OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 11:07:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Choose the questions you'd want the panel to answer (you may choose up to all ten)
Does the Assembly’s vision of Orthodox Unity in America include ecclesiastical autocephaly or an alternative vision of unity such as the possibility of all jurisdictions uniting under a single mother Church?
Does the canonical planning of the Assembly include establishing a diocese for the majority of member bishops? In the future, will bishops of one ethnicity govern parishes of a different ethnicity?
What challenges do the changing marriage laws of the United States present to the Church in America?
For the purposes of understanding a variety of contemporary human life issues: When do human rights/human personhood begin?
In areas where parishes are extremely close geographically and efforts are often duplicated, does the work of the assembly include merging parishes much like the case of the Holy Trinity and Holy Resurrection parishes in Tennessee?
What will the role of the laity be in the Great Council of 2016? Will women be able to participate in the Great Council as members of a church delegation?
Does holding the Great Council of 2016 in Turkey with its poor history of religious freedom limit the ability of all Orthodox bishops to freely conduct the work of the Council without impediment or interference?
How does the ongoing persecution and martyrdom of Christians in ancient Orthodox lands impact the mission of the Church in America?
What is the future of youth and campus ministry? What can be done to reach more youth who have fallen away from the Church?
In countries such as Greece, Orthodoxy is the official religion of the state. What is the role of Orthodox Christianity in shaping the public life of the United States of America, which does not have a large Orthodox Christian population?

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OCN recommends questions for the bishops: Here, you decide  (Read 125 times) Average Rating: 0
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

And primitivist Platonist patrologist poseur

« on: August 30, 2014, 10:03:48 PM »

Orthodox Christian Network correspondent Andrew Estocin has ten questions he thinks Orthodox faithful should be asking the panel of bishops in Dallas next month. I've built a little different poll out of them, more for fun than research.

The original article is linked below.

http://myocn.net/ten-questions-assembly-bishops

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
WPM
Archon

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 10:18:11 PM »

I think the shape of Orthodoxy in America is different.

In America, there are a plethora of denominations and baptist ... Somewhat different the the structure of the Orthodox Church overseas , .. Europe for example.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 10:26:37 PM »

I like Maria's polls a lot better.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 10:28:47 PM »

I voted for:

What is the future of youth and campus ministry? What can be done to reach more youth who have fallen away from the Church?

Though I think it should be about just people in general ("...statistics disclose over 60% of Greek Orthodox families of the last generation and 90% of Americans with Greek roots are no longer in communion with the Church" and so on...).

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

Question: Why did John get sick?
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 10:37:44 PM »

I need to go.  It's "down" the road from me. Smiley  Seriously.  I have a few questions for them.  (Not like questions here).

Dallas is a very awkward place for them to meet.  Texas is a no-mans-land for EO really.  It's very southern baptist.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 06:25:04 PM »

I like Maria's polls a lot better.

New poll: Whose polls do you like better?

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 06:29:04 PM »

For myself, I found the questions pretty off the wall. Before the end of the list, I was cringing. However, I don't put much weight in my own reactions, seeing how little I know and how eccentric I can be. The responses to the poll so far are interesting.

kelly
Dissipation Nation
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 06:34:09 PM »

For myself, I found the questions pretty off the wall. Before the end of the list, I was cringing. However, I don't put much weight in my own reactions, seeing how little I know and how eccentric I can be. The responses to the poll so far are interesting.

Eh, I voted for this question because it's certainly one that I've had:

Does the Assembly’s vision of Orthodox Unity in America include ecclesiastical autocephaly or an alternative vision of unity such as the possibility of all jurisdictions uniting under a single mother Church?

Tone 3

Awed by the beauty of perceptivity
And the exceeding sassiness of your commentary
OC.net stood amazed and cried to thee
Oh most wise Kelly,
Hail, thou, oh full of good taste
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 06:42:10 PM »

It's that it assumes a more important question that makes it off-putting to me -- what I mean is, it's a little too sly.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: