OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 01:32:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO differences with EO  (Read 734 times) Average Rating: 0
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« on: November 03, 2012, 11:27:27 PM »

I was wondering if Oriental Orthodox Christians look at the discussions taking place between Eastern Orthodox Christians and wonder at times what we are talking about and why.  Do the debates which frequent modern discussion within EO circles even happen within OO circles? 

I left Protestantism for a reason, but I am finding much of what infected it is slowly creeping into EO.  Have these same things reared their evil heads within the OO Church or do you observe us and think, what is their problem?

My head spins at particular topics and I wonder if I am alone. 
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 11:43:42 PM »

Have these same things reared their evil heads within the OO Church

There is no perfect denomination. We all have our problems.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 11:44:11 PM by Alpo » Logged
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 11:58:51 PM »

If you're wondering whether or not OO fight amongst each other you must have never visited Tasbeha.org. Wink

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 12:10:12 AM »

If you're wondering whether or not OO fight amongst each other you must have never visited Tasbeha.org. Wink

I suppose that would be half of the question.  The other half would be if the arguments are over the same things.
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 12:15:13 AM »

Newsflash: Tasbeha shows that OO are human too!  Tongue

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 01:20:09 AM »

I suppose that would be half of the question.  The other half would be if the arguments are over the same things.

No. We fight about important things, like whether or not we should celebrate Thanksgiving in America. Or whether a particular letter of the Coptic alphabet is pronounced "kh" or "sh". Important things.

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 01:29:40 AM »

No. We fight about important things, like whether or not we should celebrate Thanksgiving in America. Or whether a particular letter of the Coptic alphabet is pronounced "kh" or "sh". Important things.
In all seriousness, we have fought about important doctrinal (but necessarily dogmatic) things in the past like the assumption of the Theotokos, the nature of sin, how the 15th canon of Nicaea is to be applied and interpreted, etc.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 01:30:03 AM by Severian » Logged

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 01:43:52 AM »

Sorry, Severian. That comment was meant to follow Cavaradossi's for a reason (those are real arguments from Tasbeha...pages and pages of arguments, some of which I stupidly participated in Embarrassed). But you are right, we have fought over some very important things, historically and currently. Important things require it, sometimes.

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 01:47:11 AM »

Sorry, Severian. That comment was meant to follow Cavaradossi's for a reason (those are real arguments from Tasbeha...pages and pages of arguments, some of which I stupidly participated in Embarrassed). But you are right, we have fought over some very important things, historically and currently. Important things require it, sometimes.
No need to apologize, I was just clarifying a point for Kerdy's information. Smiley

And don't worry, I have embarrassed myself both on that forum and here at OC.net 1000x over! Wink

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 03:37:21 AM »

In all seriousness, we have fought about important doctrinal (but necessarily dogmatic) things in the past like the assumption of the Theotokos, the nature of sin, how the 15th canon of Nicaea is to be applied and interpreted, etc.

How does the OO deal with the topics which seem to always keep popping up here such as homosexuality and evolution?
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 03:42:30 AM »

Do you mean individual OO laypeople, or are you looking for statements from our churches or...?

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 03:52:58 AM »

Whatever you have.  I am trying to figure out if this is a global problem within everyone organization or an individual problem within the minds and heart of people.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 04:10:11 AM »

Well, at least as so far as concerns statements I can find from my bishop, HG Bishop Youssef, on our diocese website (http://www.suscopts.org/), it seems that the Coptic Church at least is against both evolution and homosexuality. I don't want to put words in anyone else's mouth, though, so while I assume that you could find similar opinions expressed by bishops or other officials of the various OO churches, I don't really know for sure. I have read some Ethiopian Orthodox materials that seem to be against evolution, though.

Separate from all that, it seems like you can't go wrong by picking "an individual problem within the minds and heart of people", no matter what it is we're talking about.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 04:16:04 AM »

Thank you for your reply.   Smiley
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: