OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 26, 2014, 09:40:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Schlock Icons  (Read 90704 times) Average Rating: 0
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #450 on: February 18, 2013, 03:18:41 AM »

*sigh* I'm guessing these people get carried away in their enthusiasm and don't read do research on writing icons beforehand. I still say, Gospodi pomiluy nas, nyne i prisno i vo veki vekov!

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #451 on: February 18, 2013, 03:25:09 AM »

*sigh* I'm guessing these people get carried away in their enthusiasm and don't read do research on writing icons beforehand. I still say, Gospodi pomiluy nas, nyne i prisno i vo veki vekov!

I wish this could explain all these wayward images, but it doesn't. Earlier in the thread I criticized work by an Orthodox priest, who has made a name for himself as an "authority" on iconography, with books published, lecture tours and iconographic workshops. There is no justification for his position as a priest to confer authority on what he paints.

Likewise, there are plenty of Orthodox iconographers who have knowingly and willfully painted images which cannot be called icons. I am only a small voice speaking out against such vanities, but I hope that I can make a bit of difference in showing people what is good and proper and what is not.
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #452 on: February 18, 2013, 03:49:38 AM »

For example, until now I wasn't aware that two of the icons brought up here, Theotokos holding the World and St. Joseph holding the Christ child were uncanonical, seeing as they're on my icon corner- though technically, being Catholic, I suppose neither is my byzantised Divine Mercy either.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #453 on: February 18, 2013, 03:59:15 AM »

For example, until now I wasn't aware that two of the icons brought up here, Theotokos holding the World and St. Joseph holding the Christ child were uncanonical, seeing as they're on my icon corner- though technically, being Catholic, I suppose neither is my byzantised Divine Mercy either.

You're quite right, the image of Christ Divine Mercy is not a proper Orthodox icon.
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #454 on: February 18, 2013, 04:15:42 AM »

Well, I could figure that- considering it's not an Orthodox icon in the first place. Then again, I'm not Orthodox, so I suppose I'd have to check the canons of my own church to see if it's alright to venerate that icons. Goodness knows my icon of my patron, St. Anthony of Padua, is not Orthodox.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 04:16:18 AM by brastaseptim » Logged

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #455 on: February 18, 2013, 04:38:14 AM »

This is the strangest riza I've sever seen... Are those ripped-abs torsoes flying in the sky?

No, they're not. They are votive tokens, put on the icon either to ask for healing through prayer to the Mother of God, or in gratitude for prayers answered. These pressed-metal tokens come in a variety of forms, including hands, eyes, legs, and whole bodies. This custom seems to be far more prevalent among Greeks and Orthodox from the Balkans, less so with Russians. The Greek word for these offerings is tamata, singular tama (vow).

Not only among Greeks. Fairly popular here.
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #456 on: February 19, 2013, 10:15:32 AM »

I think nobody has posted it yet

Christ Opening the Gates of Dachau

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #457 on: February 19, 2013, 10:43:20 AM »

Where's the 42nd Infantry Division?

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

« Reply #458 on: February 19, 2013, 10:47:21 AM »

The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #459 on: February 19, 2013, 10:50:24 AM »

What on earth is THAT??  Shocked
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #460 on: February 19, 2013, 11:01:20 AM »

There's written "Sura Maryam" - like the title of one Coran's suras, but it's a total mix (symbols of Christianity, Judaism and Islam on the crown), but - iIslam is a mix of various religions, isn't it?
However, as we know, generally it's prohibited do depict somebody in Islam, so that's very strange picture
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 11:09:19 AM by Dominika » Logged

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #461 on: February 19, 2013, 11:07:29 AM »

There's written "Sura Maryam" - like the title of one Coran's suras, but it's a total mix (symbols of Christianity, Judaism and Islam on the crown), but - isn't Islam a mix of various religions?
However, as we know, generally it's prohibetd do depict somebody in Islam, so that's very strange picture

Quite right about the prohibition of depicting holy ones. And if it is meant to be an Islamic picture, the woman's dress and expression falls rather short of their standards of modesty.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 11:08:14 AM by LBK » Logged
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #462 on: February 19, 2013, 03:53:08 PM »

This one's fun:

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #463 on: February 19, 2013, 07:04:04 PM »

Oh, that is just so irredeemably BAAAAAD!!  Shocked Shocked Tongue laugh
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #464 on: February 21, 2013, 01:36:23 AM »

How about this? I keep seeing it referred to as "Child Bearing" or "Delivery Helping."

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #465 on: February 21, 2013, 01:48:13 AM »

This is known as The Word Made Flesh, and praying to it is said to help in childbirth. It's of western origin, which has come into Orthodoxy through those regions straddling Roman Catholic west and Orthodox east.

A far better icon in expressing the Incarnation is the Mother of God of the Sign (Platytera, Znamennaya). No need for uncovered hair, and other features and omissions of the posted image which diminish its canonicity.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #466 on: February 21, 2013, 03:04:48 AM »

There's written "Sura Maryam" - like the title of one Coran's suras, but it's a total mix (symbols of Christianity, Judaism and Islam on the crown), but - iIslam is a mix of various religions, isn't it?
However, as we know, generally it's prohibited do depict somebody in Islam, so that's very strange picture

Even stranger since Judaism either regards Mary as mythical or a harlot, or  a mythical harlot, but everything except someone they give a fig about.
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #467 on: February 23, 2013, 06:10:34 PM »

Here is one of St. (in the Catholic Church, anyhow) Kolbe with the Theotokos and Christ. For the longest time I thought that was God the Father with glasses on.

Hopefully this won't make anyone's head explode.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 06:11:48 PM by Eastern Mind » Logged

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #468 on: February 23, 2013, 06:22:09 PM »

Oh Gospodi, our iconographers seem to get stranger and stranger. At least they had the Theotokos depicted with the stars of virignity...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 06:22:26 PM by brastaseptim » Logged

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #469 on: February 23, 2013, 06:30:10 PM »

iIslam

Just when you thought the whole iThing went too far . . .

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #470 on: February 23, 2013, 06:58:12 PM »

Here is one of St. (in the Catholic Church, anyhow) Kolbe with the Theotokos and Christ. For the longest time I thought that was God the Father with glasses on.

Hopefully this won't make anyone's head explode.

Lovely, another addition to my schlock file.  Roll Eyes Tongue Wink

St Maximilian is the father AND mother of the Mother of God! St Maximilian of the Sign! What a travesty. It's not doing him or his memory any favors.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #471 on: February 23, 2013, 06:58:12 PM »

Oh Gospodi, our iconographers seem to get stranger and stranger. At least they had the Theotokos depicted with the stars of virignity...

This is, unfortunately, what happens when artists, usually, but not exclusively, non-Orthodox, painting religious subjects in an "iconographic" style have no idea of what an icon is or is not. The non-realistic, abstracted painting style is only a part of what makes an image an icon, and worthy of veneration.
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #472 on: February 23, 2013, 07:16:01 PM »

I'm here to please laugh

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #473 on: February 24, 2013, 03:08:24 AM »

I'm here to please laugh

... for which I am truly grateful, as are the iconographers I know who seek my advice on what not to paint.  laugh

Seriously, one in particular has even included a segment called "Is this an icon/not an icon" in his talks to parishes, thanks to me. *blush*
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #474 on: February 24, 2013, 06:53:47 AM »

Edit: sometimes the page displays it and sometimes not, don't know on what it depends, so I'm attaching them

Two pictures from a website of Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church

"st. Mary Magdalen"  Roll Eyes Probably under the influence of Catholic teachings about her...

"Protection of the Theotokos"
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 07:09:08 AM by Dominika » Logged

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #475 on: February 24, 2013, 09:24:25 AM »

The St Mary Magdalene that Dominika posted is by the notorious Jesuit priest, Fr William Hart McNichols. A trademark of his paintings is his love of "innovation", all too often with a sociopolitical message promoting his causes du jour. His artistic style is also quite creepy, at least to me.

The Holy Protection painting fills me with dismay - blatant Ukrainian nationalism hijacking the Mother of God and one of her feasts to promote its cause. Ghastly.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Nepsis or Sepsis™

« Reply #476 on: February 24, 2013, 08:02:51 PM »

Vile beyond further words.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA - Direct Archdiocesan District

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #477 on: February 24, 2013, 08:15:11 PM »

It's in an Orthodox Chapel at Dachau. Many Orthodox were sent to Dachau, and the imagery is due to the fact that the camp was liberated on Pascha.

May 6 (23 April on the Orthodox calendar) was the day of Pascha, Orthodox Easter. In a cell block used by Catholic priests to say daily Mass, several Greek, Serbian and Russian priests and one Serbian deacon, wearing makeshift vestments made from towels of the SS guard, gathered with several hundred Greek, Serbian and Russian prisoners to celebrate the Paschal Vigil. A prisoner named Rahr described the scene:

In the entire history of the Orthodox Church there has probably never been an Easter service like the one at Dachau in 1945. Greek and Serbian priests together with a Serbian deacon adorned the make-shift 'vestments' over their blue and gray-striped prisoners' uniforms. Then they began to chant, changing from Greek to Slavonic, and then back again to Greek. The Easter Canon, the Easter Sticheras—everything was recited from memory. The Gospel—In the beginning was the Word—also from memory. And finally, the Homily of Saint John—also from memory. A young Greek monk from the Holy Mountain stood up in front of us and recited it with such infectious enthusiasm that we shall never forget him as long as we live. Saint John Chrysostomos himself seemed to speak through him to us and to the rest of the world as well!

There is a Russian Orthodox chapel at the camp today, and it is well known for its icon of Christ leading the prisoners out of the camp gates.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dachau_concentration_camp#Post-liberation_Easter

I think we need to be careful with some things that we condemn so harshly on this thread. Our Church celebrates the Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee for a reason.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 08:20:00 PM by Antonis » Logged

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #478 on: February 24, 2013, 08:36:52 PM »

"st. Mary Magdalen"  Roll Eyes Probably under the influence of Catholic teachings about her...
Why the eyeroll?

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Nepsis or Sepsis™

« Reply #479 on: February 24, 2013, 08:37:20 PM »

My point is, if you paint a "God's hand was in this" icon, you'd better be willing to go all the way.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 08:37:44 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #480 on: February 24, 2013, 10:28:25 PM »

It's in an Orthodox Chapel at Dachau. Many Orthodox were sent to Dachau, and the imagery is due to the fact that the camp was liberated on Pascha.

May 6 (23 April on the Orthodox calendar) was the day of Pascha, Orthodox Easter. In a cell block used by Catholic priests to say daily Mass, several Greek, Serbian and Russian priests and one Serbian deacon, wearing makeshift vestments made from towels of the SS guard, gathered with several hundred Greek, Serbian and Russian prisoners to celebrate the Paschal Vigil. A prisoner named Rahr described the scene:

In the entire history of the Orthodox Church there has probably never been an Easter service like the one at Dachau in 1945. Greek and Serbian priests together with a Serbian deacon adorned the make-shift 'vestments' over their blue and gray-striped prisoners' uniforms. Then they began to chant, changing from Greek to Slavonic, and then back again to Greek. The Easter Canon, the Easter Sticheras—everything was recited from memory. The Gospel—In the beginning was the Word—also from memory. And finally, the Homily of Saint John—also from memory. A young Greek monk from the Holy Mountain stood up in front of us and recited it with such infectious enthusiasm that we shall never forget him as long as we live. Saint John Chrysostomos himself seemed to speak through him to us and to the rest of the world as well!

There is a Russian Orthodox chapel at the camp today, and it is well known for its icon of Christ leading the prisoners out of the camp gates.

I think we need to be careful with some things that we condemn so harshly on this thread. Our Church celebrates the Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee for a reason.

It is not Pharisaical to state what is the tradition of the Church and what harm is done by gross deviation therefrom. Shall we have no rules at all? Shall there be no order in the Church? Are there not limits? Is there not a tradition?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #481 on: February 25, 2013, 12:52:08 AM »

It is not Pharisaical to state what is the tradition of the Church and what harm is done by gross deviation therefrom. Shall we have no rules at all? Shall there be no order in the Church? Are there not limits? Is there not a tradition?

Totally agree. Icons are not vehicles for promoting "causes", even "good" ones, and must certainly not be expressions of wishful thinking or historical revisionism.

What should have been commissioned for the Dachau chapel was a proper icon of the sainted martyrs and confessors who were incarcerated there, and those Orthodox with them, against the background of the camp buildings and other structures. Such an icon could have indeed featured Christ, either in a motif in the upper border of the icon, or in an upper corner, blessing the saints and inmates.

There are established iconographic conventions which determine how historical events are to be portrayed. It is a crying shame that these have not been followed in the creation of this painting.  Tongue Sad Sad
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #482 on: February 25, 2013, 11:01:12 AM »

Why the eyeroll?

Well, such type of "icons" are a bit irritaiting and I just wanted to show my disapproval regarding it and its origins Wink Or maybe in other words: that's the gesture I would do, if I saw such picture.

Totally agree. Icons are not vehicles for promoting "causes", even "good" ones, and must certainly not be expressions of wishful thinking or historical revisionism.

What should have been commissioned for the Dachau chapel was a proper icon of the sainted martyrs and confessors who were incarcerated there, and those Orthodox with them, against the background of the camp buildings and other structures. Such an icon could have indeed featured Christ, either in a motif in the upper border of the icon, or in an upper corner, blessing the saints and inmates.

That's the point and a good idea

Agabus
Archon

« Reply #483 on: February 25, 2013, 01:02:37 PM »

Why the eyeroll?

Well, such type of "icons" are a bit irritaiting and I just wanted to show my disapproval regarding it and its origins Wink Or maybe in other words: that's the gesture I would do, if I saw such picture.

Ah, ok. I thought you were rolling your eyes at St. Mary Magdalene, which would have been baffling.

Forgive my thickheadedness.

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #484 on: February 25, 2013, 01:41:41 PM »

Why the eyeroll?

Ah, ok. I thought you were rolling your eyes at St. Mary Magdalene, which would have been baffling.

Forgive my thickheadedness.

No problem Smiley That's why I wrote it the quotation marks Wink

Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA - Direct Archdiocesan District

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #485 on: February 25, 2013, 04:38:08 PM »

I didn't say that, did I?

There is a difference between preserving propriety when it comes to icons and Pharisaical condemnation and searching every icon for slight error to call out and condemn. I am sure that most of the people in Russia that painted icons that include God the Father are far more holy than I am. Are icons of God the Father wrong and to be discouraged? Yes. Can God work miracles and inspire through imperfect things? Yes.

A lot of the icons in this thread disgust me. That being said, a lot of the utter condemnations of even slight iconographic error AND their iconographers is just as saddening.

That has absolutely nothing to do with "having no rules."

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #486 on: February 25, 2013, 04:58:40 PM »

I think he was being sarcastic. I personally like that icon very much.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #487 on: February 25, 2013, 07:11:45 PM »

There is a difference between preserving propriety when it comes to icons and Pharisaical condemnation and searching every icon for slight error to call out and condemn. I am sure that most of the people in Russia that painted icons that include God the Father are far more holy than I am. Are icons of God the Father wrong and to be discouraged? Yes. Can God work miracles and inspire through imperfect things? Yes.

Would you regard creative tweaking of prayers and hymns to serve a cause as acceptable? If so, why?
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

« Reply #488 on: February 26, 2013, 03:10:22 PM »

Another contestant in the 'Mr. Angel 2013' Contest...

sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #489 on: February 26, 2013, 03:14:59 PM »

Would you regard creative tweaking of prayers and hymns to serve a cause as acceptable? If so, why?

So the Church has never altered the Liturgy to combat the views of Heretics?
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #490 on: February 26, 2013, 04:30:04 PM »

From a story about folk iconography. Maybe not schlock, but strange.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 04:30:46 PM by Agabus » Logged

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #491 on: February 26, 2013, 04:41:47 PM »

I think he was being sarcastic. I personally like that icon very much.

I'll speak for Nick, he wasn't being sarcastic. It is disgusting.

What's next an icon with Christ whispering Let's Roll! in the ear of a man on United Airlines Flight 93?

No thanks.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 04:42:59 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #492 on: February 26, 2013, 06:33:36 PM »

So the Church has never altered the Liturgy to combat the views of Heretics?

There is a huge difference between the liturgical proclamations against heresy (such as the establishment of the feast of, and the writing of hymnography for, the Sunday of Orthodoxy), and, say, the use of "Creator, Liberator and Sustainer" as a baptismal Trinitarian formula. The former is necessary and established by the whole Church; the latter is the product of individualism motivated by worldly reasons.

The painting of "icons" which are, in essence, the personal musings and expressions of the artist or of the patrons who commissioned them are just as unacceptable and wrong as the false trinitarian formula I quoted.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #493 on: February 26, 2013, 07:12:55 PM »

What's next an icon with Christ whispering Let's Roll! in the ear of a man on United Airlines Flight 93?

No thanks.

Good boy, you're learning!

I now have visions of Buddy Jesus "icons" in my head ....  Tongue laugh
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

« Reply #494 on: February 26, 2013, 07:29:32 PM »

I have two of these at home.  It is an old Romanian pattern.

From a story about folk iconography. Maybe not schlock, but strange.

Tags: schlock Blasphemy icons mechagodzilla 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: