OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 08:24:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conversion Miracles  (Read 511 times) Average Rating: 0
loser

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ?

« on: November 15, 2012, 11:22:02 AM »

I would like to hear about miracles that happened during conversion for converts from Catholic to Orthodox or Vice Versa.

If you don't have any miracles to share, then tell me what practical changes you noticed in your life after conversion. Did you notice greater success in your spiritual battles? Any change in health? Etc.

Please give as much detail as possible.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 11:27:45 AM »

What about converts from Protestantism?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 12:23:27 PM »

LOL.

Like you say if a Protestant looks into Church History they become an Orthodox catechumen.

If they are honest.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 01:59:35 PM »

LOL.

Like you say if a Protestant looks into Church History they become an Orthodox catechumen.

If they are honest.

What is Orthodox Catechumen? Why would Protestant Christians become Orthodox catechumen if they look into church history?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 01:59:51 PM by walter1234 » Logged
izrima

Faith: Raised Catholic, Inquiring Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rome/OCA

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 02:54:49 PM »

What is Orthodox Catechumen? Why would Protestant Christians become Orthodox catechumen if they look into church history?

A catechumen is someone who is actively in the process of preparing to become Orthodox. The catechumenate entails a more formal commitment than inquiry.

I think what he was getting at about church history was that Protestants often claim to have stripped away human additions to the faith and gotten back to the biblical essence of Christianity. The irony of that claim, of course, is that the Orthodox Church is the original, true biblical church. If you are interested, you should read Fr. Peter Gillquist's "Becoming Orthodox." It is his account of how he and a bunch of other former Campus Crusade for Christ evangelicals researched church history heavily, came to the conclusion that the Orthodox way was the true way, started their own Orthodox denomination, and then were ultimately received into the official Orthodox Church in the late 1980s. I think it was something like a few thousand former evangelicals who all converted together at the same time.
izrima

Faith: Raised Catholic, Inquiring Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rome/OCA

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 03:02:34 PM »

I would like to hear about miracles that happened during conversion for converts from Catholic to Orthodox or Vice Versa.

If you don't have any miracles to share, then tell me what practical changes you noticed in your life after conversion. Did you notice greater success in your spiritual battles? Any change in health? Etc.

Please give as much detail as possible.

Loser, I am in the process of converting from RC to EO right now. Even without completing my conversion yet, I've noticed a number of changes, though I wouldn't call them miraculous. Even though I went to Catholic schools and was quite a strong believer, I've never had as much interest in studying my faith as I do now. I've just been vacuuming up books on Orthodoxy as fast as I can find them, and, more importantly, I've started systematically studying the Bible for the first time in my life. Orthodox spirituality has helped me to get away from legalism and more into mysticism and the essence of things, though it is very much a work in progress. I also find myself able to really talk about my own faith for the first time.

On personal levels, now that I know more about logismoi and the passions, I've had better success at combatting some of my sins. I think I am generally a better person than I used to be. I am also really involved in a church community for the first time in the sense that I enjoy sticking around after liturgy and meeting people at the church lunch.

Now, the caveat here is that, outside of my experiences with Orthodox spirituality and its teachings on grace and passions, I have no way of telling you if my the joys of my experience are because I am converting to Orthodoxy in particular or just converting in general. You will often hear the phrase "convert's zeal" thrown around in many denominations. So, there is a good chance that anyone who is choosing to own their faith for the first time, anyone who is choosing to answer for their faith for the first time, would have somewhat similar experiences. Conversion entails an intentionality in your faith that you might have lacked earlier.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: