OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 17, 2014, 07:10:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would Neanderthals Be Able to Commune?  (Read 3668 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: November 10, 2012, 01:27:18 AM »

According to the Orthodox definition of 'personhood' and the 'soul' (things which I do not understand), would all of the other extinct species of human like Neanderthals or Homo Erectus be considered people and be allowed to receive the Sacraments like people? Or would they still be considered animals? Where do we draw the line between humans and animals? Would the Orthodox definition of personhood apply to just homo sapiens or would it apply to ALL of the species under the Homo genus? I know that it is sort of irrelevant considering that all of the other Homo species are extinct except for us, but it still is very interesting. And I also read that we have enough DNA to clone a Neanderthal in the near future. If this were to happen, could that Neanderthal become an Orthodox Christian?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 01:36:41 AM »

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

On Sabbatical until Mid-December

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 01:54:48 AM »

Christians and personhood aren't judged based on their DNA.

We commune the mentally disabled, we commune those of different cultures.

I can't imagine withholding communion because they aren't anatomically modern humans.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 01:54:57 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 02:16:01 AM »

I can't imagine withholding communion because they aren't anatomically modern humans.
Baptizing extra-terrestials shouldn't pose a problem either, right?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 02:19:21 AM »

Not if they're human in the Christian sense.

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 08:38:55 AM »

Christ died for all, not just for humans.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 09:36:45 AM »

What if the aliens are Orthodox already?

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 09:53:47 AM »

The owner of this forum and website has in other places on the Internet stated that OC.net is or has become only a forum for intellectual discussions about Orthodoxy, different from its original mission. This topic exactly displays that he is correct.

(Forum rules preclude my linking to his statement, but It's out there.)

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 10:00:15 AM »

The owner of this forum and website has in other places on the Internet stated that OC.net is or has become only a forum for intellectual discussions about Orthodoxy, different from its original mission. This topic exactly displays that he is correct.

What was the original mission?

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 10:18:34 AM »

You are overly liberal on some issues, and unnecessarily "conservative" on others. Achronos, you are unique. laugh

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 10:24:09 AM »

Christ died for all, not just for humans.

Christ died for Greek people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfXIWYdL8dU

Forgive my sins.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 05:30:55 PM »

If an ecumenical council did not explicitly condemn the discussion of hypothetical theological questions, a believable forgery should be made. Albeit, it would not stop discussion, sadly.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 05:31:21 PM by Shanghaiski » Logged

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 05:40:29 PM »

If an ecumenical council did not explicitly condemn the discussion of hypothetical theological questions, a believable forgery should be made. Albeit, it would not stop discussion, sadly.

And the harm in these discussions is...

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 05:55:27 PM »

It ranks up with the "Muslims are Christians" meme on the list of weird things the forum likes to discuss.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
choy
Archon

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »

According to the Orthodox definition of 'personhood' and the 'soul' (things which I do not understand), would all of the other extinct species of human like Neanderthals or Homo Erectus be considered people and be allowed to receive the Sacraments like people? Or would they still be considered animals? Where do we draw the line between humans and animals? Would the Orthodox definition of personhood apply to just homo sapiens or would it apply to ALL of the species under the Homo genus? I know that it is sort of irrelevant considering that all of the other Homo species are extinct except for us, but it still is very interesting. And I also read that we have enough DNA to clone a Neanderthal in the near future. If this were to happen, could that Neanderthal become an Orthodox Christian?

They have been extinct by the incarnation.  How else could they commune?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 07:25:20 PM »

Idle chatter leads to hell.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 07:32:30 PM »

Would Neanderthals Be Able to Commune?

No.  Regardless of your view on evolution, for which will assume for this thread actually exists, the answer is no.  

Why?  Apparently, the soul and conscience of a human being and free will to follow or reject God didn’t exist until modern man.  You see, when nothing turned into something, life then sprang from lifelessness, which in turn took a gagillion years to evolve into something useful, that was the point where a species could exist without outside support of some kind (evolution/God) and the soul was implanted.  If it were not true, Neanderthals (or a previous elusive species) would have been the ones to start writing the scriptures.  Since they could do little more than grunt and procreate, they didn’t have the capacity to understand eternal existence, right from wrong, God from godlessness, etc.  

So, no.  Only Homo sapiens have developed these abilities; therefore, only modern man was given the ability to commune with God.  Plus, there was no church at that time.  There are other reasons, but this pretty much sums it up.

Make sense?

It also depends on who Adam and Eve really were.  Cro-Magnon, Neanderthal, or some earlier form of monkey.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 07:38:24 PM by Kerdy » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2012, 07:35:48 PM »

Nowadays?  I don't see why not.  They are considered to be Homo Sapiens (Neanderthalensis).  Anatomical differences have never stopped the Church from bringing people into Christ's fold. 

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 07:45:46 PM »

I suppose the real question shouldn’t be hypothetical, but get right to the crux of the matter.

Can our evolutionary cousins be accepted into the Church and be in communion?  After all, there is a movement in Europe to provide them personhood, which would provide them all the benefits of humanity, and if legally a person, why not a sentient being able to vote, drive, have a paid job and ultimately, commune. 

If we, as Orthodox Christians who believe in the evolutionary theory, do not support our ape cousins accepting communion and attending confession, are we not hypocrites of the greatest degree?  How have we, since the dawn of civilization, ignored these poor wretched relatives and in turn acted in the same manner as the Jews did with the Samaritans?  Shameful is what it is.  Let’s get our cousins into the fold.  There are billions of them out their just waiting to be accepted.
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 07:48:16 PM »

They are considered to be Homo Sapiens (Neanderthalensis).   

Same Genus, but those are two different species.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 08:18:45 PM »

No.  Regardless of your view on evolution, for which will assume for this thread actually exists, the answer is no.  

Why?  Apparently, the soul and conscience of a human being and free will to follow or reject God didn’t exist until modern man.  You see, when nothing turned into something, life then sprang from lifelessness, which in turn took a gagillion years to evolve into something useful, that was the point where a species could exist without outside support of some kind (evolution/God) and the soul was implanted.  If it were not true, Neanderthals (or a previous elusive species) would have been the ones to start writing the scriptures.  Since they could do little more than grunt and procreate, they didn’t have the capacity to understand eternal existence, right from wrong, God from godlessness, etc.  

So, no.  Only Homo sapiens have developed these abilities; therefore, only modern man was given the ability to commune with God.  Plus, there was no church at that time.  There are other reasons, but this pretty much sums it up.

Make sense?

It also depends on who Adam and Eve really were.  Cro-Magnon, Neanderthal, or some earlier form of monkey.

I guess the mentally retarded and the severely autistic also can't commune...

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 08:32:01 PM »

Make sense?

You are free to guess at anything your heart desires.
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2012, 08:45:25 PM »

OR COMMUNE
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 08:48:51 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 09:26:56 PM »

Wouldn't movies, TV, and fictional books all be more idle than this?

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2012, 10:56:53 PM »

I commune, so I guess that settles it.  Neanderthals do commune.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2012, 11:37:18 PM »

Make sense?

It's a little offensive that you are comparing people with mental disabilities to neaderthals.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2012, 11:46:12 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Wait, we anachronistic Orthodox dinosaurs weren't already Neanderthals?  laugh

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2012, 12:11:11 AM »

Adam and Eve could have been Homo hablis for all we know.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2012, 12:50:46 AM »

James, I don't think that you should trouble your mind with such hypothetics.   There are many other things to be confused about.

I don't even recognize the Science behind what you are asking.  Despite what somebody dug up, there are many confusing issues and controversy about these "cave men" and their existence.

There are more important fish to fry imho.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2012, 12:52:24 AM »

We don't, because humans are animals. The question would be, what is the difference between a human animal and a non human animal.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2012, 01:10:37 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

We don't, because humans are animals. The question would be, what is the difference between a human animal and a non human animal.

So Cat can takez Communion Huh Huh

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2012, 01:16:35 AM »

No, because you can learn practical and applicable stuff from them, even secular entertainment.

This is the very definition of idle talk. It is completely hypothetical, as there are no other species of Homo sapiens in existence, and won't be for an excruciatingly long amount of of time, if ever. There is no reason to consider it because it's impossible for all intents and purposes.

It would be more productive to ask if we can commune the rocks on the moon, because at least they presently exist.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 01:20:07 AM by age234 » Logged
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2012, 01:26:15 AM »

Since they could do little more than grunt and procreate, they didn’t have the capacity to understand eternal existence, right from wrong, God from godlessness, etc.  
Neanderthals were smart enough to make complex tools, bury their dead, and use language.

So...

Also, they did not precede Homo Sapiens. They are a distinct line.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 01:26:50 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2012, 02:24:02 AM »

Adam and Eve could have been Homo hablis for all we know.

That's what I am saying.  They could have been something not Homo at all.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2012, 02:35:45 AM »

What if pigs could fly? Would they still be pork?
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2012, 02:53:17 AM »

A non-sapiens species of Homo existed as recently as about 15,000 years ago (Homo floresiensis), so who knows -- maybe we'll find other non-sapiens that existed 10, 5, even 2,000 years ago.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 02:53:38 AM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2012, 03:24:57 AM »

We're not talking about monkeys.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2012, 03:28:55 AM »

– St. Ambrose of Milan
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2012, 03:30:28 AM »

No, because you can learn practical and applicable stuff from them, even secular entertainment.

If you think nothing is to be learned from this conversation, I submit that you need to look harder.

This is the very definition of idle talk. It is completely hypothetical, as there are no other species of Homo sapiens in existence, and won't be for an excruciatingly long amount of of time, if ever. There is no reason to consider it because it's impossible for all intents and purposes.

Maybe, maybe not. But hypotheticals, contrary to popular anti-intellectual opinion, are quite useful as tools for exploring our understanding of concepts. What, in theological terms, is a human being? That is the question underlying this question, and it strikes me as a rather important one.

It would be more productive to ask if we can commune the rocks on the moon, because at least they presently exist.

It would also be trivially answered and provide no further insight into anthropology (as a subdiscipline of theology, not as the scientific study of human beings).

Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2012, 05:31:14 AM »

I once watched a documentary that said that one of the things that seperates us from neanderthals is that they did not have any imagination and were therefore unable to comprehend anything outside the physical reality which they could observe.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2012, 07:17:34 AM »

Make sense?

It's a little offensive that you are comparing people with mental disabilities to neaderthals.

Well, let me ask you this: can the severely mentally ill and severely autistic "understand eternal existence," (and, honestly, I don't know I'd agree with Kerdy that this is something a homo sapien can do), "God from godlessness," and "right from wrong?"  To Kerdy, that is what makes someone human, which was a suggestion that those homo sapiens who cannot do those things (which would also apply to all infants) are best classes as Neanderthals instead of humans.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2012, 07:52:35 AM »

Since they could do little more than grunt and procreate, they didn’t have the capacity to understand eternal existence, right from wrong, God from godlessness, etc.  
Neanderthals were smart enough to make complex tools, bury their dead, and use language.

So...

Also, they did not precede Homo Sapiens. They are a distinct line.
Dogs can learn how to open doors and close them.  That means little.

I never said one way or the other where they originated or whom they preceded.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 07:56:06 AM by Kerdy » Logged
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2012, 07:53:39 AM »

A non-sapiens species of Homo existed as recently as about 15,000 years ago (Homo floresiensis), so who knows -- maybe we'll find other non-sapiens that existed 10, 5, even 2,000 years ago.

But did they commune?
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2012, 07:54:10 AM »

Everything is talking about monkeys.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2012, 09:02:10 AM »

What a waste of bandwidth. Anyone know any Neanderthals being denied Communion?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tags: hypotheticals 
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: