OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 24, 2014, 12:53:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Space. The Final Frontier. These Are the Voyages of... Um... Voyager!  (Read 1121 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: November 11, 2012, 03:43:45 PM »

Voyager I on cusp of interstellar space trek

Thirty-five years ago, Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 began touring the solar system, with Voyager 1 now preparing to exit the bubble and continue its epic journey through interstellar space.

When it becomes the first spacecraft to depart the solar system, it might not command the attention that men on the moon did in 1969, but it will rank high on the list of Space Age achievements...
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 03:46:58 PM »

+++
Ashman618
High Elder

Faith: Ukranian catholic
Jurisdiction: Philadelphia

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 04:06:24 PM »

There's something rather illuminous about the idea of celebrating the divine liturgy in deep space one day Smiley
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 04:21:19 PM »

There's something rather illuminous about the idea of celebrating the divine liturgy in deep space one day Smiley

How does one find East?  Grin

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 05:00:39 PM »

Just look right; that's what I always do.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Gamliel
Archon

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 05:01:35 PM »

How does one find East?  Grin
Just project earth's longitude and latitude grids out a few parsecs. Cool
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 07:50:23 PM »

Sorta shows our silliness about facing east, I am sure God thinks it is absurd in the big picture.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
choy
Archon

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 08:07:17 PM »

We face East because we want to face the rising Sun.  In space you have to calculate for the nearest star and face towards it  Grin
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 09:51:15 PM »

Sorta shows our silliness about facing east, I am sure God thinks it is absurd in the big picture.

I wouldn't say that.  It is referenced far too many times not to be relevant.  It's also another reason I feel we are alone in the universe.  If everything didn't revolve around our relationship with God, I don't feel there would be so many specifics attached to direction, days, times, etc.  
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 10:04:07 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Gamliel
Archon

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 10:00:01 PM »

We face East because we want to face the rising Sun.  In space you have to calculate for the nearest star and face towards it  Grin
What if we have a double or triple star? police
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 10:12:16 PM »

triple star?

Yes. We would face that one.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 07:55:06 PM »

I wouldn't say that.  It is referenced far too many times not to be relevant.  It's also another reason I feel we are alone in the universe.  If everything didn't revolve around our relationship with God, I don't feel there would be so many specifics attached to direction, days, times, etc.  

There is very little chance that we are alone in the universe.
There are 100 billion stars in just our Galaxy.
There are 100s of Billions of other Galaxies.
Do you realize man cannot in one lifetime count to one billion, if you counted every day for 80 years?

They said the same thing when Galileo said he had proof that Copernicus sun centered system was correct.

Where does the Bible tell you about that ,or dinosaurs.

DO NOT GET ME WRONG ,The Kingdom of God is real, but as Galileo once said the Bible teaches how to go to heaven, not how the heavens Go.

Man Is to humble oneself , that is what Jesus taught, so all those numbers and facts serve his purpose.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 08:01:52 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Ashman618
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 09:18:01 PM »

I have always found it highly interesting that in the homilies of St. Issac the Syrian, which date I believe to the 5th or 6th century, he knew that the earth traveled around the sun and that the earth was about 75 percent water.  Very curious indeed.
choy
Archon

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 10:05:51 PM »

What if we have a double or triple star? police

Then the double star would represent the 2 natures of Christ, the triple star would represent the Trinity. Wink
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 11:39:05 PM »

Do you realize man cannot in one lifetime count to one billion, if you counted every day for 80 years?

They said the same thing when Galileo said he had proof that Copernicus sun centered system was correct.

DO NOT GET ME WRONG ,The Kingdom of God is real, but as Galileo once said the Bible teaches how to go to heaven, not how the heavens Go.

Man Is to humble oneself , that is what Jesus taught, so all those numbers and facts serve his purpose.

It's called a personal opinion.  They are like belly buttons.  Everyone has them, including me. Wink
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 04:05:26 AM »

It's called a personal opinion.  They are like belly buttons.  Everyone has them, including me. Wink
Sorry I was so short.  I was typing more and my wife told me she needed my help, so I had to rush off.  I think there is just as much chance we are alone in the universe as there is we are not alone in the universe.  I know billion is a large number.  I see our national deficit increase by the billions daily.  I don’t know how Copernicus fits into this. 

All I am saying is, the direction east is of significant importance in the scriptures and Holy Tradition.  If it is so, it must be for a reason.  If east is specifically important to earth, and nowhere else in the universe, it seems rather insignificant on the larger scale.  I, personally, do see the purpose in using east if it is insignificant, especially when, if it’s just some random direction, any other direction could have been used. 

So, if east is used for a reason, a specific, thought out reason, and cannot be applied anywhere else in the cosmos, this tends to suggest nothing else in the cosmos needs it, which suggests, there is no one out there in the cosmos to need it.  Could I be wrong?  Of course, but these are just my thoughts on the matter. 

Trust me, if Vulcans land and ask for volunteers to travel the universe, I jumping to the front of the line.  I just don’t think it will ever happen.
Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 07:07:12 PM »

Sorry I was so short.  I was typing more and my wife told me she needed my help, so I had to rush off.  I think there is just as much chance we are alone in the universe as there is we are not alone in the universe.  I know billion is a large number.  I see our national deficit increase by the billions daily.  I don’t know how Copernicus fits into this. 

All I am saying is, the direction east is of significant importance in the scriptures and Holy Tradition.  If it is so, it must be for a reason.  If east is specifically important to earth, and nowhere else in the universe, it seems rather insignificant on the larger scale.  I, personally, do see the purpose in using east if it is insignificant, especially when, if it’s just some random direction, any other direction could have been used. 

So, if east is used for a reason, a specific, thought out reason, and cannot be applied anywhere else in the cosmos, this tends to suggest nothing else in the cosmos needs it, which suggests, there is no one out there in the cosmos to need it.  Could I be wrong?  Of course, but these are just my thoughts on the matter. 

Trust me, if Vulcans land and ask for volunteers to travel the universe, I jumping to the front of the line.  I just don’t think it will ever happen.

There are reasons we will never see them here or go where they are, but I cannot believe we are special to be the only ones.

Copernicus was spurned by the church when he theorized correctly that we are not at the center. The sun is of our system.
The Church refused to accept that, it is the cause of many propblems in the past.

Jesus said he is always with you, and when he gave his sermons in the open air he never mentioned which way you should face when you say the lords prayer.

Matthew 28
16Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them. 17And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted. 18And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Ashman618
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 08:39:36 PM »

There are reasons we will never see them here or go where they are, but I cannot believe we are special to be the only ones.

Copernicus was spurned by the church when he theorized correctly that we are not at the center. The sun is of our system.
The Church refused to accept that, it is the cause of many propblems in the past.

Jesus said he is always with you, and when he gave his sermons in the open air he never mentioned which way you should face when you say the lords prayer.

Matthew 28
16Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them. 17And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted. 18And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

If there are others and we never see them then how are we to preach the gospel and baptize all nations if that nation is not reachable.  Christ was only sacrificed once for all so how do we reconcile this?
Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 09:20:55 PM »

Humble ourselves , that we are not in charge of Gods Universe.

Ashman618
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »

Humble ourselves , that we are not in charge of Gods Universe.

Fantastic cuz I can't stand being in charge of anything!!!!  That comes with managing a grocery store for years lol
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 09:38:35 PM »

It would be interesting if the aliens said that they had been so afraid of contacting us out of religious caution, for in us God became one with sentient beings, our race being the point of contact of the Uncreated with the Created and they dared not touch something so sacred.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Ashman618
High Elder

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 09:45:50 PM »

It would be interesting if the aliens said that they had been so afraid of contacting us out of religious caution, for in us God became one with sentient beings, our race being the point of contact of the Uncreated with the Created and they dared not touch something so sacred.

Lol humanity= "Eliot Ness and the untouchables" nice!
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 11:40:03 AM »

Matthew 28

If there are others and we never see them then how are we to preach the gospel and baptize all nations if that nation is not reachable.  Christ was only sacrificed once for all so how do we reconcile this?

It's only an issue if the Second Coming is going to be soon.  I find it kind of hopeful, actually.  It took us 1500 years to bring the true faith to the Western Hemisphere.  It might take another couple thousand to find intelligent life on another world.  Then we can either convert them or kill them just like we always do.  We just need to make sure the Moselms never get rockets and get there first.
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 12:42:11 PM »

Unless Rare Earth is correct.

The Rare Earth hypothesis argues that the emergence of complex multicellular life (metazoa) on Earth (and, as follows, intelligence) required an improbable combination of astrophysical and geological events and circumstances. The term "Rare Earth" comes from Rare Earth: Why Complex Life Is Uncommon in the Universe (2000), a book by Peter Ward, a geologist and paleontologist, and Donald E. Brownlee, an astronomer and astrobiologist.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_Earth_hypothesis

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2013, 06:23:37 PM »

I can't wait till the Enterprise retrieves this and brings it back for display in a museum, that's gonna be so cool  Smiley
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2013, 02:22:10 AM »

Exiting the Solar System and Fulfilling a Dream

...Dr. Gurnett and his team have spent the past few months analyzing their data, trying to nail down whether what they were seeing was solar plasma or the plasma of interstellar space. Now they are certain it was the latter, and have even pinpointed a date for the crossing: Aug. 25, 2012...

The 8-track tape stuff is hilarious and cool  Cool
Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2013, 03:39:57 AM »

We must consider that as we have learned as we go along that we are not at the center of anything, there are probably billions of other universes as well . That does not diminish us or God in it all, he still loves us whether or not we are alone, but there are angels that are not of this earth , so that tends to suggest that everyone is not of earth.

Where is God from?

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: