OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 09:04:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mormon wanting to be Greek Orthodox  (Read 797 times) Average Rating: 0
SGB

Faith: Greek Orthodox Inquirer

« on: November 05, 2012, 04:43:21 PM »

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this site!
So, I am currently a member of the mormon church, but over the years I have strayed away because I just don't like it and have problems with a lot of the teachings. I have never really had a connection to the church because I was never really accepted by any of the members. I have really been thinking about converting to the Greek Orthodox church. My papou was Greek Orthodox, so it has always been a part of my life in a way. And his father helped build the local Greek church in Ogden Utah. I have spent hours and hours reading about the teachings of the church and I feel it fits more with who I am and what I want to be. I want to have religion in my life again, and this church "just feels right". Whenever I have walked into an Orthodox church for some reason it just feels like home, and where i should be. (I hope you don't think i'm crazy, but an amazing feeling happens to me when i'm there!) What i would really like to learn from everyone is how did you begin to tell family and friends that you wanted to join another church? And what should I start doing to become orthodox? I emailed the local priest but still haven't heard back. And also, any mormons out there want to share how you left? Any fellow Utahns out there who are or have become Orthodox? I know this is what I want to do. I volunteered at the local Greek Festival and I have never felt so loved and accepted by anyone in my life by people I had only met for a few minutes. Can't wait to start the process! Thanks in advance for any responses!
choy
Archon

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 04:48:13 PM »

Start by visiting an Orthodox parish, introduce yourself to the priest, and get a conversation going.  You may have to visit a number of parishes if there is a number around you.  The truth is, not all priests are as good as the next.  Perhaps the priest who can give you the best guidance is in another parish.

You can also start your research.  Read up on Orthodoxy.  Met. Kallistos Ware's books The Orthodox Church and the Orthodox Way are good places to start.  You can also go to Ancient Faith's website (ancientfaith.com) and listen to the podcasts there, another good resource.  They have plenty of topics for people wanting to learn about Orthodoxy (even for those who are already Orthodox).
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 05:11:01 PM »

Welcome to the forum, SGB.

I can't help you with any conversion advice, as I am a cradle Orthodox - thankfully!

I hope you find this forum helpful.

Feel free to ask any questions...

Once again, welcome and I hope you find your way home to the Church!!!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 05:12:15 PM »

Welcome, SGB! 

soderquj

Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 05:37:34 PM »

Welcome and you are talking about my Parish (Transfiguration Greek Orthodox Church, Ogden Ut).  Cheesy  
You will be happy to know that I am a convert from Mormonism.

I just left, no fan fare, no Hey I am leaving just did. My story is posted here.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,45051.0.html

Any question just ask or PM (private message) me. If you have emailed Fr Mario be patient.
If not visit and come to coffee hour and talk to the priest.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 05:44:24 PM by soderquj » Logged

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 05:40:25 PM »

Soderquj, perhaps you and SGB can meet for coffee hour after Liturgy, and you can introduce him to Fr. Mario.  Wink

....what a small world...and how great that SGB posted, and you read...and you can help him out!

Funny how that works.  Smiley

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
soderquj

Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 05:45:13 PM »

Soderquj, perhaps you and SGB can meet for coffee hour after Liturgy, and you can introduce him to Fr. Mario.  Wink

....what a small world...and how great that SGB posted, and you read...and you can help him out!

Funny how that works.  Smiley

So true.  laugh

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 06:11:45 PM »

try to find the book 'the orthodox church' by metropolitan kallistos ware.
he is british but he understands different cultures such as america
 Wink

it is an old book, but a great introduction to the orthodox church.
there is a follow up book 'the orthodox way'.

come on the converts forum here (the only one you can read without reading people being rude to each other!
the others are less moderated) and read people's stories.

part of my story is here:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,46639.0.html

may God guide you in your spiritual journey.
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 05:41:20 AM »

Welcome to the forum

I highly sympathize with your situation. I too was in a similar predicament when I converted to Orthodoxy against the wishes of my Protestant family. Moving on, I think that a good thing to remind you is that converting just because it 'feels good' is not necessarily a good reason. Our passions and feelings can misguide us, especially when it comes to doing what 'feels right'. Feelings have to take a backseat to reason and logic. And this is why I would urge you to read up and try to learn about the Orthodox Church first before converting, because your feelings could completely change just as soon as they came to you. They are not a firm foundation to place your faith on.

That being said, I won't lie to you, converting to a different religion from your family and associates is VERY difficult. It took quite a while for my parents to accept and tolerate the fact that I was leaving Protestantism behind, and led to many clashes in our household and uncomfortable situations. Likewise, I even became estranged to many of my friends. I think that perhaps the worst of it all is the fact that I have no one to go to for religious advice or counseling other than my Priest and the fellows at my Church, since no one in my family and no one among my friends are Orthodox. It's tough, you have odd situations like when religion is brought up in the family room or on the kitchen table and you are asked a question, and your answer offends those in the room, or when they ask you to pray with them and they feel weirded out when you pray Orthodox style. But you know what? Despite all of this, I feel no regret for my conversion. It all still works out and Orthodoxy is perhaps the one diamond in my life that gives me a sense of purpose.

I won't lie to you, your situation probably IS going to be very difficult; in fact, it may be even more difficult than it was for me, since Mormons are generally known to be pretty dogmatic and clan-like with their family and religion. But in the end, I would still urge you to do what you think is right in the end and hold fast to the truth that is within Orthodoxy if you happen to convert--which I hope that you do.

Wherever goes JamesR goes, he is there.
-Orthonorm
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: