Author Topic: Huge water sources found in Kenya, Namibia  (Read 208 times)

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Chapter one again, here I go again
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Huge water sources found in Kenya, Namibia
« on: September 11, 2013, 03:38:39 PM »
The countries of Kenya and Namibia may not have to look far for plentiful water supplies. In Turkana, northern Kenya, a large aquifer looks fit to potentially supply the whole country for decades. Another similar source was found in the country of Namibia, which has also been hit by drought.

From the article:
The discovery of two aquifers brings hope to the drought-hit region, tweeted Environment Minister Judi Wakhungu.

They were found in the Turkana Basin and Lotikipi Basin using satellites and radar.

Last year, scientists released a map detailing the vast reservoirs which lie under much of Africa.

Nice to have some positive news once in a while. :)

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
Re: Huge water sources found in Kenya, Namibia
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 03:46:28 PM »
Yeah!  :)

Offline Santagranddad

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 04:24:57 PM »
The amount of fresh as opposed to salt water available on the planet is amazing small. A growing population and ever increasing industrial demands have and will lead to very real tensions between nations. This is already happening in the Levant, with a bellicose Israel threatening neighbours upstream over their plans for water extraction. The same issues have arisen over plans to divert a stretch of the Nile.

So news of two huge aquifers being found in sub-Saharan Africa has to be good news.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 06:16:56 AM »
But what if they find water polluting their natural gas reservoirs when they attempt to drill for this water? Sounds way too risky.
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.