Author Topic: All religion paths on Earth lead to the Supreme Consciousness?  (Read 304 times)

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
All religion paths on Earth lead to the Supreme Consciousness?
« on: February 12, 2017, 11:28:51 PM »
What do you think?

Do all religion paths on Earth lead to the Supreme Consciousness? .... Thanks

Online xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: All religion paths on Earth lead to the Supreme Consciousness?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 02:20:06 AM »
Nope.
"Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached." (St. Manuel II Palaiologos)

"Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at all." (Fr. Seraphim Rose)

If you don't see a Nestorian behind every corner and every rock, you're probably a Nestorian too.

If you can't beat 'em, call them a Nestorian.

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Cafeteria CHRISTIAN Heretic
  • Jurisdiction: Here and now (well...sometimes...)
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 03:15:30 PM »
Well...that settles that, then, doesn't it? :)
"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Hoplitarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 03:42:45 PM »
Indeed...I also vote nope.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline HaydenTE

• High Elder
  • Always honest, occasionally correct.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Wandering
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 03:51:36 PM »
It is my firm belief that if one persues religious truth, without any having any other ulterior motive, consciously or unconsciously, they will invariably become a Christian, regardless of whatever other religious traditions they pass through to get there.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 03:52:35 PM by HaydenTE »
"For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" - Mark 8:36 (DRA)

O Holy God, have mercy on us! All ye holy ones in heaven, pray for us!

How playful he is, our sweet baby God!

"Better to salute icon like Boy Scout than to get lipstick on it." - Father Vasiliy

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 03:56:08 PM »
Generic Universalist Christian?

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 04:07:23 PM »
The OP makes this all sound so hippie. There are things in this trajectory that are extremely well thought out and worth consideration: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perennial_philosophy

Offline Lepanto

• Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 05:47:12 PM »
This reminds me of the Teilhard singularity:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Point

Offline HaydenTE

• High Elder
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 05:59:24 PM »
Generic Universalist Christian?

No, people can still be damned if they don't pursue truth for nothing but the truth. But if one pursues truth, they will always find Christ.
"For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" - Mark 8:36 (DRA)

"Better to salute icon like Boy Scout than to get lipstick on it." - Father Vasiliy

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 06:02:57 PM »
What do you think?

Do all religion paths on Earth lead to the Supreme Consciousness? .... Thanks

There are some paths that valorize greed, hatred, and delusion. They do not lead to the Supreme Consciousness.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Hoplitarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 06:14:22 PM »
I don't think that's the same thing.  There's a difference between pluralism and apocatastasis, which I think Teilhard is alluding to the latter, but in evolutionary terminology.  In other words, all humanity will "evolve" to be more like Christ's glorious humanity.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Cognomen

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Ungrateful Biped
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules OK
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 06:58:46 PM »
The OP makes this all sound so hippie. There are things in this trajectory that are extremely well thought out and worth consideration: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perennial_philosophy

Worth consideration for what purpose and by whom?
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline Svartzorn

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Greek A.Diocese of B. Aires & S. America
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 07:43:06 PM »
 I knew someone would raise a problem with perennialism.
All religions are true to some degree. Only orthodox christianity is entirely true.
Death to the world dodos.

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
  • Be good works the daily nourishment of your hearts
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 07:45:49 PM »
All religions are true to some degree. Only orthodox christianity is entirely true.
This is exactly what I was going to write in other words: "All religions point to the 'Supreme Consciousness' somehow, but only one was laid by the 'Supreme Consciousness' himself."
"Behold, the mystical sacrifice, fully accomplished, is ushered in. In fervent faith let us draw near, that we may become sharers in everlasting life. Alleluia."

Please pray for myself, my family and my friends.

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese). Last article: Fontes de fé da Igreja Ortodoxa

Online xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 08:41:29 PM »
This is exactly what I was going to write in other words: "All religions point to the 'Supreme Consciousness' somehow, but only one was laid by the 'Supreme Consciousness' himself."

I don't agree. Islam is not true whatsoever.
"Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached." (St. Manuel II Palaiologos)

"Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at all." (Fr. Seraphim Rose)

If you don't see a Nestorian behind every corner and every rock, you're probably a Nestorian too.

Offline HaydenTE

• High Elder
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2017, 08:52:43 PM »

So there isn't only one God?

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2017, 09:00:34 PM »

No it is not, Muhammad was a mere man that gained a cult following, he was not the Messiah. I'm surpise the love affair,  that some have with Islam, or Wicca, paganism, Hinduism, or Buddhism or Papism around here. Rotten fruit of the pan Heresy of Ecumenism.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 09:02:36 PM by seekeroftruth777 »

Online xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 09:02:46 PM »

There is one God, but Muhammad isn't worshiped alongside him, neither is Ali, Fatimah, or Hussain. Islam is right when they call Jesus the Word of God, and consider him and His Mother as sinless. Apart from that, it's just a very bad plagiarism. Very bad.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 09:06:00 PM by xOrthodox4Christx »

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2017, 09:07:31 PM »

There's only one God, who spoke to the faithful patriarchs and prophets of Israel, shuns idolatry and asks from his followers true faith, devoted prayer, fasting and charity. I'm not saying we should see Muslims as co-believers, but it's clear there are true things in Islam, dangerously mixed with damning lies.
"Behold, the mystical sacrifice, fully accomplished, is ushered in. In fervent faith let us draw near, that we may become sharers in everlasting life. Alleluia."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese). Last article: Fontes de fé da Igreja Ortodoxa

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Protokentarchos
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
    • Return to Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2017, 09:24:39 PM »

There's only one God, who spoke to the faithful patriarchs and prophets of Israel, shuns idolatry and asks from his followers true faith, devoted prayer, fasting and charity. I'm not saying we should see Muslims as co-believers, but it's clear there are true things in Islam, dangerously mixed with damning lies.

That's also a perfect description of Pentecostalism.  If Islam is "not true whatsoever", neither is Voodoo mixed with Christianity.
Worship is theology, so a church which brings Evangelical and Charismatic "praise & worship" into its corporate life is no longer Orthodox.  It is, by definition, heterodox.  Those "Orthodox" leaders who make theological arguments for the incorporation of heteropraxis into the life of the Church are heretics.

http://returntoorthodoxy.com/

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 09:26:25 PM »
That's also a perfect description of Pentecostalism.  If Islam is "not true whatsoever", neither is Voodoo mixed with Christianity.
Yes.

Offline HaydenTE

• High Elder
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 09:36:59 PM »

There is one God, but Muhammad isn't worshiped alongside him, neither is Ali, Fatimah, or Hussain. Islam is right when they call Jesus the Word of God, and consider him and His Mother as sinless. Apart from that, it's just a very bad plagiarism. Very bad.

So then there is some truth in Islam. Let's not throw out statements that sound nice in our heads but end up being illogical once thought through.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 09:37:28 PM by HaydenTE »

Online xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 09:37:22 PM »

I suppose any number of heretical Christian doctrines could be true then.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Protokentarchos
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
    • Return to Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2017, 09:49:15 PM »

I suppose any number of heretical Christian doctrines could be true then.

Not be true.  Contain some element of truth.  And not heretical doctrines, but heretical traditions.  Heretical doctrines are of course wrong.  Heretical traditions are wrong because they hold to heretical doctrines, but might also hold to some beliefs that are true.  See HaydenTE's most recent post.
Worship is theology, so a church which brings Evangelical and Charismatic "praise & worship" into its corporate life is no longer Orthodox.  It is, by definition, heterodox.  Those "Orthodox" leaders who make theological arguments for the incorporation of heteropraxis into the life of the Church are heretics.

http://returntoorthodoxy.com/

Offline Cognomen

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Ungrateful Biped
  • Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules OK
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2017, 10:21:02 PM »
I knew someone would raise a problem with perennialism.

It's an Orthodox Christian forum, after all.

Perennialism, with its history and interesting points, doesn't align that well with orthodoxy of any sort.
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2017, 10:27:22 PM »
On a side note, interesting how Tipler's idea gets on well with the doctrine of man as Mikrotheos and Mikrokosmos:

Frank Tipler generalizes Teilhard's term Omega Point to describe what he maintains is the ultimate fate of the universe required by the laws of physics: roughly, Tipler argues that quantum mechanics is inconsistent unless the future of every point in spacetime contains an intelligent observer to collapse the wavefunction, and that the only way for this to happen is if the Universe is closed (that is, it will collapse to a single point) and yet contains observers with a "God-like" ability to perform an unbounded series of observations in finite time.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• St. John from the Lindisfarne Gospels
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2017, 12:19:09 AM »
That sounds more like one possible way the last Antichrist will be able to appear to be Christ than the actual Second Coming.
Abbâ Anthony received a revelation in the desert, saying, “In such and such a city there is a man who resembleth thee; he is a physician, and he worketh and giveth whatsoever he earneth to the poor and needy, and each day he, with the angels, ascribeth holiness to God three times a day.”

May the Lord help me to become even a little bit like that guy.