OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 12:42:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pope resurrects Latin with academy to boost study  (Read 836 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: November 10, 2012, 01:48:35 PM »

VATICAN CITY — The Vatican is trying to resurrect Latin.

Pope Benedict XVI issued a decree Saturday creating a new pontifical academy for Latin studies to try to boost interest in the official language of the Roman Catholic Church that is nevertheless out of widespread use elsewhere.

Benedict acknowledged Latin's fall from grace in his decree, saying future priests nowadays often learn only a "superficial" knowledge of Latin in their seminaries. The new academy will promote Latin through conferences, publications and instruction in Catholic schools, universities and seminaries, he wrote.
The Vatican argues that while few ordinary Catholics may understand Latin, it is a universal language that represents the universal church and doesn't favor the language of one particular group over another. Critics say the return to Latin is just another indication of how out of touch today's Catholic Church is with the modern world.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 01:49:19 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 02:09:26 PM »

Awesome! Good for Pope Benedict XVI! I really like the current Pope.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 02:09:38 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 09:34:02 PM »

^ agreed. Wish we'd do something like this with Greek

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Rufus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 10:15:21 PM »

Yep.

A language that's important for a lot more than Church (like Latin).
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 09:38:22 PM »

I think its nice trying to revive a dead language, but I don't think that Latin should be the lingua franca of every RCC, but having that base is nice. I would still love to learn more Latin.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 10:03:01 PM »

I agree. In the Moscow Patriarchate, for example, hardly any bishop, priest, or theologian knows enough Greek to read the Bible or Fathers in that language.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 11:07:30 AM »

Since 1992, a group of Vatican scholars has issued the “Lexicon recentis Latinitatis,” which provides Latin translations of modern words, from dishwasher ("escariorum lavator") to taxi (“autocinetum meritorium”) for papal texts. But throughout the world, the English version –  and not the Latin original – is now widely used as the reference text when translating liturgical textbooks and church documents into local languages.

In October, Washington Cardinal Donald Wuerl spoke in Latin for his two major addresses at the Synod of Bishops, one of the few public events when Latin – and not Italian – is still used at a Vatican public event.

But even as Benedict called for reviving Latin as a “spoken language” too, many of the attending bishops scratched their heads as Wuerl spoke, relying instead on on-the-fly translations prepared by the Vatican press office.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 09:23:50 PM »

Deo Gratias!  Grin

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 12:02:25 AM »

The Vatican argues that while few ordinary Catholics may understand Latin, it is a universal language that represents the universal church and doesn't favor the language of one particular group over another.
Universal? Only in the West.  Which it favors. Hence "Latinization."

Because there is little evidence that Romanian is thought of in the assertions above.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 12:03:41 AM »

I agree. In the Moscow Patriarchate, for example, hardly any bishop, priest, or theologian knows enough Greek to read the Bible or Fathers in that language.
How many in the Greek Church know Slavonic?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 12:03:56 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 10:40:32 AM »

The Vatican argues that while few ordinary Catholics may understand Latin, it is a universal language that represents the universal church
Since the NT was written in Latin.....oh...wait......

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 10:49:15 AM »

How many books of Scripture, liturgies, works of patristic literature were written in Slavonic?
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 11:01:32 AM »

How many books of Scripture, liturgies, works of patristic literature were written in Slavonic?
Lots.  The Fathers didn't die off in the 10th century.

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 11:08:36 AM »

Comparatively speaking, not lots. And in terms of Scripture, nothing at all.

The Greek language is indispensable for a decent theological education, which is what our seminaries should offer our priests, Slavonic is not. It would be wonderful if priests of the Greek churches could acquaint themselves with the writings of Russian fathers in the original language (Fr. Sophrony of Essex, to pick one of the most recent examples), but surely from the pov of theological education they should master Syriac or Latin before embarking on Slavonic, Russian, or other languages.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 11:34:44 AM »

Comparatively speaking, not lots. And in terms of Scripture, nothing at all.
Au contraire.  II Esdras, in the Slavonic Bible, has not survived in Greek.

The Greek language is indispensable for a decent theological education
I would agree. But since it is not the Greek they are speaking in Greece, what do they do?

which is what our seminaries should offer our priests, Slavonic is not.
Perhaps not.  The Russian theologians write in Russian now, and more becomes available in English and French.

It would be wonderful if priests of the Greek churches could acquaint themselves with the writings of Russian fathers in the original language (Fr. Sophrony of Essex, to pick one of the most recent examples), but surely from the pov of theological education they should master Syriac or Latin before embarking on Slavonic, Russian, or other languages.
I would prefer priests pay attention to their pastoring, for which translations suffice.  That is, if they are good translations.

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 11:58:15 AM »

Au contraire.  II Esdras, in the Slavonic Bible, has not survived in Greek.

I was under the impression that the Slavonic was a translation of the Latin (which is extant), not the Greek?

I would agree. But since it is not the Greek they are speaking in Greece, what do they do?

Seminarians who only know Modern Greek should also be required to learn the Koine and Byzantine forms they use in church.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 12:16:59 PM »

Au contraire.  II Esdras, in the Slavonic Bible, has not survived in Greek.

I was under the impression that the Slavonic was a translation of the Latin (which is extant), not the Greek?
The Russian was revised I believe with the Latin in hand, but the Slavonic came from the Greek (it survives in Georgian and Armenian IIRC as well).  IIRC, though, they had to use Latin for Revelation/the Apocalypse.

Seminarians who only know Modern Greek should also be required to learn the Koine and Byzantine forms they use in church.
unless they are going to specialize in theology, such effort could be more profitably directed elsewhere, like making the Koine and Attic forms they use in Church intelligible to their congregation. Or better yet, push for translation.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 12:17:14 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: