OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 12:06:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Schlock Icons  (Read 62440 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #225 on: December 10, 2012, 07:26:59 PM »

and St Joseph the Betrothed holding the Christ-child

Wait, is this bad? St. Joseph is my patron, so a friend of mine sent me an icon of St. Joseph holding the Christ-child that he bought at St. Anthony's monastery in Arizona. St. Anthony's is definitely Orthodox, as is my friend, so it never crossed my mind that there could be something wrong with it. It looks almost exactly like this one, for clarification:

Some people want to retroactively minimize St. Joseph, because they don't want to be confused with the Roman Catholics, whose veneration of him (as 'St. Joseph the Worker') is quite a bit more prominent. You must jump in front of a bus rather than be confused with a Roman Catholic.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #226 on: December 10, 2012, 10:37:47 PM »

and St Joseph the Betrothed holding the Christ-child

Wait, is this bad? St. Joseph is my patron, so a friend of mine sent me an icon of St. Joseph holding the Christ-child that he bought at St. Anthony's monastery in Arizona. St. Anthony's is definitely Orthodox, as is my friend, so it never crossed my mind that there could be something wrong with it. It looks almost exactly like this one, for clarification:

Some people want to retroactively minimize St. Joseph, because they don't want to be confused with the Roman Catholics, whose veneration of him (as 'St. Joseph the Worker') is quite a bit more prominent. You must jump in front of a bus rather than be confused with a Roman Catholic.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #227 on: December 10, 2012, 10:56:19 PM »

And isn't that icon wrong theologically? The one of St. Joseph holding Christ.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #228 on: December 10, 2012, 11:00:51 PM »

So it is no surprise to see St Leo the Great wearing the papal triple tiara, even though it would not have existed in St Leo's time.

Really?

Umm, Michal, what has the icon of St James, Brother of the Lord, have to do with the thread?  Huh
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #229 on: December 10, 2012, 11:01:21 PM »

Yes, it is, I'm sorry to say.
Dan the Man

Faith: Yes please
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #230 on: December 10, 2012, 11:34:56 PM »

Well that answers my question then. Now what do I do?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 11:35:11 PM by Dan the Man » Logged

Do not gloat over me, my enemy!
    Though I have fallen, I will rise.
Though I sit in darkness,
    the Lord will be my light.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #231 on: December 10, 2012, 11:40:20 PM »

Well that answers my question then. Now what do I do?

You could donate it to an RC friend or church, I suppose. It would fit in with their theology and doctrine.
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #232 on: December 10, 2012, 11:55:26 PM »

So it is no surprise to see St Leo the Great wearing the papal triple tiara, even though it would not have existed in St Leo's time.

Really?

Umm, Michal, what has the icon of St James, Brother of the Lord, have to do with the thread?  Huh

I think he's referring to the omophor, which could be seen as an anachronism.

Edit: according to the Catholic Encyclopedia at least.
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Catholic_Encyclopedia_(1913)/Pallium
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 11:58:23 PM by sheenj » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #233 on: December 11, 2012, 02:01:03 AM »

Umm, Michal, what has the icon of St James, Brother of the Lord, have to do with the thread?  Huh

Both this and St. Leo's icon contain anachronistic vestments.

Is there something wrong with St. Leo's icon besides vestments?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 02:01:38 AM by Alpo » Logged
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #234 on: December 11, 2012, 02:13:18 AM »

Umm, Michal, what has the icon of St James, Brother of the Lord, have to do with the thread?  Huh

The triple crown, which dates in its earliest form from the time the Roman papacy was beginning to grow in temporal power, speaks not of Orthodoxy, but of post-schism Rome, or, at least, a Rome soon to schism from Orthodoxy. St James in Byzantine vestments has no such overtones, as the Church was undivided during his time.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #235 on: December 11, 2012, 03:05:54 AM »

Suddenly periodic wiping of the historical record of art or writings that are just bad doesn't seem wrong. Based on the way we do things are now, if someone in 500 years finds just one of these things they're going to think everyone of our time period was into this weird crap.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #236 on: December 11, 2012, 04:43:25 AM »

The triple crown, which dates in its earliest form from the time the Roman papacy was beginning to grow in temporal power, speaks not of Orthodoxy, but of post-schism Rome, or, at least, a Rome soon to schism from Orthodoxy. St James in Byzantine vestments has no such overtones, as the Church was undivided during his time.

"St. James painted with an omophorion - good because we did it. St. Leo painted with a tiara - bad because evil Papists did it."

I've expected better than that from you.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 05:07:24 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #237 on: December 11, 2012, 05:37:45 AM »

"St. James painted with an omophorion - good because we did it. St. Leo painted with a tiara - bad because evil Papists did it."

I base my posts on iconography on the testimony of the Church through her iconographic record and traditions. The consistent tradition for the iconographic portrayal of early bishop-saints is to show them bare-headed (as the mitre had not come into use prior to the fall of Constantinople), vested in phelonion and omophorion, and holding a Gospel book. The sakkos replaced the phelonion in about the twelfth century.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #238 on: December 11, 2012, 12:40:39 PM »

I base my posts on iconography on the testimony of the Church through her iconographic record and traditions. The consistent tradition of the Byzantien churches for the iconographic portrayal of early bishop-saints is to show them bare-headed (as the mitre had not come into use prior to the fall of Constantinople), vested in phelonion and omophorion, and holding a Gospel book. The sakkos replaced the phelonion in about the twelfth century.

Fixed. I'm not entirely comfortable with the Leo's vestments on that icon/painting either but there's more to Orthodoxy than just Greek Orthodoxy.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #239 on: December 11, 2012, 02:05:44 PM »

Trains and cars? Well I raise you one St. Nicholas steering a boat!

Is this schlock?

You bet it's schlock! It's one thing to recognize St Nicholas of Myra as patron and protector of mariners and fishermen, but this is just disrespectful, cartoonish rubbish.

It's by the Orthodox priest who painted the trippy St Andrew and the modernist "Resurrection" I commented on earlier. I call this piece "St Nick the Sailor Man". I'd love to know what patristic or liturgical precedent he used to justify paint the crosses on the saint's omophorion in the shape of propellers .... The next step would be the troparion and kontakion to St Nicholas sung in sea-shanty style during Liturgy.  Angry

And what's with the seagulls looking for lunch?? Any ideas, folks?

« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 02:06:02 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #240 on: December 11, 2012, 03:33:30 PM »

^Please tell me that is photoshopped.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #241 on: December 11, 2012, 03:43:35 PM »

^Please tell me that is photoshopped.

I've posted in Picture of a day thread a better caption of that frescoe. I don't want to seek for it know. It's also on OrthPhoto.net.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #242 on: December 11, 2012, 03:45:10 PM »

I like the St. Nicholas painting.

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #243 on: December 11, 2012, 03:47:50 PM »

painting

Oh, you!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 03:48:18 PM by sheenj » Logged
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #244 on: December 11, 2012, 06:15:09 PM »

Why does LBK even try?  Undecided

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #245 on: December 11, 2012, 06:18:40 PM »

Because LBK knows that there are plenty of other folks out there who are genuinely interested and want to learn more about the priceless treasure that is iconography.   Smiley
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #246 on: December 11, 2012, 06:24:27 PM »

Because LBK knows that there are plenty of other folks out there who are genuinely interested and want to learn more about the priceless treasure that is iconography.   Smiley

I'm still confused about the implications of the Tiara though. If the Tiara was used by Orthodox Popes, then what is the problem with displaying Pope Leo with one?
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #247 on: December 11, 2012, 06:32:54 PM »

Suddenly periodic wiping of the historical record of art or writings that are just bad doesn't seem wrong. Based on the way we do things are now, if someone in 500 years finds just one of these things they're going to think everyone of our time period was into this weird crap.

Gah. Jesus isn't the horned god of wicca <_< This is just ghastly.

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #248 on: December 12, 2012, 12:24:05 AM »

I'm still confused about the implications of the Tiara though. If the Tiara was used by Orthodox Popes, then what is the problem with displaying Pope Leo with one?

To my knowledge, the triple tiara was not used until after the schism. That there are images of pre-schism popes with the triple tiara dates them as post-schism images and says nothing of the pre-schism popes whatever.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Annie Och

« Reply #249 on: December 12, 2012, 12:27:10 AM »

Is the triple tiara more decorative/fashion, or does it actually symbolize theology?

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #250 on: December 12, 2012, 12:43:51 AM »

Is the triple tiara more decorative/fashion, or does it actually symbolize theology?

It is symbolic of the new papacy's (post-schism/post Gregory VII, specifically) overlordship of the secular and spiritual worlds, of heaven (Peter has the keys), purgatory, and earth (being able to excuse nobles from their oaths of allegiance to sovereigns).

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Annie Och

« Reply #251 on: December 12, 2012, 02:23:18 AM »

It is symbolic of the new papacy's (post-schism/post Gregory VII, specifically) overlordship of the secular and spiritual worlds, of heaven (Peter has the keys), purgatory, and earth (being able to excuse nobles from their oaths of allegiance to sovereigns).
Then I can definitely see why it would be objectionable in an icon. Thank you.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #252 on: December 12, 2012, 04:22:28 AM »

I thought it stood for universal jurisdiction, patriarchate of the west and bishop of Rome. Three layers of authority.

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
Eastern Mind
High Elder

« Reply #253 on: December 20, 2012, 05:54:22 PM »

Is that John Coltrane?

Why are their Thrones underneath his feet?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 05:54:51 PM by Eastern Mind » Logged

LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #254 on: December 20, 2012, 06:00:39 PM »

Is that John Coltrane?

Yes, that is supposed to be "Saint" John Coltrane. Yes, the red winged things are supposed to be cherubim, as seen in icons of Christ in Majesty. The red winged things are also in the shape of vinyl records, according to the artist who painted this schlock.
Eastern Mind
High Elder

« Reply #255 on: December 20, 2012, 06:04:48 PM »

Is that John Coltrane?

Yes, that is supposed to be "Saint" John Coltrane. Yes, the red winged things are supposed to be cherubim, as seen in icons of Christ in Majesty. The red winged things are also in the shape of vinyl records, according to the artist who painted this schlock.

Ah, I didn't catch the record thing.

What a stupid icon.

LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #256 on: December 20, 2012, 06:08:56 PM »

Is that John Coltrane?

What a stupid icon waste of time and paint.

Fixed it for ya.  Wink

.... and the artist has also spelled the "saint's" name wrong. There should be two Ns in it.   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 06:09:22 PM by LBK » Logged
Eastern Mind
High Elder

« Reply #257 on: December 20, 2012, 06:13:20 PM »

Fixed it for ya

LOL. Nice  laugh

LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #258 on: December 20, 2012, 06:15:11 PM »

Fixed it for ya

LOL. Nice  laugh

We aim to please.  Wink laugh
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #259 on: December 20, 2012, 06:34:27 PM »

Is that John Coltrane?

What a stupid icon waste of time and paint.

Fixed it for ya.  Wink

.... and the artist has also spelled the "saint's" name wrong. There should be two Ns in it.   Roll Eyes

Years ago, I went to the Athenian Candle Company in Chicago, which sold Monastery Icons and evil spirit spray (either evil spirit in a can or evil spirit repellant--I couldn't tell), and asked a woman who worked there if the Greek name for John was "Ioannos" or "Ioannis" since I didn't know any Greek at the time, and she said, "Whatever you want it to be."

OrthoMEX

Faith: Orthodox christian
Jurisdiction: GOARCH Metropolis of Detroit

Save the Whales

« Reply #260 on: December 20, 2012, 06:46:26 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r76ruZ0IqMo The inside of st gregory of nyssa episcopal church Schlock galore
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #261 on: December 20, 2012, 07:00:43 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r76ruZ0IqMo The inside of st gregory of nyssa episcopal church Schlock galore

IIRC I posted some of these images a while back.  Smiley
Eastern Mind
High Elder

« Reply #262 on: December 20, 2012, 07:03:27 PM »

evil spirit spray

That sounds like something TBN would try to sell. Sadly, I'm sure people would buy it.

Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #263 on: December 20, 2012, 07:18:26 PM »

It looks like one giant, historical can-can.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #264 on: December 20, 2012, 07:52:09 PM »

I thought the same thing.  Cheesy

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #265 on: December 20, 2012, 08:55:07 PM »

Shlock like that is just fuel for the Islamists. Who could really argue if they said it should be destroyed? What would they say? "Its a great piece of art"?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #266 on: December 20, 2012, 11:55:52 PM »

Shlock like that is just fuel for the Islamists. Who could really argue if they said it should be destroyed? What would they say? "Its a great piece of art"?

Do Islamists need fuel? Only if they're tied to stakes! Smiley (It was a sick joke, but funny.)

LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #267 on: December 21, 2012, 12:28:16 AM »

IIRC I posted some of these images a while back.  Smiley

Yup, just as I thought. Here's the post:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,47878.msg834397.html#msg834397
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 12:28:34 AM by LBK » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #268 on: December 21, 2012, 12:39:16 AM »

Cathedral of Christ the Saviour in Moscow.

Oh, yes, especially the Gerber Baby Jesus sitting in the old man's lap in the cupola. What a crying shame that the original artwork was reproduced when the cathedral was rebuilt! What a missed opportunity to fill it with the finest iconography and make it the treasure it deserved to be!  Angry Cry Cry Cry

There's even an "icon" of St Juliana Olshanskaya with her right hand raised in blessing, with the fingers arranged in the way priests bless. Unbelievable.

I've heard abbesses bless with their fingers arranged that way. Everyone, including the priests if I'm not mistaken, used to bless themselves and otherse in the same manner when they still used the two-finger sign of the Cross. Maybe abbesses don't bless in icons, though.

LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #269 on: December 21, 2012, 01:09:29 AM »

Cathedral of Christ the Saviour in Moscow.

Oh, yes, especially the Gerber Baby Jesus sitting in the old man's lap in the cupola. What a crying shame that the original artwork was reproduced when the cathedral was rebuilt! What a missed opportunity to fill it with the finest iconography and make it the treasure it deserved to be!  Angry Cry Cry Cry

There's even an "icon" of St Juliana Olshanskaya with her right hand raised in blessing, with the fingers arranged in the way priests bless. Unbelievable.

I've heard abbesses bless with their fingers arranged that way
. Everyone, including the priests if I'm not mistaken, used to bless themselves and otherse in the same manner when they still used the two-finger sign of the Cross. Maybe abbesses don't bless in icons, though.

Abbesses with the authority to bless do so with their fingers arranged as one would to cross oneself. The IC-XC arrangement is restricted to male clergy of the rank of priest and above.

St Juliana Olshanskaya was not an abbess. She was a girl of noble birth, and died at the age of sixteen.
Tags: schlock Blasphemy blasphemous icons icons 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: