OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 03:49:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Justin Welby named as next Archbishop of Canterbury  (Read 1003 times) Average Rating: 0
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« on: November 09, 2012, 07:30:40 AM »

"Justin Welby named as next Archbishop of Canterbury..."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20264520

Proverbs 22:7
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 07:33:27 AM »

I will miss his Grace the current archbishop.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 07:42:23 AM »

I will miss his Grace the current archbishop.

Me too.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 03:29:36 PM »

I demand a recount.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 05:03:31 PM »

I thought Rowan was pretty liberal rather than a traditional Anglo-Catholic, I don't see why he'd be missed, unless the new guy decides to abandon Christianity even more...
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 05:15:57 PM »

I thought Rowan was pretty liberal rather than a traditional Anglo-Catholic, I don't see why he'd be missed, unless the new guy decides to abandon Christianity even more...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/nov/09/justin-welby-synod-ordain-women
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9666371/New-Archbishop-Justin-Welby-pledges-re-think-on-gay-relationships.html

It's looking that way...
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 06:41:59 PM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9666371/New-Archbishop-Justin-Welby-pledges-re-think-on-gay-relationships.html

It's looking that way...

I feel sorry for those in the CoE but... More coverts for us! And here's hoping it implodes...
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 10:45:03 PM »

African leaders warn Welby: Anglican Church is ‘fractured’

A group of Bishops and senior clerics from Nigeria and Kenya issued a call for the Archbishop of Canterbury effectively to be replaced as leader of the worldwide Anglican Communion by an elected chairman.

Meanwhile the Anglican church in Uganda offered Bishop Welby its support but warned the Church is “fractured” over questions such as homosexuality and the interpretation of the Bible.

The remarks come following a meeting of Anglican leaders from around the world in Auckland, New Zealand, which ended this week, attended by he current Archbishop of Canterbury Dr Rowan Williams.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 10:45:54 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
bkovacs

Faith: Byzantine Christian

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 04:32:20 AM »

Hopefully the Catholic/Orthodox/Oriental Orthodox Churches will permanently sever all ecumenical ties to the Church of England, if they go through with so-called wannabee "women bishops". The Pope or any of the Patriarchs of the East should never host a feminist Archbishop of Canterbury or Church of England wannabee women bishop. Or even allow them to speak at any ecumenical event hosted by Catholic/Orthodox/Oriental Orthodox Christian believers. This has nothing to do at all with equal rights. It's all about feminism and their repulsive ideology, plain and simple

"We knew not whether we were in heaven or on earth, for surely there is no such splendor or beauty anywhere on earth." The Divine Liturgy at Hagia Sophia.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 02:08:41 PM »

It's looking that way...

Actually Abp Williams also supported women bishops, and has always been liberal on gay issues.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 03:24:45 PM »

It really is a shame that the Anglican/Episcopal Churches in the West have lost their apostolicity. Their apostolic succession is become more and more tenuous, if not severed all together. As a result, I do wonder how in the world that they can continue to be "Holy" and "Apostolic."
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 03:37:34 PM by Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 03:32:13 PM »

I'm a fan of Rowan and it will be sad to see him go. He's said alot of positive things about the Orthodox Church so maybe he will be received into the Church one day. (As I am hopeful NT Wright will, also).

I thought Rowan found the women bishops to be deplorable and not keen on having gay clergy either. I'll have to look that up since James says something different than I remember.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 03:42:04 PM »

I'm a fan of Rowan and it will be sad to see him go. He's said alot of positive things about the Orthodox Church so maybe he will be received into the Church one day. (As I am hopeful NT Wright will, also).

I thought Rowan found the women bishops to be deplorable and not keen on having gay clergy either. I'll have to look that up since James says something different than I remember.

http://www.archbishopofcanterbury.org/articles.php/2715/a-potentially-liberating-moment-for-all-of-us-archbishop-urges-synod-to-vote-for-women-bishops  That's the first article I could find about Apb Williams' support for women bishops.

From several things I've read, I'm under the impression that Apb Williams was not at all shy about a fairly liberal attitude on gay marriage, before becoming Archbishop of Canterbury, but I'd have to do some digging to find something.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 04:27:15 PM »

It really is a shame that the Anglican/Episcopal Churches in the West have lost their apostolicity. Their apostolic succession is become more and more tenuous, if not severed all together. As a result, I do wonder how in the world that they can continue to be "Holy" and "Apostolic."

When these female "bishops" ordain bishops, their apostolic succession will be gone.  There is really no reason for either the Catholics or us Orthodox to continue to have "dialogue" with them...they will never give up their innovations.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 04:34:08 PM »

the melt down has been postponed...
http://news.sky.com/story/1014147/church-of-england-votes-against-women-bishops
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 11:41:12 AM »

Easy.  Empty the words of any meaning.

The Fathers expended a lot of energy in choosing words to distinguish Orthodoxy from heresy.  The Anglicans/Episcopalians compromise a lot to obscure the difference.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 11:42:29 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 02:19:32 PM »

In a surprise visit to the 2nd GAFCON in Nairobi, Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby preaches from All Saints Cathedral. He spoke of his fondness for the goals of GAFCON and his love for the Kenyan people as they recover from the Westgate Mall attack.

The second Global Anglican Future Conference (GAFCON) is held in Nairobi, Kenya, 21 October - 26 October 2013 at All Saints Cathedral. The focus will be on the shared Anglican future, discussing the missionary theme, "Making Disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ".

GAFCON arose because a "false gospel" was being promoted within the Anglican Communion, a gospel that denied the uniqueness of Jesus Christ and "promotes a variety of sexual preferences and immoral behaviour as a universal human right".
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 02:20:42 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: