OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 12:32:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings from Athens, Greece.  (Read 3268 times) Average Rating: 0
Constantine XII

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« on: November 02, 2012, 08:33:48 PM »

Hello all... My name is Konstantinos or Constantine and I am from Athens, Greece... 24 - 25 years old... I hope this topic is in the appropriate position.

I am a proud Christian Greek Orthodox. I love the history of Greece and especially Byzantine Greece... Byzantine Empire is my favorite Empire (and Macedonia) and every day I thank GOD, because my name is Constantine. I think a few of you, have already understood the meaning of my account's name: Constantine XII...

I believe in God, in Jesus Christ like a Modern Christian Orthodox, like my parents, like my grandparents ... like my Greek ancestors the last 2000 years.

I listen Greek music and of course my favorite one is Byzantine Music. I hope I will study soon Byzantine Music because I think it has very beautiful secrets...

I fast very often.

Do you know what I have done to my ID? In Greece they have forbidden religion in our ID, because they hate Christian Orthodox. So, in my signature in ID, I have added two letters: Χ.Ο., from Greek Χριστιανός Ορθόδοξος, which means Christian Orthodox.

Anyway, I am in this forum, because I want to find friends around the world who are proud Christian Orthodox. I hope you will welcome me...

Konstantinos - Constantine...

"Σώπασε κυρά Δέσποινα και μη πολυδακρύζεις, πάλι με χρόνους, με καιρούς, πάλι δικά μας θα ΄ναι"
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 09:09:41 PM »

Welcome  Smiley

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 10:34:02 PM »

"In Greece they have forbidden religion in our ID, because they hate Christian Orthodox."

WHY do you say they hate christan orthodox!? Who is they, the goverment?

BTW: many here also hate Greeks. Just an FYI.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 10:35:50 PM by Nikolaostheservant » Logged
Constantine XII

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 11:08:47 PM »

"In Greece they have forbidden religion in our ID, because they hate Christian Orthodox."

WHY do you say they hate christan orthodox!? Who is they, the goverment?

BTW: many here also hate Greeks. Just an FYI.

Where are you from? Because I can see your faith is Greek Orthodox. And what you mean, many here also hate Greeks? Where there?

Yes, the Government is an anti-orthodox organization the last 40 years. It is obvious why they hate Christian Orthodox.

@ Ansgar, thank you.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 11:10:25 PM by Constantine XII » Logged

"Σώπασε κυρά Δέσποινα και μη πολυδακρύζεις, πάλι με χρόνους, με καιρούς, πάλι δικά μας θα ΄ναι"
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 12:07:52 AM »

Forgot to say welcome to the forum!

I was born in Greece, Athens.
My family moved to the USA when i was 2yr old, so i don't really know Greece, much.
I went back 1 time when i was 8-9yr old.
----------
On this forum, there are other Greeks but some ppl don't particularly like Greeks.
I have noticed many derogatory statements abt Greeks and vieled criticisms.
Just a heads up.
----------
Its so very sad to hear that abt the Greek government!
Its not obvious to me why they hate Orthodoxy, would you explain?
Constantine XII

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 02:12:02 AM »

Σε ευχαριστώ για το καλωσόρισμα Νίκολα. I hope you know Greek language.

I like very much Greek diaspora, especially in USA. From which city - state you are from?

I do not care about them who do not like everything Hellenic - Greek. It is very usual in my everyday life.

Why do they hate Orthodoxy? Why do they hate entire Hellenism? I will tell you a short synopsis of my life and I will explain you.

I was born and I grew up in the Capital of Greece: Athens. From my first years, I have been taught only one thing: To hate everything which has Greek roots. Yes, this is the reality. In the Capital of Greece, they taught me how to hate Greece. How to hate the history of this Geographical Region.

And when I was young, yes, I hated Greek things, because my parents did not tell me the reality. They did not help me to understand what's happening around me.

But now I am 25 years old, and I have understood the situation alone, without helping. And I am very very scared. Not about them... Of course not.  I “am scared” about the level of Greek civilization. How much high was / is Greek civilization and they have created a well organized plan to show us that it was not important?

Orthodoxy is a 100% Greek invention. We speak Modern Greek, but in churches we still use Byzantine Greek. 2000 years we use the same language in churches... Orthodoxy is a very strong branch of Hellenic civilization. This is the reason why they hate Orthodoxy.

If your question is why they hate Hellenism (general talking), the reason is very simple. If you have understood Greek civilization, you cannot become a@@hole. You cannot become gay... They gave us everything...

Do not forget what Schiller said about Greeks:

Damned Greek...

Every where I turn my thought, every where I turn my soul, I find you in front of me.

Should I long for art, poetry, theater, architecture, you are in front of me, first and unsurpassable.

Should I long for science, mathematics, philosophy, [you are] top and unbeatable.

... ...

Damned Greek, damned knowledge.

Why should I touch you?

Why should I feel how small I am, unimportant

... ...

Damned Greek, you found everything; philosophy, geometry, physics, astronomy… you left nothing for us.

I think Orthodoxy is the highest pneumatic level in the history of humanity. You live in USA, so you can understand how is a society with a very low pneumatic level. But I do not think Americans have low pneumatic level. They do not have pneumatic level.

Anyway, this post really is very big.... I want we keep in touch and I am waiting for you in Greece.

LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 05:04:06 AM »

I do not care about them who do not like everything Hellenic - Greek.

What a sad and insular view. I can count a variety of nationalities and cultures among my wider family, and all of them have good and bad elements, including the Greeks. No culture or ethnicity is perfect in every way.

Orthodoxy is a 100% Greek invention.

I'm sorry, but you're very wrong here. Christ was not Greek, neither were most of the apostles. And countless saints, early and more recent, venerated by the Orthodox Church, were not Greek.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 05:13:12 AM »

He sounds like 90% of the Greeks at my former Greek parish.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 05:17:20 AM »

On this forum, there are other Greeks but some ppl don't particularly like Greeks.

I am not anti-Greek (I am even married to one), but I think the insular and deluded arrogance exemplified in this thread is the reason certain people here and elsewhere aren't exactly enthralled with Greeks.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 05:17:47 AM by Orthodox11 » Logged
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 05:21:57 AM »

I am not anti-Greek (I am even married to one), but I think the insular and deluded arrogance exemplified in this thread is the reason certain people here and elsewhere aren't exactly enthralled with Greeks.

Yup. Greeks, especially those in Greece, just have to realize that they stopped being the center of the universe many centuries ago.  Cool
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 05:40:11 AM »

psalm110
Elder

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 05:41:17 AM »

Welcome : ) I am Greek Australia,

I have some questions about Greece.

Can you explain to me what do you mean by the Politis Karta ? Why they dont want to include religion on your ID Card ?. Possible its to avoid discrimination when you present it to your employers.

How are you coping in Greece ?, with all the economic issues in Greece are you studying or working full-time is it hard for young people your age to find a job ?.

How do you feel about foreigners in Greece ? And how are the Greek people towards foreigners and non Orthodox Christians? I feel they are very hostile to non Greeks and Greeks who are not born in Greece, Emei Ellhnas ala emei Xenos mesa stin Patrida mou. Majority Greeks in Greece are not nice, but where are all the nice Greek man and women can you tell me or show me so I can talk with them ? is there an Online Greek Orthodox forum on the internet from Greece were true Greek Orthodox Christians join together with love and talk ?.

Thanks

« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 05:45:51 AM by psalm110 » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 05:55:42 AM »

I thought Jesus was a Jew...

If your question is why they hate Hellenism (general talking), the reason is very simple. If you have understood Greek civilization, you cannot become a@@hole. You cannot become gay...

Really?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b4/Art_gr%C3%A8cia.jpg

picture can be considered indecent

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 06:29:37 AM »

Yup. Greeks, especially those in Greece, just have to realize that they stopped being the center of the universe many centuries ago.  Cool

Indeed, though I think it's precisely that realisation that leads to comments such as the above. Most Greeks think the rest of Europe are completely oblivious to the role of Greek language, thought, and culture in shaping their history and therefore feel the need to give every non-Greek they talk to a lesson in the subject. So, although it comes off as very patronising and arrogant to the rest of us, most of the time it's well intentioned, for which reason I should apologise for my harsh tone above.

Καλώς ορίσατε Κωνσταντίνε!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 06:31:11 AM by Orthodox11 » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 06:46:51 AM »

You have many Greeks there? (Not descendents, but immigrants).

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 06:58:38 AM »

I would say probably 3 million Greeks or so, the Metropolis of Denver only has 35,000 members the last I remember, but those memberships include those that are not Greek. Immigrants though? I have no idea, a few sprinkled in the Cathedral but that's about all I can recall. But when Greeks were immigrating I'm sure they were working in the mines here and in Utah, but those numbers were still low, and that was way back in the day.

There's an annual Greek festival too:
http://www.thegreekfestival.com/
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 07:00:55 AM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 07:11:52 AM »

I would say probably 3 million Greeks or so, the Metropolis of Denver only has 35,000 members the last I remember, but those memberships include those that are not Greek. Immigrants though? I have no idea, a few sprinkled in the Cathedral but that's about all I can recall. But when Greeks were immigrating I'm sure they were working in the mines here and in Utah, but those numbers were still low, and that was way back in the day.

Answer: you don't know how many real Greeks (and that does not include Americans of Hellenic ancestry). So 90% of an unknown means exactly what?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 07:14:15 AM »

Remember its not the total amount of Greeks, but of the Greeks that the parish had 90% of them said the same thing.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 07:32:19 AM »

Remember its not the total amount of Greeks, but of the Greeks that the parish had 90% of them said the same thing.

And they are Greeks from Greece? How many, again?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 07:33:03 AM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 08:30:14 AM »

+1 (from a Greek).

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2012, 08:41:05 AM »

I do think a renewed interest in things Greek would be a good thing for education in all the Western world and possibly in Greece.

Specially if the Romaic Empire (aka Byzantine) was put in its proper place in history.

But not the Romaic Empire only. The Frank-Germanic tribes as well. I believe the impact of the events from the 8th to 14th century are deeply misunderstood in modern historiography.

The Romaic Empire was indeed the Roman Empire, Christianized and Hellenized. Was it different from the Pagan Roman Empire? Of course, but no less then modern Spain is from old Iberia. The Spanish and Portuguese *are* the Iberians. Since Constantine moved culture, state and even people (therefore DNA) to Constantinople, they were the Romans.

Now, were the Westerns Romans, despite being Frank-Germanic? In a sense yes, and in way that Rome itself had created by expanding Roman citizenship to those who were not born in the city. Western Romanity *is* a way of being Roman that was created and sanctioned by Rome itself. It is a romanity based on the concept of foederatti.

In fact, the chasm between Romaic romanity and Western romanity reflects the born citizen / naturalized citizen dichotomy. Interestingly enough, actual Romans, people born in the city of Rome, couldn't care less about all this. Only the descedants of the exiled Romans and of the naturalized Romans were concerned about their identities, and that is an expression of a verified social phenomena: that "branches" of a certain culture are usually more conservative about it then the original culture. Thus settlers and colonizers were usually more conservative about their culture and language then the ones in the metropolis. Also, naturalized citizens tend to "overplay" a stereotype of that culture, at least for sometime, before they get "natural".

Obviously, although they were "exiled romans" and "naturalized romans" they were both romans in a sense. But, and this makes a great difference, the fall of the Roman Empire did cause a cultural rupture that left the naturalized romans to do much guess work about what being Roman meant. Also, they lost the international language of culture and philosophy that was Greek, and even the literacy in Latin, while their ethnic languages didn't even have a consolidated written form. That's another serious rupture. The Romaic Empire, on the other hand, had much higher standards of culture preservation, even in its lower periods. That means that they could know better what being a Roman meant, what being a Christian meant, as well as be able to continually develop the form of their language without ever loosing contact with the registered insight of previous generations. Much of the emphasys on the Pope came, in my opinion, from a quiet desperation with the loss of this natural authority that History provides in the contact with Tradition. With no solid past to support the present and future, a figure of authority had to be produced.

Anyways, I think that studying Greek history, specially from the Romaic period on (that is, since the foundation of Constantinople, including the complete hellenization of the Roman Empire, a trend that existed since the foundation of the city itself), can provide us Westerns with deep, fruitful insights about our own history as cultural descedants of those "naturalized Romans" who were once called barbaric tribes.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 08:41:56 AM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2012, 09:44:17 AM »

Tatian: Address to the Greeks, chapter 1

Be not, O Greeks, so very hostilely disposed towards the Barbarians, nor look with ill will on their opinions. For which of your institutions has not been derived from the Barbarians? The most eminent of the Telmessians invented the art of divining by dreams; the Carians, that of prognosticating by the stars; the Phrygians and the most ancient Isaurians, augury by the flight of birds; the Cyprians, the art of inspecting victims.

To the Babylonians you owe astronomy; to the Persians, magic; to the Egyptians, geometry; to the Phœnicians, instruction by alphabetic writing. Cease, then, to miscall these imitations inventions of your own. Orpheus, again, taught you poetry and song; from him, too, you learned the mysteries. The Tuscans taught you the plastic art; from the annals of the Egyptians you learned to write history; you acquired the art of playing the flute from Marsyas and Olympus,— these two rustic Phrygians constructed the harmony of the shepherd's pipe. The Tyrrhenians invented the trumpet; the Cyclopes, the smith's art; and a woman who was formerly a queen of the Persians, as Hellanicus tells us, the method of joining together epistolary tablets: her name was Atossa.

Wherefore lay aside this conceit, and be not ever boasting of your elegance of diction; for, while you applaud yourselves, your own people will of course side with you. But it becomes a man of sense to wait for the testimony of others.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 09:45:23 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2012, 09:51:59 AM »

But the Greeks put all that together for good use. Just like the US, in the 19th and 20th century, became a hub for the best in every country and culture, allowing different ideas to meet and therefore create something anew.

It is precisely by giving up silly phyletism - that caricature of true patriotism - and adopting the best every nation has created that real innovation emerges and a true beacon of civilization is born in each historic period.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 09:53:52 AM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2012, 10:49:21 AM »

Heh, I'm very much a philhellene. I just thought it'd be funny to post the first part of Tatian's Adress to the Greeks.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 10:50:40 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2012, 12:02:55 PM »

Yup. Greeks, especially those in Greece, just have to realize that they stopped being the center of the universe many centuries ago.  Cool

Your just jelous cause we invented EVERYTHING!
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2012, 12:06:42 PM »

Yup. Greeks, especially those in Greece, just have to realize that they stopped being the center of the universe many centuries ago.  Cool

Indeed, though I think it's precisely that realisation that leads to comments such as the above. Most Greeks think the rest of Europe are completely oblivious to the role of Greek language, thought, and culture in shaping their history and therefore feel the need to give every non-Greek they talk to a lesson in the subject. So, although it comes off as very patronising and arrogant to the rest of us, most of the time it's well intentioned, for which reason I should apologise for my harsh tone above.

Καλώς ορίσατε Κωνσταντίνε!

WOW, where to you live.....IN my big fat greek wedding??!?!?
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2012, 12:08:55 PM »

Hello.  I am not of the Greek nationality, but I do belong to a Greek Orthodox Church and wish to welcome you to the forum.
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2012, 12:13:55 PM »

No it is not...

You cannot become gay... They gave us everything...

What on earth? LOL
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 12:15:57 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2012, 12:15:25 PM »

WOW, where to you live.....IN my big fat greek wedding??!?!?

You don't think the initial posts in this thread were eerily reminiscent of that movie?

Where I live most of the Greeks are not like that. However, a lot of the Greeks I know from Greece, many of whom are good friends of mine, literally can't go a single conversation without mentioning how many Greek loanwords there are in the English language, or something similar. Last time I went to Mount Athos, a pilgrim there spent an hour explaining to me how "the Greek language is the only language in the world where the meaning is in the word." Now, most of them don't say it with arrogance and are just keen to share their culture with you, which is why I don't really mind. They just don't realise how incredibly patronising and tedious it is for those who have to listen to it over and over again.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 12:24:26 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2012, 12:16:47 PM »

Michał...I love this post!

Forgive my sins.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2012, 12:22:50 PM »

BTW: reading this Greek bashing thread i realise what you guys are saying is.....projection.

Do you realise in Greece they HATE Americans and anything American? and do you know why? it because of what you have just been accusing the Greeks of.
You have been accusing the Greeks of being, or thingking they are better then others.
yet....that is what annoys the hell out of other countries abt the Americans. that is why America has become the villain/bully of the world!

The fact is the Greeks did invent all the things you Americans wish you had invented but were to busy with your thumb up your bum at the time?

I think you are just jealous of the fact that the Greeks invented/gave the world all this knowledge and there is no way of denying it?
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2012, 12:26:35 PM »

BTW: reading this Greek bashing thread i realise what you guys are saying is.....projection.

Do you realise in Greece they HATE Americans and anything American? and do you know why? it because of what you have just been accusing the Greeks of.
You have been accusing the Greeks of being, or thingking they are better then others.
yet....that is what annoys the hell out of other countries abt the Americans. that is why America has become the villain/bully of the world!

The fact is the Greeks did invent all the things you Americans wish you had invented but were to busy with your thumb up your bum at the time?

I think you are just jealous of the fact that the Greeks invented/gave the world all this knowledge and there is no way of denying it?

American in-your-face patriotism is no less annoying or patronising. Greeks are by no means the only people who are guilty of this, it's simply that, in Orthodox circles, the Greek variety is the one one most often encounters.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 12:28:52 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2012, 12:27:52 PM »

American superior complex vs. Greek superior complex.

I'm going to buy some chips and beer.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2012, 12:31:02 PM »

We all know what the best nationality is...

-Samuel Coleridge
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »

Yet, you are assuming everyone here is American. laugh

But to be honest, both Americans and Greeks have superiority complexes. lol

Really...? Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 12:37:34 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2012, 12:37:35 PM »

Yet, you are assuming everyone here is American. laugh

But to be honest, they both have superiority complexes. lol

NO, i know everyont here is not american!
But im greek/american and i was reffering to the two things i know---greeks and american.
and a strong yes-----they definitly both have superiority comlexes!
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2012, 12:39:08 PM »

BUT the fact still remains

GREEKS INVENTED EVERYTING
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 12:39:41 PM by Nikolaostheservant » Logged
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2012, 12:39:52 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN_NdQ6QjLI

Forgive my sins.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2012, 12:41:54 PM »

BUT the fact still remains

GREEKS INVENTED EVERYTING

said Mr. Portokalis
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2012, 02:44:44 PM »

+1

This is silly. Even Newsweek knows that Finland is the best country in the World.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 02:51:44 PM by Alpo » Logged

Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2012, 02:55:03 PM »

I love Greece, especially Thessaloniki. But I cannot accept to call Orthodoxy an "invention" - it is the truth from God.

As for mentioning the religion in the ID, this was actually a Turkish invention - according to the Ottoman millet system, the religion constituted also a legal status, since many areas of law were governed by the individual millet. That is why the religion was mentioned in the ID. This is still the case in some countries of the former Ottoman Empire today, such as Turkey (in spite of its laicist constitution), Egypt and Israel. In Greece, this custom also was maintained after indepedence, until it was abolished a few years ago, according to European Union regulations.

I don't think our faith depends on the mention in an ID card. The apostles didn't have any ID ards at all, and still they had faith.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2012, 03:00:22 PM »

This is silly. Even Newsweek knows that Finland is the best country in the World.

I don't know what's to be proud of in being Finnish (Kalevala? Nokia phones that used to be popular?), except maybe the fact that the Russians consider you hard drinkers...and 'pride' might be the wrong term for that.  Wink

This thread is hilarious, though. Nobody cares that you're Greek but you. I mean, I like gyros and all, but come on.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 03:01:46 PM by dzheremi » Logged

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2012, 03:09:37 PM »

Get real. Everyone knows the best ethnic group are Belarusians from Podlachia, then Belarusians from Lićva and only then other nations (Russians being last on the list, and Ukrainians - last but one).

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2012, 04:22:41 PM »

I don't know what's to be proud of in being Finnish (Kalevala? Nokia phones that used to be popular?), except maybe the fact that the Russians consider you hard drinkers...and 'pride' might be the wrong term for that.  Wink

Perkele! Is outrage! Here's all the proof of our greatness that you could ever want to. For instance we are proud of our beautiful women. LizaSymonenko can keep her Ukie girls. Here's what we have:

Also, akimori makoto can keep his average Greek males. This is what we have:

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2012, 04:40:44 PM »

+1

LOL. Maybe that is connected with its folding this year.

Actually, Finnish tolerance is the only tolerance I've not only tolerated, but admired.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2012, 05:05:05 PM »

This thread is hilarious, though. Nobody cares that you're Greek but you. I mean, I like gyros and all, but come on.

Finns invented Angry Birds. Case closed.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2012, 05:20:58 PM »

I don't know what that means. Case closed they're great? Case closed they're terrible and should feel bad about themselves? (I've never played that game, but people tell me it's very addictive, so it seems like it could go either way.)

That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2012, 06:05:23 PM »

Hello all... My name is Konstantinos or Constantine and I am from Athens, Greece... 24 - 25 years old... I hope this topic is in the appropriate position.

I am a proud Christian Greek Orthodox. I love the history of Greece and especially Byzantine Greece... Byzantine Empire is my favorite Empire (and Macedonia) and every day I thank GOD, because my name is Constantine. I think a few of you, have already understood the meaning of my account's name: Constantine XII...

I believe in God, in Jesus Christ like a Modern Christian Orthodox, like my parents, like my grandparents ... like my Greek ancestors the last 2000 years.

I listen Greek music and of course my favorite one is Byzantine Music. I hope I will study soon Byzantine Music because I think it has very beautiful secrets...

I fast very often.

Do you know what I have done to my ID? In Greece they have forbidden religion in our ID, because they hate Christian Orthodox. So, in my signature in ID, I have added two letters: Χ.Ο., from Greek Χριστιανός Ορθόδοξος, which means Christian Orthodox.

Anyway, I am in this forum, because I want to find friends around the world who are proud Christian Orthodox. I hope you will welcome me...

Konstantinos - Constantine...
Well if it's Pride you're looking for, you're looking for, you'll find it in droves here.

Not by any means claiming to be the exception to that.

For what it's worth, my religion isn't listed on my ID, and I don't think that's because of some hatred of Southern Baptists in the government of Ohio.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2012, 06:24:04 PM »

I do not care about them who do not like everything Hellenic - Greek.

What a sad and insular view. I can count a variety of nationalities and cultures among my wider family, and all of them have good and bad elements, including the Greeks. No culture or ethnicity is perfect in every way.

I'm sorry, but you're very wrong here. Christ was not Greek, neither were most of the apostles. And countless saints, early and more recent, venerated by the Orthodox Church, were not Greek.

You may have a better handle on Constantine XII's post. I couldn't make much sense of it. But, in your first quote, I interpreted it as him saying that "I do not care for Greeks who reject their heritage" since he was talking about Greeks that he knows and his government.

In the second quote based on the sentences that immediately followed, I interpreted it as him saying "Greeks and/or the Greek government hate Greek Orthodoxy because it is Greek", although I am actually clueless by what he means by the term "invention".

I did toy with the idea that he is a Golden Dawn member, based in the XII and strong Hellenic pride, but the desire to learn Byzantine Chant seems incompatible with that. He is probably a nice guy.
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2012, 06:34:58 PM »

If only Zeno and Heraclitus could see us now.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2012, 06:39:29 PM »

This is the better page:
http://www.thegreekfestival.com/food-menu

I have yet to make thiples or loukoumades. They are on my list to do before I die.

Have you gone?
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2012, 06:39:49 PM »

Thank you. I have finally understood what look Greek women are attempting to approximate these days: a pudgy Finnish woman with damaged hair and slightly awry cleavage.

akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2012, 06:40:17 PM »

This is the better page:
http://www.thegreekfestival.com/food-menu

I have yet to make thiples or loukoumades. They are on my list to do before I die.

Have you gone?

Loukoumadhes -- best.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2012, 06:45:25 PM »

Actually, Finnish tolerance is the only tolerance I've not only tolerated, but admired.

Admiration for tolerance? You're getting old. police

Seriously speaking, I admire Switzerland and US too due to their tolerance.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 06:46:12 PM by Alpo » Logged

Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2012, 06:45:44 PM »

Perkele! Is outrage! Here's all the proof of our greatness that you could ever want to. For instance we are proud of our beautiful women. LizaSymonenko can keep her Ukie girls. Here's what we have:

Also, akimori makoto can keep his average Greek males. This is what we have:

Is "she" the guy below, in drag, after queer eye for the streight guy got ahold of him with nose hair clippers, among other things?
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2012, 06:51:21 PM »

Loukoumadhes -- best.

They always give you free ones after a meal at the restaurants. If only they did the same with baklava.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 06:52:15 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2012, 07:08:35 PM »

I have family and friends in Athens and other parts of Greece and when we visit they always are proud of the Orthodox church, I have a cousin who is a Bishop of the Cyclades.I have4 a lawyer friend in Athens and people have lived with me in the US, they have never said what you are saying, and they always go to Greek orthodox Church.And whenever they inaugurate new Presidents the Bishops are there in the parliament to bless them

President of Greece with the Bishop

Vice President of Greece at the Phanar.

I would think your view is one sided , just as in all free countries their are people who feel the way you do.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2012, 07:18:24 PM »

i think he is talking abt gov/politicians, i have heard this also. they at one time decided to make greece like the usa--state/gov seperate from church. i belive the state hates the church caus of its power. could be wrong.

BTW: do you think we scared the o/p away with our greek and american bashing?Huh
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 07:23:31 PM by Nikolaostheservant » Logged
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2012, 07:43:55 PM »

Forgive my sins.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2012, 08:15:43 PM »

Since we're competing to see who's ugliest. Behold!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 08:15:57 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2012, 08:16:10 PM »

BTW: do you think we scared the o/p away with our greek and american bashing?Huh

Probably. I would shake the dust from my sandals and depart these environs were I he.

And we wonder why Greeks dislike Americans...

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2012, 08:17:32 PM »

Since we're competing to see who's ugliest. Behold!

Iggy Pop went blond now?  Huh

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2012, 08:53:11 PM »

Although Norway's flag is a lot cooler, Denmark owns Greece. The next King and Queen are Crown Prince Pavlos and Princess Maria-Olympia (Made in the USA) of Greece:

How do you make images smaller?

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2012, 09:00:49 PM »

Save them in Photobucket or another service, and use the editing functions. Or, use the editing in Microsoft Photo-whatever, the thing that saves photos on your computer.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2012, 09:01:50 PM »

use a smaller camera
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2012, 10:24:36 PM »

Save them in Photobucket or another service, and use the editing functions. Or, use the editing in Microsoft Photo-whatever, the thing that saves photos on your computer.  Smiley

Thank you Biro, I was hoping there was as simpler solution like [img size=50] [/img size]. I do have a photobucket-like account from a couple of years ago, I just need to remember what it was and how to log in.
psalm110
Elder

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2012, 10:47:19 PM »

Are there any Greek Orthodox Forums on the net ? like this one but in Greek and people from Greece on them?
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2012, 11:33:29 PM »

If some Finns arranged a parade like that most of the country would deem them as a far-right party. police

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2012, 11:47:44 PM »

use a smaller camera

This is precisely the problem that you posed previously. This is why people on OCnet bash Greeks that have less than perfect command of English without asking for clarification first (whether the particular Greek is a weirdo or not). This is my theory and I would like to warn Akimori not to read this if he has eaten anything, since the probability of regurgitation is quite high: Greeks are inherently cute and some Greeks try to hide this fact. People that bash Greeks on OCnet do not utter Ahhhhh... when they see a puppy and they possibly favor Man's adorable serial killers, CATS. Those that do say Ahhhhh... when confronted with a puppy do well in Greek Orthodox churches in the USofA. Those that don't, do not.  With proper funding I could prove this, but since I am not always right, only the rich with money to spare should consider this option.

The second misplaced attitude that causes Greek-bashing is the notion that other cultures must be separated from Greeks in order to be another culture. This may be a USofA phenomenon, since I only know Greeks in the USofA. This notion stems from the propensity of Greeks here to consider members of the Eastern Orthodox Church as Greeks. You are automatically assimilated whether you like it or not. But their attitude is logical in some respects. To be Greek is to be Orthodox and therefore to be Orthodox means you are Greek. You can argue against this, but to do so is to argue against why a puppy is cute or not. Underneath it all it is a beautiful notion, you are part of our family so to speak.

I hope that if Constantine XII is an innocent poster, that the disparagement and animosity and quotable quotes (yes I noticed) be directed against me instead. This somewhat silly post should provide the fodder that you desire.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2012, 11:52:43 PM »

Thank you Biro, I was hoping there was as simpler solution like [img size=50] [/img size]. I do have a photobucket-like account from a couple of years ago, I just need to remember what it was and how to log in.

You can use:

Code:
[img width=SizeInPixels][/img]

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2012, 11:54:27 PM »

Code:
[img width=100]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0yb0qFLUl1qg0umko1_1280.jpg[/img]

Generates this:

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2012, 11:56:41 PM »

You can also use the HEIGHT attribute instead of or with the WIDTH attribute.

Back to the thread.

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2012, 12:09:40 AM »

You can also use the HEIGHT attribute instead of or with the WIDTH attribute.

Back to the thread.

Thanks Orthonorm, that is the easy solution I was looking for. I probably would not have posted it if it were not for the Princess's beautiful eyes.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2012, 12:12:09 AM »

It's sad how everyone piled on him.

I love Greece and have met many wonderful Greek people there and in the diaspora.

There's nothing wrong with loving one's country and being concerned for the protection of one's culture, especially in a world of rapid globalization and societal change so beyond even the control of governments.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2012, 12:15:10 AM »

use a smaller camera

This is precisely the problem that you posed previously. This is why people on OCnet bash Greeks that have less than perfect command of English without asking for clarification first (whether the particular Greek is a weirdo or not). This is my theory and I would like to warn Akimori not to read this if he has eaten anything, since the probability of regurgitation is quite high: Greeks are inherently cute and some Greeks try to hide this fact. People that bash Greeks on OCnet do not utter Ahhhhh... when they see a puppy and they possibly favor Man's adorable serial killers, CATS. Those that do say Ahhhhh... when confronted with a puppy do well in Greek Orthodox churches in the USofA. Those that don't, do not.  With proper funding I could prove this, but since I am not always right, only the rich with money to spare should consider this option.

The second misplaced attitude that causes Greek-bashing is the notion that other cultures must be separated from Greeks in order to be another culture. This may be a USofA phenomenon, since I only know Greeks in the USofA. This notion stems from the propensity of Greeks here to consider members of the Eastern Orthodox Church as Greeks. You are automatically assimilated whether you like it or not. But their attitude is logical in some respects. To be Greek is to be Orthodox and therefore to be Orthodox means you are Greek. You can argue against this, but to do so is to argue against why a puppy is cute or not. Underneath it all it is a beautiful notion, you are part of our family so to speak.

I hope that if Constantine XII is an innocent poster, that the disparagement and animosity and quotable quotes (yes I noticed) be directed against me instead. This somewhat silly post should provide the fodder that you desire.

Its late, I'm exhausted and need sleep. but when i read what you wrote i heard a woooosh sound over my head. (I'm saying its over my head, i don't understand what u r trying to say).
I just want to say sorry if it offended you? i was just making a silly little joke.
maybe i will read this tomorrow and it will make sense to me. gotta get some sleep, goodnight.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2012, 12:16:18 AM »

There's nothing wrong with loving one's country and being concerned for the protection of one's culture, especially in a world of rapid globalization and societal change so beyond even the control of governments.

LOL. No one has a problem with that...I think most of us (certainly I) support the protection and love of our nations' culture.

Well, except Iconodule and Orthonorm...but they are extreme wackos.

I just didn't like how they said Greece has given the world everything, I think when you say your culture is better than everyone else, that is too far.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 12:17:22 AM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2012, 12:18:33 AM »

Probably. I would shake the dust from my sandals and depart these environs were I he.

Americans: The snotty Parisians of the Internet. (Well, some people here, not being Americans, show how American they are by their actions.) This thread has continued like one long, unnecessary but astronomically expensive war.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2012, 12:22:28 AM »

LOL. No one has a problem with that...I think most of us (certainly I) support the protection and love of our nations' culture.

I just didn't like how they said Greece has given the world everything, I think when you say your culture is better than everyone else, that is too far.

I agree with that. But there wasn't an attempt to see where he was coming from with that. Also I think, in that he was a new poster and not proclaiming himself to be God, that he could have been given the benefit of the doubt of just some toleration. In the South, the phrase "bless your heart" has a good double meaning that could sum up a better approach at least until such time as a poster starts publishing tracts. Constantine appeared not to be that sort, but instead a real person here to meet and intereact with other Orthodox Christians.

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2012, 12:54:09 AM »

use a smaller camera

Its late, I'm exhausted and need sleep. but when i read what you wrote i heard a woooosh sound over my head. (I'm saying its over my head, i don't understand what u r trying to say).
I just want to say sorry if it offended you? i was just making a silly little joke.
maybe i will read this tomorrow and it will make sense to me. gotta get some sleep, goodnight.

Rest peaceably dear Nikolaos, I posted because I appreciated your posts. I thought your comment was cute which I used as a springboard for a post which perhaps only makes sense to me. I blame learning French during that late 60's and early 70's for your incomprehension.
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2012, 01:44:42 AM »

Aw, don't I make the list?  Sad

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2012, 10:36:18 AM »

In the South, the phrase "bless your heart" has a good double meaning that could sum up a better approach at least until such time as a poster starts publishing tracts.

In Louisiana that phrase is used as an endearing way to say you are stupid. laugh

Please don't go on that list. Tongue
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 10:38:21 AM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2012, 11:08:58 AM »

Although Norway's flag is a lot cooler

Nothing beats the original.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
JR
Elder

Faith: No idea
Jurisdiction: Athens

« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2012, 01:53:28 PM »

WOW what a thread.

Welcome to the forum Constantine, I must say I am not sure what you are really talking about in your op.

I also live in Athens though I am not a Greek.

Some of the Greeks can be a bit weary at first, they have always been nice and polite to me, in fact most of the time they take advantage to practice their English with me, especially in the supermarkets.

The γριά are always smiling and greeting me in the Orthodox Church that I go to, and some of them are proud to have a foreigner there.

In my church there is an American who is married to a Greek girl, A Girl from South Africa, and myself British.

I agree the Greeks can be a bit impatient with the Americans, but what you have described is a different Athens from where I live, see and experience.

The only trouble I am weary of is Golden Dawn because my wife is from the Philippines, but while we are out together she is very safe.

I really don't like the fact that some of our clergy is blessing Golden Dawn and I find that outrages.

It was a European law that scrapped the need to have your church status on the ID cards, not the state.

Greece is a fantastic country, with a wonderful culture, and a beautiful state church, I am myself a Greek Orthodox Christian and proud of that.

Greece is like every country I know and has its far share of Good and bad.

don't feel to down about your country or faith, it will eventually get back on it's feet again.

Peace in Christ

JR

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them".

Mother Teresa
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2012, 03:59:17 PM »

Welcome!

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2012, 05:43:24 PM »

In the South, the phrase "bless your heart" has a good double meaning that could sum up a better approach at least until such time as a poster starts publishing tracts.

In Louisiana that phrase is used as an endearing way to say you are stupid. laugh

I was the one who initially pointed out how racist everyone was being in Random Postings!

Constantine XII

« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2012, 08:54:49 PM »

Too many answers, too many topics in this thread. I cannot answer to all.

1) I want to thanks everyone who has welcomed me.

2) I want to invite everybody who wants we do beautiful discussions with pm. I have already 3 members who has sent pm and we keep in touch.

A beautiful image about writing systems who shows how beautiful is the small Greece:

And a beautiful song for Anti - Greeks:

FOR THE GLORY OF HELLAS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr00QE1uLU8

Thank you all.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 08:55:48 PM by Constantine XII » Logged

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2012, 09:02:25 PM »

Greece is indeed beautiful, but what does that have to do with the map you posted, which is on writing systems around the world?

Constantine XII

« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2012, 09:06:36 PM »

Greece is indeed beautiful, but what does that have to do with the map you posted, which is on writing systems around the world?

This is something more general than writings systems. I want to show you how different is Greece (and Greek people) than the rest world. How difficult is to control us.

I am against globalization and I believe that only Greece and Greeks can save the world - humanity about this plan.

Again, only Greeks can make the difference. The story is repeated.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 09:24:23 PM by Constantine XII » Logged

Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2012, 09:54:59 PM »

Too many answers, too many topics in this thread. I cannot answer to all.

1) I want to thanks everyone who has welcomed me.

2) I want to invite everybody who wants we do beautiful discussions with pm. I have already 3 members who has sent pm and we keep in touch.

A beautiful image about writing systems who shows how beautiful is the small Greece:

And a beautiful song for Anti - Greeks:

FOR THE GLORY OF HELLAS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr00QE1uLU8

Thank you all.

Nice video Constantine XII.
I was born in Athens and my father is Spartan and my mother is Cretan..........maybe that's why i like it!?

Makes me proud to be Greek, i was not always.

here is one i like....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2CDm95QBXs

BTW: someone mentioned the organisation, Golden Dawn on here. i researched them a little. they sound hard core (i like) could be just what Greece needs right now.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2012, 10:22:41 PM »

BTW: someone mentioned the organisation, Golden Dawn on here. i researched them a little. they sound hard core (i like) could be just what Greece needs right now.

Are you serious?
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2012, 10:31:56 PM »

Are you serious?

Nikolaostheservant, be careful what you wish for.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2012, 10:37:13 PM »

This talk of fighting the invaders from the North and/or attacking the Turks is plain silly. It seems to me that some Greeks are acting out of frustration. That said, it is not a good thing to provoke the Turks. The last time I checked they far outnumber the Greeks and have one of the best armed forces in the world. Greeks are more like Italians: lovers and not fighters. There is nothing wrong with that; in my three years in Italy, I heard this from Italians themselves repeatedly--they were and I assume are now quite proud of that. Getting back to the subject at hand, there is nothing wrong with being patriotic but baiting your eternal enemy may be a case of terminal stupidity.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2012, 10:37:26 PM »

Humanity will be saved by its only Savior, Jesus Christ. Many will be surprised when he comes, thinking they had done his will. "Lord, did we not cast out demons in your name?" But, though they had wrapped themselves in the Cross, in that day it will be their undoing. Woe to those who take the Cross for a stardard and are not crucified to their passions, to worldliness, and to humanist utopianism.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2012, 10:41:36 PM »

This talk of fighting the invaders from the North and/or attacking the Turks is plain silly. It seems to me that some Greeks are acting out of frustration. That said, it is not a good thing to provoke the Turks. The last time I checked they far outnumber the Greeks and have one of the best armed forces in the world. Greeks are more like Italians: lovers and not fighters. There is nothing wrong with that; in my three years in Italy, I heard this from Italians themselves repeatedly--they were and I assume are now quite proud of that. Getting back to the subject at hand, there is nothing wrong with being patriotic but baiting your eternal enemy may be a case of terminal stupidity.

Indeed. Remember the Great Idea, that wasn't. Besides, Greek plans to take back the City have traditionally involved the operation of Russia. And Russia doesn't always do what she is expected to do, particularly by those who put their hope in her.

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2012, 10:45:28 PM »

Humanity will be saved by its only Savior, Jesus Christ.

Amen. I hesitate to type too much more because I don't want to sound like I'm against our Greek friend, but this was my initial reaction to claims that "only Greeks can make the difference"...  Undecided

Nobody's nationality or contributions to humankind will save them.

Constantine XII

« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2012, 10:54:21 PM »

Nice video Constantine XII.
I was born in Athens and my father is Spartan and my mother is Cretan..........maybe that's why i like it!?

Makes me proud to be Greek, i was not always.

here is one i like....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2CDm95QBXs

Athens vs Sparta. Which side do you prefer? I prefer Sparta because ... they won and because my roots are from Messinia. I have found my genealogical tree from 1765 in Messinia.

About Golden Dawn. I do not know if they are good, but I think they belong to Greek Mafia. Greek Mafia is a new Mafia and I believe they have very big power... If I have to choose between Jews and Greek Mafia, I prefer Greek Mafia.

And a few good videos for you:

1) ΛΟΚ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJSWYsEzCPY (GREEK)

2) Macedonia was, is and always will be Greek, Greek, Greek, Greek....: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn2h2Vm1lz8 (ENGLISH)

3) Lightnings and thunderbolts want to cut you... Big dogs (Europeans) want to eat you ... again ... and again ... and again ... We fought. We joined in battles. We won... We are in top of knowledge in humanity... We are back after 400 years under Turks.... My motherland Greece.... How much I love you? Song by Notis Sfakianakis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbiVAb5TtOE (GREEK)

4) A video about Parthenon, the greatest cultural monument in the humanity. Greek government turns the light off, after 02:00 am.

With background the monument, which they turn off at 2 o' clock, because the art of gods breaks the piazza down.

They turn the switch off, but I remind them, when the sun rises, Parthenon shines.

Knowledge and truth can go us in Ancient times again, in the level of Ancient Greeks.

They gave us light, and when Parthenon is dark, all the humanity has a responsibility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4HxG6iMUtc (GREEK)

4) And a video about Greek diaspora. In this forum too many Greeks outside of Greece exist. They must see this video. The humanity has only one problem... It is called Greece: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj3msbbIgPA (GREEK)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 11:08:58 PM by Constantine XII » Logged

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2012, 11:58:38 PM »

I believe I can come up with some quotes by Winston Churchill which disagrees with your estimation of the Greeks. I'm more than surprised at you here.

akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2012, 12:14:20 AM »

Humanity will be saved by its only Savior, Jesus Christ. Many will be surprised when he comes, thinking they had done his will. "Lord, did we not cast out demons in your name?" But, though they had wrapped themselves in the Cross, in that day it will be their undoing. Woe to those who take the Cross for a stardard and are not crucified to their passions, to worldliness, and to humanist utopianism.

Amen, amen. Maranatha.

That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #98 on: November 05, 2012, 12:15:39 AM »

This just keeps getting better. Smiley

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2012, 12:22:02 AM »

This is awesome.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #100 on: November 05, 2012, 12:43:28 AM »

I agree, they should not be provoking the enemy, that's just stupid. it should definitely be a covert operation, and the attack should be sudden.

also regarding what i said abt golden dawn~~i don't know much abt them, but they definitely have a few things correct.

and Greeks being lovers not fighters........Definitly the opposite is true.

we are lovers, don't get me wrong, but we are fighters first and formost!  Check out our Greek history.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2012, 02:20:18 AM »

I was the one who initially pointed out how racist everyone was being in Random Postings!

No one was being racist. I'll go buy a dictionary for you.

Racism - a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism

FYI, wanting to slow down immigration a little bit to protect your nation's culture is not racism. You cannot make up your own definition to things you know. No one ever said "let's get rid of immigrants or immigration"...I do not think it is wrong to ask immigrants to (ex.) Norway to learn Norwegian and adopt some local customs (while keeping and passing on their own with their family). You have no freaking idea how bad it is because you are not there and do not witness the situation.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 02:27:28 AM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #102 on: November 05, 2012, 04:25:51 AM »

This just keeps getting better. Smiley

Indeed. I wonder is his last name Portokalos.

Propably not, he lacks his style.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 04:26:10 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Taxiarches

« Reply #103 on: November 05, 2012, 07:05:31 PM »

I believe I can come up with some quotes by Winston Churchill which disagrees with your estimation of the Greeks. I'm more than surprised at you here.

Professional judgment (26 years in the USAF). Regarding the great Mr. Churchill, please do remember two things: (a) he was fatally wrong in the Gallipoli campaign and (b) the Greek and UK royal houses were related, which may have caused him to cheer for the Greeks.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #104 on: November 05, 2012, 07:45:06 PM »

Professional judgment (26 years in the USAF). Regarding the great Mr. Churchill, please do remember two things: (a) he was fatally wrong in the Gallipoli campaign and (b) the Greek and UK royal houses were related, which may have caused him to cheer for the Greeks.

Then in your professional past I am sure you read of the Greek participation in the British evacuation of Crete in WWII and, of course, the Greek resistance to the Italians necessitating the Germans diverting troops to Greece and throwing Hitler's Russian campaign off to the point that it was doomed.
As to post WWI - Greeks would have whipped the Turks but the Brits pulled support.

I agree things are different today, but both countries are NATO members and NATO supplied and I doubt war between them would be tolerated by the organization anyway.

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2012, 08:36:21 PM »

Greek Family Values

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XV2LVgaCT4&feature=relmfu

Forgive my sins.
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2012, 09:32:13 PM »

Americans: The snotty Parisians of the Internet. (Well, some people here, not being Americans, show how American they are by their actions.) This thread has continued like one long, unnecessary but astronomically expensive war.
laugh well said!

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2012, 11:57:33 PM »

I confess this turned out to be a really depressing thread. Nikolaostheservant, I really hope you have read more, it was your gullibility that disturbed me the most. Nuf Sed.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2012, 08:49:24 PM »

I confess this turned out to be a really depressing thread. Nikolaostheservant, I really hope you have read more, it was your gullibility that disturbed me the most. Nuf Sed.

Yes i have read more.
Im assuming you are referring to the "golden dawn".
Two words comes to mind abt them "Fascist" and "Neo-Nazi".

Sometimes one just needs a little more time to research the subject.
Above where i spoke abt them all i had read is they are helping the Greek ppl get food and clothing, addressing the immigration problem and providing help when the police cant.
i had nor realised that they beat immigrants and the police look the other way--i had not realised that they extort $$ and supplies from the people they help--i had not realised they are......neo-Nazis Fascist in the purest form. taking advantage of ppl who have no other choice but to take there help!
and to use your term "Nuf Said"!
tnx for your concern,eventually i get there.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #109 on: November 13, 2012, 01:12:30 AM »

Yes i have read more.

Above where i spoke abt them all i had read is they are helping the Greek ppl get food and clothing, addressing the immigration problem and providing help when the police cant.
i had nor realised that they beat immigrants and the police look the other way--i had not realised that they extort $$ and supplies from the people they help--i had not realised they are......neo-Nazis Fascist in the purest form. taking advantage of ppl who have no other choice but to take there help!

Thank you for the joy you have given me Nikolaos. Yes I was concerned and I do care about you. You do Him honor, Nikolaos, and you honor our ancestors who died fighting against this mentality.

akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #110 on: November 13, 2012, 01:15:25 AM »

Yes i have read more.

Thank you for the joy you have given me Nikolaos. Yes I was concerned and I do care about you. You do Him honor, Nikolaos, and you honor our ancestors who died fighting against this mentality.

+1

An encouraging exchange.

Taxiarches

« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2012, 12:42:49 PM »

Then in your professional past I am sure you read of the Greek participation in the British evacuation of Crete in WWII and, of course, the Greek resistance to the Italians necessitating the Germans diverting troops to Greece and throwing Hitler's Russian campaign off to the point that it was doomed.
As to post WWI - Greeks would have whipped the Turks but the Brits pulled support.

I agree things are different today, but both countries are NATO members and NATO supplied and I doubt war between them would be tolerated by the organization anyway.

Except for the US, UK and Turkey, NATO is a toothless tiger. The Russians are not yet strong enough to do anything. So, it boils down to what the US/UK would do if war broke out between Greece and Turkey. If Greece attacks Turkey, I do not think that she would have any friend, to include Russia and the UK. Aside for diplomatic efforts, I do not see anyone coming to the aid of Greece, unless the conflict is especially damaging to the civilian population and takes longer than couple of weeks. I just do not see the Turks attacking the Greeks without some great provocation--like the way Cyprus started.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #112 on: November 15, 2012, 08:50:46 PM »

I thought Jesus was a Jew...

If your question is why they hate Hellenism (general talking), the reason is very simple. If you have understood Greek civilization, you cannot become a@@hole. You cannot become gay...

Really?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b4/Art_gr%C3%A8cia.jpg

picture can be considered indecent

I guess he never heard of the position of the Rear Admiral of the Greek Navy. Up periscope!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #113 on: November 16, 2012, 12:20:14 AM »

I guess he never heard of the position of the Rear Admiral of the Greek Navy. Up periscope!

Since Constantine XII (Porphyrogenitos) hasn't posted for 10 days, what are you  referring to here? A link will do. I am sure there is back story or you would not have been so cryptic. I am not a cat and therefore there is no reason for worry. I agree the phrasing of this request is awkward but  I am too lazy today to fix it.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #114 on: December 01, 2012, 01:27:07 AM »

The posts regarding Golden Dawn have been moved to Politics.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=48343.0
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 01:28:14 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Warned
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2012, 07:22:36 AM »

I don't understand where you get any "arrogance" from anything in their posts. These Greeks are proud of who they are and where they come from, something in these days has become some kind of International "thought crime", no one can have any kind of ultra patriotic or ethnic pride, everything has to be all all encompassing globalism or diversified, anyone who speaks otherwise is a threat to the internationalist agenda. The Greeks have a very proud and distinct history and heritage, which used to be an asset for a culture at one time but now the proponents of the  holier than thou new religion of "multiculturalism" looks snobbily down on the Hellenists as "intolerant" and "insular". The irony here is the ones crying about "tolerance" are about as intolerant as you can get.

I applaud these Greeks who are proud of their culture and wish to preserve it.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Constantine XII

« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2012, 07:44:39 AM »

Thank you. And an article in Greek language with title: The worldwide civilization is Greek. http://http---ellinon-anava.pblogs.gr/2012/12/dr-karl-wilhelm-weeber-o-politismos-ehei-ellhnikh-katagwgh.html

And a book written by Jew Joseph Yahuda in English language with title: Hebrew is Greek http://www.amazon.com/Hebrew-Greek-Joseph-Yahuda/dp/0728900130
Hebrew language is derived from Greek language... If you want the book in pdf, send me pm.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 07:45:12 AM by Constantine XII » Logged

jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2012, 08:02:46 AM »

And a book written by Jew Joseph Yahuda in English language with title: Hebrew is Greek http://www.amazon.com/Hebrew-Greek-Joseph-Yahuda/dp/0728900130
Hebrew language is derived from Greek language... If you want the book in pdf, send me pm.

No, it's really not. They aren't even in the same linguistic family. Every country seems to produce these crackpot ideas based on nationalistic nonsense, whether it's British Israelism, or Nicolae Densusianu with his weird ideas of Dacia being the origin of European civilisations. If you take the time to actually learn something of linguistics you'll be able to dismiss this obvious nonsense and yet, guess what, you can (and should) still be proud of your country. There is enough to proud of in Greek history without making rubbish up.

The worry I have about your posts in this thread is that you go so far as to make me wonder if, were I to meet you, you might make me feel as though you don't think I, an English born, ethnically mixed, convert in the Romanian Orthodox Church can ever really be Orthodox enough, simply because I am not Greek. I hope not but, sadly, I can't say you'd be the first Greek to give me that impression.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2012, 08:04:49 AM »

Thank you. And an article in Greek language with title: The worldwide civilization is Greek. http://http---ellinon-anava.pblogs.gr/2012/12/dr-karl-wilhelm-weeber-o-politismos-ehei-ellhnikh-katagwgh.html

Joseph Yahuda must have stolen his idea from the father in My Big Fat Greek WeddingRoll Eyes
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2012, 09:09:56 AM »

I laughed.

-Samuel Coleridge
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2012, 02:55:48 PM »

No, it's really not. They aren't even in the same linguistic family. Every country seems to produce these crackpot ideas based on nationalistic nonsense, whether it's British Israelism, or Nicolae Densusianu with his weird ideas of Dacia being the origin of European civilisations. If you take the time to actually learn something of linguistics you'll be able to dismiss this obvious nonsense and yet, guess what, you can (and should) still be proud of your country. There is enough to proud of in Greek history without making rubbish up.

The worry I have about your posts in this thread is that you go so far as to make me wonder if, were I to meet you, you might make me feel as though you don't think I, an English born, ethnically mixed, convert in the Romanian Orthodox Church can ever really be Orthodox enough, simply because I am not Greek. I hope not but, sadly, I can't say you'd be the first Greek to give me that impression.

James
Having lived amongst the Greeks I don't know about "orthodox" but you probably won't ever be Greek enough for them.   Wink

And I don't know about Hebrew coming out of the Greek, that's a bit of a stretch . But what do I know? It's all Greek to me.  Grin

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2012, 03:07:24 PM »

That fat drunk was wrong about a lot of things and those limeys were lucky that Hitler was so "nice" at Dunkirk to let them cross the Channel to fight another day. As for the Greeks, they are historically tenacious fighters, they could more than hold their own against a few Turks.

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #122 on: December 07, 2012, 10:37:29 AM »

I don't understand where you get any "arrogance" from anything in their posts. These Greeks are proud of who they are and where they come from, something in these days has become some kind of International "thought crime", no one can have any kind of ultra patriotic or ethnic pride, everything has to be all all encompassing globalism or diversified, anyone who speaks otherwise is a threat to the internationalist agenda. The Greeks have a very proud and distinct history and heritage, which used to be an asset for a culture at one time but now the proponents of the  holier than thou new religion of "multiculturalism" looks snobbily down on the Hellenists as "intolerant" and "insular". The irony here is the ones crying about "tolerance" are about as intolerant as you can get.

Honestly, did you even read the thread before posting?
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #123 on: December 07, 2012, 10:31:11 PM »

Honestly, did you even read the thread before posting?
Umm....yes.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: