OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 07:14:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Schlock Icons  (Read 75540 times) Average Rating: 0
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #675 on: May 27, 2013, 12:37:58 AM »

You're welcome. You're the only person I know who is an expert on icons, so...

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #676 on: May 27, 2013, 12:47:44 AM »

I almost spat my Coke all over my screen seeing that Star Wars one. I think I woke my neighbors up from laughing.

I wonder if Robert Lentz ever sent a Valentine's Day card to LBK that looked like an icon, and maybe included a free sample of his icon on Harvey Milk.

If he knew about the sustained and systematic criticism I've leveled at his work, online, and in print ....
LOL. You ever personally sent the guy a message to knock it off with the icons?

A few years ago, the RC Archbishop of Santa Fe ordered the distributors of Lentz's work to cease further production of products featuring his most blasphemous images (the homoerotic ones, the "Christ" as a woman, the "Celtic Trinity", the naked pagan horned god "Christ", etc). The distributor lumped these into a category called "Images that Challenge", with mention of Abp Michael Sheehan's directive.

At the time, they were supposed to simply sell off any existing stock, and cease production of any more. Something must have got lost in translation, because these items continue to be freely available through this outlet.

If an archbishop's directive was blithely ignored, you think the lone voice of an LBK would make any difference to Mr Lentz? Such people are so full of their own awesomeness, they'll carry on in their own delusions, thumbing their noses at any attempt to correct them. A bolt from the blue might be the only way.  Shocked Roll Eyes
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #677 on: May 27, 2013, 12:48:32 AM »

You're welcome. You're the only person I know who is an expert on icons, so...

Happy to help, it's the least I can do. You're welcome to PM me whenever you wish.  Smiley
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #678 on: May 28, 2013, 11:54:20 AM »

First post on OCnet in a while, and thought I'd start off by sharing some icons by Fr. William Hart McNichols (RC).

(images redacted for brevity)

"El Espiritu Santo de Taos." I'm assuming this last one is supposed to be a personified Holy Spirit?

http://www.standreirublevicons.com/biography.php

"In September 1990, he moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico to study the technique, history and spirituality of icon painting (technically "icon writing") with Russian-American master, Robert Lentz. He also assists with sacramental ministry in the Archdiocese of Santa Fe, New Mexico."

That explains why his work is crap and the definition of "schlock", he learned from Robert Lentz, the worst "iconographer" (he doesn't even deserve that in quotes) in this entire country.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 11:54:36 AM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #679 on: May 28, 2013, 11:57:07 AM »

Strange. Francis in Greek is Φραγσισκος, not Φρασισκος.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #680 on: May 28, 2013, 11:59:47 AM »

First post on OCnet in a while, and thought I'd start off by sharing some icons by Fr. William Hart McNichols (RC).

(images redacted for brevity)

"El Espiritu Santo de Taos." I'm assuming this last one is supposed to be a personified Holy Spirit?

http://www.standreirublevicons.com/biography.php

"In September 1990, he moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico to study the technique, history and spirituality of icon painting (technically "icon writing") with Russian-American master, Robert Lentz. He also assists with sacramental ministry in the Archdiocese of Santa Fe, New Mexico."

That explains why his work is crap and the definition of "schlock", he learned from Robert Lentz, the worst "iconographer" (he doesn't even deserve that in quotes) in this entire country.

Oh, there are others who are just as bad, though their motivations might be a little more benign. Like the woman who painted this, which I posted early in the life of this thread. Here is is again, for those who came in late:

This is just priceless for its sheer ghastliness:

The spiel that accompanies this image:

painted as a gift for my daughter, author of the "Lost Voices" trilogy of young adult novels about contemporary teenage mermaids.

According to Irish Legend, Li Ban, a king's daughter, was one of the few survivors of a great flood that occurred before the arrival of Saint Patrick.
For a year, Li Ban lived with her lap dog in the sun room of her seaside castle.  When they ran out of food, Li Ban became a mermaid and the dog
became an otter.  Together they fished the coastal waters for 300 years. Then they were found by some monks and came ashore; and Li Ban was
baptized as a Christian.  Rather than live as a mermaid for another 300 years, Li Ban chose to die and go to heaven.

Li Ban is shown with arms raised in "orans" or prayer position, praising God for her life, her freedom, and her beautifully wild and verdant environment.

Laugh or cry as you wish. Cute otter, though. I like otters.  Smiley

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #681 on: May 28, 2013, 12:03:29 PM »

I'm kind of hoping, with the potential unification of our jurisdictions, maybe even with the Assembly, we could get an official "stamp of approval" sort of thing for iconographers.

It could be a copyright seal that iconographers may put on their websites or products (on the backs, like some Greek iconographers do in Greece) in order to show the iconographer is officially approved by the Assembly of Bishops, and recognized as canonical iconographers.
Making the seal copyright would allow the Assembly to take legal action should any unsanctioned iconographer/painter try to use the seal to deceive people.

This could go along with a section of their website linking to an alphabetical list of approved iconographers and their locations.

The same seal could be used on official church documents and church signs so people will know which churches are canonical and which aren't.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:04:21 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #682 on: May 28, 2013, 12:03:43 PM »

You almost got it right.  Smiley

It's actually Φραγκισκος. But what you thought was a C is simply a gamma with a rather prominent serif at the base of the letter. Lentz's spelling is correct, but he's put the accent mark on the wrong syllable. It should be on the second syllable, not the first.  Cheesy
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #683 on: May 28, 2013, 12:04:34 PM »

It's actually Φραγκισκος. But what you thought was a C is simply a gamma with a rather prominent serif at the base of the letter. Lentz's spelling is correct, but he's put the accent mark on the wrong syllable. It should be on the second syllable, not the first.  Cheesy

Embarrassed

I say typo.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #684 on: May 28, 2013, 12:09:24 PM »

I'm kind of hoping, with the potential unification of our jurisdictions, maybe even with the Assembly, we could get an official "stamp of approval" sort of thing for iconographers.

It could be a copyright seal that iconographers may put on their websites or products (on the backs, like some Greek iconographers do in Greece) in order to show the iconographer is officially approved by the Assembly of Bishops, and recognized as canonical iconographers.
Making the seal copyright would allow the Assembly to take legal action should any unsanctioned iconographer/painter try to use the seal to deceive people.

This could go along with a section of their website linking to an alphabetical list of approved iconographers and their locations.

The seals I've on the back of Greek icons simply certifies that the icon is cleared for export. Nothing to do with an episcopal imprimatur.

At any rate, what would an imprimatur do to stop the likes of Fr Stamatios Skliris, an Orthodox priest, and with a growing following through his book sales, lecture tours and painting workshops, who has knowingly and deliberately painted plenty of schlock in his time?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:13:36 PM by LBK » Logged
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #685 on: May 28, 2013, 12:11:59 PM »

Embarrassed

I say typo.

Don't be hard on yourself. Greek is a tough language. Slavonic is even more fun to decipher, especially when the letters are intricately merged and interlocked.  Shocked laugh
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #686 on: May 28, 2013, 12:12:51 PM »

The seals I've on the back of Greek icons simply certifies that the icon is cleared for export. Nothing to do with an episcopal imprimatur .

At any rate, what would an imprimatur do to stop the likes of Fr Stamatios Skliris, an Orthodox priest and with a growing following through his book sales, lecture tours and painting workshops, who has knowingly painted plenty of schlock in his time?

He's in Greece, is he not? I'm talking about American iconographers using a seal by the Assembly. The iconographers would have to apply to receive the seal, and this would involve submitting a portfolio of their work, proof of their background etc...

Also, I'm looking at his website, some of his work looks brilliant in mural form on church walls, at a distance. But just terrible up close (which a lot of Byzantine work is like this, as I saw in Greece).
His murals/frescoes are just impressive. The small icons, not so much.

This is absolutely stunning, reminds me a lot of Romanian Churches:
http://stamatis-skliris.gr/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/a8039-x900.jpg

This is also amazing:
http://stamatis-skliris.gr/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/gen-ilioy.jpg

and this:
http://stamatis-skliris.gr/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/1a_5953-x900.jpg

Yet some of his other work isn't so impressive.

We have to be careful about judging the use of "bright colors" in icons. Most of the ancient icons we see today have faded significantly, and it hasn't just been a few hundred years, but for some over half a millenia if not more.
While not an icon, look at the Mona Lisa, painted 500 years ago, which modern research shows, probably looks nothing like it originally did, but the colors were probably closer to La Gioconda. Or the example of Gothic Churches, many of which were painted in brilliant colors, which have worn away to the dull, dark grey of stone. Or, of course, Greek temples, which had brilliant colors and have all worn away to stone. Many icons may be the same way, years of usage, exposure to incense and smoke, light and moisture have possibly worn away brilliant colors they may have had.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:24:19 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #687 on: May 28, 2013, 12:18:48 PM »

The seals I've on the back of Greek icons simply certifies that the icon is cleared for export. Nothing to do with an episcopal imprimatur .

At any rate, what would an imprimatur do to stop the likes of Fr Stamatios Skliris, an Orthodox priest and with a growing following through his book sales, lecture tours and painting workshops, who has knowingly painted plenty of schlock in his time?

He's in Greece, is he not? I'm talking about American iconographers using a seal by the Assembly. The iconographers would have to apply to receive the seal, and this would involve submitting a portfolio of their work, proof of their background etc...

Good idea in theory, but it would be only as good as the iconographic knowledge of the hierarchs who oversee it. The aforementioned Fr Stamatios has painted some of his worst stuff in the church at Chambesy, Switzterland, which is a patriarchal (EP) church. The mind boggles as to how or why he was given the blessing to despoil a church so hideously.  Angry
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:19:32 PM by LBK » Logged
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #688 on: May 28, 2013, 12:25:27 PM »

Good idea in theory, but it would be only as good as the iconographic knowledge of the hierarchs who oversee it. The aforementioned Fr Stamatios has painted some of his worst stuff in the church at Chambesy, Switzterland, which is a patriarchal (EP) church. The mind boggles as to how or why he was given the blessing to despoil a church so hideously.  Angry

sorry for editing my post after the fact. I posted some of his work I kind of like.
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #689 on: May 28, 2013, 12:32:14 PM »

sorry for editing my post after the fact. I posted some of his work I kind of like.

Bright colors are not the problem, and Fr S can behave himself when he puts his mind to it, which makes his forays into self-expression and psychedelia all the more infuriating, as it's clear these works are not the result of honest ignorance. He also has an unfortunate tendency, even in his mainstream work, to paint large and wide eyes which, at best, give a "deer in the headlights" expression, and, at worst, are just creepy and sinister.

I've posted a few times on this thread, and on the Luke Warmodox thread, on images he has painted. If you haven't seen them, I'd recommend you do.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #690 on: May 28, 2013, 12:34:22 PM »

There's an icon of the Starbucks logo?

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Leave that no-account Oogie-Boogie out of this!

« Reply #691 on: May 28, 2013, 12:43:23 PM »

http://whitepaintedwoman.wordpress.com/2010/02/14/liban/

The Starbucks logo always looked more like one of the Furies to me.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #692 on: May 28, 2013, 02:21:53 PM »

Some of these wacky ones make me want to slap somebody.  Tongue

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #693 on: May 29, 2013, 03:09:58 AM »

Some of these wacky ones make me want to slap somebody.  Tongue

I don't think I could manage such restraint!  Shocked laugh
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 03:10:59 AM by LBK » Logged
W.A.Mozart
Elder

Faith: Orthodox christian
Jurisdiction: Eschaton

Lazare, veni foras!

« Reply #694 on: May 29, 2013, 03:49:04 PM »

found this on some serbian website. its their famous singer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceca_%28singer%29

completely new, especially not yet used
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #695 on: May 29, 2013, 07:15:56 PM »

found this on some serbian website. its their famous singer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceca_%28singer%29

The only thing worthwhile about this schlock are the fairy lights.

I'm also appalled and enraged by the incomprehensible stupidity of the artist, not only for painting such garbage (what a waste of paint, leaf - that's not gold paint in the background - and time!), but for where it was exhibited:

A student of the Faculty of Arts in Nis, Vladislava Djuric found herself in the spotlight after her work portraying a Serbian folk star Svetlana Ceca Raznatovic as an icon of the Holy Mother of God has been exhibited in a local elementary school.

In an interview for the daily Press, Vladislava said she was shocked as she never thought her artwork would get so much public interest and explained she had no intention of deriding the Serbian tradition.

“It was a work for graphic communications on the subject of Serbian brand. My idea was that a portrait of the folk icon presented as a holy painting reflects the current quality of Serbia’s culture. I chose Ceca as she is often referred to as a ‘Serbian mother’ – she is a synonym for a person who is victim, widow, hero, single mother… She has a very strong influence on many young people. In our everyday life she comes across as an icon and that is why I decided to present her this way. It is solely my artistic reflection on the reality, my personal attitude towards the modern Serbian society and no one else stands behind this idea.” Djuric explained.

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/6021484-folk-icon-as-holy-mother-art-or-profanity
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 07:16:58 PM by LBK » Logged
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #696 on: May 29, 2013, 10:00:38 PM »

The seals I've on the back of Greek icons simply certifies that the icon is cleared for export. Nothing to do with an episcopal imprimatur.

At any rate, what would an imprimatur do to stop the likes of Fr Stamatios Skliris, an Orthodox priest, and with a growing following through his book sales, lecture tours and painting workshops, who has knowingly and deliberately painted plenty of schlock in his time?
So you're saying Fr Stamatios should stamata?  Cheesy

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #697 on: May 29, 2013, 10:40:11 PM »

^ thanks for sharing.

Is it schlock? (it's a Serbian icon and the text in the Gospel is written in Serbia ""I am the Light of the world...")
My inner Doctor Who fan is fanboying over this icon so hard.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #698 on: May 30, 2013, 12:51:33 AM »

So you're saying Fr Stamatios should stamata?  Cheesy

YES!! If his bishop's name is Gregory, he should live up to his name and order Fr S to cease and desist.  Wink
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #699 on: May 30, 2013, 02:22:54 PM »

Not knowing much about the Serbian singer, I read up on her. The picture, painted in an ersatz iconographic style, goes well beyond schlock. It is blasphemous.

Were we Orthodox like the Muslim mobs, we would have rioted and demanded the painter's hand be dispatched for such sacrilege. Thankfully, we are a more patient lot and we can wait for God's judgment.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #700 on: May 30, 2013, 04:10:42 PM »

Well, I like Fr. Stamatis' icons.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #701 on: May 30, 2013, 04:54:30 PM »

Best. Schlock. Icon. Ever.

Although the painter forgot to giver her a cross halo and three stars. Better luck next time.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #702 on: May 30, 2013, 04:56:46 PM »

And I like chant that sounds like cats being drowned and camels being neutered.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #703 on: May 30, 2013, 05:32:48 PM »

And I like chant that sounds like cats being drowned and camels being neutered.

I was going to add something snarky about chanters, but the better angels stopped me.

As to the Serbian singer's painting...from reading her bio, it would seem  there is no need for the stars.....
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 05:33:26 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #704 on: May 31, 2013, 05:59:01 AM »

You're kidding me, right?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #705 on: May 31, 2013, 07:21:28 AM »

You're kidding me, right?

What's not to like?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #706 on: May 31, 2013, 07:24:41 AM »

^ That image reminds me of a sad dog. Just saying.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 07:25:22 AM by Nephi » Logged
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #707 on: May 31, 2013, 08:07:02 AM »

Although the painter forgot to giver her a cross halo and three stars. Better luck next time.

Yeah, probably the schlockest icon I've ever seen. And the fact it's been painted by my countrywoman... Gosh.  Embarrassed But I (and my Serbian family too) wonder why Ceca is so popular, although we have much better national (I mean, turbo-folk) singers - both sexes.   Roll Eyes

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #708 on: May 31, 2013, 08:48:18 AM »

The one of St. Isaac makes my eyes hurt.  Embarrassed

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #709 on: June 04, 2013, 11:40:56 PM »

19th century Russian icon.

Would this one also be schlock? "The Mother of God of Three Joys"

Both found here.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 11:44:04 PM by Nephi » Logged
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #710 on: June 05, 2013, 12:12:24 AM »

The same seal could be used on official church documents and church signs so people will know which churches are canonical and which aren't.

Um didn't you like join the trash-LBK bandwagon earlier in this thread at some point? Have you done another 180?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #711 on: June 05, 2013, 12:23:24 AM »

LOL! I have to start looking that this thread more.

*boggle*

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #712 on: June 05, 2013, 12:34:46 AM »

Both found here.

The first one is not an icon at all, but a conventional RC Sacred Heart painting of Christ, with the added imagery of Him as the Good Shepherd. It probably came out of Poland, western Ukraine, or some other region of middle or eastern Europe where Orthodoxy met with Roman Catholicism.

The second one is called Of the Three Joys (Trekh Radostyey), and is derived from Italian religious paintings of the "Holy Family" which entered Russia in about the 18th century. This is a well-known example of the type:

St Joseph the Betrothed is to the left of the Mother of God, and a young St John the Baptist to the right. It would have been better for the Virgin to be shown in her conventional attire, and with her hair covered, as well as the stars of virginity, of course. There are other versions which are more acceptable, such as this one:

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:37:29 AM by LBK » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #713 on: June 05, 2013, 12:38:44 AM »

Both found here.

These would in no possible way be schlock. Unless the person painting them is also making artisan mayonaise and selling it on etsy as well.

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #714 on: June 11, 2013, 03:48:19 PM »

The Surfing Madonna Grin
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 03:48:44 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #715 on: June 11, 2013, 07:16:34 PM »

Oh dear. Embarrassed

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #716 on: June 11, 2013, 07:40:04 PM »

The Surfing Madonna Grin

Now I've got this song rattling in my head  Shocked laugh laugh:

Well, I don't care if it rains or freezes,
Long as I have my plastic Jesus
Riding on the dashboard of my car
Through all trials and tribulations,
We will travel every nation,
With my plastic Jesus I'll go far.

CHORUS
Plastic Jesus, plastic Jesus
Through my trials and tribulations,
And my travels thru the nations,

I don't care if it rains or freezes
As long as I've got my Plastic Jesus
Glued to the dashboard of my car,
You can buy Him phosphorescent
Glows in the dark, He's Pink and Pleasant,
Take Him with you when you're travelling far

I don't care if it's dark or scary
Long as I have magnetic Mary
Ridin' on the dashboard of my car
I feel I'm protected amply
I've got the whole damn Holy Family

You can buy a Sweet Madonna
Dressed in rhinestones sitting on a
Pedestal of abalone shell
Goin' ninety, I'm not wary
'Cause I've got my Virgin Mary
Guaranteeing I won't go to Hell

I don't care if it bumps or jostles
Long as I got the Twelve Apostles
Bolted to the dashboard of my car
Don't I have a pious mess
Such a crowd of holiness
Strung across the dashboard of my car
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #717 on: June 11, 2013, 08:32:49 PM »

I don't have a plastic Jesus adorning my dashboard, but I am the proud owner of one of these:

http://www.ship-of-fools.com/gadgets/toys_pets_games/010.html

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #718 on: June 11, 2013, 11:57:18 PM »

The Surfing Madonna Grin

This was never an icon. It was a mosaic that was installed under a bridge in Encinitis California. The artist happened to be a roommate of the postdoc that I shared an office with. He went to Italy to study mosaic art and decided to apply it at home. No more, no less.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #719 on: June 11, 2013, 11:59:04 PM »

The Surfing Madonna Grin

Now I've got this song rattling in my head  Shocked laugh laugh:

Well, I don't care if it rains or freezes,
Long as I have my plastic Jesus
Through all trials and tribulations,
We will travel every nation,

CHORUS
Plastic Jesus, plastic Jesus
Through my trials and tribulations,
And my travels thru the nations,

I don't care if it rains or freezes
As long as I've got my Plastic Jesus
Glued to the dashboard of my car,
You can buy Him phosphorescent
Glows in the dark, He's Pink and Pleasant,
Take Him with you when you're travelling far

I don't care if it's dark or scary
Long as I have magnetic Mary
Ridin' on the dashboard of my car
I feel I'm protected amply
I've got the whole damn Holy Family

You can buy a Sweet Madonna
Dressed in rhinestones sitting on a
Pedestal of abalone shell
Goin' ninety, I'm not wary
'Cause I've got my Virgin Mary
Guaranteeing I won't go to Hell

I don't care if it bumps or jostles
Long as I got the Twelve Apostles
Bolted to the dashboard of my car
Don't I have a pious mess
Such a crowd of holiness
Strung across the dashboard of my car

We used to sing this in vacation Bible school along with that other brilliant work I posted about.

I'll be thinking this all day tomorrow.

Tags: schlock Blasphemy icons mechagodzilla 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: