Author Topic: "But wisdom is justified of all her children." (Luke 7:35, KJV)  (Read 132 times)

Offline mcarmichael

• Elder
  • HUGE Neil Diamond fan.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: idk.
"But wisdom is justified of all her children." (Luke 7:35, KJV)
« on: September 20, 2016, 03:05:40 PM »
Discuss.

How is "Patristic teaching" justified, but by "her" children? Therefore, who are her children? Something like that. Go!

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: "But wisdom is justified of all her children." (Luke 7:35, KJV)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 08:20:24 PM »
It is from out of all her offspring that Sophia is shown to be just and righteous, is how I parse the Greek. On its face, it would seem to mean that Wisdom can be detected as the right wisdom by the actions of those who claim and follow her. However, in the context the explanation seems more difficult.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline mcarmichael

• Elder
  • HUGE Neil Diamond fan.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 09:57:07 PM »
It is from out of all her offspring that Sophia is shown to be just and righteous, is how I parse the Greek. On its face, it would seem to mean that Wisdom can be detected as the right wisdom by the actions of those who claim and follow her. However, in the context the explanation seems more difficult.

I forget what I meant to say here.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 09:59:44 PM by mcarmichael »

Offline mcarmichael

• Elder
  • HUGE Neil Diamond fan.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 10:29:54 PM »

I think it's a metaphor, dude. (and I say that with no disrespect. because I say so.)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 10:35:02 PM by mcarmichael »

Offline mcarmichael

• Elder
  • HUGE Neil Diamond fan.
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 10:46:12 PM »
How does it apply to Orthodoxy? It's a funny question because perhaps only time will tell.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• ʿalayhi al-salām
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Abp Yeznik Petrosian Defender of the Faith
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 10:54:14 PM »
How does it apply to Orthodoxy? It's a funny question because perhaps only time will tell.

Do you actually want an answer, or are you just looking for an opportunity to "I think it's a metaphor, dude" people? 
Quote from: Fr Alexander Schmemann
The Gospel is quite clear: both saints and sinners love God. "Religious" people do not love him, and whenever they can, they crucify him.

Of course, OC.net is not reflective of the Church, but is rather a surreal bubble. I have visited a lot of different parishes around the world and have listened to many hours of AFR...

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 11:01:54 PM »
Upon further thought, I think the "all," 'pantwn,' draws attention. It and the context perhaps shift the emphasis something like this: "Wisdom is shown to be equitable from all the kinds ('pantwn') of her children." But I am afraid of forcing a meaning.

It sounds as tho you have your own idea? I'd like to hear it.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline mcarmichael

• Elder
  • HUGE Neil Diamond fan.
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 11:03:05 PM »

Do you actually want an answer, or are you just looking for an opportunity to "I think it's a metaphor, dude" people?

I'm always working, mang.

Offline mcarmichael

• Elder
  • HUGE Neil Diamond fan.
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 02:10:00 PM »
I don't know is it just straight naturalism? like "by all of her fruit"?