OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 03:35:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Coptic Pope Chosen: Anba Tawadros  (Read 8329 times) Average Rating: 0
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« on: November 04, 2012, 05:44:50 AM »

Anba Tawadros has been chosen as the 118th Pope of the Coptic Orthodox Church.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/57107/Egypt/Politics-/BREAKING-Bishop-Tawadros-chosen-as-Egypts-th-Copti.aspx

Alf mabrook to all. God be with us.

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 05:47:36 AM »

Axios!

Glory be to God for all things!

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
qawe

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 05:50:46 AM »

The way Met. Bakhomious guided the boy's hand to a certain ball made it look a bit rigged.
And I'm sure that Anba Tawadros was Met. Bakhomious' preferred candidate, since he is his disciple.
Conspiracy?!!!
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 05:54:49 AM »

I thought maybe we  could go 10 minutes without this kind of talk. How silly of me. Undecided

qawe

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 05:56:03 AM »

I thought maybe we  could go 10 minutes without this kind of talk. How silly of me. Undecided

Didn't it look a bit suss to you?
DavidI

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 05:58:49 AM »

Considering the three balls were indistinguishable from each other and were shuffled, not to mention the kid was obviously very anxious so he chose the first one he touched, no, not at all.

Axios Axios Axios!

"A dog is better than I am, for he has love and he does not judge." - Abba Xanthios
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 06:00:50 AM »

I am not inclined to see conspiracies in such things. I was neither the boy nor HE Bahkomious, so I trust that the Lord's hand is stronger than any of us.

qawe

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 06:02:09 AM »

Considering the three balls were indistinguishable from each other and were shuffled, not to mention the kid was obviously very anxious so he chose the first one he touched, no, not at all.

Axios Axios Axios!

The balls could potentially have been distinguishable based on the position of the seal of the Acting Patriarch on the white stickers.
Although I agree that it probably wasn't rigged.
qawe

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 06:22:03 AM »

Does anyone have a video of the setting up of the altar lot, and the altar lot itself?
Suryoyutho

Jurisdiction: Suryoyo (Syriac)

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 06:40:04 AM »

His Holiness 60th birthday today as well? Who was the first Pope named Tawadros?

The Tur Abdin Timeline - A timeline of Tur Abdin (Syriac for "the Mountain of the Servants [of God]"), the heartland of the Syriac Orthodox Christians, a hilly region located in upper Mesopotamia, between the Tigris and Euphrates.
qawe

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 06:41:10 AM »

I've just watched the altar lot again from CTV and the time when CTV changes cameras makes it look as if it was rigged, but in reality, it is not at all clear from the video whether the boy's hand was guided to a certain ball or not.

I would appreciate it if someone had a video of the lot according to Aghapy TV's cameras to confirm this.
DavidI

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 06:47:47 AM »

His Holiness 60th birthday today as well? Who was the first Pope named Tawadros?

Wiki gives me no other info but that the 45th patriarch, Pope Theodosius II was also referred to as Pope Theodoros I which translates to Tawadros.

"A dog is better than I am, for he has love and he does not judge." - Abba Xanthios
MichaelArchangelos

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 07:46:57 AM »

http://www.news.com.au/world/new-coptic-pope-chosen-in-elaborate-ceremony/story-fndir2ev-1226510208292

Bishop Tawadros, 59, an aide to the acting pope, was selected to become Pope Tawadros II, replacing the charismatic Pope Shenouda III who died earlier this year after 40 years at the helm of the church.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 09:04:40 AM »

Glory to God!  angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 10:48:33 AM »

Al majdulilah!

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 11:09:26 AM »

Axios!!!!  Grin

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 12:22:25 PM »

So in Alexandria there are now two popes named Theodore II. Not confusing at all.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 12:29:25 PM »

So in Alexandria there are now two popes named Theodore II. Not confusing at all.
Lol. Cheesy

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2012, 12:45:11 PM »

So in Alexandria there are now two popes named Theodore II.

Orthodox Unity!

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2012, 12:58:48 PM »

Orthodox Unity!

That's what I thought; a sign to proclam official unity of EO and OO Wink

Let God give strength to both Alexandrian popes for these so difficult times for Egyptian Christians. I wish during the pontificates of them it would happen. Together we can achieve much more, specially in missions in Africa

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2012, 02:55:29 PM »

Axios! Axios! Axios!
may God preserve the life of both alexandrian theodore 2nd's for many years and peaceful and united times.
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »

Axios! Axios! Axios!

He has a lot of problems to deal with in the church, may the lord give him strength. May he provide comfort to his flock suffering from Islamic extremism in Egypt, may he help the Ethiopian church as it chooses its new Patriarch, and the help solve the problem in Eritrea. But first and foremost, the situation going on in Egypt.
Eis Polla Eti Despota and Mabrook!

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2012, 05:20:11 PM »

Wiki gives me no other info but that the 45th patriarch, Pope Theodosius II was also referred to as Pope Theodoros I which translates to Tawadros.
I think wikipedia made a mistake.  After checking Iris Habib el Masry, Abba Severus al-Ashmumein, and Mark Swanson, there is no indication (or much info really about Pope Tawadros I) that the first Tawadros is also known as Theodosius.  In fact all 3 sources say Pope Theodosius II is the 79th Pope in the 13th Century, not Theodosius III as Wiki says it.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2012, 05:25:11 PM »

Orthodox Unity!

That's what I thought; a sign to proclam official unity of EO and OO Wink

Let God give strength to both Alexandrian popes for these so difficult times for Egyptian Christians. I wish during the pontificates of them it would happen. Together we can achieve much more, specially in missions in Africa
Axios!

A single name for a single Pope! God grant it!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2012, 06:48:12 PM »

Axios! Axios! Axios!

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2012, 08:01:51 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Haha! Yes, across 1300 years, appointed Bishops is always sure to cause controversy, gossip, and strife.  Me personally, I don't understand it, out my convert's zeal I embrace Church leaders by Faith as appointed by God.  I don't see the need for laity to get involved aside from praying for our leaders Smiley

Speaking of which, let us pray that God grant many years to His Holiness Pope Theodore and praised be to God through the Saints that the See of Mark is yet again securely occupied by an Apostolic successor! Further, I hope the new Pope will be as embracing and active in the Ethiopian Church as was the legacy of the great Pope Shenouda III ( dare say we should pursue canonization for our reverend Father, his legacy is so great in the Oriental world, we might not even have any Oriental Churches today if not for Pope Shenouda's constant efforts in the global community)

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
qawe

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2012, 08:07:45 PM »

( dare say we should pursue canonization for our reverend Father, his legacy is so great in the Oriental world, we might not even have any Oriental Churches today if not for Pope Shenouda's constant efforts in the global community)

Why should we pursue canonisation if there are no miracles recorded?!
Also, the rule is to wait until 50 years after their death.
We are not like the Catholics who canonise every Pope they have!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 08:08:30 PM by qawe » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2012, 08:16:13 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

( dare say we should pursue canonization for our reverend Father, his legacy is so great in the Oriental world, we might not even have any Oriental Churches today if not for Pope Shenouda's constant efforts in the global community)

To me, Pope Shenouda's intervention in the Tewahedo Church across 40 plus years, from HH work with HIM during the final years of the Crown, or how HH worked against the communist Derg, or how HH denounced the dethroning and later tragic assassination of the martyred Abune Theophilos, or how HH mediated during the 1991 Ethiopian Revolution to ensure the Tewahedo Church did not splinter away, or how HH intervened in the Eritrean conflicts to assist them towards autocephaly... these I would say in the context of the decades of war ensuing were miracles angel angel angel

In fifty years, I will be sure to bring it up again, until then I will hold the memory of His Holiness Pope Shenouda in private devotion police

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2012, 09:37:02 PM »

Why should there be miracles recorded? Sainthood should not be limited by miracles?  People like archdeacon Habib Guirguis and Abba Bulus el Bushi should be canonized.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 09:37:58 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
qawe

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2012, 09:49:13 PM »

Why should there be miracles recorded? Sainthood should not be limited by miracles?  People like archdeacon Habib Guirguis and Abba Bulus el Bushi should be canonized.

Sorry, I thought there was a rule that miracles are a prerequisite for canonisation
Athough I guess I have never heard of miracles by St Athanasius
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2012, 10:12:45 PM »

I was hoping for Father Raphael Ava Mina

oh well
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 10:14:27 PM by Gunnarr » Logged

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2012, 10:15:37 PM »

I was hoping for Father Pachomios El-Syrian ;P

oh well
I was hoping for either Fr. Rophael or Anba Rophael. But I guess we'll just have to trust that God appointed H.H. Anba Tawadros according to His Holy will. Smiley
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 10:17:40 PM by Severian » Logged

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2012, 10:25:16 PM »

And Fr. Matthew the Poor. And some friendly encouragement given the Armenian Church to canonize some saints who've been waiting for 800 years. Smiley

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2012, 11:51:24 PM »

And some friendly encouragement given the Armenian Church to canonize some saints who've been waiting for 800 years. Smiley

Is there someone you had in mind?

Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2012, 12:32:48 AM »

oh well
I was hoping for either Fr. Rophael or Anba Rophael. But I guess we'll just have to trust that God appointed H.H. Anba Tawadros according to His Holy will. Smiley

oh jeez!!!

you quoted me before I could edit to correct the name! I also was hoping for Father Rophael Smiley

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
qawe

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2012, 02:20:52 AM »

oh well

oh jeez!!!

you quoted me before I could edit to correct the name! I also was hoping for Father Rophael Smiley

lol  Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 02:21:14 AM by qawe » Logged
zekarja
High Elder

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2012, 10:29:02 AM »

Why should We are not like the Catholics who canonise every Pope they have!

I would say that this word is undue and uncharitable. This is also an untruth. Just because the Catholic Church has rushed the canonization process with the late Pope John Paul II doesn't mean they "canonise every Pope they have!" Most Roman popes are not saints. After AD 816, far fewer popes were made saints: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12272b.htm

May God grant Pope Tawadros many years!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 10:30:50 AM by zekarja » Logged

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2012, 03:29:27 PM »

This should bring many of us here gladness and peace in heart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNLyfBCuKKA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

HG Bishop Rafael, himself was a papal candidate and also one of the bishops who nominated HG Bishop Tawadros, shows his utmost joy in knowing that Bishop Tawadros, who was his colleague for a number of years will become his Papa.  In reply, Bishop Tawadros in humility would talk about how much more qualified in his knowledge and teaching Bishop Rafael is, and how he will continue to learn from him, asking him to never leave his side.  Bishop Rafael would keep repeating "God has a different opinion," and vowed to be a servant and disciple to him.

zekarja
High Elder

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2012, 03:34:33 PM »

I really like Pope Tawadros' humble response to being elected:

'The new Pope was staying at his monastery of St. Bishoy in the Wadi El N’atrun when the Lot was drawn and on being told the news, replied, “I thank the Lord for His grace; I am undeserving.” He then joined the monks at the monastery in prayers and doxologies before the shrine of Saint Bishoy.' - Source: http://britishorthodox.org/3783/bishop-tawadros-chosen-by-the-sacred-lot-to-be-118th-pope/

[Emphasis mine.]

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2012, 04:05:49 PM »

The way Met. Bakhomious guided the boy's hand to a certain ball made it look a bit rigged.
And I'm sure that Anba Tawadros was Met. Bakhomious' preferred candidate, since he is his disciple.
Conspiracy?!!!

Who knew the Copts could best the RCs for stakes in bingo?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
zekarja
High Elder

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2012, 04:10:49 PM »

Conspiracy?!!!

The Apostles cast lots to replace Judas... Cleromancy has been used by the God at least since the times of Moses.  Wink

Some info on the matter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleromancy
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 04:12:16 PM by zekarja » Logged

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2012, 04:12:22 PM »

Conspiracy?!!!

The Apostles cast lots to replace Judas...

That's not very nice . . .

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2012, 04:16:07 PM »

Conspiracy?!!!

The Apostles cast lots to replace Judas... Cleromancy has been used by the God at least since the times of Moses.  Wink

Some info on the matter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleromancy

Give the track record of the OCA, perhaps they should choose their Bishops and Metropolitan on Thanksgiving Day by a turkey wish bone pulling round-robin.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 04:17:05 PM by orthonorm » Logged

zekarja
High Elder

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2012, 04:25:55 PM »

Conspiracy?!!!

The Apostles cast lots to replace Judas...

That's not very nice . . .

I meant, "to fill the place". Tongue

ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2012, 05:50:42 PM »

Axios! Axios! Axios! Many years! Eis polla eti Despota!
Tags: Coptic Orthodox Church Pope Tawadros 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: