OrthodoxChristianity.net
January 25, 2015, 12:10:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you make sense of the Old Testament  (Read 162 times) Average Rating: 0
Dan-Romania
Warned
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« on: January 20, 2015, 03:52:29 PM »

What does the Old Testament represent to you? Does it represent anything for your religious life? How do you make sense of it in your religious life? How do you take it? Do you believe in it? Do you believe the Old Testament is inerrant? How do you work the Old Testament through in your faith?

How do you take stories like the first couple, the destruction of Sodome and Ghomorrah, The Flood of Noah, the choosing of Jacob over Edom, the macabre petition of God for Abraham to sacrifice his Son, the Exodus, the Conquest of Canaan, all the Israelite wars, the partiality of God in the Old Testament when it refers to the Jews,  and all the rest of the poring of blood, divine wrath, vindication and so on?

How do you work the Old Testament through in your faith?

This user no longer posts here.
Indocern

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: by God

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 04:33:46 PM »

What does the Old Testament represent to you? Does it represent anything for your religious life? How do you make sense of it in your religious life? How do you take it? Do you believe in it? Do you believe the Old Testament is inerrant? How do you work the Old Testament through in your faith?

How do you take stories like the first couple, the destruction of Sodome and Ghomorrah, The Flood of Noah, the choosing of Jacob over Edom, the macabre petition of God for Abraham to sacrifice his Son, the Exodus, the Conquest of Canaan, all the Israelite wars, the partiality of God in the Old Testament when it refers to the Jews,  and all the rest of the poring of blood, divine wrath, vindication and so on?

Its the same like New Testament.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 06:37:06 PM »

The Orthodox position is nicely described in The Christian Old Testament: Looking at the Hebrew Scriptures through Christian Eyes by Fr. Lawrence Farley. Give it a shot.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 06:57:20 PM »

Our Greek Orthodox priest has described the Old testament as showing us all why we are sinners who are in need of our Savior Jesus Christ. and that is why we focus on the New Testament.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 08:29:11 PM »

Does it represent anything for your religious life? How do you make sense of it in your religious life? How do you take it? Do you believe in it? Do you believe the Old Testament is inerrant?

I pray the Psalms sometimes.  I find it helpful spiritually.
The ancient texts are not scientifically inerrant. The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah has a basis in fact and archaeology. God's partiality results from the fact that Israelites recognized Him when other nations didn't or those nations had mistaken views.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 11:40:23 PM »

I see it as the foundation of the Christian faith.    The first covenant which led the 2nd.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 03:14:06 PM »

I see it as the foundation of the Christian faith.    The first covenant which led the 2nd.
Absolutely! My priest is fond of saying "we look at the Old Testament through the prism of Christ (or the Cross)." I do not know if Father Thomas is quoting somebody, but it seems to be about the only way we can approach the Old Testament. Father Lawrence Farley's book that I recommended earlier on this thread is also based on that principle.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 03:14:19 PM by Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: