OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 03:03:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Pilgrim Church by E.H. Broadbent  (Read 4646 times) Average Rating: 0
MichaelArchangelos

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer

« on: November 08, 2012, 06:58:04 AM »

Has anyone here read The Pilgrim Church by E.H. Broadbent? It seems to be in the same realm as Trail of Blood - claiming that there were always "true believers" (i.e. Baptists or Brethren) down through the ages that were persecuted by the historic Church (usually identified as the Roman Catholic Church which started with Constantine).

The theory's rubbish, right?
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 01:36:55 PM »

Think about it. They almost have to say that, don't they, o/w they'd be forced to admit that they are renegade heretics who make it all up as they go along!  Wink

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 06:53:02 PM »

A claim without evidence can be rejected without evidence. They are making a claim that they always existed as a 'persecuted Church' but they never present ANY evidence whatsoever for that notion.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Ashman618
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 07:19:56 PM »

A claim without evidence can be rejected without evidence. They are making a claim that they always existed as a 'persecuted Church' but they never present ANY evidence whatsoever for that notion.

I was in a discussion with a friend today promoting Orthodoxy and in the process I called myself a heretic, I wish the UGCC would come back to communion with Orthodoxy
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 10:56:05 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Has anyone here read The Pilgrim Church by E.H. Broadbent? It seems to be in the same realm as Trail of Blood - claiming that there were always "true believers" (i.e. Baptists or Brethren) down through the ages that were persecuted by the historic Church (usually identified as the Roman Catholic Church which started with Constantine).

The theory's rubbish, right?

Yes, there have always been heretical sects formed by rogue priests and renegade teachers, since the very beginning, the Nicolations mentioned by Christ to Saint John in the Revelations.  Sometimes Protestants like to connect themselves with some of these heretical groups, other times they wouldn't dare.  The truth is there is no continuous heretical movement or chain of heresies which is a kind of pseudo-Apostolic succession for Protestants.  Perhaps the Cathars who were chased out of Europe to England and then to the Americas as the Pilgrims could be considered the oldest lineage of Protestant-heretical connections. The "Good Men" did in a way revive aspects of Donatism, but there is hardly any historical continuity..

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:56:30 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
MyMapleStory

Faith: Approaching Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Will probably be Greek

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 03:01:54 AM »

It actually gives me sort of hope, that they feel the need for apostolic succession, but on the other hand they are still desperate enough to believe in a totally indefensible position that protestantism existed before the reformation. At least their protestantism.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: