Author Topic: Jew you down...  (Read 873 times)

Offline Anastasia1

• My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Armenian
Jew you down...
« on: November 06, 2012, 03:35:00 AM »
How do you know if you should say something about this phrase? How do you mention it to the one who uses this speach?
Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)

Offline dzheremi

• No longer posting here.
  • Protokentarchos
Re: Jew you down...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 03:57:34 AM »
You could just ask them to please say something else instead. Is that not diplomatic enough?

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 10:41:10 AM »
Use your own pejorative.  Try "Jerry-rig" sometime if they're a Kraut.  Or suggest a nice game of "Paddy-whacking" if they're a Bogtrotter.   :)
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 12:17:02 PM »
Use your own pejorative.  Try "Jerry-rig" sometime if they're a Kraut.  Or suggest a nice game of "Paddy-whacking" if they're a Bogtrotter.   :)

Don't know about the paddy-thing, but I always thought "Jerry-rig" was a lazy way of saying gerrymandering which has nothing to do with Germans.
"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 12:46:55 PM »
Use your own pejorative.  Try "Jerry-rig" sometime if they're a Kraut.  Or suggest a nice game of "Paddy-whacking" if they're a Bogtrotter.   :)

Don't know about the paddy-thing, but I always thought "Jerry-rig" was a lazy way of saying gerrymandering which has nothing to do with Germans.

Paddywhack has nothing to do with the Irish and Jerry-rig nothing to do with the Germans.

As far as the OP, a simple, "You know, I really don't like that term," should suffice.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 12:47:44 PM by Schultz »
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 12:53:02 PM »
Use your own pejorative.  Try "Jerry-rig" sometime if they're a Kraut.  Or suggest a nice game of "Paddy-whacking" if they're a Bogtrotter.   :)

Paddywhack has nothing to do with the Irish and Jerry-rig nothing to do with the Germans.

As far as the OP, a simple, "You know, I really don't like that term," should suffice.

You know what, if ruin my shoddy attempts at racism one more time I'll douse a whole Jerry-can full of sauerkraut on you and toss you in the back of the Paddy-wagon with all the other drunken Micks and Blockheads!
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Schultz

• Taxiarches
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 12:57:04 PM »

You know what, if ruin my shoddy attempts at racism one more time I'll douse a whole Jerry-can full of sauerkraut on you and toss you in the back of the Paddy-wagon with all the other drunken Micks and Blockheads!

I belong there anyways :P
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Merarches
  • Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 01:23:24 PM »
What is this? The Political Correctness police?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 01:24:34 PM by Cyrillic »
"Who wants to be consistent? The dullard and the doctrinaire, the tedious people who carry out their principles to the bitter end of action, to the reductio ad absurdum of practice. Not I."
-Oscar Wilde, The Decay of Lying

Offline celticfan1888

• Production Operator - Chemtrusion
  • Archon
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 02:12:52 PM »
What is this? The Political Correctness police?

I'm offensive and I find this Jewish. ;)
Forgive my sins.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 02:14:47 PM »
How do you know if you should say something about this phrase? How do you mention it to the one who uses this speach?
I'd ask "What ever do you mean by that?"

"You mean you're going to circumcize me?  Already done."
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 02:17:13 PM by ialmisry »
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 02:19:05 PM »

They'd probably throw me in right after you.  So, what should we sing?  Finnegan's Wake or Ich Hat Eine Kameraden?

Offline Schultz

• Taxiarches
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 02:40:45 PM »

They'd probably throw me in right after you.  So, what should we sing?  Finnegan's Wake or Ich Hat Eine Kameraden?

The former.  Irish songs fall off my tongue better.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Barlaam and Josaphat
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 03:45:03 PM »
Ask him to Jew with his mouth closed.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 03:46:20 PM »
Ask him to Jew with his mouth closed.

Harder yet, with his hands still.
Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.