Author Topic: Schlock Icons  (Read 492144 times)

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: Schlock Icons
« Reply #2115 on: December 05, 2014, 04:08:18 PM »
Unfortunately Pennsylvania will never be like Holy Russia, for Pennsylvania lacks that "one thing needful" to be holy and wholly Orthodox:

There are only tears in holy Russia.

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #2116 on: December 05, 2014, 05:03:53 PM »
Unfortunately Pennsylvania will never be like Holy Russia, for Pennsylvania lacks that "one thing needful" to be holy and wholly Orthodox:

There are only tears in holy Russia.

You spend a Monday in Pittsburgh after the Steelers lose. Or a Tuesday after they lose to Cincinnati.

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #2117 on: December 05, 2014, 05:07:31 PM »

Merely identifying them as Hellenes is not wrong.  Think of St. Peter the Aleut or St. Moses the Ethiopian.  Is that nationalist crap?
That's because their nationality is something distinctive about them, isn't it? I wouldn't think a Greek monastery would need to specify that these are a bunch of Greek guys.

Not Thucydides.

You haven't read Anna Comnena or any other Byzantine historians, have you?
Excerpts. I love Thucydides, but the person I was responding to said that it was about those who had contributed to Orthodox theology.
Crap like 'there is neither Jew nor Greek'?
That's closer to antinationalism.

Excerpts. I love Thucydides, but the person I was responding to said that it was about those who had contributed to Orthodox theology.

It's time to just come out and say that, if someone was seminal of Greek thought, he was important, by a remove or two, to the Church. Suck it up. ;)
I'm not against Greek thought. I just don't take everything Holy St. Plato the Apostle said as Gospel like you do. ;)

I like how some people (whether Protestant or otherwise) like to come onto Orthodox websites to "teach us a lesson" on how we are wrong and that we shouldn't believe or practice as we do, and tell us how wrong we, or our holy men are, like they were some sort of armchair crusaders.

How mean am I allowed to be in this forum? Cause I have a blistering retort involving Volnutt and an armchair.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #2118 on: December 06, 2014, 06:41:13 AM »
How mean am I allowed to be in this forum? Cause I have a blistering retort involving Volnutt and an armchair.
Hey! That stain on the chair was there before I even sat down! >:(
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #2119 on: December 06, 2014, 01:54:50 PM »

Re: St. Alexis, I have seen an icon that calls him "St. Alexis of Wilkes-Barre."

Which is how it should be. Personal surnames should not be used in iconographic inscriptions. They are of this world, not of the next.

Wilkes-Barre is of the world to come and not of this passing world?

Toth was his surname in the world. Wilkes-Barre is simply a geographic description, just as a bishop is known by the name of his see.  :police:

I understand, but I don't see how "Wilkes-Barre" is any less "of this world" than "Toth". 
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2120 on: December 06, 2014, 02:10:49 PM »
How mean am I allowed to be in this forum? ...

You really haven't detected that threshold, after all your researches?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #2121 on: December 06, 2014, 03:23:28 PM »

Re: St. Alexis, I have seen an icon that calls him "St. Alexis of Wilkes-Barre."

Which is how it should be. Personal surnames should not be used in iconographic inscriptions. They are of this world, not of the next.

Wilkes-Barre is of the world to come and not of this passing world?

Toth was his surname in the world. Wilkes-Barre is simply a geographic description, just as a bishop is known by the name of his see.  :police:

I understand, but I don't see how "Wilkes-Barre" is any less "of this world" than "Toth". 

In the Old Testament at least, patronymics (e. g., X son of Y) are used quite often, far more so than geographical-based names (X of Z). Many modern surnames (e.g., those ending with "-son" or "-sen") were adapted from Viking names that originally followed a similar convention. In Iceland they still use that naming system.

To say that one naming convention is more "of this world" relative to another seems more like an attempt to theologize cultural differences than anything else. Some cultures traditionally identified people by who their fathers were, some used clan names (similarly to our modern surnames) and some identified them by where they were from.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #2122 on: December 07, 2014, 12:40:58 AM »
And I don't think we want to say that family relationships will disappear after the resurrection (be transcended and transformed, yes). I'm sure at the very least we'll still recognize one another.
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #2123 on: December 07, 2014, 12:51:14 AM »
And I don't think we want to say that family relationships will disappear after the resurrection (be transcended and transformed, yes). I'm sure at the very least we'll still recognize one another.

Indeed, especially when you consider that family relationships are quite clearly made in the image of the Trinity.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #2124 on: December 07, 2014, 02:02:37 AM »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #2125 on: December 07, 2014, 02:04:32 AM »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #2126 on: December 07, 2014, 02:06:53 AM »
Aesthetically criminal

Even when he's doing something approaching Orthodox content, the fact that Robert Lentz simply draws ugly faces will always be his downfall (I do like the fact that St. Mary Magdalene actually looks like a first century Jew, though).

I didn't know Gabor Csupo did religious art!

You know that "shudder" noise Lisa Simpson always makes. Yeah, that's me looking at this...

Two from the "Godde in All Her Guises" page on Pinterest:

Khokhmah: Wisdom, the power guiding creation In the Book of Proverbs, "She is a Tree of Life to all who lay hold of her." (3:18) She sings, "The one who finds me, finds Life." (8:35) And she builds a house of seven pillars. In the book of Ben Sirach (24:4) she declares, "My throne was in the pillar of cloud." In late antiquity she was venerated as the all-wise creatrix and genetrix Sophia.

I didn't know that Jesus was a middle aged soccer mom! You learn something new everyday!

"People let me tell ya bout ma beeeeeeeest friend!"

« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 02:07:50 AM by Volnutt »

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #2127 on: December 07, 2014, 02:13:05 AM »
(I do like the fact that St. Mary Magdalene actually looks like a first century Jew, though).

Looks more like his take on the iconic National Geographic photo of the Afghan Girl.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 02:13:17 AM by hecma925 »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
  • A non-Chalcedonian in Chalcedonian clothing.
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #2128 on: December 07, 2014, 02:25:23 AM »
You know that "shudder" noise Lisa Simpson always makes. Yeah, that's me looking at this...

Icon or not, I kind of like it.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #2129 on: December 07, 2014, 02:30:22 AM »
(I do like the fact that St. Mary Magdalene actually looks like a first century Jew, though).

Looks more like his take on the iconic National Geographic photo of the Afghan Girl.

A tiny bit.

Poor Sharbat Gula. I'm so damn pampered compared to people like this that it's shameful  :'(
She married her husband, Rahmat Gul, between the age of 13-16, and returned to her village in Afghanistan in the mid 1990s. Gula has three daughters. A fourth daughter died in infancy. She expressed hopes that her children will be able to get an education. A devout Muslim, Gula normally would wear a burka and was hesitant to meet with McCurry, as he was a male from outside the family. When asked if she had ever felt safe, she responded "No. But life under the Taliban was better. At least there was peace and order." Until the National Geographic team found her again, she had never seen the photo of herself as a child. When asked how she had survived, she responded that it was "the will of God".[7] Steve McCurry and Sharbat Gula keep in touch every month.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghan_Girl

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #2130 on: December 07, 2014, 02:34:57 AM »
Poor Sharbat Gula. I'm so damn pampered compared to people like this that it's shameful  :'(

That's not a difficult situation to fix.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #2131 on: December 07, 2014, 02:43:36 AM »

That's not a difficult situation to fix.
Not for me. But that would be a thread derail.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #2132 on: December 07, 2014, 02:49:40 AM »
This one is so very out of this world:

This one, on the other hand, is very in this world:

« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 02:50:56 AM by Minnesotan »

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2133 on: December 08, 2014, 05:15:58 PM »

It's a spiritual icon of Saint Josaphat embracing Christ.

:P
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #2134 on: December 10, 2014, 07:01:26 AM »
From the US shrine to Catholic hyper-Marianist, Fr. Maximilian Kolbe

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #2135 on: December 10, 2014, 07:04:36 AM »

This one, on the other hand, is very in this world:

By the hand of that most holy iconographer, St. Joan Osborne https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gx1Pv02w3Q
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 07:05:09 AM by Volnutt »

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #2136 on: December 10, 2014, 07:16:32 AM »
From the US shrine to Catholic hyper-Marianist, Fr. Maximilian Kolbe

If Maximilian Kolbe is the father of the Mother of God, then John Donne can be the father of Christ. Behold, the poet shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Emmanuel.

Oy.  :P ::) >:(

Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #2137 on: December 10, 2014, 07:36:27 AM »
Run! He's doing the forbidden move, The Kamehamejesus!

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #2138 on: December 10, 2014, 08:38:51 AM »

The people who get themselves all worked into a tizzy about artwork depicting Our Lord or the Theotokos as black should be equally incensed by this sort of equally ridiculous Swiss Miss depiction.  They won't though.  They'll be fine with it.  ;D
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #2139 on: December 10, 2014, 08:41:52 AM »

The people who get themselves all worked into a tizzy about artwork depicting Our Lord or the Theotokos as black should be equally incensed by this sort of equally ridiculous Swiss Miss depiction.  They won't though.  They'll be fine with it.  ;D

I'm not fine with it, I'll have you know.  :P ;)

Ugh. Cheese overdose ....
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 08:42:10 AM by LBK »
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #2140 on: December 10, 2014, 08:57:57 AM »

The people who get themselves all worked into a tizzy about artwork depicting Our Lord or the Theotokos as black should be equally incensed by this sort of equally ridiculous Swiss Miss depiction.  They won't though.  They'll be fine with it.  ;D
Srsly!

There's actually a Catholic tradition, not official, that God made the Theotokos blonde as a reward for her obedience.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 08:59:56 AM by Volnutt »

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2141 on: December 10, 2014, 09:50:52 AM »
Srsly!

There's actually a Catholic tradition, not official, that God made the Theotokos blonde as a reward for her obedience.

I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2142 on: December 10, 2014, 09:57:48 AM »
Srsly!

Blessed are the blondes, for they shall inherit the Kingdom of God.
God bless!

Offline Georgii

• Elder
  • Holy Martyr Afra, pray to God for us!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR, German episcopate
« Reply #2143 on: December 10, 2014, 10:45:17 AM »
[The only icon I have seen of Saint Alexander Schmorell (the 20th century anti-fascist) depicts him in a medical jacket wearing a shirt with button sleeves and a collar under it.

Yep, a Wehrmacht collar.

I have a particular fascination for people who were caught between Naziism and Bolshevism, and the different ways they responded to their trials.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 10:46:24 AM by Georgii »
my garment accuses me, for it is not a wedding garment

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2144 on: December 10, 2014, 11:01:22 AM »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2145 on: December 10, 2014, 12:39:31 PM »

Srsly!

I was Catholic for 37 years and I never heard that.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2146 on: December 10, 2014, 01:01:41 PM »

No, St. Joseph should only be looking at the Virgin and Child through a window, across the street, with a telescope.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Keble

• All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2147 on: December 10, 2014, 01:08:49 PM »

No, St. Joseph should only be looking at the Virgin and Child through a window, across the street, with a telescope.

Read those haloes again....

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #2148 on: December 10, 2014, 01:16:46 PM »

Ugh, Rachel, why?! 

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2149 on: December 10, 2014, 01:24:12 PM »

I'll escort myself out.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #2150 on: December 10, 2014, 01:29:47 PM »

I'll escort myself out.

LOL, you called Jesus a girl! 

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2151 on: December 10, 2014, 02:03:36 PM »

I'll escort myself out.

Pray for me.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #2152 on: December 10, 2014, 02:04:02 PM »

A common mistake when viewing Western art of Him.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2153 on: December 10, 2014, 02:12:36 PM »
Mor's said as much himself.  Where's that one thread where he says he hates feminine, Western looking Christs where if you cover the mouth (and beard) it looks like a drawing of St. Claire?

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2154 on: December 10, 2014, 02:14:08 PM »

I'll escort myself out.

Such is the heresy of the Genuine Kellenic Truest Orthodox Traditionalist Church of America.
God bless!

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #2155 on: December 10, 2014, 02:19:05 PM »
Such is the heresy of the Genuine Kellenic Truest Orthodox Traditionalist Church of America.

I love their Liturgy.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2156 on: December 10, 2014, 02:21:51 PM »

I love their Liturgy.
Word has it that they use Rachel Weisz as the model for adult Jesus in their iconography.  Spread it.
God bless!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #2157 on: December 10, 2014, 05:48:42 PM »

Pop-up book Jesus!

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #2158 on: December 10, 2014, 06:12:41 PM »

I love their Liturgy.

But the chant must be just 'this much' off pitch to truly catch the flavor of it... ;) ;)

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #2159 on: December 10, 2014, 07:00:27 PM »

I love their Liturgy.

But the chant must be just 'this much' off pitch to truly catch the flavor of it... ;) ;)

You sound like an Indian.  :)