Author Topic: Schlock Icons  (Read 470607 times)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: Schlock Icons
« Reply #2430 on: January 09, 2015, 05:30:43 PM »
Apparently, you can get away with explaining your personal views of topics without justification. 

Yes, because they are my personal views.

I've been forced to justify my personal views. 

By whom?  Me?  If so, where?

It was a long time ago in the public fora.  Suffice to say that I've had to justify a personal view under threat of moderation.  I didn't make a big deal out of it then and I've compensated by not sharing my personal views in the public fora; however, you can share them with impunity and I can't remain silent any longer.

What the hell are you talking about?

Does it matter?  Whoever threatened me with moderation made their point.  There's no problem saying this in the public fora: I don't take crap from anyone.

Having said that, I don't have to justify myself to anyone on this forum.
I think I know what the problem is here.  Sol, you can be my date to the BBQ. I won't even dunk you in bleach. Unless, of course, your Indian. Then it is a requirement.
God bless!

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #2431 on: January 09, 2015, 05:37:57 PM »
I don't regret not being a member of the Mor fan club.  Whatever others see in you, I don't see in you.

That's just one less person we'll have to feed at the annual picnic.  Thanks for letting us know you won't be in attendance.

You mean to tell me there's an annual picnic and you guys haven't invited me yet?!

So that's why you haven't been showing up?  I'm just the cook, man.  I had no idea that the invitation committee dropped the ball.

Did somebody say 'pic a nic'? 

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #2432 on: January 09, 2015, 05:57:09 PM »
Apparently, you can get away with explaining your personal views of topics without justification. 

It was a long time ago in the public fora.  Suffice to say that I've had to justify a personal view under threat of moderation.  I didn't make a big deal out of it then and I've compensated by not sharing my personal views in the public fora; however, you can share them with impunity and I can't remain silent any longer.

Does it matter?  Whoever threatened me with moderation made their point.  There's no problem saying this in the public fora: I don't take crap stuff from anyone.

And this is precisely why you're not invited to the MorBQ

You can take your fake MorBQ....

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
« Reply #2433 on: January 09, 2015, 06:00:25 PM »

Does it matter?  Whoever threatened me with moderation made their point.  There's no problem saying this in the public fora: I don't take crap stuff from anyone.

Do you have ideas where we could have it?  I was thinking Elk Neck State Park up in Cecil Co, MD, as it's a relatively central location, but I'm open to other venues.
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2434 on: January 09, 2015, 06:01:19 PM »

God bless!

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2435 on: January 09, 2015, 06:01:49 PM »

Do you have ideas where we could have it?  I was thinking Elk Neck State Park up in Cecil Co, MD, as it's a relatively central location, but I'm open to other venues.
Do you live in Cecil County? I used to live in Elkton. I love Elk Neck State Park!
God bless!

Offline Schultz

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2436 on: January 09, 2015, 06:04:52 PM »

Do you live in Cecil County? I used to live in Elkton. I love Elk Neck State Park!

I live down in Baltimore City but one of my best friends lives in Conowingo, so I spend a good amount of time up that way.
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #2437 on: January 09, 2015, 06:06:18 PM »

You're asking the wrong person.

Offline Schultz

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2438 on: January 09, 2015, 06:08:44 PM »

Well, you said we should "take the MorBQ..." and I could only assume you meant you had an idea where we could take it.

Unless you were being vulgar, in which case, I don't think such an attitude is appropriate for this forum.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #2439 on: January 09, 2015, 06:13:17 PM »

Well, you said we should "take the MorBQ..." and I could only assume you meant you had an idea where we could take it.

Unless you were being vulgar, in which case, I don't think such an attitude is appropriate for this forum.

Ah, justifying a personal opinion - a rarity for this site....   ::)

Offline Schultz

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2440 on: January 09, 2015, 06:18:06 PM »

No, not really.  That's merely my opinion.  I haven't given any justification for it.  Does my statement warrant such a justification?  If so, please start another thread because this one has been derailed already with your hatred of our dear leader...I mean, dear friend...Mor.

:-*

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #2441 on: January 09, 2015, 06:19:03 PM »
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #2442 on: January 09, 2015, 06:38:35 PM »

You could start on the Boardwalk at OCMD at say, the Purple Moose and see where the spirit leads the group?

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #2443 on: January 09, 2015, 06:43:59 PM »

No, not really.  That's merely my opinion.  I haven't given any justification for it.  Does my statement warrant such a justification?  If so, please start another thread because this one has been derailed already with your hatred of our dear leader...I mean, dear friend...Mor.

I'm not starting another thread.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #2444 on: January 09, 2015, 07:02:13 PM »
Let me ask this question: if Joseph were shown as elderly, would this be an acceptable icon?

No. The youth of St Joseph is the least of this painting's problems from the Orthodox POV.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 07:02:59 PM by LBK »
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Keble

• All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2445 on: January 09, 2015, 07:14:55 PM »
Let me ask this question: if Joseph were shown as elderly, would this be an acceptable icon?

No. The youth of St Joseph is the least of this painting's problems from the Orthodox POV.

So then, is it possible to have some icon of the Holy Family?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #2446 on: January 09, 2015, 07:22:13 PM »

This is as close as it gets in Orthodoxy

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #2447 on: January 09, 2015, 07:29:15 PM »

:-*

If SolEX01's hatred of me had even a small part in drawing Schultz back into the fray, let SolEX01 hate me unto ages of ages. 
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2448 on: January 09, 2015, 07:44:19 PM »

Average lifespans were shorter primarily due to infant mortality, death in war, etc. People didn't really suffer from age that much more than now.

I think it is more complicated than this and the data isn't great. In the Roman Empire the life expectancy of a 35 year old (hopefully subtracting out most childbirth-related mortalities) was 56. It is now about 78 for a 35 year old M/F average without supplying additional information.

I think your statement is interesting, I have been thinking about it while having coffee this morning. It seems to me that there are a lot of statements that the level of cancer and Alzheimer's we are seeing is due to increased life expectancy. However, as we go back in time we should be seeing a greater amounts of these diseases as the percentage of older people in the population increases. Maybe I am missing something.

We read of plenty of examples of people in their 70s and 80s in antiquity, and not as tho they were prodigious either. There's even a famous exchange between poets as to whether to wish for 80, that is, more than the expected old age, or whether to wish for 60, that is, go out while retaining some vigor, as the luckiest end. (And remember the Psalm that refers to 70 as normal.)

Textbooks and other popular secondary sources made a habit during Modernism of presenting the worst data about the past with the worst twist as an underpinning to the secular doctrine that we progress in every way from our forebears.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2449 on: January 09, 2015, 07:51:15 PM »

Only the one of the Flight into Egypt. It is worth noting that in such icons, St Joseph is shown at a distance from the Virgin and Child, and gesturing towards them in supplication and reverence, just as he is also a background figure in icons of the Meeting of the Lord.

However, the notion of the "holy family" as it is expressed in the west is not one found in Orthodoxy.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #2450 on: January 09, 2015, 07:58:00 PM »

Only the one of the Flight into Egypt. It is worth noting that in such icons, St Joseph is shown at a distance from the Virgin and Child, and gesturing towards them in supplication and reverence, just as he is also a background figure in icons of the Meeting of the Lord.

However, the notion of the "holy family" as it is expressed in the west is not one found in Orthodoxy.
I hardly think the Theotokos and Christ saw him as just a background player. You act like he was their slave or something.

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2451 on: January 09, 2015, 07:59:40 PM »

I hardly think the Theotokos and Christ saw him as just a background player. You act like he was their slave or something.

They never actually lived in the same house, St. Joseph just kept an eye on them with a primitive telescope across the street.

I think the whole "holy family" thing gets a bad rep around here partly because it's so popular in RC.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Keble

• All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2452 on: January 09, 2015, 08:00:27 PM »

Exactly what notion is that?

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2453 on: January 09, 2015, 08:05:29 PM »
Anyway, we've had this same conversation about St. Joseph many times so I'm going back to schlock. I found the Peter the Great 'icon' I mentioned earlier:

It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #2454 on: January 09, 2015, 08:07:41 PM »

If SolEX01's hatred of me had even a small part in drawing Schultz back into the fray, let SolEX01 hate me unto ages of ages. 

Amen.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #2455 on: January 09, 2015, 08:11:22 PM »
I think the whole "holy family" thing gets a bad rep around here partly because it's so popular in RC.

You went there...
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #2456 on: January 09, 2015, 08:35:13 PM »
I think she's absolutely right.

I don't what's wrong with borrowing something from Roman Catholicism that happens to be a good thing.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2457 on: January 09, 2015, 08:41:43 PM »

I don't what's wrong with borrowing something from Roman Catholicism that happens to be a good thing.

When it is contrary to what Orthodoxy teaches, it is not a good thing.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #2458 on: January 09, 2015, 08:43:27 PM »

Average lifespans were shorter primarily due to infant mortality, death in war, etc. People didn't really suffer from age that much more than now.

I think it is more complicated than this and the data isn't great. In the Roman Empire the life expectancy of a 35 year old (hopefully subtracting out most childbirth-related mortalities) was 56. It is now about 78 for a 35 year old M/F average without supplying additional information.

I think your statement is interesting, I have been thinking about it while having coffee this morning. It seems to me that there are a lot of statements that the level of cancer and Alzheimer's we are seeing is due to increased life expectancy. However, as we go back in time we should be seeing a greater amounts of these diseases as the percentage of older people in the population increases. Maybe I am missing something.

We read of plenty of examples of people in their 70s and 80s in antiquity, and not as tho they were prodigious either. There's even a famous exchange between poets as to whether to wish for 80, that is, more than the expected old age, or whether to wish for 60, that is, go out while retaining some vigor, as the luckiest end. (And remember the Psalm that refers to 70 as normal.)

Textbooks and other popular secondary sources made a habit during Modernism of presenting the worst data about the past with the worst twist as an underpinning to the secular doctrine that we progress in every way from our forebears.

I wasn't really arguing with OrthoNoob. His statement made sense. I used Bruce Frier's Landlords and Tenants in Imperial Rome (1980) to get an idea of what the life expectancy might be. I am not sure how applicable that data is, I haven't read it.

If I am missing your point, let me know.

The past is probably worse than what it written in popular secondary sources, I am not sure why you are bringing this up.
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2459 on: January 09, 2015, 08:51:39 PM »

Source?

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2460 on: January 09, 2015, 08:54:59 PM »
... The past is probably worse than what it written in popular secondary sources ...

Uh huh.

I am not sure why you are bringing this up.

That you can say something like that is why I brought it up. (Altho keep in mind I stipulated sources in the modern era of academics, that is, when you were growing up. Post-modern popular secondary sources have changed in some ways, sometimes quite a bit. Yet the old presuppositions, so contentiously beaten into us during the modern era, tend to remain.)
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #2461 on: January 09, 2015, 08:55:53 PM »

Source?
You have to message her and kiss her ring to find out.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2462 on: January 09, 2015, 08:56:03 PM »

Source?

I'm not posting a twelve page document here, for various reasons. PM me with a suitable email address, and I'd be very happy to send it to you.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2463 on: January 09, 2015, 08:57:26 PM »

Source?

My offer is freely available for those who are interested. Several have already taken it up. Your snarkiness is unbecoming and unwarranted.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #2464 on: January 09, 2015, 08:58:34 PM »

Source?

My offer is freely available for those who are interested. Several have already taken it up. Your snarkiness is unbecoming and unwarranted.
And your silly little elitist games are unbecoming and unwarranted.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2465 on: January 09, 2015, 08:59:56 PM »

Source?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My email address is in my profile, it isn't hidden.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 09:00:27 PM by LBK »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #2466 on: January 09, 2015, 09:03:03 PM »

Source?

Guess we can't discuss this further without bringing PMs into it, then...

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2467 on: January 09, 2015, 09:09:48 PM »

Source?

Nevermind.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2468 on: January 09, 2015, 09:13:22 PM »

Source?

Guess we can't discuss this further without bringing PMs into it, then...

Not at all. There are several threads where St Joseph and his iconography are discussed.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2469 on: January 09, 2015, 09:39:30 PM »

I hear the Catliks are into that Jesus fellow as well. Dirty Papists.
God bless!

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #2470 on: January 10, 2015, 02:16:31 AM »
I ought to attend the nearest Indian OO church (if I can figure out whether or not they are authentic Indian OO) and take a census of what they believe about St. Joseph's age.

I highly doubt you'd find more than one or two people who put any thought at all into St. Joseph's age.

Thank you for your input.   :)

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #2471 on: January 10, 2015, 02:27:18 AM »
My issues are the depiction of St. Joseph as a younger man who resembles Christ and how he leans his head towards the Virgin Mary.  Doesn't Tradition tell us that St. Joseph was already an older man who died during Christ's time on earth?

The youth of St Joseph is just one error in the painting which flies in the face of Church tradition. Even western religious art, including paintings of the Nativity, the Meeting of the Lord, and the Flight into Egypt, consistently shows St Joseph with white hair and beard, consistent with the tradition that he was 80 years old when he was betrothed to the Virgin. The dark-haired depictions appeared only very recently, probably no earlier than 50 or so years ago.

Another innovation of Vatican II???

Possibly.

The "young St. Joseph" is a Counter-Reformation phenomenon, tied up in Spanish colonialism. He was reconceptualized as a young, vigorous protector when he was selected as the patron of the conquest and conversion of Mexico in 1555, and was named patron of the Kingdom of Spain in 1679 by King Charles II, displacing the traditional St. James ("Santiago"). This aspect of his imagery is detailed in Creating the Cult of St. Joseph: Art and Gender in the Spanish Empire by Charlene Villaseñor Black. The introduction is available online.

My own experience of Catholic holy cards and devotional images, mostly late 19th and early 20th century, is a somewhat feminized St. Joseph. Well, to be honest, everyone looks feminized in the devotional art of that period, which is - to put it mildly - not my favorite.  :)

The cult of St. Joseph was co-opted from a Mexican god and used to pacify the Aztecs in Mexico.  From one of the reviews:

gradual attribution to Saint Joseph of characteristics previously associated with a native Mexican deity, Tlaloc, the “god of the rains,” was a means to convert the native Mexican population to Catholicism.

Saint Joseph was used as a model for the ideal husband: chaste, supportive of his wife, and even forgiving of suspected adultery.

http://www.caareviews.org/reviews/1203

Why do things like filioque and St. Joseph's cult originate in Spain?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #2472 on: January 10, 2015, 02:35:42 AM »
My issues are the depiction of St. Joseph as a younger man who resembles Christ and how he leans his head towards the Virgin Mary.  Doesn't Tradition tell us that St. Joseph was already an older man who died during Christ's time on earth?

The youth of St Joseph is just one error in the painting which flies in the face of Church tradition. Even western religious art, including paintings of the Nativity, the Meeting of the Lord, and the Flight into Egypt, consistently shows St Joseph with white hair and beard, consistent with the tradition that he was 80 years old when he was betrothed to the Virgin. The dark-haired depictions appeared only very recently, probably no earlier than 50 or so years ago.

Another innovation of Vatican II???

Possibly.

The "young St. Joseph" is a Counter-Reformation phenomenon, tied up in Spanish colonialism. He was reconceptualized as a young, vigorous protector when he was selected as the patron of the conquest and conversion of Mexico in 1555, and was named patron of the Kingdom of Spain in 1679 by King Charles II, displacing the traditional St. James ("Santiago"). This aspect of his imagery is detailed in Creating the Cult of St. Joseph: Art and Gender in the Spanish Empire by Charlene Villaseñor Black. The introduction is available online.

My own experience of Catholic holy cards and devotional images, mostly late 19th and early 20th century, is a somewhat feminized St. Joseph. Well, to be honest, everyone looks feminized in the devotional art of that period, which is - to put it mildly - not my favorite.  :)

The cult of St. Joseph was co-opted from a Mexican god and used to pacify the Aztecs in Mexico.  From one of the reviews:

gradual attribution to Saint Joseph of characteristics previously associated with a native Mexican deity, Tlaloc, the “god of the rains,” was a means to convert the native Mexican population to Catholicism.
And Ephesus went from a center of Artemis/Diana worship to a center of Theotokos veneration and the location of the Council that codified her status. What's your point? ;)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2473 on: January 10, 2015, 02:40:23 AM »
I don't regret not being a member of the Mor fan club.  Whatever others see in you, I don't see in you.

That's just one less person we'll have to feed at the annual picnic.  Thanks for letting us know you won't be in attendance.

You mean to tell me there's an annual picnic and you guys haven't invited me yet?!

Thanks for reminding me. I have to pick up the cookies.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Chiere

• Reserve Grand Champion
  • Penalty Box
  • High Elder
  • Lugia stares deep into the depths of your soul
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Indianapolis
« Reply #2474 on: January 10, 2015, 02:40:23 AM »
So what exactly are you discussing right now? Just curious.

To God Be the Glory!