OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 01:29:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Preachiness  (Read 438 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« on: August 16, 2014, 04:06:10 PM »

Hi all. Without getting into unimportant details, some things I listened to recently got me to thinking about the phenomenon of preachiness.

For consideration:
  • Is calling a talk preachy analogous to calling a song off-key?
  • Is there a sense of preachiness being "too much"? And if so, how do you distinguish saying "preachy" from saying "too religious"?
  • Is there a secret to understanding preachiness?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 04:40:59 PM »

I've heard non-believers tell me they don't like it when people preach "at" them or "start to get preachy with me"

It was said that Elder Joseph the Hesychast didn't talk about religious things to people who had no interest. For the most part I've been told that we should live a life pleasing to God, follow His commandments and there will be a noticeable change in you. When people see that change, they might ask you about your faith. Once they ask you, you can tell them and that might eliminate the "preachiness" feeling.

Just like anything people can shut down when you are talking to them about something they don't want to hear. Whatever the reason is that they don't want to hear it. For example, if a person is overweight they might not want to hear you talk about going on a diet, unless they ask you first. That's just the way it is, trust that the Holy Spirit will work within them and hope and pray those people will answer that call and use their freewill to follow Christ.

It's like when you are a kid and you have a toy that's really amazing and you want to tell every kid on the block about your cool awesome toy. We'll we have this Church and God that's really amazingand we want to tell everyone about it. The sad thing is, not everyone wants to hear about it. It's like what Francis of Assisi said, "Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words."

I've never had luck in openly telling people about the faith without them first asking me. When you live by the commandments, people will notice and they will want to know the who, what, where, why and when.

/endrant
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 04:44:19 PM by Peacemaker » Logged

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 05:34:12 PM »

I've always associated the idea of preachiness with unnecessary moralism, which can come from any ideological camp.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 05:34:34 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Georgii

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 05:50:53 PM »

Preachiness and avoiding preachiness is not only a function of the message, but also of the medium and presentation.

Our Lord spoke in parables, for example.

Vivid language, physical props ("Bring me a denarius and let me look at it") and other rhetorical techniques can make message more digestible, or at least more memorable.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 05:53:05 PM by Georgii » Logged

my garment accuses me, for it is not a wedding garment
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 09:09:34 PM »

I've always associated the idea of preachiness with unnecessary moralism, which can come from any ideological camp.

Good point. Which brings up another question I should add to the list,
  • Is it right that "preachiness" is mainly associated (both in practice and etymologically) with religion?

(although that does conflict a bit with
  • Is there a sense of preachiness being "too much"? And if so, how do you distinguish saying "preachy" from saying "too religious"?
)

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 09:11:37 PM »

Questions aside here's a personal observation: many things that I find preachy today, I would not have found preachy two decades ago.

DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 11:03:59 PM »

Preachiness can also be associated with

vegetarians
vegans
environmentalists
gun owners

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 11:28:48 PM »

St. Francis of Assisi said it best, " "Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words."  Wink
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 12:10:28 AM »

St. Francis of Assisi said it best, " "Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words."  Wink

Awesome quote.  Smiley

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 02:45:44 AM »

Awesome quote.  Smiley

I said that quote in my post, *points*   Roll Eyes

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 08:16:49 AM »

Awesome quote.  Smiley

I said that quote in my post, *points*   Roll Eyes

I had the opposite reaction: I can't believe that it has only been quoted twice in the first ten posts.  Shocked

Grin

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 06:29:30 PM »

Preachiness can also be associated with

vegetarians
vegans
environmentalists
gun owners

You forgot msnbc.

If msnbc's views were classified as a religion, they would be more "religious" than EWTN or Al Jazeera.

(OK OK, I don't know about Al Jazeera.)

Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 07:57:40 PM »

I consider preachiness as involving the imperative.  It is "I am right and you are wrong" + "Here is what I am telling you that you should do."
Alxandra

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 08:39:33 PM »

I enjoy people who preach about Orthodoxy, especially if they are wise elders. I don't think you can preach too much, I don't really understand when people tell someone to "stop preaching". It's usually from care that they are speaking and giving advice.

Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός, Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός, Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος, ἐλέησον ἡμας
Godspell
Arch-layman

Faith: (Sorta) Protestant Christian
Jurisdiction: Methodist

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 12:32:47 AM »

Hi all. Without getting into unimportant details, some things I listened to recently got me to thinking about the phenomenon of preachiness.

For consideration:
  • Is calling a talk preachy analogous to calling a song off-key?
  • Is there a secret to understanding preachiness?

In my estimation preachiness can occur when there is either condemnation involved or when there is hypocrisy. It has been on very rare occasion that I have been persuaded by anyone to adopt certain aspects of faith based on clever arguments. I have, however, been drawn to them by kind hearts and loving acts.

Why do you think Mormonism is one of the fastest growing religions? People look at Mormons and they look at evangelicals, and they say, the evangelicals are the crazy ones, and then they go put on their special underwear.

To answer your questions, though treating it like a scientific term with an exact meaning, I would say yes to all three. It is possible to misrepresent your own faith, or to spread it in a less than effective or even a negative way.

Just as the thought of fire does not warm the body, so faith without love does not actualize the light of spiritual knowledge in the soul.

Just as the light of the sun attracts a healthy eye, so through love knowledge of God naturally draws to itself the pure intellect.

– St Maximos
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: