OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 08:21:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Four Christians Face Possible 47 Years in Prison for Actions at "Gay" Event  (Read 1165 times) Average Rating: 0
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« on: December 19, 2004, 05:58:20 AM »

http://www.christianpost.com/article/society/1273/section/four.christians.face.possible.47.years.in.prison.for.actions.at.evangelizing.at.gay.event/1.htm

Saturday, Dec. 18, 2004 Posted: 2:53:07PM EST

On Tuesday, the Philadelphia federal appeals court denied an emergency appeal to halt prosecution of 11 Christians. While charges were dropped against 7 of the participants, four of the Christians are facing trial where they could receive up to 47 years in prison.

On October 10, eleven Christians with Repent America were arrested during the annual “Outfest”, a gay pride event held in Philadelphia. The Christians were singing, praying, and reading passages from the Bible.

Efforts to block their prosecution were denied last week by U.S. District Judge Petrese B. Tucker. At a preliminary hearing on December 14, an emergency appeal to block the prosecutions was also denied.

Municipal Court Judge William Austin Meehan ruled that four of the Christians will face felony and misdemeanor charges, for preaching what the prosecutor Charles Ehrlich calls “hate speech” from the Bible. Charges against the other seven individuals were dropped because they were not seen participating in reading scripture.

Video footage of the incident shows that the Christians cooperated with the police, while a group called the Pink Angels, a gay pride group, continually harassed them to stop their preaching.

Brian Fahling, senior trial attorney for the American Family Association Center for Law & Policy and attorney for the Christians, says that the last option will be an appeal to the Supreme Court to stop the prosecution.

Said Fahling of the recent rulings, “First, symbols of Christianity are removed from the public square, now, Christians are facing years in prison because they preached the gospel in the public square. Stalin would be proud.”

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 06:10:05 AM »

Although I disagree with the tactics of these evangelicals and would never do in a million years what they did, I can't beleive that free speach in America like this is worthy of a possible 47 years in prison. Sheesh, it's  not like we are in canada or france where they have laws against free speach. I'm just wondering if this were a group of muslims if they would have taken the same action as they did against the evangelicals .Do you think they would throw an islamic imam in jail if he were reading versus out of the koran?? I did not realize that Philadelphia was part of the People's Republic of China, for some reason I always believed that Philadelphians were still bound by the same laws, and still given the same liberties as all other Americans. Apparantly, this is not the case. This pisses me off to no end.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
gphadraig

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 11:48:38 AM »

Nothing like proportionatility is there! Or the intolerance of liberals. This comes as no surprise. An elderly preacher in England a little while ago fell foul of similar prosecution and was sent to goal as I recall. Indeed the Brit government under the leadership of that fine church-goer Tony Blair is pushing new legislation against 'religious hate'. This is causing concern not least among leading comedians and comic artists worried that 'free' expression and reasonable comment may fall foul of ill thought through law. A former very high ranking civil servant has made swingeing critizism of the Blair government. One was the stream of 'bad' bills the Blair government has pushed through using the massive majority New Labour has in Parliament.

Many of the same characters responsible within the Blair goverment are also responsible for the so-called 'inclusive' measures that see schools dropping Nativity Plays, or civic celebrations of Christmas. All supposedly to avoid minorities being offended? Such proxy sensitivities appear to be driving wedges between people rather than building bridges.

Age is honourable and youth noble
bripat22

Slava Tebie, Boze nas! Slava Tebie

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 12:02:28 PM »

This report seems to be completely from the perspective of the evangelical group.  There is more there then meets the eye.  To be charged with a felony , there has to be more grounds then just peaceful protest (even the loathsome Fred Phelps is allowed to do his horrible funeral protests with no restraint)  There is more to this story then this group is telling.

For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like!-

Maggie Smith "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie"
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 10:59:12 PM »

I would be very interested in seeing this story in a secular newspaper.  I agree that there is probably more to this story than is being told.  I've noticed that in stories that appear in Evangelical sources.  If you hear both sides of the story, you understand the reaction much better. 
gphadraig

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 05:41:40 AM »

I have other knowledge of this American case but the Brit one was very sad. An elderly self-appointed preacher doing what many had done before but finding himself in court and then to prison. And it involved nothing more than him addressing directly the teaching of the Bible on sodomy. It caused a lot of outrage in the press and among the public at the time, even among those who did not support the preacher's action. But his sentence was a couple of weeks, as I recall, and not a potential 47 years.

What do you get for a mugging over there then?HuhHuhHuhHuh An early morning fry?

Age is honourable and youth noble
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: