OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 03:30:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Protestant New Testament scholar converts into the Syriac Orthodox Church  (Read 1025 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« on: November 01, 2012, 10:42:42 PM »

Born into a Protestant family in East Germany, Andreas Juckel grew to love and adore the Syriac Orthodox Church and informed His Eminence Mor Cyril Aphrem Karim that he wanted to convert. On Sunday, October 14th, at St. Mark’s Cathedral in Teaneck, New Jersey, the Archbishop, in a very joyous ceremony, witnessed by several fellow Syriac Scholars and a Cathedral filled with our Syriac Orthodox faithful, His Eminence, at the foot of the altar, anointed and accepted Professor Juckel into the faith. Several Clergy and deacons of the Archdiocese, including the newly ordained Ewangeloyo George Kiraz, took part in the service.

http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/2012/10/protestant-new-testament-scholar-converts-into-the-syriac-orthodox-church/

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 11:14:58 PM »

Glory be to God!

Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 03:47:02 AM »

Glory be to God!

PS: Syriac vestments are so shiny. Especially the bishop's vestments are awesome.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 03:48:28 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 05:36:27 PM »

Sub7an Allah!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 05:37:20 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 05:48:15 PM »

Glory to Elohim!  angel

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 06:34:27 PM »

Paise God, again and again I see it the people who know the history convert to Orthodoxy.

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 06:50:03 PM »

Sub7an Allah!

Shouldn't this be shubhan Aloho or something like that? Grin
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 06:50:55 PM by dzheremi » Logged

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 07:48:55 PM »

Sub7an Allah!

Shouldn't this be shubhan Aloho or something like that? Grin

There you go. We should all speak Syriac. In Jacobite script. Wearing awesome Syriac vestments. Barekhmor.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 08:01:42 PM »

ܐܺܝܢ! See, this guy here gets it. Khaa 'Ita, Khaa Omta, Khaa Lishana, etc., etc. (And even if you can't speak it, you can listen to Evin Aghassi and the like and pick out a few words here and there...  Lips Sealed)

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 09:48:43 PM »

ܐܺܝܢ! See, this guy here gets it. Khaa 'Ita, Khaa Omta, Khaa Lishana, etc., etc. (And even if you can't speak it, you can listen to Evin Aghassi and the like and pick out a few words here and there...  Lips Sealed)

What's "Khaa 'Ita...etc.? It's not the Trisagion, is it? I have a recording of Liturgy from St. Mark's in Jerusalem (which I'm totally visiting next time) and they sing, IIRC, Qaddisha Allaha. I could be misremembering. I have West and East Syriac Liturgies, and they're each quite different. The West Syriac is easier on the ears. The East Syriac sounds like a drawn-out conversation between priest and deacon. The West Syriac has a lot of unison congregational singing--using, I assume, some of the same melodies written by St. Ephraim the Syrian.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Suryoyutho

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Suryoyo (Syriac)

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 03:09:49 AM »

I believe dzheremi is saying "khaya"? Khaya 'Ita = Long live the Church, Khaya Omta = Long live the nation, Khaya Lishana = Long live the language.

But that is east Syriac. In west Syriac it would be: Tihe 'Ito, Tihe Umto, Tihe Lishono.

And great news. Smiley

The Tur Abdin Timeline - A timeline of Tur Abdin (Syriac for "the Mountain of the Servants [of God]"), the heartland of the Syriac Orthodox Christians, a hilly region located in upper Mesopotamia, between the Tigris and Euphrates.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 06:13:40 AM »

I believe dzheremi is saying "khaya"? Khaya 'Ita = Long live the Church, Khaya Omta = Long live the nation, Khaya Lishana = Long live the language.

But that is east Syriac. In west Syriac it would be: Tihe 'Ito, Tihe Umto, Tihe Lishono.

And great news. Smiley

Are those different dialects or different languages?

sheenj
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 09:37:17 AM »

And great news. Smiley

Are those different dialects or different languages?

I'd say more on the dialect side.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 01:15:13 PM »

No, no...not 'Khaya', though I do know that word (it's one of the five or six that I do know  Wink)...according to "LearnAssyrian.com" (East Syriac lessons via songs, presentations, etc.), this is "one church, one nation, one language", as Evin Aghassi would like it to be in his songs.  Grin

I would prefer West Syriac, of course, but I know of no internet resources for that. I have a few print grammars for it, but wouldn't go searching my bookshelf just to post three or four words on the internet.

Indeed.

And great news.

Indeed (again, more so)!  Smiley

What's "Khaa 'Ita...etc.? It's not the Trisagion, is it? I have a recording of Liturgy from St. Mark's in Jerusalem (which I'm totally visiting next time) and they sing, IIRC, Qaddisha Allaha. I could be misremembering.

Yeah, that's about right. Like this: Qadishat Aloho, Qadishat Haylthono, Qadishat Lo Moyoutho. Then there's a short portion after that, "destlebt Hlofain ethraham al'ayn" or something like that ('who was crucified for us, have mercy on us'), because for the non-Chalcedonians this is a Christological hymn.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 01:32:13 PM by dzheremi » Logged

Suryoyutho

Jurisdiction: Suryoyo (Syriac)

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 07:00:53 AM »

As sheenj wrote, more on the dialect side.

dzheremi, ah, kha/one, I thought you missed an y between the two a:s. Smiley

Yes,

Qadishat Aloho
Qadishat hayelthono
Qadishat lo moyutho
destlebt hlofayn etraham 'layn

The Tur Abdin Timeline - A timeline of Tur Abdin (Syriac for "the Mountain of the Servants [of God]"), the heartland of the Syriac Orthodox Christians, a hilly region located in upper Mesopotamia, between the Tigris and Euphrates.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: