OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 02:03:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholic Who Wants to Convert to Orthodoxy  (Read 825 times) Average Rating: 0
TeutonicSteel

Faith: Catholic Considering Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Unknown

« on: November 02, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »

As of now, I am a Roman Catholic, but I am interested in converting to Orthodox Christianity. My question is, why should I convert? Please, give me a list of reasons why I should convert, as well as a list of benefits that Orthodoxy has to offer. Thank you.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »

It would help to have your reasons for thinking about leaving Rome behind firstly. Im kind of confused as to this:

as well as a list of benefits that Orthodoxy has to offer.
No offense, its not like leaving a job or switching insurance companies.

Why are you thinking of leaving Rome?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
TeutonicSteel

Faith: Catholic Considering Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Unknown

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 05:29:00 PM »

It would help to have your reasons for thinking about leaving Rome behind firstly. Im kind of confused as to this:

PP

It is little hard to explain, but something feels "empty" about the Roman church. Plus, there are many other things I have a problem with, such as papal primacy, priestly scandals, and her blatant hypocrisy. For instance, many Catholics whine like little babies when they are criticised and deem their critics "anti-Catholic", yet the church has the nerve to claim she is the "true church" and all those who are not in communion with her will tormented for eternity in hell. Plus, I am growing incresingly uncomfortable with the Marian apparitions, especially after reading this article http://orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/marian_apparitions.aspx.

I apologize, since I was not clear.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 05:34:08 PM »

He's not leaving. He's returning to her pristine purity.  Such is the benefits of Orthodoxy.

Btw, Papal primacy isn't a problem, but Papal supremacy is.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 05:38:35 PM »

It should be made clear to you that if you convert to the Orthodox Church, you will also find the position that she (the Orthodox Church, and not any other) is the "one true Church" very much in evidence, as that is indeed the stance taken by the Church (however, without saying that those who are not in communion with her are going to hell; but then I don't remember that from when I was RC either, so perhaps you were taught something different than I was).

Outside of that, what would say you are looking for in Orthodoxy that you do not find in Roman Catholicism? I do not mean to be discouraging, but a general feeling of "emptiness" could just as well persist upon conversion to Orthodoxy if you find yourself ultimately having converted away from Catholicism rather than to Orthodoxy (I hope you understand the distinction I'm making here).

choy
Archon

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 05:59:19 PM »

Why don't you just come to Orthodox Liturgy without the pressure of converting?  Come and experience.  Talk to the people, talk to the priest, ask questions.  If you are not convinced you should convert, then don't.  If you don't have a reason to convert, then don't.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 06:00:39 PM »

Well, let me give you my little story and see if it helps.

I was raised Lutheran (Missouri synod if it matters) but was forced to attend a Baptist Church after my father passed, and we moved in the middle of the night to VA (which is a great story in-and-of-itself) but I digress. Eventually, I was a missionary to Eastern Europe as a teenager, and was specifically trained to proselytize Orthodox Christians to Evangelicalism. However, in the Orthodox Church I saw a clarity of faith, and a "credibility" it her claim to be the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church. However, as a teenager, I wasnt ready to face it yet.

Fast forward 15 or so years and I began to re-question my faith. I remember me learning in Lutheran School, and later in various churches that the "protestant" way was the faith of the original Christians, and that there had been a return and a restoration of the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church. However I had major concerns about that teaching in light of history (which I studied intensely since my younger days). So I began searching and learning more and I remembered my adventures in Russia and Romania, and the Czech Republic, among others, and what I witnessed as I stood in front of St. Basil's in Moscow, and Almudena Cathedral in Madrid, Spain (where I also spent a summer). I began looking into the historical roots of Christianity and looked into Roman Catholicism and found that her claims about being the original church rang empty (sorry Papist and Jmike, you know I love ya Wink ) I read about the claims of Papal Supremacy and Original Sin and really didnt see it in the teaching of the Apostles and their successors. Only in Orthodoxy did I see what the Church was, and what it should be.

It wasnt the Church of a bookish or legalistic God, but the living breathing body of Christ. It most certainly wasn't the Church of Luther, or the do-anything-you-want church of the "magical prayer". It was a Church where the members of it lived the mysteries and the sacraments. I found my home.

Now this might not help you, but to me, dont leave if you want to "feel" better, or if you "admire" Orthodoxy. I looked into Orthodoxy and saw in it the faith handed to the Apostles from Christ, and whom in turn handed it down to the present day. We've got our blemishes, to be sure, but its still the Church that can be traced all the way back to the beginning.

I hope this helps. I think you should find a local priest and tell him your concerns.

Dont expect anything. These feeling might simply be endemic of a bigger issue for you spiritually. Make sure you're looking for the right reasons.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 06:06:33 PM »

Ask not what the church can do for you but ask what you can do for the church!  Wink Grin

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 09:53:54 PM »

As of now, I am a Roman Catholic, but I am interested in converting to Orthodox Christianity. My question is, why should I convert? Please, give me a list of reasons why I should convert, as well as a list of benefits that Orthodoxy has to offer. Thank you.

This sounds odd. "I'm interested in converting, but tell me why I should." Why do you want reasons? Have you not found a reason yourself?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 09:56:59 PM »

PP

It is little hard to explain, but something feels "empty" about the Roman church. Plus, there are many other things I have a problem with, such as papal primacy, priestly scandals, and her blatant hypocrisy. For instance, many Catholics whine like little babies when they are criticised and deem their critics "anti-Catholic", yet the church has the nerve to claim she is the "true church" and all those who are not in communion with her will tormented for eternity in hell. Plus, I am growing incresingly uncomfortable with the Marian apparitions, especially after reading this article http://orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/marian_apparitions.aspx.

I apologize, since I was not clear.

Personally, I did not convert because of Orthodoxy's claims. People who have often don't stick around for very long. As for blatant hypocrisy, we have plenty of that, and other scandals.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 11:41:00 PM »

As an Orthodox convert of some 12 years now, coming from a Roman Catholic background of some 50+ years I think that I may be able to add some light to what is being asked.  I was born of a Roman Catholic Father and and a Lutheran Mother and baptised in an Episcopal church.  Mother died at an early age and my grandparents wanted me to be raised RC had me "conditionally" baptised Roman Catholic at the ripe old age of 4.  I went through 12 years of Parochial Education and entered the service and served 8 years in the United States Marine Corps.  My experience will always be cherished.   But something happened in the RCC that bothered me, bothered me so much that I started to to question what was happening. ( this was the time that VatII was happening and things were really getting pretty fuzzy theologically).   I attended Masses that had the priest facing the congregation, guitars, tamboreens, drums strumbing the songs (not hymns),  the sterilization of the Mass ( minimalism ), which led me to stray away from the normallization of Sunday services.  I started to investigate Protestantism, Evangelicalism, and Penticostalism.   None of these satisfied my appetite for the fullness of faith that I once experienced in the RCC.   I then looked into Eastern Orthodoxy and like a kick in the butt, I was astounded that there was still an Apostolic, fully Catholic Faith that existed that was contiguous from the Apostles that still held to the truths of Jesus Christ and from that moment I was hooked and I have never looked back. I am very involved in our church, Tonsured Reader, and I have served in the Executive positions of treasurer, Trustee, and now assistant warden.   I can not get enough to read about this wonderful faith . 

But thats just me.

Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 03:44:28 AM »

as well as a list of benefits that Orthodoxy has to offer. Thank you.
Truth, comfort, deep understanding of God and His grace, real old school tradition Cool...

Plus you get the extra perks like cool music, good food, etc.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 03:44:48 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 09:53:11 AM »

I can give you one reason: because if you attend the divine liturgy and services like Vespers, all night Vigil and Panihida (prayers for the dead) you will come to see that this is the one church that was founded by Lord Jesus Christ and began it`s life in the first parish of Jerusalem.

After discovering this, i handed my request into to be released from the catholic church (i converted in 2010, before i knew about Orthodoxy).
It feels like coming home and i am currently a catechumen in a russian orthodox parish (Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia) and have been attending in my parish since may 1st. It has been a time of learning, understanding and growing in love and spirituality.

Attend services and think through how it makes you feel. Go easy, ask questions, talk to the priest-parishoners and read about orthodoxy.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 09:55:39 AM by Tommelomsky » Logged

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 10:10:42 AM »

I can give you one reason: because if you attend the divine liturgy and services like Vespers, all night Vigil and Panihida (prayers for the dead) you will come to see that this is the one church that was founded by Lord Jesus Christ and began it`s life in the first parish of Jerusalem.

I'm sorry but not all will feel that way. Please do not generalize your own experiences. Some might feel Byzantine rite services only as, say, outdated ethnic rituals and might feel disappointed if our services are advertised in a pompous way. And might never come back.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 10:13:16 AM by Alpo » Logged
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 10:12:17 AM »

Was not meant that way. Sorry if I offended anyone.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 10:12:37 AM by Tommelomsky » Logged

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 10:15:43 AM »

Was not meant that way. Sorry if I offended anyone.

I don't think you offended anyone. I certainly wasn't. Smiley
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 10:45:08 AM »

"The Orthodox Church is evangelical, but not Protestant. It is orthodox, but not Jewish. It is catholic, but not Roman (papal). It isn't non-denominational - it is pre-denominational. It has believed, taught, preserved, defended and died for the Faith of the Apostles since the Day of Pentecost 2000 years ago"

Plus: Orthodoxy is the best to salvation, because you can participate there in the true Body and Blood of our God, Jesus Christ; there is no heresies; there are not done any not needed changes;it's a challenge, Orthodoxy demands by prayer and fasting rules, so you can easier grow in faith and love and more control yourself.

I was Roman Catholic for a few years and I haven't found in Catholic Church all the things I've mentioned above

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
converted viking

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 05:51:48 PM »

I am not trying to sound like a wise guy here but seriously this sounds like you want an easy answer.   I think you ought to consider attending a Divine Liturgy, talk to an Orthodox priest and read some books about the Orthodox Church.  You sort of make it sound like you are considering membership in a country club.  Sorry to come off as harsh.

Seraphim
Tags: Catholicism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: