OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 31, 2014, 02:30:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can a catechumen recieve sacraments? (Catachumen from Coptic/Catholic)  (Read 953 times) Average Rating: 0
loser

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ?

« on: November 12, 2012, 05:27:17 PM »

Suppose a member of the Catholic or the Coptic church decides to become a catecumen in the Eastern Orthodox Church. Suppose also that the church decides that this convert shall be recieved on confession of faith alone. (He will not be re-baptized or re-christened). I know that that is sometimes the case. I understand that, while a catachumen, he is not allowed to receive communion. Is that correct? My second question is: can he receive confession?

Please tell me the most traditional view of the church. Please, no opinions or conventions. I really want to know what the Orthodox tradition is. Citations would be great.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 07:25:41 PM »

No Eucharist and no absolution. I don't see anything wrong in confessing without asking for absolution.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 07:55:09 PM »

No, Sacraments, or Holy Mysteries, are reserved for only " the devout and Orthodox Christians," as we say liturgically; they must be anointed and imbued with the "Seal and Gift of the Holy Spirit," the Holy Myron or Chrism, and be members of the "Body of Christ," in order to participate.  In the Early Church, the Catechumens stood in the Narthex, they were not permitted entry into the Nave of the Church until their baptism. Baptistry's were apart from the Nave of the church.  The tradition of the procession around the Baptismal Font is reminiscent of the procession from the Baptismal Chapel to the church.  Recall the Litany of the Catechumens, "Ye Catechumens, depart ye Catechumens," following the Liturgy of the Word.  And likewise, "The doors, the doors, in wisdom let us be attentive;" closing the doors to ensure that the unbaptized do not enter is what that exclamation refers to, prior to the profession of the "Symbol of Faith," the Creed.  This is the situation regardless of the manner of receipt of the convert.

Certainly, the post above recommending counsel from your spiritual father has a good deal of merit.  Be patient; patience is a Christian virtue we all need to attain.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 07:57:25 PM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
loser

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ?

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 08:57:24 PM »

Thanks guys. I appreciate your prompt replies.
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 09:10:13 PM »

I can only add this: Is not a 100 % for sure that the priest would hear your confession either. Mine told me to stick to psalm 50 in the morning and psalm 51 in the evening and offer it up to God.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: