Author Topic: Schlock Icons  (Read 471352 times)

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: Schlock Icons
« Reply #2520 on: January 10, 2015, 04:41:23 PM »
The Orthodox didn't have to co-opt a saint to subjugate nations and satisfy the blood lusts of the conquistadors. 

Yeah, they did all that without co-opting saints. 

Picking on the Catholics for assimilating native cultural traditions is a slippery slope for us Orthodox. Yule logs anyone? Pisanky designs? Just sayin.....

I'm not arguing that making St. Olga equal to the Apostles is co-opting any Apostle and the Roman Catholics redefined St. Joseph according to an Aztec God.  The RCs have spent the next 5 centuries spreading that misrepresentation to the billions of her adherents.

I think some of the advice you're receiving is along the lines of "People in glass houses ..." In other words, if we listen to certain elements in academics, all saints were nothing more than transmutations of gods and all theology was nothing more than transmutation of myth. If we're eager to encourage this view against our religious enemies, then we're also encouraging its use against ourselves.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2521 on: January 10, 2015, 04:43:17 PM »
Why do things like filioque and St. Joseph's cult originate in Spain?

Maybe for the same reason that things like Nestorianism originated in Constantinople. 

Both Spain and the Byzantine Empire were in ascending stages when those heresies were developed.  Over a billion people believe in the filioque while how many people believe in Nestorianism?  A few dozen?  few hundred?  few thousand?

Why are you making the comparison in numbers today? I don't follow. Nestorianism saw great success before Islam.

Because the heresies of Roman Catholicism were backed by secular power.  The heresy of Nestorianism was backed by ... nobody, which is why their numbers border on extinction while Roman Catholicism flourishes.

You mean besides the Persian political complex that ran most of Asia before Islam?

Regardless of how strong Persia was from the late 4th century AD (when Nestorianism appeared) to the advent of Islam, what Nestorians Islam didn't wipe out, Genghis Khan and the Mongols essentially reduced them to the very low numbers we have today.

Exactly. Now, why are you making a comparison in numbers today?

Just to show how secular power has allowed for the survival of heresies.

How could it demonstrate that? You're holding up for contrast two heresies, one favored by the Bishop of Rome that has gone on to do very well and one favored by the largest political power in Asia that has gone on to dwindle away. ???
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #2522 on: January 10, 2015, 04:47:48 PM »
The Orthodox didn't have to co-opt a saint to subjugate nations and satisfy the blood lusts of the conquistadors. 

Yeah, they did all that without co-opting saints. 

Picking on the Catholics for assimilating native cultural traditions is a slippery slope for us Orthodox. Yule logs anyone? Pisanky designs? Just sayin.....

I'm not arguing that making St. Olga equal to the Apostles is co-opting any Apostle and the Roman Catholics redefined St. Joseph according to an Aztec God.  The RCs have spent the next 5 centuries spreading that misrepresentation to the billions of her adherents.

I think some of the advice you're receiving is along the lines of "People in glass houses ..." In other words, if we listen to certain elements in academics, all saints were nothing more than transmutations of gods and all theology was nothing more than transmutation of myth. If we're eager to encourage this view against our religious enemies, then we're also encouraging its use against ourselves.

I don't listen to those elements.  I disagree with what you're saying.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2523 on: January 10, 2015, 04:57:26 PM »
Oh, yes, you got your points of reference from that Aztec great-great-great-great-granduncle of yours that keeps coming uninvited to Thanksgiving dinner.

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #2524 on: January 10, 2015, 05:01:31 PM »
Therefore, Joseph, prefigured in Amram, is also a secondary figure to the prominence of the Virgin.
And were is such speculation confirmed by an official source?

This desire on this forum for 'sources' is problematic. I daresay that no well brought up Orthodox child, immersed in the Church, regardless of ethnic tradition would not 'know' that the Church teaches that the Exodus prefigures the coming of Christ and our Salvation from death through Christ and that St. Joseph is  secondary figure to that of the Theotokas. BUT.... the name Joseph is among the most common of Slavic baptismal names given to the first born male child ... indeed Joseph and Mary were almost always found in a family of many siblings. So, anecdotally speaking, the role of Joseph in the rearing of the Christ-child was respected and the model of the Holy Family did have a place in Orthodox cultures - at least in Eastern Europe. Any kid who was an altar server 'back in the day'  during the All Soul's Saturday litanies at most Slavic parishes will confirm the numerous repetition of those names in the parish family remembrances.

Knowing no Joseph, having no ancestors with such a name. It was a Catholic name.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #2525 on: January 10, 2015, 05:59:07 PM »
Yes, but if they contradict Scripture, then all those hymns and icons are just so much dross.

I'm curious if you'd really maintain that hymns and icons may contradict the Gospels (not that they do)?

Just to clarify, I did not say what is in the quote box under my username, Volnutt did.  :police:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 05:59:36 PM by LBK »
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2526 on: January 10, 2015, 06:07:32 PM »
This desire on this forum for 'sources' is problematic. I daresay that no well brought up Orthodox child, immersed in the Church, regardless of ethnic tradition would not 'know' that the Church teaches that the Exodus prefigures the coming of Christ and our Salvation from death through Christ and that St. Joseph is  secondary figure to that of the Theotokas.

Precisely. Thank you so much for saying this.  :-*

BUT.... the name Joseph is among the most common of Slavic baptismal names given to the first born male child ... indeed Joseph and Mary were almost always found in a family of many siblings. So, anecdotally speaking, the role of Joseph in the rearing of the Christ-child was respected and the model of the Holy Family did have a place in Orthodox cultures - at least in Eastern Europe. Any kid who was an altar server 'back in the day'  during the All Soul's Saturday litanies at most Slavic parishes will confirm the numerous repetition of those names in the parish family remembrances.

Interesting, though dare I say the frequency of Joseph as a baptismal name must be a phenomenon of the region you came from.  :)

Among Greeks and Russians, in my experience, Joseph is very rarely given as a baptismal name, but is more frequent as a name given at monastic tonsure. Also, I would be hard-pressed to recall the name Joseph being read out at general commemorations on Soul Saturdays in my experience in Greek and Russian churches. OTOH, Maria is exceedingly common among both Greeks and Russians.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #2527 on: January 10, 2015, 06:11:33 PM »
Yes, but if they contradict Scripture, then all those hymns and icons are just so much dross.

I'm curious if you'd really maintain that hymns and icons may contradict the Gospels (not that they do)?

Just to clarify, I did not say what is in the quote box under my username, Volnutt did.  :police:

But porter's question still stands, no matter how poorly put it is.
January 23, 2016, 03:47:17 PM   Ad Hominem - "mere foil"   +45

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foil_(literature)

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2528 on: January 10, 2015, 06:32:00 PM »

Porter has answered his own question.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #2529 on: January 10, 2015, 06:34:07 PM »

And you mine. Glad we all are of a same mind now.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2530 on: January 10, 2015, 06:38:57 PM »

Has anyone told you your cryptic shtick is old?

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #2531 on: January 10, 2015, 07:01:16 PM »
Scripture clearly describes St. Joesph as Christ's father. The Orthodox seem to come close to denying this with their insistence as reading "father" as something closer to "house man."

Not all Orthodox.  Some.  

Look, characters in the Gospels refer to Joseph as Jesus' "father" and "parent", as Mary's "betrothed" and "husband", and refer to Jesus as Joseph's "son".  But the Gospels also go to some effort to explain how he had nothing to do with the conception of Christ, how Jesus was "the son, as was supposed, of Joseph", etc., and all of that is absolutely critical, its importance cannot be overstated because it touches upon the person of Christ.  To refer to Joseph as "husband of Mary", as Jesus' "father", etc., then, is legitimate if we keep the whole testimony of the Gospels in mind because then we won't think of "husband" and "father" and "parent" in the usual sense.  There was nothing "usual" about this family.  But it was still a family, with a husband and a wife who were parents of a child.  To reduce him to a "house man", someone who was needed only to perform a role so that things would appear legitimate in the eyes of society is ultimately an affront to God, not to mention a dismissal of the testimony of Scripture and of people in the Gospels who ought to know something about what was what.  Fortunately, Orthodox tradition does not do such a thing, even if our veneration for St Joseph is not as pronounced as it became more recently in Roman Catholicism.        
Agreed.
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #2532 on: January 10, 2015, 08:24:27 PM »

Maybe for the same reason that things like Nestorianism originated in Constantinople. 

Both Spain and the Byzantine Empire were in ascending stages when those heresies were developed.  Over a billion people believe in the filioque...

Out of that one billion plus people, how many people understand the doctrine which Filioque teaches?  How many of them even know of the term "Filioque"?  How many of them know the (interpolated) Creed without having to read it from a page in a book? 

...while how many people believe in Nestorianism?  A few dozen?  few hundred?  few thousand?

Depends.  It could be upwards of over one billion people. 
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2533 on: January 10, 2015, 09:05:22 PM »
Depends.  It could be upwards of over one billion people. 

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #2534 on: January 10, 2015, 09:18:05 PM »

Both Spain and the Byzantine Empire were in ascending stages when those heresies were developed.  Over a billion people believe in the filioque...

Out of that one billion plus people, how many people understand the doctrine which Filioque teaches?  How many of them even know of the term "Filioque"?  How many of them know the (interpolated) Creed without having to read it from a page in a book?

The RCs teach each successive generation of their adherents to say the Filioque.  Some Protestant denominations also say the Filioque given that they kept some parts of Catholic teaching when breaking up with Roman Catholics.

...while how many people believe in Nestorianism?  A few dozen?  few hundred?  few thousand?

Depends.  It could be upwards of over one billion people.  

Are you referring to Islam?  Nah, that can't be.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 09:20:28 PM by SolEX01 »

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #2535 on: January 10, 2015, 10:42:46 PM »

Has anyone told you your cryptic shtick is old?
What's cryptic about it? He's accusing you of defending lines in the liturgy that he thinks contradict Scripture.
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #2536 on: January 10, 2015, 10:57:14 PM »

Both Spain and the Byzantine Empire were in ascending stages when those heresies were developed.  Over a billion people believe in the filioque...

Out of that one billion plus people, how many people understand the doctrine which Filioque teaches?  How many of them even know of the term "Filioque"?  How many of them know the (interpolated) Creed without having to read it from a page in a book?

The RCs teach each successive generation of their adherents to say the Filioque.  Some Protestant denominations also say the Filioque given that they kept some parts of Catholic teaching when breaking up with Roman Catholics.

You didn't answer my questions.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #2537 on: January 10, 2015, 11:03:11 PM »

Both Spain and the Byzantine Empire were in ascending stages when those heresies were developed.  Over a billion people believe in the filioque while how many people believe in Nestorianism?  A few dozen?  few hundred?  few thousand?

Why are you making the comparison in numbers today? I don't follow. Nestorianism saw great success before Islam.

Because the heresies of Roman Catholicism were backed by secular power.  The heresy of Nestorianism was backed by ... nobody, which is why their numbers border on extinction while Roman Catholicism flourishes.

You mean besides the Persian political complex that ran most of Asia before Islam?

Regardless of how strong Persia was from the late 4th century AD (when Nestorianism appeared) to the advent of Islam, what Nestorians Islam didn't wipe out, Genghis Khan and the Mongols essentially reduced them to the very low numbers we have today.

It is my impression that the Church of the East flourished under the Mongol Khan's. I think you are referring to Timur (Tamerlane) who obliterated the Nestorians almost out of existence.

There is a lot to be learned from the history of the Nestorians (both for the Roman Catholic in the West, and  the Orthodox in the East).
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #2538 on: January 11, 2015, 01:04:19 AM »

The RCs teach each successive generation of their adherents to say the Filioque.  Some Protestant denominations also say the Filioque given that they kept some parts of Catholic teaching when breaking up with Roman Catholics.

With those kinds of questions, I don't think anyone knows the answers.  Suffice to say that on Sunday, hundreds of millions of RCs (and Protestants who've kept the Filioque in their creeds) will recite the Filioque (in Latin and other languages - except for Greek) without understanding the doctrine or even knowing what they're saying.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 01:13:15 AM by SolEX01 »

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #2539 on: January 11, 2015, 01:14:19 AM »
There is a lot to be learned from the history of the Nestorians (both for the Roman Catholic in the West, and  the Orthodox in the East).

What lessons would that be?

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2540 on: January 11, 2015, 01:17:05 AM »

Don't go heretical or you'll get wiped out.  :P
God bless!

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #2541 on: January 11, 2015, 01:18:59 AM »

I was looking for something more esoteric; however, what you said makes perfect sense.   ;)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2542 on: January 11, 2015, 01:21:05 AM »

I was looking for something more esoteric; however, what you said makes perfect sense.   ;)
Sorry, my brain function is limited to internet memes and pithy statements.  :laugh:
God bless!

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #2543 on: January 11, 2015, 01:52:04 AM »

Sorry, my brain function is limited to internet memes and pithy statements.  :laugh:
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #2544 on: January 11, 2015, 01:56:55 AM »

...while how many people believe in Nestorianism?  A few dozen?  few hundred?  few thousand?

Could be a reference to Protestantism, which is pretty darn near close to 1 billion by now, and a solid majority of whom would probably cringe at the term Theotokos.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2545 on: January 11, 2015, 01:16:41 PM »

It is my impression that the Church of the East flourished under the Mongol Khan's. I think you are referring to Timur (Tamerlane) who obliterated the Nestorians almost out of existence.

In Pre-Islamic Iran, I believe Nestorianism was the fastest-growing religion and would probably have overtaken Zoroastrianism if the Sassanids continued to be incompetent and the Prophet never spread Islam.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #2546 on: January 11, 2015, 02:27:35 PM »

The RCs teach each successive generation of their adherents to say the Filioque.  Some Protestant denominations also say the Filioque given that they kept some parts of Catholic teaching when breaking up with Roman Catholics.

With those kinds of questions, I don't think anyone knows the answers.  Suffice to say that on Sunday, hundreds of millions of RCs (and Protestants who've kept the Filioque in their creeds) will recite the Filioque (in Latin and other languages - except for Greek) without understanding the doctrine or even knowing what they're saying.

That's what I thought.

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2547 on: January 11, 2015, 02:33:03 PM »

That's what I thought.

Er, wasn't the Filioque developed in reaction to distinguish the Church from the Arianism of the Kingdom of the Visigoths?

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #2548 on: January 11, 2015, 02:34:37 PM »
Er, wasn't the Filioque developed in reaction to distinguish the Church from the Arianism of the Kingdom of the Visigoths?

I'm not concerned with the history of the interpolation in this particular exchange. 

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #2549 on: January 11, 2015, 02:38:18 PM »

That's what I thought.

All this past 3 or 4 pages of this thread because someone gave me a Holy Family icon - reflective of a unrealistic and unattainable family structure.  I want to throw the icon away; however, my mother likes it.   :-\

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #2550 on: January 11, 2015, 02:40:44 PM »

Could be a reference to Protestantism, which is pretty darn near close to 1 billion by now, and a solid majority of whom would probably cringe at the term Theotokos.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking of Protestants - just focused on the dichotomy of RCs and Islam....

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #2551 on: January 11, 2015, 03:25:00 PM »
All this past 3 or 4 pages of this thread because someone gave me a Holy Family icon...

Three or four posts, maybe, but not the past three or four pages. 

...reflective of a unrealistic and unattainable family structure.

There are plenty of families where there is a husband, a wife, and a child who love each other.  There are plenty of families where this sadly doesn't exist, but it's not like it's an unrealistic and unattainable goal. 

I want to throw the icon away; however, my mother likes it.   :-\

Your mother probably understands that iconoclasm isn't the solution to your problem. 

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #2552 on: January 11, 2015, 04:12:18 PM »
All this past 3 or 4 pages of this thread because someone gave me a Holy Family icon...

Three or four posts, maybe, but not the past three or four pages.

This "tangent" on the Holy Family icon started with Reply No. 2259 and this reply will be 300 (give or take) replies after that.

...reflective of a unrealistic and unattainable family structure.

There are plenty of families where there is a husband, a wife, and a child who love each other.  There are plenty of families where this sadly doesn't exist, but it's not like it's an unrealistic and unattainable goal.

Sigh....   :-\  Thanks for the insight....   :-[

I want to throw the icon away; however, my mother likes it.   :-\

Your mother probably understands that iconoclasm isn't the solution to your problem. 

I still can't stand the icon, iconoclastic issues aside....

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2553 on: January 11, 2015, 06:14:39 PM »

Nope. Sol's mother has put pious sentimentality over everything else. This is not to judge her, as large numbers of folks do it, in honest ignorance. It takes a lot of patient, careful education to correct it, but it is possible, both at an individual level, and at parish level.

As for the claim of iconoclasm, it's not iconoclasm to do away with an image which was not a proper icon in the first place.  :police:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 06:17:54 PM by LBK »

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #2554 on: January 11, 2015, 06:53:20 PM »

Nope. Sol's mother has put pious sentimentality over everything else. This is not to judge her, as large numbers of folks do it, in honest ignorance. It takes a lot of patient, careful education to correct it, but it is possible, both at an individual level, and at parish level.

As for the claim of iconoclasm, it's not iconoclasm to do away with an image which was not a proper icon in the first place.  :police:

The argument of every iconoclast.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2555 on: January 11, 2015, 06:56:52 PM »

The argument of every iconoclast.

You keep saying that. So please enlighten us poor ignorants on why the image posted earlier expresses proper Orthodox doctrine and theology, and why it is suitable for veneration by Orthodox believers.

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #2556 on: January 11, 2015, 09:50:47 PM »
I still can't stand the icon, iconoclastic issues aside....

But that's a definition of iconoclasm.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #2557 on: January 12, 2015, 11:57:05 PM »
[qu

Nope. Sol's mother has put pious sentimentality over everything else. This is not to judge her, as large numbers of folks do it, in honest ignorance.

You already judged her.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2558 on: January 20, 2015, 07:46:48 PM »
Christ the Teacher:

A super weird Holy Silence:

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2559 on: January 20, 2015, 08:14:51 PM »
The first is from that repository of schlock, Trinity Stores (which also distributes the works of Robert Lentz); the second is Betsy Porter's take on a Prosopon School special. Miss Porter is also the painter of the "holy mermaid".

Here's the Prosopon version of Holy Silence (which is uncanonical on several levels, BTW):

Ugh.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 08:17:40 PM by LBK »

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #2560 on: January 20, 2015, 08:18:45 PM »
Why do they always make the poor Theotokos all squared off and neckless?
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2561 on: January 20, 2015, 08:42:44 PM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

More seriously, you've nailed a major flaw in this composition: it is very easy to interpret the winged figure as being the Mother of God, because of the figure of Christ in a mandorla, the veil and the three stars of ever-virginity on it. Unfortunately, the Prosoponites, including the founder of the outfit, are particularly resistant to correction, even when great errors like this are made.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 08:44:01 PM by LBK »

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #2562 on: January 20, 2015, 08:44:27 PM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

More seriously, you've nailed a major flaw in this composition: it is very easy to interpret the winged figure as being the Mother of God, because of the veil and the three stars of ever-virginity on it. Unfortunately, the Prosoponites, including the founder of the outfit, are particularly resistant to correction, even when great errors like this are made.

oh ....wow...its her -face- too....seriously if you didn't read the text....(and clearly i didn't)
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2563 on: January 20, 2015, 09:06:33 PM »

That's what I thought.

It was.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #2564 on: January 20, 2015, 09:55:11 PM »
Hey guys,

I was out for some time and normally I would have locked the thread and split off some of the posts, since I thought it would have made for a good discussion outside this thread, which should be a just-for-fun posting of the silly non-canonical (arguably for the most part that is) icons and comments on them.

In any case, I'm glad it's back to that.  For future reference, I would prefer that if you feel like the discussion can get longer or contentious that it could be taken to a new thread.

God bless.

Mina
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.