OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 08:43:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Are You Mad At God  (Read 590 times) Average Rating: 0
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #45 on: Today at 07:16:03 PM »

What is a Gnostic Christian?

If you need to ask, you don't deserve to know. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #46 on: Today at 07:19:30 PM »

If you need to ask, you don't deserve need to know.  

FIFY
« Last Edit: Today at 07:20:06 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Greatest I am
Warned
Elder

Faith: Gnostic

« Reply #47 on: Today at 07:32:34 PM »

Because "forgiveness" makes no sense. There's no real difference between forgiving someone and letting them get away with whatever they did. Some of the stories of saints "forgiving" rapists and murderers seem like something a sociopath would demand or encourage, not a good God.

Are you not to love your enemy?

If so, seems that your God is a sociopath as he is letter Satan run around even after condemnation.

Justice delayed is justice denied.

Your statement is rather strange though. Have you never forgiven someone?
Was that the same as letting them get away with it?

Regards
DL

Have I ever forgiven anyone? I don't know. Christians do a bad job of defining forgiveness, which is disappointing given that their religion mentions it as a requirement of salvation so often.

Does it mean I have to invite the guy who killed my parents to the church fishing trip because he said "lol sorry," or does it mean that I shouldn't want to beat someone up over laughing at me? Does it forego punishment or not? Does it necessitate genuine remorse on the other person's part, or not? I've seen conflicting sources indicating all of the above.

You do not know. Wow.

It is a part of their salvation from what I hear, yes. Forgiven and judged by their own standards.

Yet you say it does not teach one. Strange church.

Why would you wait for someone else to set your standard?

You said their religion. What is yours if any?

Regards
DL

« Last Edit: Today at 07:34:32 PM by Greatest I am » Logged
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #48 on: Today at 07:36:41 PM »

FIFY

I know what I wrote, Maria, and I meant it as written. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Greatest I am
Warned
Elder

« Reply #49 on: Today at 07:46:50 PM »

I do not believe in the Christian God, I am a Gnostic Christian

What does that actually mean? Do you perhaps have a catechism or an exposition of your faith you can point me towards?

I see your distaste of God as presented in the Old Testament and various related issues but I'm finding that I don't quite know where you're coming from.

Because of our affinity to Jewish Kabbala, many think, as I do that we were the original Catholics as we are Universalists and catholic means universal. Today's Catholics are not Universalists and that indicates to me that they were the child religion that turned on the parent religion the moment Constantine bought them and pushed his theology into it.

Who came first does not really matter to me though. What maters to me is morals and Gnostic Christian morality is way superior to what Christianity stands for.

Gnostic Christians are just emerging now and to know our policies you would have to ask the individuals. There are likely as many flavors of Gnostics Christians as there are Christian sects and you guys are all over the place.

Gnostic Christians refused to lock up our free thinking to go to the literalism of just your four main gospels and that is why Catholics murdered us and burned our scripture.

Here is a general set of beliefs but asking is better.

http://www.thesongofgod.com/tgc/basic_beliefs.html

There are other sets of beliefs out there but some I deny completely. As I said, better to ask.

I push this set of the beliefs that Jesus taught.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbesfXXw&feature=player_embedded

Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Luke 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

I am brethren to Jesus. Consider doing the same.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
Warned
Elder

« Reply #50 on: Today at 07:51:49 PM »

FIFY

I know what I wrote, Maria, and I meant it as written. 

I do not agree with either of you. All deserve to know a Christian sect that makes the mainstream look sick with their discrimination against half the world that consists of women and gays.

They also need reminding of all the murders their literal reading has given the world and some foolish Christians are still doing it.

Regards
DL
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #51 on: Today at 07:51:59 PM »

So is Greatest I am a part of the Church which yeshuaisiam says is one of those persecuted-by-Constantine alternatives to Orthodoxy?

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Greatest I am
Warned
Elder

« Reply #52 on: Today at 07:53:50 PM »

So is Greatest I am a part of the Church which yeshuaisiam says is one of those persecuted-by-Constantine alternatives to Orthodoxy?

I am a Gnostic Christian and esoteric ecumenist.

Regards
DL
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #53 on: Today at 07:54:16 PM »

Please don't bring Yesh into this ....  Tongue
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #54 on: Today at 07:55:29 PM »

I am a Gnostic Christian and esoteric ecumenist.

Regards
DL

Know that I am praying for you that you may be saved.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
WPM
Archon

« Reply #55 on: Today at 07:57:12 PM »

What does that actually mean? Do you perhaps have a catechism or an exposition of your faith you can point me towards?

I see your distaste of God as presented in the Old Testament and various related issues but I'm finding that I don't quite know where you're coming from.

The Gnostic Christians believed in special knowledge and had a secret hierarchy from ancient times.
« Last Edit: Today at 07:57:34 PM by WPM » Logged
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #56 on: Today at 08:12:09 PM »

Why would you wait for someone else to set your standard?

I guess this is why I'm not one of them, anymore.

You said their religion. What is yours if any?

Regards
DL

I try to use religion for its useful purposes (ritual and community) without compromising my own ethical standards, which are higher than those of most religions.
« Last Edit: Today at 08:18:17 PM by William » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #57 on: Today at 08:14:33 PM »

Because "forgiveness" makes no sense. There's no real difference between forgiving someone and letting them get away with whatever they did. Some of the stories of saints "forgiving" rapists and murderers seem like something a sociopath would demand or encourage, not a good God.

We are all murderers, unless you never felt hatred towards anyone.

Leviticus 19:17

Love Your Neighbor
…16'You shall not go about as a slanderer among your people, and you are not to act against the life of your neighbor; I am the LORD. 17'You shall not hate your fellow countryman in your heart; you may surely reprove your neighbor, but shall not incur sin because of him. 18'You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the LORD.

Matthew 5:21

Anger and Reconciliation
21"You have heard that the ancients were told, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT MURDER ' and 'Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court.' 22"But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, 'You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.…

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #58 on: Today at 08:18:22 PM »

The Gnostic Christians believed in special knowledge and had a secret hierarchy from ancient times.

They have also incurred several anathemas:

According to Appendix II written by Father Seraphim Rose:

The foundation of the Gnostic systems is the idea of the creation of a higher religio-philosophical knowledge (gnosis) by uniting Greek philosophy and the philosophy of the learned Alexandrian Jew Philo with the Eastern religions, especially the religion of Zoroaster. In this way the  Gnostics worked out diverse systems which set forth an absolute resolution of all questions of existence. To the metaphysical constructions made on this foundation were added fantasy-like symbolical forms. Having become acquainted with Christianity and even having accepted Christianity, the Gnostics did not abandon their fantastic constructions, but strove to unite them with Christianity. Thus arose the numerous Gnostic heresies in the midst of Christianity.

Citation: Pomazansky, Father Michael, Orthodox Dogmatic Theology, 2nd Edition, trans. Hieromonk Seraphim Rose, St. Herman of Alaska, 1997, p. 376.
« Last Edit: Today at 08:19:38 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #59 on: Today at 08:26:13 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #60 on: Today at 08:28:33 PM »

Love Your Neighbor
…16'You shall not go about as a slanderer among your people, and you are not to act against the life of your neighbor; I am the LORD. 17'You shall not hate your fellow countryman in your heart; you may surely reprove your neighbor, but shall not incur sin because of him. 18'You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the LORD.

Anger and Reconciliation
21"You have heard that the ancients were told, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT MURDER ' and 'Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court.' 22"But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, 'You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.…

It takes great strength to hold onto a grudge. The weak may falter and forgive. It's like clinging to a rock in a storm. The waves of life - happiness, new experiences, the dulling of old wounds after long years passing, all of these may shake you from your way. But you must always cling to that rock, or you will lose yourself.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
kelly
UNSUBSCRIBED from the world
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #61 on: Today at 08:39:02 PM »

Love Your Neighbor

Anger and Reconciliation

It takes great strength to hold onto a grudge. The weak may falter and forgive. It's like clinging to a rock in a storm. The waves of life - happiness, new experiences, the dulling of old wounds after long years passing, all of these may shake you from your way. But you must always cling to that rock, or you will lose yourself.

God is weak then since he calls us to forgive as he forgives.

I heard that Mor Ephrem is addicted to cocaine. Pass it on.

Awed by the beauty of perceptivity
And the exceeding sassiness of your commentary
OC.net stood amazed and cried to thee
Oh most wise Kelly
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #62 on: Today at 08:39:56 PM »

Truth is that Greatest I am is not a real Gnostic. Real Gnosticism are these guys, the Mandaeans.

"Rationalists are admirable beings, rationalism is a hideous monster when it claims for itself omnipotence. Attribution of omnipotence to reason is as bad a piece of idolatry as is worship of stock and stone, believing it to be God." (Mahatma Gandhi)
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: