OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 10:44:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does God punish people?  (Read 222 times) Average Rating: 0
Skydive
Elder

« on: April 20, 2014, 04:41:12 PM »

well?

"I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men."

Robert Green Ingersoll
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Russians. Even when holding a cat they're dour.

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 05:24:50 PM »

The bibles say yes...
WPM
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 05:36:11 PM »

I don't know. 
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: Netodox
Jurisdiction: OC.net

Work hard, pray hard.

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 07:47:10 PM »

The problem with modern/online Orthodoxy is that there are people who will seriously consider this an open question.

I wish you'd all just shut up. Then at least you would appear to be wise. - Job 13:5 ISV
Joha

Faith: Orthodox Christian.
Jurisdiction: Coptic or Armenian?

I am saved because of His mercy! Κύριε, ἐλέησον

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 04:29:13 AM »

my thoughts are in fact just thoughts not facts persee.

Long answer:

I think the following:

A. You can either follow Christ, or the satan. Since Christ's crucifixion and the hours leading towards the crucifixion redeems us we can be set free of satans claim in any way. Following Christ makes that possible, not following Christ... well that puts us "under" satans rule. Not a punishment of God direct but a consequence of our choice.

He gave us free will didn't he?

B. God uses everything in his disposal (which is everything there is) to shape us and steer us in the direction He knows is good.
For example: When I would become sick and end up in hospital I could tell the nurse about what Christ did for all of us, or even my being there could be used by God.
Like my grandmother used to say: "It's all in the hands of the Grand Director, follow his lead and it will come out perfect"
Why I love this quote is because her life was, when seen from human perspective, far from perfect, she lost so much and yet she accepted God to place her in the most difficult situations so she could do in that situation whatever God expected from her.

Does God punish His people? I don't know, punishment seems pointless without a goal. Learning a person something would be a great goal, and is, I think, the main difference between the cruel God some people imagine and the God that loves his bride.

Does God punish people that refuse to follow Him? Well, not following Him has great consequence. Now but even more after our life on this earth.

Again and again I come to the point where I have to say: Just trust our Almighty God, His way is perfect. How he does things is IMHO up to Him. In any case when something is done or allowed by God, it is perfect.

Sort answer:

I couldn't care less, trust God, because His plan is more than perfect.

Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"
Psalm 57:2 "I will cry out to God Most High, To God who performs all things for me."
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Russians. Even when holding a cat they're dour.

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 05:30:42 AM »

Here are some common understandings of punishment (given in definitions found online) that might be relevant...

- to deal with roughly or harshly
- a penalty or sanction given for any crime or offence
- any aversive stimulus administered to an organism as part of training
Anna.T
Not yet a Catechumen ... but hopefully soon

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America - Atlanta

Lord have mercy! Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 10:39:43 AM »

subscribing - because I don't know where this is going?

No other comment.

Christ is Risen! Χριστός ἀνέστη!
Truly He is Risen! Ἀληθῶς ἀνέστη!

My replies should not be taken as representing Orthodox teaching - I am only just learning myself.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me, a sinner.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 11:07:10 AM »

Well, the more humane and spiritual way of putting it would be that God allows the principle of cause and effect in order for people to learn themselves the consequences of their actions. But to say that God actually passionately punishes is not something worthy of God, especially in the 21st century.

DeniseDenise
OC.net guru

Faith: Now with added Catechumenness!
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 11:09:56 AM »

Well, the more humane and spiritual way of putting it would be that God allows the principle of cause and effect in order for people to learn themselves the consequences of their actions. But to say that God actually passionately punishes is not something worthy of God, especially in the 21st century.

This.

Because surely i would have been struck by lightning at least 10 times if God did punish people....... laugh

Here's hoping my defense at the dread judgement seat of Christ doesn't turn out to be 'well I argued about what day it was.....a lot'
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
OC.net guru

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 11:26:18 AM »

This.

Because surely i would have been struck by lightning at least 10 times if God did punish people....... laugh
Come now. Surely you have not done evil in the sight of the Lord to the tune of old Israel's transgressions. It took some real aggregate sinning to get the Assyrians sicced on you, much less individual lightning strikes.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
Skydive
Elder

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 11:54:27 AM »

This.

I guess you never had that feeling?

"I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men."

Robert Green Ingersoll
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 11:57:33 AM »

Yes.

"...you are the orphan, not the protagonist."

-St. Seraphim of Vyritsa, 'This was from me'
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
OC.net guru

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 11:59:47 AM »

This.

Come now. Surely you have not done evil in the sight of the Lord to the tune of old Israel's transgressions. It took some real aggregate sinning to get the Assyrians sicced on you, much less individual lightning strikes.

Of course...

And upon a set day Herod, arrayed in royal apparel, sat upon his throne, and made an oration unto them. And the people gave a shout, saying, It is the voice of a god, and not of a man. And immediately the angel of the Lord smote him, because he gave not God the glory: and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 12:10:10 PM »

Yes.

+1

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Skydive
Elder

« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 12:20:20 PM »

+1 for the avatar

Robert Green Ingersoll
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 12:26:25 PM »

Yes and No

God does punish people..However, all things are a gift from God and for our benefit or the benefit of others, not because he cant control himself and flips out.

God is like a wise judge, not an angry scold.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:26:48 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

\"Why were so many Civil War battles fought in National Parks? \"
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: