Author Topic: Why is Constantine a Saint?  (Read 628 times)

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
Re: Why is Constantine a Saint?
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2015, 04:36:32 AM »
I think you need to calm down before you're guilty of sacrilege of your own. I'm very curious what foundation you think you stand on to array yourself against millions of holy Christians, of Fathers and saints, of Holy Tradition, of two thousand years of worship and communion, in short, against the Church. But that would be another topic.

Ad Hominem (Also, "personal attack," "poisoning the well." The fallacy of attempting to refute an argument by attacking the opposition’s personal character or reputation, using a corrupted negative argument from ethos. E.g., "He's so evil that you can't believe anything he says."

Appeal to Tradition: The fallacy that a standpoint, situation or action is right, proper and correct simply because it has "always" been that way, because people have "always" thought that way, or because it continues to serve one particular group very well.. A corrupted argument from ethos (that of past generations).

Appeal to Popularity. Something isn't true because lots of people believe it.

Appeal to Tradition. Something isn't true because it is old or traditional.

But your definition of what it means to be equal to an apostle, is not a concept warranted by God or Holy Scripture. It is blasphemous to call a man "equal" to an apostle who did not even believe in Christianity and who allowed paganism to exist in an empire.

Again I ask, how do you know he wasn't really a Christian? What gives you the right to judge the heart of a man you've never even met?

Not sure why this gets so much play around here. In a word: actions.

Christ spoke rather plainly for which people will be judged, their actions. His words about the last judgement are pretty clear. And I am not sure how we would understand heart today was the same as during when Christ followers began to put together how they understood the Gospel.

Not speaking about any Saint named within the thread, but yeah if you aren't feeding the hungry, caring for the sick, and giving comfort to the imprisoned and the like, then the case is rather easily closed.

But who wants to do all that when there are people to mock on internet boards? Or to preach to the choir? Watch TV. Take pilgrimages. Or whatever else seems more important than loving your neighbor.

Keep your heart how you like, I just care about what you do. Or at least that what Jesus tells me in the most frightening part of scripture.
Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.

Online Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy Loves Company
  • Faith: Might become Orthodox
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2015, 04:55:29 AM »
And what you don't see is the person who in foolishness passes by the hungry and then comes to himself later, reproaches his soul and tries to make it right and prays for the person if he can't find them. God will judge, not you because you don't see every thought and action. Just make sure you're feeding the hungry.
Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words. -Goethe

I once heard a monk say, “The person of prayer does not need to go any further than his own heart to find the source of all violence in the world.” -Fr. Stephen Freeman

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2015, 05:06:27 AM »
And what you don't see is the person who in foolishness passes by the hungry and then comes to himself later, reproaches his soul and tries to make it right and prays for the person if he can't find them. God will judge, not you because you don't see every thought and action. Just make sure you're feeding the hungry.

Look at what Christ says. Sorry nothing about you walked past the hungry and felt bad later for doing nothing about it so asked me to do it for you . . .

But since that is what everyone does, cross tattoos or not, we all collectively let one another slide on it.

Online Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy Loves Company
  • Faith: Might become Orthodox
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2015, 05:13:03 AM »

Look at what Christ says. Sorry nothing about you walked past the hungry and felt bad later for doing nothing about it so asked me to do it for you . . .

But since that is what everyone does, cross tattoos or not, we all collectively let one another slide on it.

I didn't say "asked me to do it for you," I said tried to but was not able and then prayed. Have you really done absolutely everything you could possibly do to feed the hungry? If not get off your high horse and go sell your computer or something.

If we expect God to show mercy to us, then we'd better start showing it to one another. That's somewhere in the words of Jesus too, I think.
Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words. -Goethe

I once heard a monk say, “The person of prayer does not need to go any further than his own heart to find the source of all violence in the world.” -Fr. Stephen Freeman

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • Elder
  • The above icon is St. Athansius. I am in need of fellowship and prayers.
    • The Least of Pilgrims Liturgical Blog
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Chrismated, in a canonical jurisdiction
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2015, 06:45:39 AM »
Blessed are the merciful, for they shall be shown mercy.
William Inge KCVO, the Dean of St. Paul's in London from 1911-1934, when asked if he was a liturgiologist replied, “No. Nor do I collect postage stamps."

Please forgive any offense my posts cause; none is intended. Let us bless the Lord ar all times.

Offline nothing

« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2015, 12:36:40 PM »

I didn't say "asked me to do it for you," I said tried to but was not able and then prayed. Have you really done absolutely everything you could possibly do to feed the hungry? If not get off your high horse and go sell your computer or something.

If we expect God to show mercy to us, then we'd better start showing it to one another. That's somewhere in the words of Jesus too, I think.
When Jesus says for you to love your neighbor he's asking something of you that you can't will. What he is actually saying is that you need to be transformed into a new person. Only by that transformation into a loving person can you love your neighbors and also your enemies. This is what the gospel promises that by accepting God's love, that it will transform you, and by extension you can overcome the self. Without that, I guess you can boast all you want about feeding the hungry, sheltering the shelterless, clothing the naked, etc...but what does Paul say about such boasting? I think that is fundamental to Christianity.

"What is important is faith expressing itself in love." - Galations 5:6

All this talk about the last judgement, sin, etc. is simply that: talk.
erudition, eloquence, integrity and chimichangas suffice.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2015, 07:15:12 PM »
St. Constantine is a saint because of the power of the forgiveness of God.
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

--

If you wish to contact me, please use the information in my profile.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2015, 07:17:10 PM »
St. Constantine is a saint because of the power of the forgiveness of God.

A more true statement on the matter has not been spoken.

Well put biro.

Offline Incognito777

• Elder
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2015, 02:04:36 PM »
Another problem with the idea that Constantine could be a saint, is the fact he allowed the Arian heresy to exist in the empire. It was not until Theodosius that this heresy was officially forbidden to exist in the empire.

Offline Incognito777

• Elder
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2015, 02:06:07 PM »
"St. Constantine is a saint because of the power of the forgiveness of God."

That logic would mean we are all saints, as understood by the Orthodox Church. Such a notion dishonors the true Orthodox saints.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Erst Amish Appalachian
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith should; hope could; love would
    • Facebook page
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Catechumen
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2015, 02:07:02 PM »
Another problem with the idea that Constantine could be a saint, is the fact he allowed the Arian heresy to exist in the empire. It was not until Theodosius that this heresy was officially forbidden to exist in the empire.

No, no there are no problems with the idea that St. Constantine the Great could be a saint. And it's not just an idea: he is among the saints and approved by God.
In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus

Offline OrthoNoob

• OC.net guru
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2015, 05:40:22 PM »

What should he have done about it?
http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Protokentarchos
  • Not quite as cute as a kitten :(
  • Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2015, 05:43:35 PM »

What should he have done about it?

Well... he called the Council of Nicaea...
"If only a man desired it for a single day from morning till night, he would be able to come to the measure of God." (Abba Alonius)

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2015, 08:11:49 PM »
"St. Constantine is a saint because of the power of the forgiveness of God."

That logic would mean we are all saints, as understood by the Orthodox Church. Such a notion dishonors the true Orthodox saints.

Not much for St. John's Paschal homily?