Author Topic: Schlock Icons  (Read 471478 times)

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
Re: Schlock Icons
« Reply #3240 on: June 23, 2017, 08:11:03 AM »
The iconographer is Orthodox.

1. That in itself doesn't make the image an icon suitable for Orthodox veneration. Fr Stamatis Skliris is an Orthodox priest, yet his psychedelic and often blasphemous schlock can be found throughout this thread.

2. It's passable for an Orthodox iconographer to paint an icon of a pre-schism saint for a non-Orthodox patron. It's improper for him to paint an "icon" of someone who his own Church does not, and cannot, venerate as a saint.

1. I didn't say it did.

2.  We know.
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #3241 on: June 23, 2017, 08:15:29 AM »

1. That in itself doesn't make the image an icon suitable for Orthodox veneration. Fr Stamatis Skliris is an Orthodox priest, yet his psychedelic and often blasphemous schlock can be found throughout this thread.

2. It's passable for an Orthodox iconographer to paint an icon of a pre-schism saint for a non-Orthodox patron. It's improper for him to paint an "icon" of someone who his own Church does not, and cannot, venerate as a saint.

1. I didn't say it did.

2.  We know.

There might be folks reading your post who could regard the religious affiliation of the painter of that image as giving legitimacy to the image from the Orthodox POV. I was setting the record straight.  :police:
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #3242 on: June 23, 2017, 11:40:30 AM »

Neither of those points has anything to do with what Fr Lance was responding to. 
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #3243 on: June 23, 2017, 11:46:55 AM »
Orthodox iconographers have to make money in-between church fresco commissions.  Orthodox Americans love things cheap and fast, like our fast food, so let the Catholics commission as many hand-painted icons as possible.  It'll make this thread more fun.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #3244 on: June 23, 2017, 11:48:35 AM »

Neither of those points has anything to do with what Fr Lance was responding to.

Also, Fr. Stamatis Skliris rocks.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #3245 on: June 26, 2017, 09:09:13 AM »
I think it's schlock beacause of the misconception of the Holy Trinity icon theology:

Well, this one may be considered as a kind of art (probably?):

The rest... maybe they're just strange, no idea... If you a lot of icons ("icons") from one place like this one, it's easy to loose orientantion what's apriopriate and what's not regarding the icons ::)

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline ilyazhito

• OC.net guru
« Reply #3246 on: June 27, 2017, 04:44:43 AM »
Whoa, some of these are just head-scratchers, because I don't know what they are going for.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #3247 on: June 27, 2017, 07:16:43 AM »
Yeah, none of these are good. Looks like something in an art school freshmen's exhibition. Not well-painted, either. Some folks seem to think you don't actually need to know how to paint to do icons (this shows up in "canonical" icons as well).
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #3248 on: September 02, 2017, 04:01:06 PM »
So these were not meant to be icons, but nevertheless, they do have an abstract, patriotic meaning in them for Egypt mingled with Coptic symbolism, by Farid Fadel

This first one seems to allude to the suffering of Copts in Egypt mimicking La Pieta while bringing out Egyptian national pride:

This next one mingles ancient pharaonic, Coptic, and Islamic religions on a young woman with Nubian features, most probably implying Egyptian national unity:

Source
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 04:03:10 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #3249 on: September 02, 2017, 07:35:03 PM »
Oh, boy. Not easy to look at.
My only weakness is, well, never mind