OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 12:15:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Archbishop Tikhon elected Metropolitan of All American and Canada  (Read 2839 times) Average Rating: 0
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« on: November 13, 2012, 05:25:09 PM »

http://oca.org/news/headline-news/archbishop-tikhon-elected-metropolitan-of-all-american-and-canada

Archbishop Tikhon, Archbishop of Philadelphia and Eastern Pennsylvania, was elected Primate of the Orthodox Church in America during the 17th All-American Council of the Orthodox Church in America at Holy Trinity Church here Tuesday, November 13, 2012.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 05:25:25 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
brittrossiter

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

jasonrossiter
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 05:25:29 PM »

Archbishop Tikhon, Archbishop of Philadelphia and Eastern Pennsylvania, was elected Primate of the Orthodox Church in America during the 17th All-American Council of the Orthodox Church in America at Holy Trinity Church here Tuesday, November 13, 2012.

http://oca.org/news/headline-news/archbishop-tikhon-elected-metropolitan-of-all-american-and-canada
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 05:28:52 PM »

Axios! I understand the top two vote getters were Archbishop Tikhon and Bishop Michael. Devin commented on the other thread that the Archbishop is only 46. If he is blessed with good health and better luck - he could be Metropolitan for four decades or more. Perhaps the fact that Bishop Michael is 63 had some bearing on the outcome as the Synod may have felt that a likely lengthy period of tenure would be in the OCA's best interests. I have heard good things about the new Metropolitan and we all should wish him well and pray for a peaceful reign. Again, AXIOS!
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 05:29:03 PM »

His biography is available here:

Archbishop of Washington, Metropolitan of All American and Canada
http://oca.org/holy-synod/bishops/the-most-blessed-tikhon

Forgive my sins.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 05:30:06 PM »

Woah, that's my bishop!

Axios!

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 05:33:02 PM »

His biography is available here:

Archbishop of Washington, Metropolitan of All American and Canada
http://oca.org/holy-synod/bishops/the-most-blessed-tikhon

I wonder where he lived in Missouri.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 05:45:58 PM »

Woah, that's my bishop!

Axios!

thoughts on the pic? 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 06:02:08 PM »

I'm really not qualified to assess who is best for the job, but from what I've seen of him, Archbishop Tikhon strikes me as a kind and unassuming monk and he's been a good pastor for Eastern PA. I think he will do well.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 06:05:07 PM »

Axios! Axios! Axios!

I clearly remembered his Beatitude, but was pleasantly surprised that he remembered me, picking me out of the crowd at the consecration of +Bishop Melchisedek to talk and catch up.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
brittrossiter

jasonrossiter
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 06:06:25 PM »

I have had the pleasure of meeting and speaking with +Tikhon on multiple occasions. He is a very humble, thoughtful person, and I am very impressed with him.

Axios!
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 06:11:23 PM »

Axios! Habemus Metropolitanum! What a joy for our Church to once again have a Primate as we enter Advent!

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 06:35:55 PM »

Axios!!!

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The San Franciscan Orthodox Church of New York, Big Apple and Fourth Rome

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 08:44:41 PM »

Axios!

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The San Franciscan Orthodox Church of New York, Big Apple and Fourth Rome

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 09:20:47 PM »

For anyone interested, there were interviews done at the last Assembly of Canonical Orthodox Bishops of North and Central America of a few of the hierarchs present, and His Eminence Metropolitan (then Archbishop) Tikhon was one of them.

Might give a little insight into the new Metropolitan for those that know little about him.  Smiley

http://www.assemblyofbishops.org/multimedia/conversations

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 04:49:20 PM »

Thanks for the additional info^ Wink

I only know of him what my good friend told me of his experiences as he followed +TIKHON around to different parishes, assisting as deacon to His Beatitude's dioceses charitable affairs and associations with STOTS. It was my understanding that he loves social ministries.

I believe he will be the much needed medicine for our jurisdiction. Humble. Loves God. A careful administrator. Charitable.

Many years! Axios!

On a side note, I noticed how awfully quiet the Runamuckos bunch are. I guess they'll just wait til the next time they can jump in to the rumor mill. Anyone know if the guy who runs it is even in the OCA?

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
ilyazhito
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 05:35:12 PM »

Hope that he will be able to restore the OCA to what it was before the war on Metropolitan Jonah.
Preserve O God, the Orthodox faith of Orthodox Christians, unto ages of ages.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 05:36:00 PM »

Hope that he will be able to restore the OCA to what it was before the war on Metropolitan Jonah.

'Cause that was such a Golden Age.

ilyazhito
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 05:43:18 PM »

Yeah, and hopefully to before the financila scandal as well, because that definitely threatened to destroy the OCA.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 05:44:06 PM »

Interestingly, the OCA elected a second Anglican in row for the metropolitan see. Not, that's not bad, just interesting.

Worthy!
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 11:18:34 PM »

On a side note, I noticed how awfully quiet the Runamuckos bunch are. I guess they'll just wait til the next time they can jump in to the rumor mill. Anyone know if the guy who runs it is even in the OCA?

George is a member of the OCA I believe. The Monomackos bunch are relatively silent because there is nothing more to say at this juncture. The ongoing mistreatment of Metropolitan Jonah was not mentioned and certainly not dealt with as of yet. Well, the day before they did say a deal was in the works and both sides aren't talking about it, even though those still close to Met. Jonah deny this is true. Same old same old. A new non controversial metropolitan was elected, a man who seems to be of good repute by most of those who know him…including priests I know and trust who think well of him. How his reign turns out time will tell. May God grant him wisdom and strength.

For many of us, trust in the Holy Synod as presently composed is gone and it will not be easily won back.  So, we're quiet, and likely to grow quieter. We wait to see what more will be done for or to His Beatitude, Metropolitan Jonah. We hope they will do right, but we're not holding our breath.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 11:24:01 PM »

Axios!
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2012, 01:25:55 AM »

George is a member of the OCA I believe. The Monomackos bunch are relatively silent because there is nothing more to say at this juncture. The ongoing mistreatment of Metropolitan Jonah was not mentioned and certainly not dealt with as of yet. Well, the day before they did say a deal was in the works and both sides aren't talking about it, even though those still close to Met. Jonah deny this is true. Same old same old. A new non controversial metropolitan was elected, a man who seems to be of good repute by most of those who know him…including priests I know and trust who think well of him. How his reign turns out time will tell. May God grant him wisdom and strength.

For many of us, trust in the Holy Synod as presently composed is gone and it will not be easily won back.  So, we're quiet, and likely to grow quieter. We wait to see what more will be done for or to His Beatitude, Metropolitan Jonah. We hope they will do right, but we're not holding our breath.

I say thanks be to God the Monomakhos crowd has shut up. I'll quote good old Obi-Wan...
"Monomakhos, you'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy, we must be cautious."

Axios to his eminence Metropolitan Tikhon!

And many years to his grace former Metropolitan Jonah. I hope the rest of his life is spent in peace and in a place and position that he desires.
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2012, 04:07:00 AM »

Devin, after writing this ^ & this... "
 If the Synod takes issue with his words about stepping down and abandoning autocephaly for jurisdictional unity then they can simply shut up and shove it.

The respect I have for the EP also doesn't mean I'm not happy when a canonical bishop openly calls him out on matters where he should be. If the Synod didn't like that they can also shut up and shove it.

If they didn't like the fact that he openly confronted and opposed immorality in our society like abortion and gay marriage then our bishops can shove it.

If they didn't like how he was speaking with conservative Anglicans with the hope of leading them to the churh then the synod can shove it...

Bishop Jonah was under a lot of stress and I will be willing to say that a lot of that is the fault of the Synod.

If any bishop in the synod took issue with his beatitude for any of the above, then that/those bishop(s) can simply take their staffs and shove them far up where the sun don't shine.
I say thanks be to God the Monomakhos crowd has shut up. I'll quote good old Obi-Wan...
"Monomakhos, you'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy, we must be cautious."

And many years to his grace former Metropolitan Jonah. I hope the rest of his life is spent in peace and in a place and position that he desires."

do you just hate the synod as much as those who are on the site? I'm confused.

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2012, 04:21:31 AM »

I don't know that there's any standard to which anyone should wish to restore the OCA. I think our best course of action is to learn from the failures of our past and strive to move forward in a spirit of repentance.

I also think you slander the Synod by claiming that they waged some kind of war against Metropolitan Jonah.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 04:25:31 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2012, 10:11:09 AM »

If the Synod takes issue with his words about stepping down and abandoning autocephaly for jurisdictional unity then they can simply shut up and shove it.

The respect I have for the EP also doesn't mean I'm not happy when a canonical bishop openly calls him out on matters where he should be. If the Synod didn't like that they can also shut up and shove it.

If they didn't like the fact that he openly confronted and opposed immorality in our society like abortion and gay marriage then our bishops can shove it.

If they didn't like how he was speaking with conservative Anglicans with the hope of leading them to the churh then the synod can shove it...

Bishop Jonah was under a lot of stress and I will be willing to say that a lot of that is the fault of the Synod.

If any bishop in the synod took issue with his beatitude for any of the above, then that/those bishop(s) can simply take their staffs and shove them far up where the sun don't shine.

And many years to his grace former Metropolitan Jonah. I hope the rest of his life is spent in peace and in a place and position that he desires."

The quote from Star Wars refers to the Monomakhos folks - not the Synod. If you've followed Devin's posts over the past months, that seems clear to me.
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2012, 12:04:23 PM »

George is a member of the OCA I believe. The Monomackos bunch are relatively silent because there is nothing more to say at this juncture. The ongoing mistreatment of Metropolitan Jonah was not mentioned and certainly not dealt with as of yet. Well, the day w they did say a deal was in the works and both sides aren't talking about it, even though those still close to Met. Jonah deny this is true. Same old same old. A new non controversial metropolitan was elected, a man who seems to be of good repute by most of those who know him…including priests I know and trust who think well of him. How his reign turns out time will tell. May God grant him wisdom and strength.

The quote from Star Wars refers to the Monomakhos folks - not the Synod. If you've followed Devin's posts over the past months, that seems clear to me.
I quoted Devine comments from an earlier post in July on another thread. It's as if he switched opinions somewhere along the way. Went from telling us the bishops could "shove it" and other things, to saying the quote from Star Wars about those who post on Monomakhos. This is what I was pointing out.

88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2012, 12:08:50 PM »

George is a member of the OCA I believe. The Monomackos bunch are relatively silent because there is nothing more to say at this juncture. The ongoing mistreatment of Metropolitan Jonah was not mentioned and certainly not dealt with as of yet. Well, the day w they did say a deal was in the works and both sides aren't talking about it, even though those still close to Met. Jonah deny this is true. Same old same old. A new non controversial metropolitan was elected, a man who seems to be of good repute by most of those who know him…including priests I know and trust who think well of him. How his reign turns out time will tell. May God grant him wisdom and strength.

I quoted Devine comments from an earlier post in July on another thread. It's as if he switched opinions somewhere along the way. Went from telling us the bishops could "shove it" and other things, to saying the quote from Star Wars about those who post on Monomakhos. This is what I was pointing out.

I'm not allowed to realize I was wrong and change my mind? That was almost 5 months ago. On the Internet, even 1 or 2 months is a "long time".
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2012, 12:20:09 PM »

they didn't like how he was speaking with conservative Anglicans with the hope of leading them to the churh then the synod can shove it...

I'm not allowed to realize I was wrong and change my mind? That was almost 5 months ago. On the Internet, even 1 or 2 months is a "long time".

Of course you can change your mind! In fact I'm glad you did. I was confused because you seemed so passionate about slandering the Synod.

Regardless, I hope you learn a lesson, to wait and watch as things transpire before being so reactionary. May God watch over us both as I have also been guilty of jumping the gun before!

kijabeboy03
High Elder

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 11:15:12 PM »

He is worthy! Axios!

On the second round Bishop Michael got 355 votes to Archbishop Tikhon's 317 and Bishop Melchisedek's 161 (not that the second runner up factors into things). Any of the top three would have been worthy - we're blessed :-).

Axios! I understand the top two vote getters were Archbishop Tikhon and Bishop Michael. Devin commented on the other thread that the Archbishop is only 46. If he is blessed with good health and better luck - he could be Metropolitan for four decades or more. Perhaps the fact that Bishop Michael is 63 had some bearing on the outcome as the Synod may have felt that a likely lengthy period of tenure would be in the OCA's best interests. I have heard good things about the new Metropolitan and we all should wish him well and pray for a peaceful reign. Again, AXIOS!

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2012, 11:55:40 PM »

anyone know if he is most of a liberal or a traditionalist? ;P

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2012, 12:17:47 AM »

Why do those labels matter? The question we should be asking is this: Is His Beatitude orthodox?
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2012, 12:29:59 AM »

Why do those labels matter? The question we should be asking is this: Is His Beatitude orthodox?
Unless he has changed, he is.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2012, 01:32:08 AM »

Yes, he is
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2012, 03:25:22 AM »

Yes, he is

He is also well received by both Serbian and Russian bishops AFAIK.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 03:26:43 AM by simplygermain » Logged

Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2012, 05:33:33 AM »

Okay then... I will ask it another way

What is his position on ecumenism?

What is his position on the Word Council of churches?

What is his position on baptism?

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »

I expect his position on anything is the traditional OCA position. In other words, traditional Orthodox position.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2012, 05:38:25 PM »

ISTM that the terms "liberal" and "traditional" are so poorly defined and understood as to be virtually useless for the purposes of discussion. Especially with regards to Orthodoxy.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Clemente
Elder

Jurisdiction: Europe

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2012, 05:58:05 PM »

ISTM that the terms "liberal" and "traditional" are so poorly defined and understood as to be virtually useless for the purposes of discussion. Especially with regards to Orthodoxy.

Amen. Thankfully, that is true in Orthodoxy, unlike in Anglicanism and Roman Catholicism.

Cradle Orthodox, you can't imagine the battles you have missed.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2012, 05:58:23 PM »

He left the Episcopalians.

He didn't care for the craziness IIRC.
He's all for it.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2012, 12:30:14 AM »

He left the Episcopalians.

He didn't care for the craziness IIRC.
He's all for it.

Perhaps the best response ever! lol
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2012, 11:05:04 AM »

He's all for it.

Amen!

Love it - lol!

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2012, 09:56:37 PM »

Metropolitan Tikhon to be enthroned in DC January 27, 2013
http://oca.org/news/headline-news/metropolitan-tikhon-to-be-enthroned-in-dc-january-27-2013
ThePilgrim

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2012, 03:15:30 PM »

I just noticed that on the OCA's website, where it has Met. Tikhon's congratulatory greetings posted, there's a tiny bit of humor.  The Greek metropolitan of New Jersey addressed his letter to "Your Eminence," and the OCA added "(sic)" after it.  I don't know why, but that made me smile.
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2012, 03:24:39 PM »

Forgive my ignorance, but what does that mean?

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2012, 03:45:05 PM »

Forgive my ignorance, but what does that mean?

It could mean any number of things.  From the get-go, the most obvious is that the title for the Metropolitan of the OCA is "Your Beatitude", not "Your Eminence". 

Also though, Met. Evangelos may be used to calling all metropolitans "Your Eminence" since that is the official moniker of a metropolitan in the GOA. 

Who knows, but I could see why Fr. John would find it interesting. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: