OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 03:26:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Baptism  (Read 952 times) Average Rating: 0
choy
Archon

« on: November 06, 2012, 02:55:05 AM »

Interesting new thing I learned today.  RC teaches that anyone, even the non-baptized, can baptize a person in cases of necessity (emergency).  Orthodox Church teaches that only baptized person may perform baptisms in cases of necessity.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 03:21:54 AM »

Interesting new thing I learned today.  RC teaches that anyone, even the non-baptized, can baptize a person in cases of necessity (emergency).  Orthodox Church teaches that only baptized person may perform baptisms in cases of necessity.

Interesting. Only thing I can add is that the Orthodox view seems weird with the one early saint that baptized her(?)self.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 05:12:25 AM »

Interesting. Only thing I can add is that the Orthodox view seems weird with the one early saint that baptized her(?)self.

I'm pretty sure that that story is a fabricated forgery that's considered heresy because it demonizes St. Paul as being some misogynist who wouldn't Baptise a woman.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
choy
Archon

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 01:37:41 PM »

I made this thread because I found out a few months back that there are some differences in Sacramental Theology between the Orthodox Church and the Catholic Church.  I was not expecting this to be one of them, although the Orthodox explanation for this belief makes perfect sense to me.  I can understand also the Catholic teaching, that it is an ekonomia for someone desiring baptism but due to circumstances cannot get to a church or even have someone who is Christian around him/her.  Though I wonder if any non-Christian would actually perform a Christian ritual.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 09:20:03 AM »

From a Romanian catechism article I've learned that in exceptional cases, a Deacon can perform a baptism, and in absolutely exceptional cases even a layperson can, given that the formula for being baptized in the Name of The Holy Trinity (The servant of God, etc.) is used.
However, if a Priest becomes available, then the rest of the prayers, Christmation and Holy Communion must be administered.  Even sand, soil, etc. can be used when water is missing. From one source, if you don't use water, then you have to repeat the Baptism with water also if it becomes a possibility, but until then it is valid.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 05:33:07 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I am not quite sure the historicity of these theological distinctions really has much substance aside from speculation.  The Orthodox and Catholic approach would most likely be to wait for a priest.  We have the concept of Salvation aside from Baptism in our theology, so personally as an Orthodox if I were ever in this position to have to make a decision to baptize another person, or to support a deacon baptizing a person, I would prefer we just all prayed for this person instead, and let God sort out the rest.  Otherwise we might spend too much time arguing over the legitimacy, when we legitimate or not the focus of Baptism is prayer, albeit in this instance Liturgical and Sacramental.

I think the Catholics evolved this position of laity baptisms in the same way that evolved the Last Rites, this idea that the Sacraments MUST be administered, and some popular views evolved that without Confession or Communion near death folks might go to Hell, even if Catholic!  Perhaps this emergency Baptism concept is similarly bordering on the superstitious?

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
choy
Archon

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 06:06:43 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I am not quite sure the historicity of these theological distinctions really has much substance aside from speculation.  The Orthodox and Catholic approach would most likely be to wait for a priest.  We have the concept of Salvation aside from Baptism in our theology, so personally as an Orthodox if I were ever in this position to have to make a decision to baptize another person, or to support a deacon baptizing a person, I would prefer we just all prayed for this person instead, and let God sort out the rest.  Otherwise we might spend too much time arguing over the legitimacy, when we legitimate or not the focus of Baptism is prayer, albeit in this instance Liturgical and Sacramental.

I think the Catholics evolved this position of laity baptisms in the same way that evolved the Last Rites, this idea that the Sacraments MUST be administered, and some popular views evolved that without Confession or Communion near death folks might go to Hell, even if Catholic!  Perhaps this emergency Baptism concept is similarly bordering on the superstitious?

stay blessed,
habte selassie

You make a good point.  Now makes me think if Latin legalism really reached new heights because of the Reformation.  Espeically today that many Protestant groups deny the salvific effect of Baptism.
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 12:14:00 AM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Are you saying that Baptism is not necessary for salvation.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 11:38:24 AM »

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

1256 The ordinary ministers of Baptism are the bishop and priest and, in the Latin Church, also the deacon.57 In case of necessity, anyone, even a non-baptized person, with the required intention, can baptize58 , by using the Trinitarian baptismal formula. The intention required is to will to do what the Church does when she baptizes. The Church finds the reason for this possibility in the universal saving will of God and the necessity of Baptism for salvation.59
http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c1a1.htm#1256
  Emphases mine.

So, with regards to a non-baptized person, several things are required: 1) that it be a "case of necessity"; 2) that they have "the required intention" (which is briefly explained); 3)  that the Trinitarian formula be used.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
soderquj

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 11:55:12 AM »

I am not quite sure the historicity of these theological distinctions really has much substance aside from speculation.  The Orthodox and Catholic approach would most likely be to wait for a priest.  We have the concept of Salvation aside from Baptism in our theology, so personally as an Orthodox if I were ever in this position to have to make a decision to baptize another person, or to support a deacon baptizing a person, I would prefer we just all prayed for this person instead, and let God sort out the rest.  Otherwise we might spend too much time arguing over the legitimacy, when we legitimate or not the focus of Baptism is prayer, albeit in this instance Liturgical and Sacramental.

I think the Catholics evolved this position of laity baptisms in the same way that evolved the Last Rites, this idea that the Sacraments MUST be administered, and some popular views evolved that without Confession or Communion near death folks might go to Hell, even if Catholic!  Perhaps this emergency Baptism concept is similarly bordering on the superstitious?

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Can God save someone without baptism, I would have to say that is up to God.  However Jesus established the requirement, who am I to say it is not required.

"Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."

So to be on the safe side, if requested, I would Baptize someone in an emergency.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 11:57:11 AM by soderquj » Logged

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 03:55:41 PM »

Saint Dismas

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 03:55:52 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 04:41:23 PM »

Saint Dismas

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Baptism is dying and resurrecting with Christ. What did St. Dismas *literally* do? Wink
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 04:41:37 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
MarkosC

Faith: Patriarchate of Antioch
Jurisdiction: Greek/Melkite Catholic

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 12:00:44 PM »

The reason why "anyone" can baptize in the Catholic Church is essentially ecclesiological.   

Ref:

http://www.instituteofcatholicculture.org/outside-the-church-there-is-no-salvation-understanding-catholic-ecclesiology/

I hate to give two hours of lecture by a Greek Catholic Deacon as a reference (and unfortunately the whole of both lectures are necessary for understanding), but really this is a function of "what is the church" and "what is salvation".

O Lord although I desired to blot out
with my tears the handwriting of my many sins
And for the rest of my life to please Thee
through sincere repentance
Yet doth the enemy lead me astray as he wareth
against my sould with his cunning

O Lord before I utterly perish do Thou save me!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: