Author Topic: Schlock Icons  (Read 494334 times)

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
Re: Schlock Icons
« Reply #2700 on: October 05, 2015, 11:05:18 PM »

CREEPY

Canada is creepy.  I have a feeling that's why my ancestors emigrated from there.  Of course, they ended up in New Orleans...
You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #2701 on: October 07, 2015, 12:20:48 PM »

If there wasn't Holy Trinity depicted in such way, probably it would be acceptable:
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
  • Always honest, occasionally correct.
  • Faith: Ukrainian Greek Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Saint Josaphat in Parma
« Reply #2702 on: October 07, 2015, 05:05:19 PM »

OI! Not only heretical, but also plan ugly. The eyes are just creepy.

If there wasn't Holy Trinity depicted in such way, probably it would be acceptable:

No, there's more wrong with it. Adam and Eve being on top of the Earth, even if their posture is that of submission and humility, still suggests that they have dominion over the Earth, which is not the case. Also, the depiction of the dead Christ in the top of the image seems to suggest that Christ not in the same body as he was before the Crucifixion, and that he made a new body for himself for the sake of rising from the dead, and both bodies were assumed into heaven. Also notice how none of figures, not even the three figures intended to be the trinity, have a halo. Finally, there are figures at the bottom, that due to the number of wings I think are supposed to seraphim, are not displayed according to the canon, and neither are the 'cherubim' that are around the three trinitarian figures. They should look like this, with the seraphim colored red and the cherubim colored blue.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 05:21:18 PM by HaydenTE »
"For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" - Mark 8:36 (DRA)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #2703 on: October 07, 2015, 06:59:53 PM »

No, there's more wrong with it. Adam and Eve being on top of the Earth, even if their posture is that of submission and humility, still suggests that they have dominion over the Earth, which is not the case. Also, the depiction of the dead Christ in the top of the image seems to suggest that Christ not in the same body as he was before the Crucifixion, and that he made a new body for himself for the sake of rising from the dead, and both bodies were assumed into heaven. Also notice how none of figures, not even the three figures intended to be the trinity, have a halo. Finally, there are figures at the bottom, that due to the number of wings I think are supposed to seraphim, are not displayed according to the canon, and neither are the 'cherubim' that are around the three trinitarian figures. They should look like this, with the seraphim colored red and the cherubim colored blue.

What is Dominika's image supposed to be?
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2704 on: October 07, 2015, 08:14:17 PM »

An 'icon' called "The Divine Liturgy". It developed from this, canonical, icon.

It's commonly found behind the altar if an icon of the Theotokos with the Christ Child is not present.
"For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" - Mark 8:36 (DRA)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2705 on: October 08, 2015, 03:41:30 PM »
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2706 on: October 08, 2015, 03:47:49 PM »

Does anyone know if there is a canonical icon called Holy Wisdom? I've only ever seen that one and this one.

You would think they would have some basis from the canon, due to their age.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2707 on: October 08, 2015, 03:56:37 PM »
You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2708 on: October 08, 2015, 03:58:12 PM »

Interesting that it's in Greek and Russian. I've seen ones with elaborate details like that, but they are usually Russian.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2709 on: October 08, 2015, 04:04:42 PM »

The 'original icon'...

I think there was a middleman involved, by the name of Robert Lentz.

He added the egg, and then whoever made the one in white gave her a Bible, a red egg, and a blasphemous inscription, "I am the wife and the virgin."

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #2710 on: October 29, 2015, 10:02:23 PM »
Too many good ones to post:

http://www.olgalaxy.com/icons

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2711 on: October 29, 2015, 10:35:22 PM »

Must....resist....
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 10:35:54 PM by Amatorus »

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Faith: The Ancientist Faith
  • Jurisdiction: Patristic, Neptic, Hesychastic, Philoka-
« Reply #2712 on: October 29, 2015, 11:13:07 PM »
Somewhere on Athos, Antonis groans, and the skulls of the holy brethren with him!

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2713 on: November 04, 2015, 06:28:21 AM »

:o

Something not so schlocky, but it also doesn't suit to the "strange icons" topic; Rosary Mysteries by a RC from Jordan:

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2714 on: November 19, 2015, 01:57:22 PM »

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2715 on: November 19, 2015, 09:21:46 PM »

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #2716 on: November 20, 2015, 01:34:36 PM »
Is... is that Nikola Tesla?

It looks like him, but based on the bottom left hand corner, it might be the inventor of the koulourakia.
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2717 on: November 21, 2015, 06:47:38 AM »

Offline ilyazhito

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2718 on: November 23, 2015, 11:53:40 AM »

An 'icon' called "The Divine Liturgy". It developed from this, canonical, icon.

It's commonly found behind the altar if an icon of the Theotokos with the Christ Child is not present.
One version of the Christ the Great Hierarch icon, indeed! It appears on the back wall of the ROCOR cathedral in San Francisco main altar, and another version, with Christ the Great Hierarch overseeing the Great Entrance, is on the back wall at St. John the Baptist Cathedral in Washington, D.C. .  But the icon with the Theotokos on the steps and the Holy Wisdom icons are weird, to say the least.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #2719 on: November 24, 2015, 03:54:00 PM »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #2720 on: November 24, 2015, 09:30:41 PM »

Lol!!

On Sts. Coffee and Chocolate, I'm guessing St. Chocolate is the chubby one?  And who's the deity in the sky?  Abba Mocha?
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2721 on: November 26, 2015, 06:52:33 PM »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2722 on: November 26, 2015, 08:28:03 PM »
I have a small icon of that. :)
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2723 on: December 14, 2015, 02:52:39 PM »
Baptism of Russia

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2724 on: December 14, 2015, 03:20:11 PM »
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #2725 on: December 14, 2015, 03:33:07 PM »

What all is it supposed to mean?

It's the icon of the Synaxis of All OCNet Moderators.  We are always watching you. 
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2726 on: December 14, 2015, 03:37:08 PM »
Okay that did give me chills for a second.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #2727 on: December 16, 2015, 12:55:08 PM »

My guess is that the faces are some kind of statement about Christ as Preincarnate Wisdom.
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #2728 on: December 16, 2015, 01:13:46 PM »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2729 on: December 16, 2015, 09:02:09 PM »

My guess is that the faces are some kind of statement about Christ as Preincarnate Wisdom.

I think it's called the All-Seeing Eye, it must be some sort of reference to the omnipotence of God. I want to know why the disc face has four eyes. It's downright horrifying.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 09:02:39 PM by HaydenTE »

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #2730 on: December 16, 2015, 09:04:11 PM »

CREEPY

Canada is creepy.  I have a feeling that's why my ancestors emigrated from there.  Of course, they ended up in New Orleans...

Oh, you're a Cajun?  I had a very good Cajun friend who owned a rather nice restaurant.  I very much like all things "Acadian" except for rhe  music.   :P
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 09:06:57 PM by wgw »
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #2731 on: December 16, 2015, 09:15:14 PM »

I think it's called the All-Seeing Eye, it must be some sort of reference to the omnipotence of God. I want to know why the disc face has four eyes. It's downright horrifying.

I dunno, I kinda like it. It's like a trippy album cover. I mean, it's not an icon, but it is kind of interesting.
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2732 on: December 16, 2015, 11:49:21 PM »

CREEPY

Oh, you're a Cajun?  I had a very good Cajun friend who owned a rather nice restaurant.  I very much like all things "Acadian" except for rhe  music.   :P

Cajuns would never have an icon like this.

They'd have a super blue statue in a grotto in the front yard and a painting of The Virgin's Island at Pierre Part in the living room with little schlocky statues on the kitchen sink and a painting of the Immaculate Heart somewhere in the house.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 11:50:08 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2733 on: December 17, 2015, 01:03:20 PM »

Martyrdom of st. Stephan (maybe it's no schlock, but just strange?...)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #2734 on: December 18, 2015, 01:22:25 AM »
Martyrdom of st. Stephan (maybe it's no schlock, but just strange?...)

I'm not understanding the gaping hole underneath St. Stephen.  I also don't get why the people stoning are painted black, like demons.  The painter also really wanted to depict them filled with hate.

Some normal depictions:
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline 88Devin12

• Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #2735 on: December 18, 2015, 09:14:05 AM »
I wont post it because I don't have an image, and we will probably be burning it soon...

But our parish had a framed icon, painted in an extremely western style, that was of the Archangel Michael holding a sword, with Satan at his feet. The major problem with it, is that it depicts Satan, unmistakably as an African man with the stereotypical broad nose, broad forehead etc...

Nevertheless, we are getting rid of it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 09:14:17 AM by 88Devin12 »

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #2736 on: December 18, 2015, 09:48:44 AM »

With a few adjustements it could be really nice.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #2737 on: December 18, 2015, 09:58:26 AM »
I wont post it because I don't have an image, and we will probably be burning it soon...

But our parish had a framed icon, painted in an extremely western style, that was of the Archangel Michael holding a sword, with Satan at his feet. The major problem with it, is that it depicts Satan, unmistakably as an African man with the stereotypical broad nose, broad forehead etc...

Lord have mercy.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #2738 on: December 18, 2015, 11:23:17 AM »

Lord have mercy.

I would not at all defend such an icon but it is not uncommon to see references to demons as appearing "Ethiopian" in a lot of old Christian literature.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #2739 on: December 18, 2015, 11:57:16 AM »

Lord have mercy.

I would not at all defend such an icon but it is not uncommon to see references to demons as appearing "Ethiopian" in a lot of old Christian literature.

Can an Ethiopian change his skin?

But, this thread has suffered enough derails over the years lol.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2740 on: December 18, 2015, 12:08:09 PM »
After 61 pages, I'm amazed that the word icon is still being discussed in the thread!  :P
God bless!

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2741 on: December 19, 2015, 03:28:24 PM »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2742 on: December 31, 2015, 02:59:39 PM »
It's schlock, but I like it:

Offline ilyazhito

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2743 on: January 01, 2016, 09:39:57 AM »
Is this a Holy Family icon depicting them as Arabs? Probably historically accurate, but I would call it "good schlock". It's creative, but not for church, definitely.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2744 on: January 01, 2016, 05:32:01 PM »
Is this a Holy Family icon depicting them as Arabs? Probably historically accurate, but I would call it "good schlock". It's creative, but not for church, definitely.

Palestinians, precisely.