OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 08:23:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vatican Continues to bless ‘Uniatism and Sheep Stealing’ in India  (Read 1068 times) Average Rating: 0
theorthodoxchurch
georgy

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Syrian Church of the East (Indian Orthodox Church)

georgy

« on: November 06, 2012, 02:37:42 PM »

Vatican Continues to bless ‘Uniatism and Sheep Stealing’ in India
http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/2012/10/vatican-continues-to-bless-uniatism-and-sheep-stealing-in-india/
Cyrillic
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow

The Reactionary Rebel

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 02:41:58 PM »

A fox loses his hairs but not his tricks.

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo

"J'ai pour les institutions démocratiques un goût de tête, mais je suis aristocrate par instinct"
-A. de Tocqueville

'Don't bother arguing with Cyrillic, he is Dutch or something queer like that.'
-Byron
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 02:49:08 PM »

is this news?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 03:21:34 PM »

That article is anything but a news article; it is a rather confused diatribe.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 11:52:10 AM »

I consider this news.  Shows the movement in the RC church towards solidifying their fingers in the pot...so to say

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 12:26:57 PM »

I fail too see the reason for outrage. Indians are free to believe in Catholic doctrines if they want to.

serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 05:52:02 PM »

I fail too see the reason for outrage. Indians are free to believe in Catholic doctrines if they want to.

the outrage is the process.  it is the same outrage that orthodox christians have when protestants go to traditionally orthodox countries because orthodox christianity is a "heathen "religion in their opinion. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
choy
Archon

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »

Note that heirarchs of Eastern Catholic Churches can claim titles even before the Vatican bestows it on them.  His Beatitude Sviatoslav of the UGCC is referred to as a Patriarch within his Church (we commemorate him as such during Liturgy) even though his official title from the Vatican is Major Archbishop.  Other bishops of different Churches would refer to him as Patriarch as well.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 02:43:31 AM »

the outrage is the process.  it is the same outrage that orthodox christians have when protestants go to traditionally orthodox countries because orthodox christianity is a "heathen "religion in their opinion. 

I don't see anything wrong with that either. Protestants and Catholics are wrong but they are free to be in error if they want to.

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 04:42:53 AM »

I don't see anything wrong with that either. Protestants and Catholics are wrong but they are free to be in error if they want to.

So no concern over people being drawn away from the Church and into error?

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 04:52:20 AM »

So no concern over people being drawn away from the Church and into error?

More like concern over freedom of religion and double standards.

serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 11:04:53 AM »

^ my concern is with churches that call themselves christian, behaving like christians.  Guess we are starting from different points. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 11:05:55 AM »

"All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not."
- 1 Cor. 10:23

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
choy
Archon

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 02:15:33 PM »

^ my concern is with churches that call themselves christian, behaving like christians.  Guess we are starting from different points. 

If they are behaving like Christians, what is the problem then?
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 08:59:16 PM »

If they are behaving like Christians, what is the problem then?

Sorry I wasn't clear in my typing.  I mean that they call themselves Christians, ACTUALLY behaving like Christians.   Which in this case they are not

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
choy
Archon

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 09:24:48 PM »

Sorry I wasn't clear in my typing.  I mean that they call themselves Christians, ACTUALLY behaving like Christians.   Which in this case they are not

If they are ACTUALLY behaving like Christians, then they are Christians, right?  "Whoever is not against us is for us."
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 06:01:16 PM »

If they are ACTUALLY behaving like Christians, then they are Christians, right?  "Whoever is not against us is for us."

Well what you are asking is actually a much bigger question.  I tend to ride with the Spermatikos Logos theology of St. Justin Martyr, as a response to whether or not all people have the ability to be good & to be good Christians.  Then we get into the issue of ethics.  But in order to engage in ethics we must first agree that ethics are not personal but rather more universal.  If we take a look at the 10 commandments for example, we are told to not covet our neighbors things.  Here we have our neighbor, covering our things.  Orthodox Christians being brought to the Catholic church

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
choy
Archon

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 08:09:38 PM »

Well what you are asking is actually a much bigger question.  I tend to ride with the Spermatikos Logos theology of St. Justin Martyr, as a response to whether or not all people have the ability to be good & to be good Christians.  Then we get into the issue of ethics.  But in order to engage in ethics we must first agree that ethics are not personal but rather more universal.  If we take a look at the 10 commandments for example, we are told to not covet our neighbors things.  Here we have our neighbor, covering our things.  Orthodox Christians being brought to the Catholic church

And that is my question.  You say they actually act like Christians.  So it shouldn't be a problem if they are in the Catholic Church or they are in the Orthodox Church.  If they are good Christians, so what?
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 12:10:18 AM »

Orthodox Christians being brought to the Catholic church

That is the claim.  Where is the proof?  The article doesn't even talk about sheep stealing, only about the Archbishop using the title Catholicos.  Why this would entice anyone to join the Syro-Malankar Catholic Church I have no idea.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 09:03:12 AM »

That is the claim.  Where is the proof?  The article doesn't even talk about sheep stealing, only about the Archbishop using the title Catholicos.  Why this would entice anyone to join the Syro-Malankar Catholic Church I have no idea.

I was going to say the same and note that many of us Orthodox are rightfully upset when the UGCC appropriates the title of Patriarch for their leader (without the 'imprimatur' of Rome) - especially since there is no parallel Patriarch within Orthodoxy (at least within the canonical Church - and there probably should be one for that matter). I seriously doubt that Orthodox faithful in regions where there are two or even three Patriarchs are confused by the use of the title by a churchman other than their own.  There are many issues between Orthodoxy and the Roman Church over the unions, this is not really a big one in my mind.
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 12:50:13 PM »

Unfortunately I do not have proof.  Just first hand accounts from Malankara christians from that area. 

I should have also stated earlier that the root of my rant is not necessarily the article itself, but rather those accounts from friends i've had who have told me about the aggressive nature of the RC's in orthodox areas. 

Perhaps since I do not have proof, I should tone down my rhetoric...?

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 12:52:07 PM »

And that is my question.  You say they actually act like Christians.  So it shouldn't be a problem if they are in the Catholic Church or they are in the Orthodox Church.  If they are good Christians, so what?

So what?  the issue is one of saying to a group of christians:  "no, you're not really christians, we are really christians".  That is wrong.  Whether or not they end up as saints in the RC church or the OO or EO church, is not the point of my contention.  Rather, my point is that veering people away from their church, for another church, is wrong.  Especially if you are doing it on purpose. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2012, 01:30:49 PM »

I have to confess, to me the complaints about Uniatism sound an awful lot like an army going into a battle and then saying "Oh no! They're shooting at us!"

Of course they are. You don't have to like it, you don't have to think they're in the right, but as long as the Roman Catholic Church believes she is the One True Church, this is what she will do. Does not the Orthodox Church accept converts from the Roman Catholic Church? Does she not have a Western Rite?

Although some of the tactics historically used by Uniate hierarchs and those associated with them were despicable, the mere existence of the Unia seems to me no more something to be upset about than the fact that the enemy shoots back in the aforementioned battle.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 01:31:05 PM by OrthoNoob » Logged

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 02:49:48 PM »

I have to confess, to me the complaints about Uniatism sound an awful lot like an army going into a battle and then saying "Oh no! They're shooting at us!"

Of course they are. You don't have to like it, you don't have to think they're in the right, but as long as the Roman Catholic Church believes she is the One True Church, this is what she will do. Does not the Orthodox Church accept converts from the Roman Catholic Church? Does she not have a Western Rite?

Although some of the tactics historically used by Uniate hierarchs and those associated with them were despicable, the mere existence of the Unia seems to me no more something to be upset about than the fact that the enemy shoots back in the aforementioned battle.

OF course Rome ain't the monolith most of us assume her to be.  The official line from Rome as expressed to us in various consultations and pronouncements since Vatican 2 is that the Greek Catholics are not supposed to 'poach' Orthodox faithful in Orthodox lands. The message is not always accepted or followed in some parts of the world by the more zealous among their flock. The problem is, of course,defining what is 'poaching' and what is normal pastoral behavior. Seeking members from among the un-churched or slightly churched may be seen as poaching by one 'side' but not to another. That's the 'problem' with freedom of religion.

Also, there are plenty of Greek Catholics in Europe who are still alive in Slovakia and Ukraine who would view the tactics of some Orthodox hierarchs following the end of the second world war who were complicit with the Communist regimes in their efforts to 'liquidate' the Greek Catholic church as being 'despicable.' Bad behavior by one side does not call for equally bad behavior by the other.
IreneOlinyk

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox (EP)

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2012, 03:39:39 PM »

is this news?
No it is NOT news.  It is taken from a blog on the internet.  I trust the moderators will intervene.  We have to distinguish between news and a blogger's opinion.
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2012, 09:24:44 PM »

is this news?
No it is NOT news.  It is taken from a blog on the internet.  I trust the moderators will intervene.  We have to distinguish between news and a blogger's opinion.

The news IMO opinion is the ANNOUNCEMENT of the Catholicos

But I do see your point about how it is a blog post, not "technically" the news itself.  I will get back to you all about this soon

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
neon_knights
High Elder

Faith: Christian

My political hero.

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2012, 07:17:17 PM »

Isn't "uniatism" a no-no word on this site?
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2012, 07:22:11 PM »

Pretty much.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2012, 07:22:45 PM »

As far as I can tell, the post you are referring to is utilizing the word in the correct historical context.  i'm willing to hear an argument though if you have one...?

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: