OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 12:02:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible stumbleblock (catechumenate)  (Read 661 times) Average Rating: 0
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: November 10, 2012, 10:55:50 AM »

Hi all

Can I ask for some prayers again? I am attending a very small russian-orthodox parish (ROCOR) and we have had some catechumenate classes, but now things has completely stopped. No new reading material for next class (11.30) is avaiable, no one has any information and no one can tell if there will be anymore classes after christmas. No one has any ideas at all about how things will be.

It is hard to not feel a bit like a big question mark right now. Our priest is recovering after having a gallstone and will need surgery. So what happens now, I do not know. I know only that i got a some things to ask The Lord about (and it makes me feel bad, as He has given me far more than i ever have deserved).

In the meantime, reading the books I have, pray (morning and eve) and attending services is all that can be done.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
Ashman618
High Elder

Faith: Ukranian catholic
Jurisdiction: Philadelphia

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 11:39:58 AM »

How much more wonderful will communion finally be after all your pacient endurance!!!!!!
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 11:40:42 AM »

Prayers for you, your priest, and other catechumens.

In the meantime, reading the books I have, pray (morning and eve) and attending services is all that can be done.

And being faithful in these matters will be a helpful catechism. Don't despair.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 02:54:50 PM »

Lord have mercy.

angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 03:35:08 PM »

Lord have mercy!

Maybe it's a kind of test given to you by God that you can make sure you want to join the Orthodox Church and be stronger in the faith becasue of these difficult circumstances.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Mivac

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 04:33:27 PM »

Hi all

Can I ask for some prayers again? I am attending a very small russian-orthodox parish (ROCOR) and we have had some catechumenate classes, but now things has completely stopped. No new reading material for next class (11.30) is avaiable, no one has any information and no one can tell if there will be anymore classes after christmas. No one has any ideas at all about how things will be.

It is hard to not feel a bit like a big question mark right now. Our priest is recovering after having a gallstone and will need surgery. So what happens now, I do not know. I know only that i got a some things to ask The Lord about (and it makes me feel bad, as He has given me far more than i ever have deserved).

Patience.  I had to wait almost 4 years before being received and even in that time I am told by others that I changed for the better.
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 06:04:26 PM »

There is an online catechism class somewhere. Maybe you could propose that and have someone watch the videos to see if they cover enough?

Lord have mercy.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 06:23:02 PM »

You answered your own question better than anyone:

"In the meantime, reading the books I have, pray (morning and eve) and attending services is all that can be done."

There will always be obstacles, and you will come out stronger for them.

orthodoxy if full or obstacles, its not for the faint hearted.

Think (read) of its history to get inspiration.

Lord have mercy.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 06:26:56 PM »

Hi all

My prayers for your priest and for you.

Having had a few gallstone attacks, I can say that those attacks are quite disabling and leave me feeling like I have been hit with the flu. My priest also said that he had "brain fog and went around in a daze" whenever he had an attack. He feels much better after having had his gallbladder removed.

Keep up with your prayer life. Read the lives of the saints and the appointed readings from the New Testament. I am re-reading the life of St. Seraphim of Sarov who is an awesome saint. He was almost killed by robbers who had left him for dead. St. Seraphim, who was permanently disabled by this attack, forgave them and did not press charges.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 06:29:28 PM »

Hi all

I find that the Visual Catechism of the Orthodox Church by Metropolitan Hierotheos Vlachos is like Mary Poppins, practically perfect in every way.  If you can read it and agree with it, as well as read through the Anaphora of St. Basil (and St. JC as well, but St. Basil sums up the whole) and agree with it, dedicate yourself to a life of self-examination, grace-driven personal growth, and regular participation in the Liturgy, Mysteries, and services, then you are ready--provided one more thing.  The one more thing is love of the Lord.  St. Paul says if anyone does not love the Lord, then let him be anathema.  If any of these is lacking, then you need a bit more catechism and may need to go to another parish to get it.  
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 06:32:53 PM »

this is not yet available and is oriental orthodox, not eastern, but it maybe a useful addition to your studies:
http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php/topic,13852.0.html
(orthodox online catechism).
may God give u peace and patience and health and wisdom to your priest.
Tommelomsky
Elder

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 07:22:51 PM »

Many thanks for your prayers and good advices. I will bring them with me in heart, mind and sleep.

Can tell that i just ordered a copy of Visual Catechism of the Orthodox Church by Metropolitan Hierotheos Vlachos and soon plan to buy a four book series of the catechism from St Vladimir Seminary Press i NY (USA). Have also signed for the online catechism course as suggested.

Patience is the keyword and i do need some work to be done in that department.

Bless you all for prayers and kind words. Smiley

Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Tommelomsky
Elder

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 10:27:13 AM »

Update: as the online classes is not in communion with ROCOR, it is off the list. Now my priest knows that we are waiting for more material to read. Smiley

Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 02:20:54 AM »

Lord have mercy on you both.

Countdown to our Baptisms and Chrismations:

Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
arnI

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 08:55:01 AM »

If you are not aware of this offering by the American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese, it has links to a couple of series of lessons. Scroll down to the Archived Classes section.

http://www.acrod.org/ministries/religioused/onlinelearning/onlineclassroommoodle

Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: