OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 12:47:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Abraham Lincoln's Faith, 'Battle With God,' Explored In New Book  (Read 274 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: November 12, 2012, 05:19:08 PM »

Lincoln's Battle with God: A President's Struggle with Faith and What it Meant for America (Thomas Nelson), by Stephen Mansfield
In his 20s, freed from the strict Calvinistic beliefs of his father and other youthful religious influences – including the wild enthusiasms of revival meetings – Lincoln for a time vehemently and publicly rejected the religious givens of contemporary America.
This early, fanatical anti-religion, which followed Lincoln even as he became an Illinois legislator and later a lawyer, "makes us wonder if the fuel of this heat wasn't some other hatred entirely," Mansfield says – suggesting it could have been rage against his father, or against petty preachers, or even against a God that had allowed the deaths of his mother, sister and sweetheart.
The death of his beloved son, Willie, in the depths of the Civil War might have turned Lincoln permanently from God, but instead confirmed his religious quest, Mansfield argues. Insistently, he asked clergymen for guidance about "the state of the soul after death."

He came to see the unrelenting carnage of the Civil War as God's judgment and punishment for slavery, as he says in his second inaugural shortly before his assassination.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 05:19:32 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 11:52:49 AM »

Go see the movie - it is wonderful.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 04:21:37 PM »

My mom wants me to.  I love Daniel Day-Lewis but I am not really that much of a Lincoln fan.  I'd rather watch a flick about Thomas Jefferson or Ben Franklin.

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 04:59:36 PM »

My mom wants me to.  I love Daniel Day-Lewis but I am not really that much of a Lincoln fan.  I'd rather watch a flick about Thomas Jefferson or Ben Franklin.

Spielberg is the killer for me.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: