Author Topic: Schlock Icons  (Read 946649 times)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Re: Schlock Icons
« Reply #3375 on: June 08, 2019, 01:00:10 AM »
^^ do you mean usage of an icon and quotations from Bible and saints for the ecological movements?

Correct.

https://www.orthodoxartsjournal.org/the-making-of-a-new-icon-christ-breaking-the-bonds-of-animal-suffering/
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Eamonomae

• The Dead
  • OC.net guru
  • I am become death, destroyer of worlds.
  • Faith: Lost
« Reply #3376 on: July 07, 2019, 12:18:13 AM »
I’m in Louisville, Kentucky with my family on vacation, and this was near the hotel we are staying at.

For reference:

« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 12:20:53 AM by Eamonomae »
"I go to seek a Great Perhaps."

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #3377 on: December 07, 2019, 10:10:38 AM »
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #3378 on: December 07, 2019, 10:54:33 AM »

I'm going to assume you misclicked and meant to put this in the "favorite icons" thread  :angel:
"when Mme. Vauquer lay down to rest on the day of M. Goriot's installation, her heart, like a larded partridge, sweltered before the fire of a burning desire to shake off the shroud of Vauquer and rise again as Goriot." - Balzac

Offline rakovsky

• Toumarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #3379 on: December 07, 2019, 06:55:43 PM »

"Ruler of the Cosmos" (2018) by Joni Zavitsanos
"The domes of Orthodox Churches around the world hold the strong and vibrant figure of Christ the Pantocrator or 'Ruler of the Universe'. In my depiction, Patriarch Bartholomew, persecuted in his native country and abroad, yet steadfast and unwavering in his love for God and mankind, and strong in his leadership of well over 3 million Orthodox Christians around the globe, is shown in the heavens as our ruler, who, while living with us on this earth, stands in the place of Christ and imitates Him."

SOURCE: https://jonizavitsanos.com/

Fordham University featuring modern Byzantine Iconography art exhibit by Joni Zavitsanos, opening Sep 12

Ms. Zavitsanos is the wife of National Council member John Zavitsanos, Esq., who was recently named the 2019 recipient of the Nicholas J. Bouras Award for Extraordinary Archon Stewardship. ... Ms. Zavitsanos’ extensive experience creating multimedia art reflecting a variety of cultures led to her exposure to Byzantine iconography, the earliest form of Christian art, which she uses to develop themes including the afterlife. The influence of her father (also an Archon) renowned Byzantine iconographer Diamantis Cassis, is also proudly visible in all her work.
https://www.archons.org/-/joni-zavitsanos-art-exhibit
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20