OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 07:28:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the Eucharist an Atoning Sacrifice from the Orthodox POV Like in RCism?  (Read 554 times) Average Rating: 0
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians

Partisangirl
« on: November 11, 2012, 06:32:21 AM »

?

(5 characters)

In solidarity with the "Nasara" (i.e. Christians) of Iraq & Syria

On hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact

NOTE: Some of my older posts may not reflect my current views
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians

Partisangirl
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 06:36:33 AM »

Yes, it is. I guess if anyone wants to provide some sources regarding the issue, they can. Smiley

In solidarity with the "Nasara" (i.e. Christians) of Iraq & Syria

On hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact

NOTE: Some of my older posts may not reflect my current views
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 07:08:32 AM »

Is the Eucharist a Sacrifice? Yes.

Is the Eucharist an anoting sacrifice like in RCism? I'm not sure. The Catholic version seems a lot more developed than the Orthodox version so I'm not sure whether it's exactly the same.

Yes, it is. I guess if anyone wants to provide some sources regarding the issue, they can. Smiley

Canon of Sarum mass:

Therefore, most gracious Father, through Jesus Christ Thy Son our Lord, we humbly beseech Thee and we desire that Thou accept and bless these gifts, these things Thou gavest us, these holy unspotted sacrifices, which we offer Thee, first, for Thy Holy Catholic Church...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 07:26:27 AM by Alpo » Logged
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 07:35:13 AM »

Is the Eucharist a Sacrifice? Yes.

Is the Eucharist an anoting sacrifice like in RCism? I'm not sure. The Catholic version seems a lot more developed than the Orthodox version so I'm not sure whether it's exactly the same.

Canon of Sarum mass:

Therefore, most gracious Father, through Jesus Christ Thy Son our Lord, we humbly beseech Thee and we desire that Thou accept and bless these gifts, these things Thou gavest us, these holy unspotted sacrifices, which we offer Thee, first, for Thy Holy Catholic Church...

The Catholics got their mass from us so it couldnt be more developed!  Wink
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 07:36:19 AM by Cantor Krishnich » Logged

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 08:47:43 AM »

The Canon I quoted was not Catholic but Orthodox. Also, I'm not sure whether RCs have developed their theology beyond just the text of the mass.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 11:49:03 AM »

Atonement is reconciliation between God and human. Any sacrifice is an atonement.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kolodziej
Elder

Faith: Catholic (Carmelite wannabe)
Jurisdiction: The Bishop of Raleigh

which way's mt. carmel again???

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »

The Canon I quoted was not Catholic but Orthodox. Also, I'm not sure whether RCs have developed their theology beyond just the text of the mass.

It's the Roman Canon (translated into English), which predates the Schism and we used up until about 1970 when a bunch of guys came up with a bunch of shorter ones containing the essential (for us) "This is my Body...This is my Blood" plus an explicit epiklesis, minus much mention of a sacrifice, trying to appease everyone else. That's a different topic altogether though...

In Catholic theological terms, the Eucharist is the unbloody re-presentation, maybe better yet anamnesis of the once for all sacrifice of Our Lord Jesus Christ on the Cross at Calvary. So not an atoning sacrifice, the Atoning Sacrifice.

St. Justin Martyr, St. John Cassian, St. Simon Stock, St. Theresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, pray for me!
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 03:48:37 PM »

It's the Roman Canon (translated into English), which predates the Schism and we used up until about 1970 when a bunch of guys came up with a bunch of shorter ones containing the essential (for us) "This is my Body...This is my Blood" plus an explicit epiklesis, minus much mention of a sacrifice, trying to appease everyone else. That's a different topic altogether though...

In Catholic theological terms, the Eucharist is the unbloody re-presentation, maybe better yet anamnesis of the once for all sacrifice of Our Lord Jesus Christ on the Cross at Calvary. So not an atoning sacrifice, the Atoning Sacrifice.
Yep. The sacrifice of Calvary and the Eucharist are one and the same. Do the Eastern (and Oriental) Orthodox believe the same?
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 04:38:57 PM »

Yep. The sacrifice of Calvary and the Eucharist are one and the same. Do the Eastern (and Oriental) Orthodox believe the same?
Yes.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: