OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 06:14:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Schlock Icons  (Read 75351 times) Average Rating: 0
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #1035 on: October 14, 2013, 06:01:30 PM »

Yes. That is the Ancient of Days. A non-canonical icon if I have ever seen one. Why do some iconostasi, especially the Russian Baroque and 19th c. style ones, have the triangular eye symbol?

This is how I have heard it:

"The Eye of Providence" (also known as the All-seeing Eye) is a symbol that exists in many cultures around the world. The oldest usage of the symbol appearently dates back to ancient Egypt. In Western iconography, an eye, enclosed by a triangle, have historically been used as a symbol of the Trinity. During the 18th and 19th century, the symbol, together with many other aspects of western art and iconography, was introduced to the Orthodox Church.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 06:02:16 PM by Ansgar » Logged

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1036 on: October 14, 2013, 06:10:13 PM »

Here's a fully-painted one, of Great-princes and Tsars, all painted as saints. Alexander II is in the top right corner, among the group wearing the cloven crowns:

Link to the full-sized image:

http://nashaepoharu.512.com1.ru:8164/WWW/_Mediafiles/ikons/v_1.jpg

These Russians are simply envious of the Serbs, Georgians, and English.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #1037 on: October 14, 2013, 06:14:06 PM »

Holy crap at the hitler one.
Athos was under Hitler's personal protection at one time.

Hitler allowed the Church to bloom in territories under him.

Russian ultramonarchists who venerate all the tsars as saints. Yup, such folks do exist, and I have several of their paintings on file.

And we have them on the forum.

Really? Weird. One would need to be pretty far removed from reality to venerate Ivan IV or Peter III. Alexander I could be a saint if it's demonstrated that he is actually St. Feodor Kuchma. (Not sure of St. Feodor's official vita or service makes mention of that. I would think the Russian Church would want to see the bones of Tsar Alexander I first, given its scruples over the Romanov relics.)

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Hawkeye
Onomatodoxicologist
High Elder

Faith: I don't mean to brag but...
Jurisdiction: I've been in an Antiochian church.

My grandfather's uncle, Boris Half-Ear

« Reply #1038 on: October 14, 2013, 06:49:17 PM »

Yes. That is the Ancient of Days. A non-canonical icon if I have ever seen one.

It's such a shame that it isn't canonical. Many of those I've seen have been most pleasant on the eyes, especially the one in the parish I knew as a child.

Holy crap at the hitler one.
Athos was under Hitler's personal protection at one time.

Hitler allowed the Church to bloom in territories under him.

Russian ultramonarchists who venerate all the tsars as saints. Yup, such folks do exist, and I have several of their paintings on file.

And we have them on the forum.

Really? Weird. One would need to be pretty far removed from reality to venerate Ivan IV or Peter III. Alexander I could be a saint if it's demonstrated that he is actually St. Feodor Kuchma. (Not sure of St. Feodor's official vita or service makes mention of that. I would think the Russian Church would want to see the bones of Tsar Alexander I first, given its scruples over the Romanov relics.)

Normally, I'm not one for conspiracy theories but the tale of a Tsar who faked his death to become a righteous pauper saint? That is not something I can just ignore.

Maybe I'm simply gullible and naive but the moment I heard about it, I became a true believer.

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #1039 on: October 14, 2013, 07:02:24 PM »

Well, I think Ancient of Days is OK (if I'm remembering my LBKology right) when depicted as Christ and not as the Father; it's the triangle halo that's improper in this one. So apart from the halo shape, I'd say it's fine because the icon has the "ho on" in the halo, thus this icon is depicting Christ as Ancient of Days - not the Father. I'm not sure though if Ancient of Days icons have to depict Christ in the typical blue over red clothing, so that may be another issue with it too.

In short it may be canonically deficient, but I'd imagine it's still venerate-able even by somewhat stricter standards.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 07:02:58 PM by Nephi » Logged
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1040 on: October 14, 2013, 10:20:10 PM »

Yes. That is the Ancient of Days. A non-canonical icon if I have ever seen one. Why do some iconostasi, especially the Russian Baroque and 19th c. style ones, have the triangular eye symbol?

"The Eye of Providence" (also known as the All-seeing Eye) is a symbol that exists in many cultures around the world. The oldest usage of the symbol appearently dates back to ancient Egypt. In Western iconography, an eye, enclosed by a triangle, have historically been used as a symbol of the Trinity. During the 18th and 19th century, the symbol, together with many other aspects of western art and iconography, was introduced to the Orthodox Church.

The eye in the triangle may have come into use in Orthodox lands, but it is unacceptable in iconographic terms.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1041 on: October 14, 2013, 10:23:27 PM »

The eye in the triangle may have come into use in Orthodox lands, but it is unacceptable in iconographic terms.

I've always been uncomfortable with it.  I try and comfort myself with the words "all-seeing eye" which come up in the priest's prayer at the bowing of heads at the end of the Orthros (and, of course, the accompanying prayer), but it is of little use.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #1042 on: October 14, 2013, 10:47:37 PM »

Well, I think Ancient of Days is OK (if I'm remembering my LBKology right) when depicted as Christ and not as the Father; it's the triangle halo that's improper in this one. So apart from the halo shape, I'd say it's fine because the icon has the "ho on" in the halo, thus this icon is depicting Christ as Ancient of Days - not the Father. I'm not sure though if Ancient of Days icons have to depict Christ in the typical blue over red clothing, so that may be another issue with it too.

In short it may be canonically deficient, but I'd imagine it's still venerate-able even by somewhat stricter standards.

You're almost right, Nephi. Christ can be depicted as the Ancient of Days, dressed in radiant garments, bearing the halo with the nine bars and the name of God, and with white hair and beard - but He should bear the inscription IC-XC, as is the case in the more commonplace icons of Him.

Here's an example:

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #1043 on: October 14, 2013, 10:55:35 PM »

You're almost right, Nephi. Christ can be depicted as the Ancient of Days, dressed in radiant garments, bearing the halo with the nine bars and the name of God, and with white hair and beard - but He should bear the inscription IC-XC, as is the case in the more commonplace icons of Him.

Here's an example:

That makes me wonder then, is IC-XC more important in an icon of Christ than the ho on?
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #1044 on: October 14, 2013, 10:56:50 PM »

.... and another:

The depiction of Christ is good, but the icon is spoiled by the inscriptions of the Evangelists' names next to the four heavenly creatures surrounding Him. While the creatures mystically represent the four Evangelists, naming them in this way is wrong. Sts Matthew, Mark, Luke and John were all human beings in essence. St Luke was not an ox, St John was not an eagle, etc.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1045 on: October 14, 2013, 10:59:02 PM »

.... and another:

The depiction of Christ is good, but the icon is spoiled by the inscriptions of the Evangelists' names next to the four heavenly creatures surrounding Him. While the creatures mystically represent the four Evangelists, naming them in this way is wrong. Sts Matthew, Mark, Luke and John were all human beings in essence. St Luke was not an ox, St John was not an eagle, etc.

Sorry, I didn't see the picture come out. I think I can tell what you mean, though.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #1046 on: October 14, 2013, 11:01:39 PM »

Here's an example:

That makes me wonder then, is IC-XC more important in an icon of Christ than the ho on?

The fresco I posted dates from the 12th century, when the halo was just as likely to feature jewels, as this one does. The three letters of the name of God began appearing in the halo at about this time, and quickly became the norm. It is not acceptable to omit the title IC-XC.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1047 on: October 14, 2013, 11:02:01 PM »

Here's an example:

If you're trying to distinguish between a proper icon of Christ and an inappropriate icon of the Father, then yes, it certainly is.  The Ο ΩΝ is technically descriptive of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, but IC XC is only descriptive of Christ.  You'll notice that in the icon in reply #1042 the Ο ΩΝ is missing, but it's obvious (9-bars of the halo cross) that the icon depicts a member of the Trinity; the IC XC solidifies that it is depicting the Son in the pre-incarnate form of the Ancient of Days of the revelation to Daniel.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #1048 on: October 14, 2013, 11:02:59 PM »

.... and another:

Sorry, I didn't see the picture come out. I think I can tell what you mean, though.

Try this link, biro.

http://pravicon.com/images/icons/13/13206.jpg

Which browser are you using? It shows up OK on Firefox.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1049 on: October 14, 2013, 11:04:47 PM »

I still can't see it. I was using Safari on my phone. Thanks, though.

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #1050 on: October 14, 2013, 11:16:32 PM »

I still can't see it. I was using Safari on my phone. Thanks, though.

Can you see it now? It's the same image, from another site:

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1051 on: October 14, 2013, 11:17:44 PM »

Aha! Now I see it. Thanks.

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #1052 on: October 14, 2013, 11:19:23 PM »

Aha! Now I see it. Thanks.

No problem.  Smiley
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #1053 on: October 16, 2013, 12:53:09 PM »

The icon that I was referring to had a triangular halo and no IC XC inscription. If this was a depiction of God the Father, it is uncanonical. Unfortunately, such depictions do exist in domes of churches done in 19th century style. However, they might hopefully be replaced.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1054 on: October 16, 2013, 12:58:52 PM »

Searching, then saw this one.  not sure if it was posted:

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1055 on: October 16, 2013, 01:01:42 PM »

The icon that I was referring to had a triangular halo and no IC XC inscription. If this was a depiction of God the Father, it is uncanonical. Unfortunately, such depictions do exist in domes of churches done in 19th century style. However, they might hopefully be replaced.

Not really. Monument laws etc. At least here.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #1056 on: October 16, 2013, 01:05:08 PM »

I have this in my icon corner:

I have no real intention of getting rid of it.  Sue me.  Tongue

But in searching for that, I found this:

Rather disturbing.  The Father has blue eyes, but the Son has brown.  Where did the Father get his recessive genes?    
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 01:06:17 PM by Mor Ephrem » Logged

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #1057 on: October 16, 2013, 01:06:26 PM »

Mor, I fear you have fallen to prelest.  Repent while there is still time.  Grin

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1058 on: October 16, 2013, 01:08:41 PM »

Mor, I fear you have fallen to prelest.  Repent while there is still time.  Grin

That ship sailed a long time ago, at least according to some.  Tongue

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #1059 on: October 16, 2013, 01:12:30 PM »

Is the Spirit a male, female or androgynous in that pic?

Also, why does the Father have His beard tucked into His cloak?

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1060 on: October 16, 2013, 01:14:45 PM »

Also, why does the Father have His beard tucked into His cloak?

It would be blasphemy to fully depict the true awesomeness of the beard.  There was a Council about it.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1061 on: October 16, 2013, 01:16:23 PM »

I'm pretty sure the Spirit is a woman's head budding from the back of a dove in flight (no doubt trying to escape). 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #1062 on: October 16, 2013, 01:18:17 PM »

All three. And more.

Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #1063 on: October 16, 2013, 02:01:36 PM »

But in searching for that, I found this:

Rather disturbing.  The Father has blue eyes, but the Son has brown.  Where did the Father get his recessive genes?    

Okay, the second picture, that woman/holy spirit/whatever it is/ reminds me of Alex Grey's "Sophia" which, if you paid attention in Gnosticism 101, she was supposedly the goddess of wisdom. I have heard some people try to say that the Holy Spirit and Sophia are in fact one (just so we are clear, I disagree with that), so maybe that's what the artist was shooting for?

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1064 on: October 16, 2013, 02:09:07 PM »

Where does the Father and the Son get their self-tanning?  It's ghastly.

monkvasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #1065 on: October 16, 2013, 02:11:12 PM »

Also, why does the Father bless with the Name of Jesus?

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Hawkeye
Onomatodoxicologist
High Elder

« Reply #1066 on: October 16, 2013, 04:43:11 PM »

And here I had thought that the Prosopon school had simply made it all up themselves. Glad to see that they're at least not that far gone.

Again, this is such a potentially attractive piece of imagery. Uncanonical and theologically deficient? Sure, but attractive nonetheless.

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #1067 on: October 16, 2013, 06:04:50 PM »

And here I had thought that the Prosopon school had simply made it all up themselves. Glad to see that they're at least not that far gone.

Again, this is such a potentially attractive piece of imagery. Uncanonical and theologically deficient? Sure, but attractive nonetheless.

Unfortunately, "attractive" does not trump "correct theology". Would you find a hymn or prayer tweaked to reflect an opinion or stance at odds with what the Church teaches acceptable, as long as it sounds good to the ears? Think about it.

And devotees of the Prosopon school aren't the only ones recycling the Paternity/Otechestvo image.  Tongue Tongue
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 06:06:48 PM by LBK » Logged
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1068 on: October 16, 2013, 06:07:50 PM »

This one's bad:

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #1069 on: October 16, 2013, 06:23:19 PM »

This one's bad:

Oh, yes, it's been in my schlock file for some time now.  Ghastly. Tongue laugh
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1070 on: October 16, 2013, 06:33:51 PM »

Our Lady of China, apparently:

Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #1071 on: October 16, 2013, 06:36:30 PM »

This one's bad:

Oh, yes, it's been in my schlock file for some time now.  Ghastly. Tongue laugh

It's not even a good bad icon  laugh

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #1072 on: October 16, 2013, 06:39:10 PM »

Our Lady of China, apparently:

This image was discussed at length in this thread:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,17565.0.html

Hawkeye
Onomatodoxicologist
High Elder

« Reply #1073 on: October 17, 2013, 05:28:37 AM »

Unfortunately, "attractive" does not trump "correct theology". Would you find a hymn or prayer tweaked to reflect an opinion or stance at odds with what the Church teaches acceptable, as long as it sounds good to the ears? Think about it.

No, no, certainly not. I don't support the production or propagation of any such images and neither do I consider them acceptable in the slightest. It's just that when I look at them as simple pieces of art, not that icons should ever be reduced to such, they're not necessarily aesthetically ugly.

Proper theology must always take precedence and what appeals to my fallen eyes need not matter in this regard.

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #1074 on: October 17, 2013, 05:39:42 AM »

No, no, certainly not. I don't support the production or propagation of any such images and neither do I consider them acceptable in the slightest. It's just that when I look at them as simple pieces of art, not that icons should ever be reduced to such, they're not necessarily aesthetically ugly.

Proper theology must always take precedence and what appeals to my fallen eyes need not matter in this regard.

Thank you for clarifying. I was getting a bit concerned .... Smiley
W.A.Mozart
Elder

Faith: Orthodox christian
Jurisdiction: Eschaton

Lazare, veni foras!

« Reply #1075 on: October 20, 2013, 04:36:30 PM »

completely new, especially not yet used
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #1076 on: October 20, 2013, 05:23:13 PM »

I'm pretty sure someone posted this one a few pages back.  Smiley
W.A.Mozart
Elder

Faith: Orthodox christian
Jurisdiction: Eschaton

Lazare, veni foras!

« Reply #1077 on: October 20, 2013, 06:02:48 PM »

well then... mea culpa  Roll Eyes

completely new, especially not yet used
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #1078 on: October 21, 2013, 06:20:48 AM »

Saint Michał

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #1079 on: October 21, 2013, 05:27:47 PM »

Tags: schlock Blasphemy icons mechagodzilla 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: