OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 05:14:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christian Old Testament By Lawrence R. Farley  (Read 795 times) Average Rating: 0
psalm110
Elder

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Orthodox Christian

« on: November 07, 2012, 07:32:01 AM »

Hi All,

Has anyone read this book or briefly heard about it - heres the link http://www.conciliarpress.com/products/The-Christian-Old-Testament.html
Many Christians see the Old Testament as “the other Testament”: a source of exciting stories to tell the kids, but not very relevant to the Christian life. The Christian Old Testament reveals the Hebrew Scriptures as the essential context of Christianity, as well as a many-layered revelation of Christ Himself. Follow along as Fr. Lawrence Farley explores the Christian significance of every book of the Old Testament.[/i

Are there any Orthodox Christian Commentary books on the Old Testament ?. I'd like to learn more about the Old Testament but from an Orthodox Christian Perspective ?.

Thanks
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 07:51:41 AM »

Fr. Farley is fantastic. I listened to his breakdown of I Peter last year and it was wonderful. Im gonna have to go pick that up.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
choy
Archon

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 11:00:15 AM »

Fr. Lawrence is going to be my priest.  Just sayin' Wink

He did write the entire Orthodox Study Bible Companion Series. He knows his stuff.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 03:37:31 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I want this book Smiley

That the Old Testament folks prefigure and are types for Christ is a crucial understanding of the text, and further brings each story into a greater context.  Further, we need to understand the Old Testament as a lineage, ancestry, and family tree for Our Savior Jesus Christ, and so to see Jesus Christ illustrated in the example of the Old Testament is a crucial insight. Through the Incarnation Christ became Man, and in mankind by Nature there is an equality, a mutuality.  So when Christ became Man, He became Abraham, He became Judah, He became Solomon, He became Jeremiah, and all these guys.

Peter Tosh said once, "You read in the Good Bible, and you read about David, and you read about Solomon, and you read about Isaiah, and you read about Jesus Christ, but all these things are just a fantasy painting of our reality."  The stories are real enough, but they by the Holy Spirit become allusions towards Jesus Christ, and therefore also each one of ourselves and our relationship with Him.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 03:39:53 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
psalm110
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 04:29:58 AM »

Thanks for your inputs : ).

Is there also any other Christian Orthodox Commentary that covers and breaks down each book of the Old Testament?.
psalm110
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 09:01:57 AM »

Does he quote the early church fathers by any chance when explaining certain verses or chapters ?.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: