Author Topic: Objectively discerning the truth  (Read 240 times)

Offline 786SalamKhan

• Faith: Attracted to Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: Considering the Catholic Church
Objectively discerning the truth
« on: December 14, 2016, 04:41:32 PM »
Hi,

Mystics for example, of various religious traditions, would claim certainty based on spiritual experiences they have personally had. Of course, if you dismiss this as impossible or unreliable in objectively discerning/gauging the truth, they could accuse you of relying instead on your own personal experience/worldview, which is very subjective.

How do you objectively discern/gauge the truth, especially when it comes down to attaining certainty through mysticism?

Thanks in advance and God bless.

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Searching for the mystery of faith.
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: Objectively discerning the truth
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 07:00:40 PM »
Well, the truth cannot be a walking contradiction.
"Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached." (St. Manuel II Palaiologos)

"Do not be ashamed to enter again into the Church. Be ashamed when you sin. Do not be ashamed when you repent." (St. John Chrysostom)

"Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at all." (Fr. Seraphim Rose)

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
    • Shameless Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Orthodox and Postpositivist
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 10:39:15 AM »
Hi,

Mystics for example, of various religious traditions, would claim certainty based on spiritual experiences they have personally had. Of course, if you dismiss this as impossible or unreliable in objectively discerning/gauging the truth, they could accuse you of relying instead on your own personal experience/worldview, which is very subjective.

How do you objectively discern/gauge the truth, especially when it comes down to attaining certainty through mysticism?

You talking empirical truth or spiritual truth?
"What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion." - Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII

“Fools have a habit of believing that everything written by a famous author is admirable. For my part I read only to please myself and like only what suits my taste.” - Lord Pococurante in Candide by Voltaire

Check out my new blog: Shameless Orthodoxy Latest Post:  Latin Divorce & Remarriage: A Forgotten History

Offline 786SalamKhan

• Faith: Attracted to Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: Considering the Catholic Church
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 01:18:15 PM »
Hi,

The latter.

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
    • Shameless Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Orthodox and Postpositivist
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 11:48:56 AM »
Hi,

The latter.

The only way for someone to discern that is through faith, reason, and intellect, as Galileo Galilei once said. We were given these gifts by God to use. It sounds circular, yes, but that's the best we got.
"What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion." - Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII

“Fools have a habit of believing that everything written by a famous author is admirable. For my part I read only to please myself and like only what suits my taste.” - Lord Pococurante in Candide by Voltaire

Check out my new blog: Shameless Orthodoxy Latest Post:  Latin Divorce & Remarriage: A Forgotten History

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 02:55:04 PM »
There is no such thing as objectivism.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 03:06:02 PM »
[...]
[...]

Don't know if it insures truth, but it's certainly helpful to have a spiritual community or mentor to test one's 'leadings' with before acting on them. The method isn't foolproof, but it has probably saved a lot of people who think they've clearly heard the voice of God speaking to them personally from disastrous actions.