OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 02:06:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Schlock Icons  (Read 74826 times) Average Rating: 0
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #900 on: August 25, 2013, 11:43:27 PM »

I assume, after inspecting the elements of these icons, that these are of St. Isidore? If so, thank you so much.

The one on your left hand side is - the one on the right is of St. Photius the Great.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 11:45:04 PM by Romaios » Logged
LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #901 on: August 25, 2013, 11:50:57 PM »

I assume, after inspecting the elements of these icons, that these are of St. Isidore? If so, thank you so much.
]
The one on the left is of St Isidore, and I would not recommend it. The face is too cartoonish, and what is that on his head? Bishops who came from noble families are shown bare-headed, or, in post-15th century saints, wearing bishops' mitres. They should not wear crowns of nobility.

The one on the right is St Photios the Great. I have other examples on file which are of better quality (i.e. not a scan of a damaged print).
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #902 on: August 26, 2013, 12:14:20 AM »

There's also this illumination of Sts Braulio and Isidore from the Isidori libri originum, second half of the 10th century:

Or St. Isidore alone:

« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 12:17:16 AM by Romaios » Logged
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #903 on: August 26, 2013, 12:21:21 AM »

There's also this illumination of Sts Braulio and Isidor from the Isidori libri originum, second half of the 10th century:

Or St. Isidor alone:

Icons should express something of why the saint is so regarded. Was the writing of his Etymologiae the reason he is regarded as a saint, or his fidelity to the faith and its correct proclamation through his life as a bishop? This distinction is important.
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #904 on: August 26, 2013, 12:29:01 AM »

Icons should express something of why the saint is so regarded. Was the writing of his Etymologiae the reason he is regarded as a saint, or his fidelity to the faith and its correct proclamation through his life as a bishop? This distinction is important.

Well, together with St. Braulio and St. Leandrus, his brother, he is considered one of the pillars of the old Spanish Church. He defeated Arianism and enlightened the barbarian Visigoths. IIRC he also presided over some of the Councils of Toledo. 

I assume he's depicted as a writer in that particular illumination (not necessarily an icon), because he was the author of the book it comes from.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 12:32:31 AM by Romaios » Logged
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #905 on: August 26, 2013, 12:38:03 AM »

Well, together with St. Braulio and St. Leandrus, his brother, he is one of the pillars of the old Spanish Church. He defeated Arianism and enlightened the barbarian Visigoths.

I assume he's depicted as a writer in that particular illumination (not necessarily an icon), because he was the author of the book it comes from.

Illuminations are not necessarily icons in the Orthodox sense, though many an icon has been painted as an illumination. These examples of St Isidore well illustrate that difference.

dcommini asked for an icon of St Isidore. The illuminations provided are not icons. As for St Leander, here is a good example of an icon of him, which is neither cartoonish, nor deficient:

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #906 on: August 26, 2013, 12:51:47 AM »

Is the quote on the scroll really from St Leander's writings/preaching? 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #907 on: August 26, 2013, 01:08:10 AM »

Whether he actually wrote that statement, I cannot say, but it is appropriate for someone who fought against the heresy of Arianism.

BTW, what is written on a saint's scroll need not be something he actually said or wrote. More often than not, it is a passage from scripture which says something about the saint's life, character, or conduct.
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #908 on: August 26, 2013, 01:10:08 AM »

Not literally, but it alludes to his homily In laudem Ecclesiae ob conversionem gentis (In praise of he Church for the conversion of the people), found among the acts of the 3rd Council of Toledo (see paragraph 3 on heresies being like thorns).

« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 01:41:09 AM by Romaios » Logged
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #909 on: August 26, 2013, 01:32:18 AM »

Not literally, but it alludes to his homily In laudem Ecclesiae, found among the acts of the 3rd Council of Toledo (see paragraph 3 on heresies being like thorns).

Good to know.  Smiley
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #910 on: August 26, 2013, 11:22:18 AM »

An event like this in the life of an Orthodox saint can be shown iconographically in a "life" icon, where the saint is shown in the central panel, surrounded by smaller scenes of events in his life.

Really?

I'm missing your point. Could you elaborate?

You saying that life events can be painted on side panels and the main icon is supposed to be a saint standing straight. These show otherwise.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #911 on: August 26, 2013, 07:51:47 PM »

An event like this in the life of an Orthodox saint can be shown iconographically in a "life" icon, where the saint is shown in the central panel, surrounded by smaller scenes of events in his life.

Really?

I'm missing your point. Could you elaborate?

You saying that life events can be painted on side panels and the main icon is supposed to be a saint standing straight. These show otherwise.

You missed my point. Let me restate it:

The "icon" of Isidore the Farmer shows a scene where an angel is plowing his field, and Isidore is gesturing to it, as if the angel and his work is the means to salvation. What should have been done is for this scene to be shown in the proper manner of a "life" icon, as an illustration of a miraculous event in his life.

And yes, I am well aware of the "narrative" style of iconography, where different scenes are not set out in separate little panels surrounded by a central panel, but merged into a single composite image.
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #912 on: August 31, 2013, 09:43:32 PM »

I know this doesn't count as an icon, technically, but I saw it posted in an icon thread for Mary, and I thought I'd share. Really unsettling. I think it's the eyes that do it for me :/

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #913 on: August 31, 2013, 10:30:41 PM »

I know this doesn't count as an icon, technically, but I saw it posted in an icon thread for Mary, and I thought I'd share. Really unsettling. I think it's the eyes that do it for me :/

I find it is far from unsettling. It is the eyes that do it for me. I leave it for others to psychoanalyze me if I do not conform to their ideals.
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #914 on: August 31, 2013, 11:03:15 PM »

You're right, it's creepy. Like she's about to cast a spell or something.

OTOH, there's this painting which is mercifully free of creepiness and sentimentality. It's also the only "Madonna and Child" painting I've come across which doesn't show Christ as a generic, helpless baby, but as a knowing, divine Child. The expression and bearing of the Virgin also alludes to her anticipation of the sorrow she will endure at her Son's future Passion.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #915 on: August 31, 2013, 11:25:32 PM »

The food poisoning was God's penance imposed on you for using maple syrup on dosas.  I've eaten a lot of weird things in my life, but I can't imagine a greater affront both to dosas and to maple syrup.  Tongue

What is your preferred dosa? 

Ketchup on pirohy is a greater affront to Natural Law in my opinion.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #916 on: September 01, 2013, 01:46:38 PM »

She looks like she's contemplating revenge.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #917 on: September 01, 2013, 01:53:41 PM »

I would not call that an icon, even the Russian 19th century-style icons of the Theotokos are better than this, and I prefer Russo-Byzantine style.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #918 on: September 01, 2013, 01:54:01 PM »

Could be a planned "spiritual successor" to the Assassin's Creed franchise...

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #919 on: September 01, 2013, 04:00:11 PM »

Ketchup on pirohy is a greater affront to Natural Law in my opinion.

While I can't imagine eating pirohy with ketchup (yuck!), I continue to maintain that a maple syrup drizzled masala dosa is much worse. 

Thanks, btw, now I want to eat pirohy.  It's my inner Slav. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #920 on: September 01, 2013, 04:08:55 PM »

OTOH, there's this painting which is mercifully free of creepiness and sentimentality. It's also the only "Madonna and Child" painting I've come across which doesn't show Christ as a generic, helpless baby, but as a knowing, divine Child. The expression and bearing of the Virgin also alludes to her anticipation of the sorrow she will endure at her Son's future Passion.

For some reason, it gives me the creeps. It strikes me as even creepier than the Rosa Mystica one.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 04:16:38 PM by Romaios » Logged
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #921 on: September 01, 2013, 04:44:02 PM »

For some reason, it gives me the creeps. It strikes me as even creepier than the Rosa Mystica one.

On the other hand, I love it. It's my favourite Madonna ever, precisely because of the Child's knowing expression.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #922 on: September 01, 2013, 04:54:23 PM »

On the other hand, I love it. It's my favourite Madonna ever, precisely because of the Child's knowing expression.

He looks like he's illustrating an asana, under the gaze of the instructress...   Undecided
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #923 on: September 01, 2013, 07:46:14 PM »

The graphic I have posted doesn't do justice to the painting. I've been lucky enough to see the original, and it is a powerful and sublime work.
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #924 on: September 04, 2013, 04:50:34 PM »

Yeah, not a real icon, but  Grin
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #925 on: September 04, 2013, 06:37:33 PM »

Yeah, not a real icon, but  Grin

This sort of pastiche has become all too common since the invention of image software ....
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #926 on: September 05, 2013, 12:02:37 AM »

why does the border around the saint go through the halo

Are the borders more powerful than the holy spirit?

I would not venerate that icon

Grin

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #927 on: September 05, 2013, 12:13:40 AM »

A saint's halo often extends into the border, as a symbol of the deification of the saint, who has transcended the world in his or her perfected state. God is not bound by His creation.
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #928 on: September 05, 2013, 12:40:04 AM »

A saint's halo often extends into the border, as a symbol of the deification of the saint, who has transcended the world in his or her perfected state. God is not bound by His creation.

I learn something new every day Smiley er, well, every day I go here ;p

thank you

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #929 on: September 13, 2013, 02:21:51 PM »

I found this icon. Is it okay? It's of St. Anna, the mother of the Theotokos, holding Mary as a babe:

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #930 on: September 13, 2013, 03:07:44 PM »

Looks okay to me.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #931 on: September 13, 2013, 03:45:46 PM »

Our Lady of Korea

Holy Trinity, with Christ petting the Holy Spirit
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 03:49:34 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #932 on: September 13, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »

The last one is some very terrible schlock. At least look at the podlinniki, if you want to properly imitate an icon. Unlike the Son, God the Father cannot be depicted because NO ONE has seen him. He may appear in 19th century Russian icons, but not in traditional Byzantine, or Russo-Byzantine iconography. If this is done in a quasi-traditional style, then it appears that whoever did it is badly informed. The Icon of Our Lady of Korea does not really look like an icon, aside from the style, because neither participant acts as in the usual icons.
W.A.Mozart
Elder

Faith: Orthodox christian
Jurisdiction: Eschaton

Lazare, veni foras!

« Reply #933 on: September 13, 2013, 05:11:29 PM »

Is this shlock? I dont think there is a rule which forbids painting the founders of the church if they are still alive

completely new, especially not yet used
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #934 on: September 13, 2013, 05:18:34 PM »

Is this shlock? I dont think there is a rule which forbids painting the founders of the church if they are still alive

Never mind if there are any rules, just look at the thing. It's horrendous. How could this even be a question?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #935 on: September 13, 2013, 06:08:14 PM »

Those children look like they resent being in the image. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #936 on: September 13, 2013, 06:10:40 PM »

Unlike the Son, God the Father cannot be depicted because NO ONE has seen him.

John 14

8 Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and we shall be satisfied.” 9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you do not know me, Philip? He who has seen me has seen the Father; how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority; but the Father who dwells in me does his works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father in me; or else believe me for the sake of the works themselves.

Just sayin'...  Wink

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #937 on: September 13, 2013, 07:32:53 PM »

The last one is some very terrible schlock. At least look at the podlinniki, if you want to properly imitate an icon. Unlike the Son, God the Father cannot be depicted because NO ONE has seen him. He may appear in 19th century Russian icons, but not in traditional Byzantine, or Russo-Byzantine iconography. If this is done in a quasi-traditional style, then it appears that whoever did it is badly informed. The Icon of Our Lady of Korea does not really look like an icon, aside from the style, because neither participant acts as in the usual icons.

Righteous Abraham, St. Alexander of Svir, Fr. Zachariah of St. Sergius Lavra were all visited by the Holy Trinity.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #938 on: September 14, 2013, 05:04:47 AM »

Those children look like they resent being in the image. 

The way any sane child should.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #939 on: September 14, 2013, 07:45:06 AM »

Welcome back!

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #940 on: September 14, 2013, 07:53:02 AM »

Welcome back!

Keep your welcomes. I am not making a habit of this. I got sucked in by a PM!

Someone needs to make an oc.net digest. Too much garbage here to filter through if you pop in once a week or so.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #941 on: September 14, 2013, 03:38:07 PM »

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
W.A.Mozart
Elder

Faith: Orthodox christian
Jurisdiction: Eschaton

Lazare, veni foras!

« Reply #942 on: September 14, 2013, 05:16:57 PM »

btw forgot to mention that these 2 women are his ex-wife and of course - his present wife (so I read on the site where I found the fresco)

the man himself
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 05:18:23 PM by W.A.Mozart » Logged

completely new, especially not yet used
Philipa

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #943 on: September 14, 2013, 05:53:54 PM »

He gives me the creeps!
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #944 on: September 14, 2013, 07:13:34 PM »

There's a world of difference between ingratiating yourself by having yourself and your family painted into an icon (all of whom are alive), and showing two saints (Justinian the Great and Constantine the Great) supplicating before Christ.

If you can't tell the difference between deference and self-promotion ....
Tags: schlock Blasphemy icons mechagodzilla 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: