OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 07:03:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vatican: Priests, bishops should wear cassocks  (Read 1218 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: November 19, 2012, 03:49:16 PM »

Bishops, priests and religious should wear the formal long robes of a cassock during most occasions when visiting Rome, a high-ranking Vatican official has said.

Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, the Vatican's Secretariat of State, made the request for the formal dress in a letter released during last month's Synod of Bishops.
"The very example of those who, sealed with the episcopal dignity, are faithful to the daily use of the cassock proper to them, during office hours, becomes an explicit encouragement for all, including for the Episcopates and for those who visit the Roman Curia and Vatican City," Bertone writes.

The cassock is an ankle-length robe distinguished by a series of buttons down the front and a sash worn across the waist. While typically seen worn by bishops and cardinals, priests in many parts of the world are more often seen instead wearing button down shirts with clerical collars.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
choy
Archon

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 04:16:50 PM »

The 'Doxification of Rome has begun Wink
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 04:21:38 PM »

If the order was coming straight from the pope I would be tempted to shout spontaneous "AXIOS!"

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 04:47:14 PM »

If the order was coming straight from the pope I would be tempted to shout spontaneous "AXIOS!"

Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, the Vatican's Secretariat of State, made the request for the formal dress in a letter released during last month's Synod of Bishops.

It came at the bequest of Pope Benedict XVI, reports a posting at veteran Italian journalist Sandro Magister's site at the Italian newsmagazine l'Espresso.

Bertone's letter, first made public Monday but dated Oct. 15, asks bishops and cardinals "kindly to guarantee" the observance of a 1982 letter by Pope John Paul II on the matter.

That letter, written by the deceased pontiff to the then-vicar general for the diocese of Rome, asked that priests wear the more formal dress as a "distinguishing mark" which contributes to "the beauty of the priest in his external behavior."
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 04:47:37 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 07:25:09 PM »

What a shame.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 07:30:02 PM »

More of a return to our own traditions.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
choy
Archon

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 07:33:27 PM »

Precisely Wink
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 08:54:40 PM »

Precisely Wink

Would that all Orthodox Christian priests and bishops also wear the frock or raissa when in public.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
choy
Archon

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 08:56:32 PM »

Would that all Orthodox Christian priests and bishops also wear the frock or raissa when in public.

Do they?  The few that I know do, not sure if all do.  I guess if they have secular jobs or something, you don't expect them wearing the raissa to work.  I don't know how much of their secular life do they wear their raissa.  Might vary I suspect.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 09:08:59 PM »

Do they?  The few that I know do, not sure if all do.  I guess if they have secular jobs or something, you don't expect them wearing the raissa to work.  I don't know how much of their secular life do they wear their raissa.  Might vary I suspect.

Are you ESL?

Maria is using a somewhat dated construction of the subjunctive minus the oft included exclamation point.

Would that x!

Means something like:

I wish x were so.

The Would that x! construction is a bit more emphatic.

Given the subjunctive usage you can infer the opposite is the case.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 09:10:21 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 09:16:50 PM »

Do they?  The few that I know do, not sure if all do.  I guess if they have secular jobs or something, you don't expect them wearing the raissa to work.  I don't know how much of their secular life do they wear their raissa.  Might vary I suspect.

Are you ESL?

Maria is using a somewhat dated construction of the subjunctive minus the oft included exclamation point.

Would that x!

Means something like:

I wish x were so.

Truth is subjunctive.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 09:18:40 PM »

Are you ESL?

Would that x!

Means something like:

I wish x were so.

Truth is subjunctive.

That it were!

choy
Archon

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 09:21:16 PM »

Are you ESL?

Would that x!

Means something like:

I wish x were so.

Not everyone speaks the same kind of English y'know.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 09:29:37 PM »

Are you ESL?

Would that x!

Means something like:

I wish x were so.

Not everyone speaks the same kind of English y'know.

Yeah, except that this use of the subjunctive is pretty much part of the Standard Language. If someone is a bit educated and literate in English, this would either be clear or seem perhaps a bit dated.

Sorry if you are not ESL. Didn't mean to offend.

choy
Archon

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 09:34:40 PM »

Yeah, except that this use of the subjunctive is pretty much part of the Standard Language. If someone is a bit educated and literate in English, this would either be clear or seem perhaps a bit dated.

No, I am ESL.  But that still doesn't change the fact that the use of English is different from place to place.  Even within the United States.  Though I've pretty much used English my entire life, though it is not my native language and not used as much in our daily life back where I come from.  But English is the second official language there and taught in all levels of school.  Plus there is good access to English language TV programming.  Growing up even the Japanese anime were translated locally to English instead of Filipino.  Only in more recent times has the foreign non-English shows been translated to Filipino instead of English.  And I do live in Canada now.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 09:45:39 PM »

No, I am ESL.  But that still doesn't change the fact that the use of English is different from place to place.  Even within the United States.  Though I've pretty much used English my entire life, though it is not my native language and not used as much in our daily life back where I come from.  But English is the second official language there and taught in all levels of school.  Plus there is good access to English language TV programming.  Growing up even the Japanese anime were translated locally to English instead of Filipino.  Only in more recent times has the foreign non-English shows been translated to Filipino instead of English.  And I do live in Canada now.

OK, So I stand correct.

Thanks.

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 10:11:24 PM »

Good development.  The rule should be applied to clergy attire while conducting official responsibilities on parish property too.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 12:18:30 AM »

Years back, I was at a Greek festival during a very hot summer, and, as I do most of the time, I was in rasso (rather than the clergy shirt & suit).  They asked me to sit next to a senior priest from the 'Old School' (suit, plastic collar that goes all the way around, no beard, etc.).

He looked at me with disgust, then said, "Why do you wear that?"

I looked at him and said, "You are wearing a black wool suit, long-sleeve polyesther shirt with a thick collar, and an undershirt, right?  I'm wearing a cotton cassock with a t-shirt underneith... who's baking to death in this sun right now?"

He looked totally surprised, then nodded.  "I guess that's not a bad idea on a day like today."

We both laughed.  I don't insult him, because he served honorably for 50 years in a very different world.  But, times have changed, and I think the Church is not so afraid of looking 'foreign' anymore...

Good development.  The rule should be applied to clergy attire while conducting official responsibilities on parish property too.

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 12:23:33 AM »

Why does Met. Phillip not allow the clergy to wear cassocks?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 12:34:27 AM »

He doesn't? I'm afraid I can't tell priestly garb apart at all, but I'm pretty sure I see my priest wearing a cassock-looking outfit after liturgy in coffee hour...
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 12:52:40 AM »

He doesn't? I'm afraid I can't tell priestly garb apart at all, but I'm pretty sure I see my priest wearing a cassock-looking outfit after liturgy in coffee hour...
I thought Met Phillip had all the priests required to wear a collarino outside of the parish. Maybe I was wrong.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 12:56:42 AM »

I thought Met Phillip had all the priests required to wear a collarino outside of the parish. Maybe I was wrong.

Oh, well I guess it is still in the parish. Nevermind then. Tongue
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 02:26:28 AM »

Would that [mean that] all Orthodox Christian priests and bishops also wear the frock or raissa when in public.

Are you ESL?
Would that x!
Means something like:
I wish x were so.

Funny.  I just thought she left a couple of words out.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, 02:45:46 AM »

Would that [mean that] all Orthodox Christian priests and bishops also wear the frock or raissa when in public.

Are you ESL?
Would that x!
Means something like:
I wish x were so.

Funny.  I just thought she left a couple of words out.

No, I did not leave out any words, and yes, I would have used an exclamation after that statement. Sorry. However, I have been busy making Christmas gifts for my parish and the nearby monastery, so I quickly posted and left to finish a project.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: