Author Topic: Schlock Icons  (Read 493321 times)

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
Re: Schlock Icons
« Reply #2880 on: April 09, 2016, 10:39:48 AM »

Ugh. Bad enough that it's 'shopped, but it's such a baaad 'shop at that.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Faith: The Ancientist Faith
  • Jurisdiction: Patristic, Neptic, Hesychastic, Philoka-
« Reply #2881 on: April 09, 2016, 10:50:47 AM »
It was purposefully edited to accompany an internet post as an internet graphic and was not intended to be a physical and venerated copy.  Obviously, the merit of such action is up for debate, but the intention should be known.
You sound like a professional who knows what he's talking about.  That's because you are.

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

"The human being is earth that suffers."
Letter of Barnabas 6.9

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #2882 on: April 12, 2016, 05:53:30 AM »
I've posted similar icons (the type of lines) in "Strange icons" section, but I think this one os rather schlock - it's close to Catholic thinking of the Holy Family.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2883 on: April 12, 2016, 12:30:03 PM »
I've posted similar icons (the type of lines) in "Strange icons" section, but I think this one os rather schlock - it's close to Catholic thinking of the Holy Family.

Ignorance IS bliss.
As I know nothing of art, I ignorantly like it.
A quick query: what makes it "Catholic"?
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline Keble

• All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2884 on: April 12, 2016, 01:09:58 PM »

Ignorance IS bliss.

Well, I don't know about the Holy Family, but the Jesse Tree framing is of western medieval origin.

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
  • Always honest, occasionally correct.
  • Faith: Ukrainian Greek Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Saint Josaphat in Parma
« Reply #2885 on: April 12, 2016, 01:41:39 PM »

Joseph looks like he's in a shampoo comercial, Jesus looks like he's either floating or a cardboard cut out (no real person could be held like that), and Mary looks like this.

Not to mention the tiny Jesse that looks like he's in fear of being squashed.
"For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" - Mark 8:36 (DRA)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2886 on: April 17, 2016, 07:27:24 AM »

Ignorance IS bliss.
Holy Family it's a Catholic term. It's aslo connected with different viewn on st. Josephs role (there is quite new thread about it).

God rested on the 7th day.

Moscow the third Rome

Sacred heart
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline BrotherBoris

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #2887 on: April 17, 2016, 10:07:58 AM »
I really like the "Moscow the Third Rome" icon and see nothing wrong with it at all.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2888 on: April 17, 2016, 10:20:29 AM »
I really like the "Moscow the Third Rome" icon and see nothing wrong with it at all.
The idea itself is wrong.

Offline BrotherBoris

« Reply #2889 on: April 17, 2016, 10:45:07 AM »
While I would not hold to it as a dogmatic position, I see nothing wrong with the idea as pious opinion or theologoumenon.  I can certainly understand and sympathize with those who developed the idea of Moscow as the Third Rome. As I understand history, Constantinople compromised with Rome right before its fall in 1453 and became Eastern Catholic.  Then it fell to the Turkish Muslims and returned to Orthodoxy. And while it did return to Orthodoxy, it was not free anymore and it was subject to harsh Turkish control and domination.  Moscow, at the time, was just coming into its own as far as growth and  political power in Russia.  Looking back on it now, I can certainly understand why pious Russian Orthodox people with a nationalist mentality could feel that Moscow was God's new anointed "Protector of Orthodoxy," even if that really wasn't the case. I can understand how a Russian version of the "Manifest Destiny" of the Moscow Patriarchate could develop in the minds of the Russian people.  Nearly every country in the world has a phase in its history at some point where some significant part of the people think that God has a special "covenant" with their nation to be a beacon and light to others on the Earth.  Nations such as Ancient Israel, the Byzantine Empire, Catholic Spain, the Holy Roman Empire beginning with Charlemagne, the British Empire, not to mention the United States of America, have all, at one time or another, viewed themselves as "God's Chosen Nation" when their nationalism got combined with their spirituality and religion.  Its a fairly common mistake many nations make when they confuse the Kingdom of Caesar with God's Kingdom.  That's how I view the "Moscow as the Third Rome" idea.  To many of the pious Russians of the time, that idea made sense.  That doesn't make it true or correct, but I can understand and respect how they arrived at that conclusion, and I will not judge them too harshly for it. Much of fundamentalist American Protestantism views the USA as the "Third Rome" although they would never use that term to describe it. President Reagan came very close to that viewpoint with all his talk of America as the "City set on a Hill" and a "Light" and "Beacon" to the rest of the world.

Modified "Uniate" to "Eastern Catholic"

--Mina
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 01:04:26 PM by minasoliman »

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2890 on: April 17, 2016, 11:17:57 AM »

Ignorance IS bliss.
Holy Family it's a Catholic term. It's aslo connected with different viewn on st. Josephs role (there is quite new thread about it).

Moscow the third Rome

Sacred heart

I want to know what the first one is about. I've seen it before and I want to know what it means.
"For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" - Mark 8:36 (DRA)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #2891 on: April 17, 2016, 12:31:12 PM »

He's napping!!  Under a blanket!!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 12:31:36 PM by Mor Ephrem »
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #2892 on: April 17, 2016, 12:35:27 PM »
While I would not hold to it as a dogmatic position, I see nothing wrong with the idea as pious opinion or theologoumenon.  I can certainly understand and sympathize with those who developed the idea of Moscow as the Third Rome. As I understand history, Constantinople compromised with Rome right before its fall in 1453 and became Eastern Catholic.  Then it fell to the Turkish Muslims and returned to Orthodoxy. And while it did return to Orthodoxy, it was not free anymore and it was subject to harsh Turkish control and domination.  Moscow, at the time, was just coming into its own as far as growth and  political power in Russia.  Looking back on it now, I can certainly understand why pious Russian Orthodox people with a nationalist mentality could feel that Moscow was God's new anointed "Protector of Orthodoxy," even if that really wasn't the case. I can understand how a Russian version of the "Manifest Destiny" of the Moscow Patriarchate could develop in the minds of the Russian people.  Nearly every country in the world has a phase in its history at some point where some significant part of the people think that God has a special "covenant" with their nation to be a beacon and light to others on the Earth.  Nations such as Ancient Israel, the Byzantine Empire, Catholic Spain, the Holy Roman Empire beginning with Charlemagne, the British Empire, not to mention the United States of America, have all, at one time or another, viewed themselves as "God's Chosen Nation" when their nationalism got combined with their spirituality and religion.  Its a fairly common mistake many nations make when they confuse the Kingdom of Caesar with God's Kingdom.  That's how I view the "Moscow as the Third Rome" idea.  To many of the pious Russians of the time, that idea made sense.  That doesn't make it true or correct, but I can understand and respect how they arrived at that conclusion, and I will not judge them too harshly for it. Much of fundamentalist American Protestantism views the USA as the "Third Rome" although they would never use that term to describe it. President Reagan came very close to that viewpoint with all his talk of America as the "City set on a Hill" and a "Light" and "Beacon" to the rest of the world.

Modified "Uniate" to "Eastern Catholic"

--Mina

I have highlighted for your convenience the reason why "Third Rome", or really any "Rome", should not be dignified even with the title "theologoumenon" or "pious opinion".
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 01:05:19 PM by minasoliman »

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline BrotherBoris

« Reply #2893 on: April 17, 2016, 12:50:37 PM »
Mor Ephrem:  I can also understand the distaste non-Russian Eastern European people might have who live in lands adjacent or close to Russia and who have experienced Russian rule or control at some point in their history.  I respect the struggles and efforts of such places as Finland, the Baltic states, Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania and others to rule themselves and not be subjugated  to outside rule by Russia or any other country. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 12:51:18 PM by BrotherBoris »

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Νέος Άνκορεϊτζίτης
  • High Elder
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist ("Double-Crossers")
« Reply #2894 on: April 17, 2016, 11:47:07 PM »
Moscow as Third Rome appeals to me as well but I figure it fell long enough ago that that shouldn't matter. I would be inclined to acquire a copy of the image just for the sake of it if a whole third wasn't devoted to the "saintliness" of Ivan the Terrible. He was a fairly effective tsar, sure, but his sainthood is too bitter a pill to swallow.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 11:47:28 PM by Hawkeye »
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #2895 on: April 18, 2016, 03:00:56 PM »
The Third Rome theory assumes that there will be no Fourth; therefore, if "Third Rome" is fallen, the apocalypse is upon us. This is why the Old Believers were convinced that the new rite brought the reign of Antichrist. And if that didn't do it, the Russian Revolution should have. So the Third Rome idea should be buried. It was a terrible piece of parochial, chauvinist ideology which isolated the Russian church from the rest of Orthodoxy and subjugated it to worldly politics.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #2896 on: April 18, 2016, 03:17:16 PM »
The Third Rome theory assumes that there will be no Fourth; therefore, if "Third Rome" is fallen, the apocalypse is upon us. This is why the Old Believers were convinced that the new rite brought the reign of Antichrist. And if that didn't do it, the Russian Revolution should have. So the Third Rome idea should be buried. It was a terrible piece of parochial, chauvinist ideology which isolated the Russian church from the rest of Orthodoxy and subjugated it to worldly politics.

I can kind of see how the logic of Third Rome is supposed to work, but I've never understood how "there can never be a Fourth" is supposed to follow on from it.
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #2897 on: April 22, 2016, 02:39:22 AM »
St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco

"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2898 on: April 22, 2016, 08:05:07 AM »

Schlock on several levels:

1. A seriously tacky bit of 'shopping (was it really necessary, given the multitude of icons painted of St John?)

2. He's wearing glasses, an iconographic no-no (but what do you expect, given that this image is from a photograph?)

3. He's pointing to Tsar Nicholas as the way to salvation, a sure sign this picture was produced by tsarebozhniki, ultranationalists who regard the death of Tsar Nicholas II as a redemptive sacrifice for the Russian people, equal to the sacrifice of Christ for the salvation of humanity. Undeniable heresy.

4. He's wearing a blue mantiya which metropolitans wear in Russian tradition. St John's highest episcopal rank was of archbishop, so his mantle should be purple. Russian patriarchs wear a green mantle.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #2899 on: April 22, 2016, 09:11:50 AM »
  wearing glasses, an iconographic no-no

Fabricating rules is fun.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2900 on: April 22, 2016, 09:16:36 AM »

I'll take that as a compliment.  ;)

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2901 on: April 22, 2016, 10:55:00 AM »

Why is that a rule though? Are glasses some sort of an unholy abomination? If so, I better start wearing contacts.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2902 on: April 22, 2016, 12:17:46 PM »

1. A seriously tacky bit of 'shopping (was it really necessary, given the multitude of icons painted of St John?)

2. He's wearing glasses, an iconographic no-no (but what do you expect, given that this image is from a photograph?)

3. He's pointing to Tsar Nicholas as the way to salvation, a sure sign this picture was produced by tsarebozhniki, ultranationalists who regard the death of Tsar Nicholas II as a redemptive sacrifice for the Russian people, equal to the sacrifice of Christ for the salvation of humanity. Undeniable heresy.

4. He's wearing a blue mantiya which metropolitans wear in Russian tradition. St John's highest episcopal rank was of archbishop, so his mantle should be purple. Russian patriarchs wear a green mantle.
Also, he's not completely facing us.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 12:17:56 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #2903 on: April 22, 2016, 12:18:40 PM »

Why is that a rule though? Are glasses some sort of an unholy abomination? If so, I better start wearing contacts.
As I understand it, icons are to depict saints as they are now in the Kingdom, not as they were in this life.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #2904 on: April 22, 2016, 12:39:34 PM »
So, does that mean in the kingdom, Saint Mary of Egypt looks like an emaciated crone, Seraphim of Sarov is hunched over, and John the Baptist carries his head around?

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2905 on: April 22, 2016, 12:40:03 PM »
I thought that angle of his head was pretty weird.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #2906 on: April 22, 2016, 12:46:06 PM »
So, does that mean in the kingdom, Saint Mary of Egypt looks like an emaciated crone,
Have you been able to confirm that she's fat now?

Seraphim of Sarov is hunched over,
Have you been able to confirm that St. Seraphim is no longer hunched over?

and John the Baptist carries his head around?
Did St. John the Baptist ever carry his head around?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 12:48:58 PM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #2907 on: April 22, 2016, 12:50:18 PM »
So, does that mean in the kingdom, Saint Mary of Egypt looks like an emaciated crone,

Have you been able to confirm that St John Maximovitch has 20/20 vision now? 

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #2908 on: April 22, 2016, 12:54:04 PM »

I imagine his vision is better than yours.

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2909 on: April 22, 2016, 01:11:07 PM »

Also, he's not completely facing us.

His hands are grotesque-looking. Blargh!
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #2910 on: April 22, 2016, 01:14:08 PM »

Imagining things, huh? Delusion, my boy!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #2911 on: April 22, 2016, 01:17:14 PM »

So you concede the futility of your line of questioning.  Good. 

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
« Reply #2912 on: April 22, 2016, 01:19:00 PM »

IMAGINE?!  IS OUTRAGE!!
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #2913 on: April 22, 2016, 01:23:48 PM »

I suspect (yes, is Outrage) that his vision was ALWAYS better than any of ours.....
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #2914 on: April 22, 2016, 01:25:28 PM »
So he didn't need the glasses, huh? Now you're accusing St John of being a hipster.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #2915 on: April 22, 2016, 01:28:52 PM »
So he didn't need the glasses, huh? Now you're accusing St John of being a hipster.

there is vision...and there is vision.....;)

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #2916 on: April 22, 2016, 03:41:39 PM »

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #2917 on: April 22, 2016, 06:04:30 PM »

Seems to me like you're the one initiating the questions around here. ;)

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #2918 on: April 22, 2016, 06:17:29 PM »

At least those are in better taste than the one of James Holmes I once saw.

(There were apparently a lot of people, mostly young women, who idolized Holmes and made fanart dedicated to him).
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #2919 on: April 22, 2016, 06:18:34 PM »

there is vision...and there is vision.....;)

Uncreated-light-vision glasses?
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2920 on: April 22, 2016, 06:21:42 PM »

there is vision...and there is vision..... ;)

Uncreated-light-vision glasses?
I want one of those. Maybe if I ask the bishop to bless my spectacles?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #2921 on: April 22, 2016, 06:41:35 PM »

Seems to me like you're the one initiating the questions around here. ;)

You have a strange definition of "initiate".

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #2922 on: April 28, 2016, 04:11:30 PM »
So I got this one from a friend...

Is there a legitimate use for it?
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2923 on: April 28, 2016, 05:11:54 PM »
So I got this one from a friend...

Is there a legitimate use for it?

IMO, yes. The homosexual subtext is just that, subtext and mostly up to interpretation. However, others, most famous LBK have denounced it as being gay propaganda. I'm not quite sure what makes this icon different from icons of Sts. Cosmas and Damien, other than the less than orthodox iconographer. To me. It's the image that matters, not the one who made it. After all, we don't really know who made most of the icons from before the 20th century. Who's to say some of them weren't just as heterodox as Br. Lentz?

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Νέος Άνκορεϊτζίτης
  • High Elder
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist ("Double-Crossers")
« Reply #2924 on: April 28, 2016, 05:39:58 PM »
Is Jonathan celebrated as a saint in the Orthodox Church?
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself