OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 02:31:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Science Fiction Pet Peeve  (Read 171 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« on: September 13, 2013, 10:49:52 AM »

I am thinking primarily of Star Trek stuff here, mostly just because that is what I am most familiar with. Anyway, the inconsistency in villainy from episode to episode annoys me. Like these really devastating weapons will be invented in an episode, and then they'll never be used again. If you could destroy a planet by sending a certain type of bomb into its star, then why don't these ruthless races or empires do this to conquer their enemies? Why do they instead think it preferable to lose thousands of ships, millions of lives, and tons of resources, waging an ongoing war? Or, another example, if you can use a probe with a bomb to fly around in space outside a ship or space station, identify a target, then blow the window(s) apart, sucking the target into space and killing them, why doesn't this happen more often? Or, another example, there was an episode where a phaser rifle was created that had a scope that could see into other rooms, and when "fired" quickly transported the discharged energy projectile (or whatever term is correct) into the room of the target, thereby killing the target, with little chance of the killer getting caught. Seems like a great way to take out a Sisko or Picard or whoever if you are a Dominion/Cardassian/whatever soldier.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 11:09:44 AM »

Well, if you look at Star Wars, after the Death Star gets blown up, they try to build another one, so that seems to be more consistent.  Star Trek is more focused on moralizing than creating a great story, IMHO.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 08:38:13 PM »

Star wars has also done their share of moralizing at the expense of story consistency, but they are under less pressure too.
When you are writing a series there are also many different writers, each writing different episode, as well as having to produce one every week, makes it much harder to be consistent. Under those circumstances I would say that Star Trek has done a great job over the years.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 09:15:54 PM »

I am thinking primarily of Star Trek stuff here, mostly just because that is what I am most familiar with. Anyway, the inconsistency in villainy from episode to episode annoys me. Like these really devastating weapons will be invented in an episode, and then they'll never be used again. If you could destroy a planet by sending a certain type of bomb into its star, then why don't these ruthless races or empires do this to conquer their enemies? Why do they instead think it preferable to lose thousands of ships, millions of lives, and tons of resources, waging an ongoing war? Or, another example, if you can use a probe with a bomb to fly around in space outside a ship or space station, identify a target, then blow the window(s) apart, sucking the target into space and killing them, why doesn't this happen more often? Or, another example, there was an episode where a phaser rifle was created that had a scope that could see into other rooms, and when "fired" quickly transported the discharged energy projectile (or whatever term is correct) into the room of the target, thereby killing the target, with little chance of the killer getting caught. Seems like a great way to take out a Sisko or Picard or whoever if you are a Dominion/Cardassian/whatever soldier.

Galactic Geneva Convention?

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: