Author Topic: Schlock Icons  (Read 470609 times)

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
Re: Schlock Icons
« Reply #2385 on: January 09, 2015, 02:14:38 AM »
It's fine to agree to disagree - which is what we're doing here.  While you can acknowledge how the EO view St. Joseph, you have an alternative theory that is based on 16th century RC doctrine - which is not OK since I'd rather not venerate 16th century RC doctrine junk.

What is my alternative theory?

Your indifference towards how St. Joseph is depicted. 

Since when is "indifference" regarding the depiction of St Joseph a "theory that is based on 16th century RC doctrine"?

There has been no explanation on why and how Indian OO can view St. Joseph differently than EO.  The issue was never discussed in seminary.

When I'm asked to justify something, I have to justify it.  In your case, you're not justifying anything at all.

What do I have to justify?  I have no problem with St Joseph being depicted as an old man.  I have no problem with St Joseph being depicted as a young man.  This "indifference" is largely a matter of personal taste and opinion.

So calling yourself the 14th Apostle and saying that there's no problem with St. Joseph being depicted as a young man are figments of your personal taste and opinion?   ???

The only thing I can recall saying that might require justification is that "young" does not necessarily imply "sexually active", and therefore a "young St Joseph" can still be a "chaste" and "celibate" St Joseph.  But the fact that "young" does not necessarily imply "sexually active"...how exactly do you want me to justify that?  Shall I take a census of the men of OCNet? 

I ought to attend the nearest Indian OO church (if I can figure out whether or not they are authentic Indian OO) and take a census of what they believe about St. Joseph's age.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #2386 on: January 09, 2015, 03:19:42 AM »
One of these days I'm going to surf OC.net with my glass of rye in hand and see if it makes more sense.

It won't.  You have to drink the whiskey first.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #2387 on: January 09, 2015, 03:20:10 AM »
I ought to attend the nearest Indian OO church (if I can figure out whether or not they are authentic Indian OO) and take a census of what they believe about St. Joseph's age.

You should.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #2388 on: January 09, 2015, 03:24:35 AM »

You should.

Mor is just one person with one opinion.  I'm curious if other Indian OO think like he does and if so, why.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2389 on: January 09, 2015, 04:02:02 AM »
One of these days I'm going to surf OC.net with my glass of rye in hand and see if it makes more sense.

Vodka helps too.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline OrthoNoob

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2390 on: January 09, 2015, 05:01:21 AM »
My issues are the depiction of St. Joseph as a younger man who resembles Christ and how he leans his head towards the Virgin Mary.  Doesn't Tradition tell us that St. Joseph was already an older man who died during Christ's time on earth?

The youth of St Joseph is just one error in the painting which flies in the face of Church tradition. Even western religious art, including paintings of the Nativity, the Meeting of the Lord, and the Flight into Egypt, consistently shows St Joseph with white hair and beard, consistent with the tradition that he was 80 years old when he was betrothed to the Virgin. The dark-haired depictions appeared only very recently, probably no earlier than 50 or so years ago.

Another innovation of Vatican II???

Possibly.

Transform St. Joseph from an old man who was merely Mary's "protector" into someone who fit in with 1960's morals and values....
Mary's family was "normal" in the sense that St. Anna and St. Joachim were normally married, it's implied they had a normal sexual life, in short, and the Theotokos was normally conceived.

It's not just "implied", it had better be true, otherwise it would turn Mary into a some sort of demigoddess, different than the rest of us humans.

Regarding St. Joseph being 80 at the time, keep in mind that he taught Jesus in the family business (carpentry). This would have taken some time, like any apprenticeship, and it's a very healthy nonagenarian indeed who's able to still practice and teach carpentry. Especially in the first century when average lifespans were shorter. But I suppose anything's possible. I've known one guy at least who was still able to do that kind of work at that age.

Also, maybe his longevity and health was miraculous in origin.

On the other hand, having him in his twenties would not work well either, since it wouldn't have given him time to have one or more previous marriage(s) and children (and many people think he did, since that would explain where the Desposnyi, and Jesus' unnamed sisters, came from.)

Average lifespans were shorter primarily due to infant mortality, death in war, etc. People didn't really suffer from age that much more than now.
http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #2391 on: January 09, 2015, 05:48:20 AM »
Their argument is that anything that looks like him holding Christ the way the Theotokos holds Christ implies that St. Joesph is Christ's biological father.

Who is doing the arguing?

Porter and LBK, in this thread. I don't what SolEX is on about now.
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Offline sheenj

• OC.net guru
  • St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Church
« Reply #2392 on: January 09, 2015, 09:19:12 AM »

I highly doubt you'd find more than one or two people who put any thought at all into St. Joseph's age.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2393 on: January 09, 2015, 09:49:24 AM »

I'm just curious, I voiced the same exact thing about being indifferent regarding the age of St. Joseph earlier in this thread, but you never assumed that could be extrapolated out to all Antiochian Orthodox. Why is Mor and the Indian OO any different?  ???
God bless!

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2394 on: January 09, 2015, 10:54:11 AM »

I'm just curious, I voiced the same exact thing about being indifferent regarding the age of St. Joseph earlier in this thread, but you never assumed that could be extrapolated out to all Antiochian Orthodox. Why is Mor and the Indian OO any different?  ???

You're not the forum bogeyman.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Keble

• All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2395 on: January 09, 2015, 11:00:11 AM »
Let me ask this question: if Joseph were shown as elderly, would this be an acceptable icon?

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #2396 on: January 09, 2015, 11:32:10 AM »
Their argument is that anything that looks like him holding Christ the way the Theotokos holds Christ implies that St. Joesph is Christ's biological father.

Thanks! I will just wait for a more authoritative source then. In regard to the other conversation, I am not sure what it is about. I think it is about whether your hair has to grey when you are in your 60s and that Roman Catholic iconographers are too lazy to put in the appropriate amount of wrinkles when warranted.
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #2397 on: January 09, 2015, 11:35:53 AM »

Thanks! I will just wait for a more authoritative source then. In regard to the other conversation, I am not sure what it is about. I think it is about whether your hair has to grey when you are in your 60s and that Roman Catholic iconographers are too lazy to put in the appropriate amount of wrinkles when warranted.
LBK said the Orthodox teaching is that St. Joseph was 80 at the time of his betrothal to the Theotokos. I don't know if that's true or not.
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #2398 on: January 09, 2015, 12:02:23 PM »

Average lifespans were shorter primarily due to infant mortality, death in war, etc. People didn't really suffer from age that much more than now.

I think it is more complicated than this and the data isn't great. In the Roman Empire the life expectancy of a 35 year old (hopefully subtracting out most childbirth-related mortalities) was 56. It is now about 78 for a 35 year old M/F average without supplying additional information.

I think your statement is interesting, I have been thinking about it while having coffee this morning. It seems to me that there are a lot of statements that the level of cancer and Alzheimer's we are seeing is due to increased life expectancy. However, as we go back in time we should be seeing a greater amounts of these diseases as the percentage of older people in the population increases. Maybe I am missing something.
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2399 on: January 09, 2015, 12:24:44 PM »

You're not the forum bogeyman.
:( And I tried so hard to get that title too.  :'(
God bless!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #2400 on: January 09, 2015, 12:24:57 PM »
It's fine to agree to disagree - which is what we're doing here.  While you can acknowledge how the EO view St. Joseph, you have an alternative theory that is based on 16th century RC doctrine - which is not OK since I'd rather not venerate 16th century RC doctrine junk.

Since when is "indifference" regarding the depiction of St Joseph a "theory that is based on 16th century RC doctrine"?

There has been no explanation on why and how Indian OO can view St. Joseph differently than EO. 

You have not demonstrated that "Indian OO" have a view of St Joseph at odds with the EO.  You haven't even demonstrated that I have a view of St Joseph at odds with EO.  I expressed an indifference over the age at which St Joseph is depicted in art and you are having some sort of a fit and extrapolating wildly.  

The issue was never discussed in seminary.

No, it wasn't.  

When I'm asked to justify something, I have to justify it.  In your case, you're not justifying anything at all.

What do I have to justify?  I have no problem with St Joseph being depicted as an old man.  I have no problem with St Joseph being depicted as a young man.  This "indifference" is largely a matter of personal taste and opinion.

So calling yourself the 14th Apostle and saying that there's no problem with St. Joseph being depicted as a young man are figments of your personal taste and opinion?   ???

Sure, let's go with that.

The only thing I can recall saying that might require justification is that "young" does not necessarily imply "sexually active", and therefore a "young St Joseph" can still be a "chaste" and "celibate" St Joseph.  But the fact that "young" does not necessarily imply "sexually active"...how exactly do you want me to justify that?  Shall I take a census of the men of OCNet? 

If you would like any help in locating a church, please don't hesitate to ask.  
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #2401 on: January 09, 2015, 04:29:20 PM »

There has been no explanation on why and how Indian OO can view St. Joseph differently than EO. 

You have not demonstrated that "Indian OO" have a view of St Joseph at odds with the EO.  You haven't even demonstrated that I have a view of St Joseph at odds with EO.  I expressed an indifference over the age at which St Joseph is depicted in art and you are having some sort of a fit and extrapolating wildly.

Apparently, you can get away with explaining your personal views of topics without justification.  You and PtA attack LBK for how iconography is rooted in the hymnology and tradition of the Orthodox Church.  Neither of you can accept LBK's reasoning for iconography and I don't accept your personal view that St. Joseph can be depicted as a younger man.

If you would like any help in locating a church, please don't hesitate to ask.  

Thanks for the offer.   :)

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2402 on: January 09, 2015, 04:31:09 PM »
Sol, why are you so upset by this?

I think people just get irritated when someone says "this is how it is" but cannot/will not name a source.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 04:32:07 PM by kelly »
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #2403 on: January 09, 2015, 04:32:18 PM »

Simple, you're not Mor.   ;)

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
« Reply #2404 on: January 09, 2015, 04:33:03 PM »

Apparently, you can get away with explaining your personal views of topics without justification.  You and PtA attack LBK for how iconography is rooted in the hymnology and tradition of the Orthodox Church. 

note the bolded part.  they're speaking explicitly for themselves and not for others (or the Church as a whole).  they dont have to justify themselves to you or anyone else.

Neither of you can accept LBK's reasoning for iconography and I don't accept your personal view that St. Joseph can be depicted as a younger man.

I'm sure he's going to lose a lot of sleep over this.
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #2405 on: January 09, 2015, 04:42:19 PM »
note the bolded part.  they're speaking explicitly for themselves and not for others (or the Church as a whole).  they dont have to justify themselves to you or anyone else.

So much for discussion if people don't have to justify themselves to anyone.   :o

I'm sure he's going to lose a lot of sleep over this.

They should shut up.   :police:

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #2406 on: January 09, 2015, 04:47:25 PM »
Apparently, you can get away with explaining your personal views of topics without justification. 

Yes, because they are my personal views.  

You and PtA attack LBK for how iconography is rooted in the hymnology and tradition of the Orthodox Church. 

I don't attack LBK for "how iconography is rooted in the hymnology and tradition of the Orthodox Church".  I don't attack LBK at all and I take it for granted that there is a relationship between icons and liturgy.  I disagree with some of her assertions and offer counter-arguments.  When I do so, I present supporting "evidence" for my argument and clearly lay out why I disagree with her assertions.  If, at the end of the day, we disagree, then we disagree, but that doesn't lessen my esteem for her.  

Now, if you can't appreciate that due to an inability to understand my posts, personal disdain for me, or whatever, there's only so much I can do about that.  But in any case, stop making up nonsense about me.    

Neither of you can accept LBK's reasoning for iconography and I don't accept your personal view that St. Joseph can be depicted as a younger man.

My personal view that I have no objection to depicting St Joseph either as an octogenarian or as a twenty-something young man is just that: a personal opinion which I force on no one.  You don't accept my personal view that St Joseph can be depicted as a younger man?  Good for you.  I hope your family treats you to a nice dinner to celebrate your remarkable accomplishment.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #2407 on: January 09, 2015, 05:01:12 PM »
Apparently, you can get away with explaining your personal views of topics without justification. 

I've been forced to justify my personal views.  You're no better than me.

You and PtA attack LBK for how iconography is rooted in the hymnology and tradition of the Orthodox Church. 

I don't attack LBK for "how iconography is rooted in the hymnology and tradition of the Orthodox Church".  I don't attack LBK at all and I take it for granted that there is a relationship between icons and liturgy.  I disagree with some of her assertions and offer counter-arguments.  When I do so, I present supporting "evidence" for my argument and clearly lay out why I disagree with her assertions.  If, at the end of the day, we disagree, then we disagree, but that doesn't lessen my esteem for her.  

Now, if you can't appreciate that due to an inability to understand my posts, personal disdain for me, or whatever, there's only so much I can do about that.  But in any case, stop making up nonsense about me.

I don't regret not being a member of the Mor fan club.  Whatever others see in you, I don't see in you.

My personal view that I have no objection to depicting St Joseph either as an octogenarian or as a twenty-something young man is just that: a personal opinion which I force on no one.  You don't accept my personal view that St Joseph can be depicted as a younger man?  Good for you.  I hope your family treats you to a nice dinner to celebrate your remarkable accomplishment.

Ha ha ha.   ::)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #2408 on: January 09, 2015, 05:03:59 PM »

I've been forced to justify my personal views. 

By whom?  Me?  If so, where?

You're no better than me.

Finally you are making some sense.

I don't regret not being a member of the Mor fan club.  Whatever others see in you, I don't see in you.

No hard feelings.

Offline Schultz

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2409 on: January 09, 2015, 05:05:23 PM »

That's just one less person we'll have to feed at the annual picnic.  Thanks for letting us know you won't be in attendance.
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2410 on: January 09, 2015, 05:05:45 PM »
Sol, again, why are you so upset by this?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #2411 on: January 09, 2015, 05:11:31 PM »

That's just one less person we'll have to feed at the annual picnic.  Thanks for letting us know you won't be in attendance.

You mean to tell me there's an annual picnic and you guys haven't invited me yet?!

Offline Schultz

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2412 on: January 09, 2015, 05:12:54 PM »

You mean to tell me there's an annual picnic and you guys haven't invited me yet?!

So that's why you haven't been showing up?  I'm just the cook, man.  I had no idea that the invitation committee dropped the ball.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #2413 on: January 09, 2015, 05:16:36 PM »

It was a long time ago in the public fora.  Suffice to say that I've had to justify a personal view under threat of moderation.  I didn't make a big deal out of it then and I've compensated by not sharing my personal views in the public fora; however, you can share them with impunity and I can't remain silent any longer.

Quit patronizing me.

No hard feelings.

A fictional event.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2414 on: January 09, 2015, 05:16:52 PM »

I've been forced to justify my personal views.  You're no better than me.

If someone has a strong opinion about something, it seems reasonable that they would have a justification about that. If someone has no or little opinion about something, why expect justification about that?

I have a strong opinion and justification about why I feel Orthodoxy is true. I have very little opinion and no justification on whether acrylic or egg tempura paint should be used when painting the pantocrator icon in the dome.  Some people do, but I don't expect them to involve me and request that I give an empassioned speech on the merits of egg tempura.
God bless!

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2415 on: January 09, 2015, 05:17:42 PM »
My question keeps being ignored. Oh well. Can we get back to schlock? I found a really funny "icon" of Peter the Great the other day. I'm going to try to find it again.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2416 on: January 09, 2015, 05:17:58 PM »

Awkward...  

I saved you a hot dog. I stuck it in my back pocket, so it is a little squished, but you can have it if you want.  
God bless!

Offline Schultz

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2417 on: January 09, 2015, 05:18:42 PM »

It was a long time ago in the public fora.  Suffice to say that I've had to justify a personal view under threat of moderation.  I didn't make a big deal out of it then and I've compensated by not sharing my personal views in the public fora; however, you can share them with impunity and I can't remain silent any longer.

Quit patronizing me.

No hard feelings.

A fictional event.

Just because you're not invited doesn't make it any less real.  We have to keep the location secret and the invitation list very exclusive because we don't want any negative vibe merchants harshing our Mor mellow.  

Heck, the list is so exclusive even the guest of honor didn't know about it!

I've said too much in this thread now.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2418 on: January 09, 2015, 05:18:59 PM »
My question keeps being ignored. Oh well. Can we get back to schlock? I found a really funny "icon" of Peter the Great the other day. I'm going to try to find it again.
Its because you are a schlock forumer.
God bless!

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2419 on: January 09, 2015, 05:19:32 PM »

Pot calling the kettle black.

Schultz, you, me, and Tris all live in the same area. We really could have the MEBBQ (BYOB).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 05:20:20 PM by kelly »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2420 on: January 09, 2015, 05:20:23 PM »

At least I'm prolific at it.  ;D
God bless!

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #2421 on: January 09, 2015, 05:22:33 PM »
My question keeps being ignored.

I'm following Mor's example given his cult-like following on this forum; I don't have to justify myself to anyone.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #2422 on: January 09, 2015, 05:22:41 PM »

What the hell are you talking about?

Offline Schultz

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2423 on: January 09, 2015, 05:23:18 PM »

Schultz, you, me, and Tris all live in the same area. We really could have the MEBBQ (BYOB).

I think we can relax the rules and allow photos to be taken so we can prove its existence to SolEX01.  We should have a meeting at the picnic so we can come up with justifications for its existence, too, in case we're asked by him to do so.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2424 on: January 09, 2015, 05:23:54 PM »

Remember that thing you did back awhile ago?  Well you shouldn't have done it.  No, I won't tell you what it was.
God bless!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #2425 on: January 09, 2015, 05:24:05 PM »

I'm coming.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2426 on: January 09, 2015, 05:25:06 PM »

I'm coming.
I call Mor as my date. This is us after I bleach him.  I'm the one on the left.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 05:26:22 PM by TheTrisagion »
God bless!

Offline Schultz

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2427 on: January 09, 2015, 05:25:32 PM »

I'm coming.

See, now I know you have the invite, so if you're not there, we may have to discuss displacing you as our cult leader.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #2428 on: January 09, 2015, 05:28:34 PM »

By whom?  Me?  If so, where?

It was a long time ago in the public fora.  Suffice to say that I've had to justify a personal view under threat of moderation.  I didn't make a big deal out of it then and I've compensated by not sharing my personal views in the public fora; however, you can share them with impunity and I can't remain silent any longer.

Does it matter?  Whoever threatened me with moderation made their point.  There's no problem saying this in the public fora: I don't take stuff from anyone.

Having said that, I don't have to justify myself to anyone on this forum.

Edited to use a less inflammatory word, even though the original word has been quoted a couple of times.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 05:56:05 PM by SolEX01 »

Offline Schultz

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2429 on: January 09, 2015, 05:30:23 PM »

Does it matter?  Whoever threatened me with moderation made their point.  There's no problem saying this in the public fora: I don't take crap from anyone.

Having said that, I don't have to justify myself to anyone on this forum.

And this is precisely why you're not invited to the MorBQ