OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 12:12:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars Episode 7: Set for 2015 Release  (Read 6751 times) Average Rating: 0
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2012, 02:51:15 PM »

Extended Universe  aficionado fan
<----------------- like this guy.

But admit it, you will still see the new flick and anticipate its release over the next three years or so! Just like folks have been waiting for the Hobbit and Star Trek 2 and the next Ironman flick...oh wait , I am in that group.......   Smiley
Fabio Leite
Warned
Archon

« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2012, 02:56:20 PM »

I new class of Jedi is coming to the Galaxy...

« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 02:59:40 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Go ma minions of modesty!
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2012, 03:05:58 PM »

Revisionists - the Imperial March is NOT Byzantine or even Slavic in origin!
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2012, 04:01:43 PM »

Working title : 'Revenge of the Holy Synod' No truth to the rumor that it is being filmed on location in NE Ohio though.....  Wink
Fabio Leite
Warned
Archon

« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2012, 04:39:10 PM »

Working title : 'Revenge of the Holy Synod' No truth to the rumor that it is being filmed on location in NE Ohio though.....  Wink

C'mon, they got blue light sabers, they are the good guys. Smiley

88Devin12
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOCA

« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2012, 04:46:54 PM »

I understand telling a better story bu they cannot simply revise the EU. Han and Leia do marry, Luke and Mara do marry and they have children, Chewy does die (eventually). They can't revise stuff like that.

If they plan on revising it I really hope there is enough protest that they scrap the plans completely.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 04:47:31 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2012, 04:51:07 PM »

I understand telling a better story bu they cannot simply revise the EU. Han and Leia do marry, Luke and Mara do marry and they have children, Chewy does die (eventually). They can't revise stuff like that.

If they plan on revising it I really hope there is enough protest that they scrap the plans completely.

Actually, yeah, they can revise to their hearts' content- just like Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars is no longer canon. And you know, given the quality of a lot of the later EU material, this Star Wars fan is perfectly fine with that. Unlike the Decalogue, the EU is not writ in stone.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2012, 04:53:40 PM »

Like History, movie scripts depend on the perspective of their author as to who is hero and who is villain.
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #98 on: November 01, 2012, 05:08:28 PM »

If they suggest Boba Fett is really dead in these films (if they're after ROTJ) then Star Wars is dead to me.

They can't do away with all EU since some of it is in the films like Dash Rendar's ship, and other characters.

Like I said, if they go all out revisionist on the EU, then I hope they die for ruining Star Wars.
Fabio Leite
Warned
Archon

« Reply #99 on: November 01, 2012, 05:22:40 PM »

Like History, movie scripts depend on the perspective of their author as to who is hero and who is villain.

Adequate soundtrack: Marche Slave - Tchaikovsky
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5poSw7tFLB4

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #100 on: November 01, 2012, 08:32:38 PM »

Old republic movies might be cool.

I've long said that KOTOR, KOTOR II, and the once-planned (until LucasArts scrapped it) KOTOR III would have made for an awesome Star Wars trilogy.
I agree. One of my favorite Star Wars Story lines. I was extremely disappointed when KOTOR III was dropped. I REALLY waned to know what happens next.

Go to wookiepedia and read the article on Revan, it will fill you in on the details (whether or not the details are the same as they'd have been if we got KOTOR III, I've no clue).

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #101 on: November 01, 2012, 08:33:22 PM »

Would love to see this movie.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #102 on: November 01, 2012, 08:37:13 PM »

If they suggest Boba Fett is really dead in these films (if they're after ROTJ) then Star Wars is dead to me.

They can't do away with all EU since some of it is in the films like Dash Rendar's ship, and other characters.

Like I said, if they go all out revisionist on the EU, then I hope they die for ruining Star Wars.

I'm not sure Lucas ever considered the EU to be canon anyway.

And Boba was dead since the sarlaac burped. Sorry. Wink
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 08:37:25 PM by age234 » Logged
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #103 on: November 01, 2012, 08:43:11 PM »

I've long said that KOTOR, KOTOR II, and the once-planned (until LucasArts scrapped it) KOTOR III would have made for an awesome Star Wars trilogy.
I agree. One of my favorite Star Wars Story lines. I was extremely disappointed when KOTOR III was dropped. I REALLY waned to know what happens next.

Go to wookiepedia and read the article on Revan, it will fill you in on the details (whether or not the details are the same as they'd have been if we got KOTOR III, I've no clue).

What happened to Revan is in the game Star Wars The Old Republic. They did an excellent job with that game EA is just a terrible company.
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2012, 08:45:13 PM »

No he wasn't dead, it takes thousands of years for it to digest something and Boba's jetpack and other gear was still on him.
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2012, 08:50:54 PM »

Star Wars canon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon#
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2012, 09:08:16 PM »

No he wasn't dead, it takes thousands of years for it to digest something

But it doesn't take thousands of years for someone to suffocate while trapped inside a monster's digestive system.

Who cares. Boba Fett is more interesting, the less you hear about him. Leave him in the ground.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2012, 09:17:36 PM »

What happened to Revan is in the game Star Wars The Old Republic. They did an excellent job with that game EA is just a terrible company.

My bro played it and did all the Revan quests.

I wish they would have made SWTOR for a console. Whichever company has the guts and know-how to make an MMO for consoles first will make a killing.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2012, 09:22:09 PM »

No he wasn't dead, it takes thousands of years for it to digest something

But it doesn't take thousands of years for someone to suffocate while trapped inside a monster's digestive system.

Who cares. Boba Fett is more interesting, the less you hear about him. Leave him in the ground.

I hate so-called "fans" like you guys. You're part of the reason the franchise is getting ruined!

Disney can go suck it, and shove all of the money they make up their backside for all I care. If they throw out all the EU, it isn't Star Wars and it isn't worth jack.

Throwing out the EU = crapping on all the fans, and basically means that buying all those games, books, magazines and comic books was absolutely worthless.

Like I said, Disney and Lucasfilms can die if they want to toss out all the EU.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2012, 09:25:16 PM »

Attempting to appease the fanboys who bought all the books, magazines, comic books, video games, lunch boxes, etc. is virtually a guarantee that the new movie would suck. What is needed are writers and directors who are not particularly in love with the Star Wars franchise and who have an idea of what makes good art and good space opera in general.

The new movie may very well suck but it won't be because it violates some sacred Star Wars canon.

88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #110 on: November 01, 2012, 09:26:08 PM »

They can also die if they decide to make it some little kid friendly, happy-go-lucky, Sesame Street, Barney, Jar-Jar Binks PG crap. I've already had to put up with one of my favorite TV shows ruined because of stupid little kids and being PG, I'm not going to have my all-time favorite franchise ruined because of Disney and stupid little kids.
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2012, 09:27:36 PM »

Attempting to appease the fanboys who bought all the books, magazines, comic books, video games, lunch boxes, etc. is virtually a guarantee that the new movie would suck. What is needed are writers and directors who are not particularly in love with the Star Wars franchise and who have an idea of what makes good art and good space opera in general.

The new movie may very well suck but it won't be because it violates some sacred Star Wars canon.

You're not a Star Wars fan, clearly. The books, magazines, comic books and the rest of the Expanded Universe is absolutely amazing, and would make for a great film! (minus the stupid emperor clone thing)
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2012, 09:31:28 PM »

You're not a Star Wars fan, clearly.

Taking into account the cataclysmic, manic butthurt that Star Wars fans have been feeling in the last 15 years, I count this as a blessing.

88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2012, 09:34:56 PM »

You're not a Star Wars fan, clearly.

Taking into account the cataclysmic, manic butthurt that Star Wars fans have been feeling in the last 15 years, I count this as a blessing.

Between George Lucas nearly screwing up the entire franchise by his "revisions" and additions; Sony Online totally screwing up one of the best games ever (SWG), EA Games nearly killing another great game (SWTOR), and many other things, we have been severely abused and should be respected more.

The real Star Wars fans out there are just being slapped around for our money and I'm sick and tired of people who are only nominal fans trying to completely screw up the entire franchise.

They need to put real fans, fans who know the EU to contribute to the films, and not nominal idiots who have only seen the films and nothing else.
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #114 on: November 01, 2012, 09:37:33 PM »

They can also die if they decide to make it some little kid friendly, happy-go-lucky, Sesame Street, Barney, Jar-Jar Binks PG crap. I've already had to put up with one of my favorite TV shows ruined because of stupid little kids and being PG, I'm not going to have my all-time favorite franchise ruined because of Disney and stupid little kids.

I'm sorry, sir, but Star Wars is all about "stupid little kids."

We had the Ewoks, and the Ewoks are awesome.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2012, 09:40:20 PM »

They need to put real fans, fans who know the EU to contribute to the films, and not nominal idiots who have only seen the films and nothing else.

Or maybe, instead of getting someone who spends all his time reading Star Wars comic books and fan fiction, get someone who saw the films but spent more time reading Milton, Dante, Homer, etc. That is, if you want a movie that isn't really dumb.

88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2012, 09:42:05 PM »

Actually it isn't, there are some nods like 3P0, R2, Ewoks & Gungans (the last one can go away, or die of genocide for all I care). The majority of it, especially Ep. 3 are gritty and much more adult.

The new movies should be more gritty, dark and, as I've said, tied (at least somewhat) into the Expanded Universe.

If they kill off Han, Luke, Leia or any other character (except Chewy, he can die like in the EU) then I'm finished with Star Wars.

If they refuse to make the movies like they should, then as I said, I hope the entire franchise collapses and Disney suffers tremendous financial loss so that future generations won't have to suffer from a screwed up, destroyed Star Wars series. It would be better for the whole thing to die now than for idiots to try to revise and scrap everything.
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2012, 09:52:32 PM »

Actually it isn't, there are some nods like 3P0, R2, Ewoks & Gungans (the last one can go away, or die of genocide for all I care). The majority of it, especially Ep. 3 are gritty and much more adult.

The new movies should be more gritty, dark and, as I've said, tied (at least somewhat) into the Expanded Universe.

If they kill off Han, Luke, Leia or any other character (except Chewy, he can die like in the EU) then I'm finished with Star Wars.

If they refuse to make the movies like they should, then as I said, I hope the entire franchise collapses and Disney suffers tremendous financial loss so that future generations won't have to suffer from a screwed up, destroyed Star Wars series. It would be better for the whole thing to die now than for idiots to try to revise and scrap everything.

Episodes II (maybe- if being "adult" means being a snoozefest until Yoda pulls his lightsaber), III, and Empire are not enough to constitute a "majority".

As for the new movies, I would REJOICE if they jettison the EU. If it wasn't written by Zahn, Anderson (and even then, he was pretty hit or miss), or Stackpole it really wasn't worth reading anyway.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 09:53:11 PM by FormerReformer » Logged

Fabio Leite
Warned
Archon

« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2012, 10:04:55 PM »

Lucas had called only Hamill and Fisher to discuss 7, 8 and 9. Even now, there are discussions if Harrison Ford should return since he is the oldest of the group and Indiana IV did not go that well. It seems that, as of now, we would go with an old experienced Luke, and a widowed Leia.

88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #119 on: November 01, 2012, 10:06:14 PM »

Or maybe, instead of getting someone who spends all his time reading Star Wars comic books and fan fiction, get someone who saw the films but spent more time reading Milton, Dante, Homer, etc. That is, if you want a movie that isn't really dumb.

Like I said, you aren't a Star Wars fan. The Expanded Universe is absolutely amazing, you've clearly never read the books or the comics, or played any of the games.

I'll tell you right now what I've read, and it is ALL amazing!

Books:
Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
Shadow Games
Star Wars Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine
Shadows of the Empire (absolutely amazing)
The Truce at Bakura
X-Wing: Wraith Squadron
Jedi Academy: Jedi Search
Jedi Academy: Dark Apprentice
Jedi Academy: Champions of the Force
The New Jedi Order: Vector Prime
The NJO: Dark Tide I: Onslaught
The NJO: Dark Tide II: Ruin
The NJO: Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial
The NJO: Agents of Chaos II: Jedi Eclipse
The NJO: Balance Point
The NJO: Recovery
The NJO: Edge of Victory I: Conquest
The NJO: Edge of Victory II: Rebirth
The NJO: Star by Star

Games:
Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
Star Wars: Obi-Wan
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Outcast
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns
Star Wars Galaxies (from about 2004-2010)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II
Star Wars: The Old Republic (unsubbed a couple months ago)
Star Wars: Battlefront
Star Wars: Battlefront II
Star Wars: Empire at War
Star Wars: Empire at War, Forces of Corruption
Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
Star Wars: Republic Commando

I've also read a couple of the comics.

I've invested so much time and money into the franchise (not as much as hardcore fans have) that I'm not going to continue to invest in it if they scrap everything I've ever learned and done about it.
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #120 on: November 01, 2012, 10:07:26 PM »

Lucas had called only Hamill and Fisher to discuss 7, 8 and 9. Even now, there are discussions if Harrison Ford should return since he is the oldest of the group and Indiana IV did not go that well. It seems that, as of now, we would go with an old experienced Luke, and a widowed Leia.

Like I said, I will abandon the whole franchise if they kill off any of those three and totally ret-conn the EU post-ROTJ. Star Wars will be dead to me and I hope Disney fails.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #121 on: November 01, 2012, 10:10:46 PM »

Like I said, you aren't a Star Wars fan. The Expanded Universe is absolutely amazing, you've clearly never read the books or the comics, or played any of the games.

I'll tell you right now what I've read, and it is ALL amazing!

Books:
Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
Shadow Games
Star Wars Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine
Shadows of the Empire (absolutely amazing)
The Truce at Bakura
X-Wing: Wraith Squadron
Jedi Academy: Jedi Search
Jedi Academy: Dark Apprentice
Jedi Academy: Champions of the Force
The New Jedi Order: Vector Prime
The NJO: Dark Tide I: Onslaught
The NJO: Dark Tide II: Ruin
The NJO: Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial
The NJO: Agents of Chaos II: Jedi Eclipse
The NJO: Balance Point
The NJO: Recovery
The NJO: Edge of Victory I: Conquest
The NJO: Edge of Victory II: Rebirth
The NJO: Star by Star

Games:
Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
Star Wars: Obi-Wan
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Outcast
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns
Star Wars Galaxies (from about 2004-2010)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II
Star Wars: The Old Republic (unsubbed a couple months ago)
Star Wars: Battlefront
Star Wars: Battlefront II
Star Wars: Empire at War
Star Wars: Empire at War, Forces of Corruption
Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
Star Wars: Republic Commando

I've also read a couple of the comics.

I've invested so much time and money into the franchise (not as much as hardcore fans have) that I'm not going to continue to invest in it if they scrap everything I've ever learned and done about it.

You're really starting to scare me, dude.

88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #122 on: November 01, 2012, 10:30:34 PM »

I won't buy into Star Wars if they kill those characters off, just like I refuse to buy into Modern Warfare or Call of Duty for killing main characters you invest so much time in. Just like I will refuse to invest into another popular game franchise, or like I haven't played or invested time into the Force Unleashed series, and just like I will refuse to buy into anymore Halo games if Master Chief dies. Same reason as to why I absolutely hate the Departed, The Skeleton Key, The Final Cut, The Matrix Series and any other movie that kills off the main character in the end.

Luke must get married, have children and at least live to a very old age before he dies. Anything less is worthless and I'm done with the series.

If they screw this up, I will get rid of all my games, movies, novels, comics & the toys from when I was a kid. They are worthless to me.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 10:34:32 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Fabio Leite
Warned
Archon

« Reply #123 on: November 01, 2012, 10:36:51 PM »

In a bar in Lapa, the bohemian district of Rio de Janeiro, we learn that all the galaxy likes samba and cachaça.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsKG8GDXD0I

Foram-se meus vinte anos de idade
Já vai muito longe a minha mocidade
Sinto uma lágrima rolar sobre meu rosto
É tão grande o meu desgosto

Sei que estou
No último degrau da vida, meu amor
Já estou envelhecido, acabado
Por isso muito eu tenho chorado
Eu não posso esquecer o meu passado

Gone are my twenties
Very far is the time of my youth
I feel a tear rolling down my face
So great is my misery

I know I am
In the last steps of life, my love
I am old, finished
That's why I've been crying
I can't forget my past

« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 10:38:17 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #124 on: November 01, 2012, 10:52:11 PM »

I won't buy into Star Wars if they kill those characters off, just like I refuse to buy into Modern Warfare or Call of Duty for killing main characters you invest so much time in. Just like I will refuse to invest into another popular game franchise, or like I haven't played or invested time into the Force Unleashed series, and just like I will refuse to buy into anymore Halo games if Master Chief dies. Same reason as to why I absolutely hate the Departed, The Skeleton Key, The Final Cut, The Matrix Series and any other movie that kills off the main character in the end.

Luke must get married, have children and at least live to a very old age before he dies. Anything less is worthless and I'm done with the series.

If they screw this up, I will get rid of all my games, movies, novels, comics & the toys from when I was a kid. They are worthless to me.

Do Hamlet and Othello send you into fits of screaming rage?

88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #125 on: November 01, 2012, 10:58:15 PM »

Never read them, nor care to read them. Romeo & Juliet was a beautiful story until Shakespeare screwed it up by having them kill themselves tragically. Julius Caesar was also pretty good, but Brutus should have been portrayed as a good guy, not as the antagonist, he was doing the Empire a favor by killing Julius.

Same reason why I think the story of the Spartans at Thermopylae shouldn't be held up as a some great story. It was an incredible feat of sacrifice, but it makes for a terrible story.

Stories should ALWAYS end with the bad guy getting what he deserves, and the protagonists living on in happiness and to an old age.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 10:59:49 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #126 on: November 01, 2012, 10:58:52 PM »

Never read them, nor care to read them. Romeo & Juliet was a beautiful story until Shakespeare screwed it up by having them kill themselves tragically. Julius Caesar was also pretty good, but Brutus should have been portrayed as a good guy, not as the antagonist, he was doing the Empire a favor by killing Julius.

LOL

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #127 on: November 01, 2012, 11:00:18 PM »

lol I love Devin.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #128 on: November 01, 2012, 11:00:52 PM »

LOL

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #129 on: November 01, 2012, 11:02:23 PM »

It is the exact same reason I read the ending to every movie I watch or want to watch. If the ending isn't good and isn't happy, then I refuse to watch it and may even walk out (unless I'm at the theater with friends).

Same thing with video games, I will read the ending, and if the ending is good, I might buy it, if not, I won't.

I read fiction to feel better and fiction (and all forms of art) should be to lift the person up and make them feel good, not dash them into pieces and make them feel like crap.

That is why I stick mostly to non-fiction and the only fictional series I've ever gotten into is Star Wars because it is mostly good without a ton of terrible tragedy. Darth Vader killed his love, but he was redeemed in the end, dying in the arms of his son. His son lives on, marries, and while she dies a tragic death at the hands of a family member (Han & Leia's son if I recall), Luke & her son lives on, and eventually you arrive hundreds of years later and his bloodline still continues.

Like in LOTR, sure it really sucks that Frodo is gone, but the other main protagonists and Aragorn live, marry and have children. Or like Harry Potter, where they all marry and have kids in the end.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 11:06:32 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #130 on: November 01, 2012, 11:04:42 PM »

It is the exact same reason I read the ending to every movie I watch or want to watch. If the ending isn't good and isn't happy, then I refuse to watch it and may even walk out (unless I'm at the theater with friends).

Same thing with video games, I will read the ending, and if the ending is good, I might buy it, if not, I won't.

I read fiction to feel better and fiction (and all forms of art) should be to lift the person up and make them feel good, not dash them into pieces and make them feel like crap.

That's why I don't like 1984.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #131 on: November 01, 2012, 11:06:04 PM »

I'd like to recommend a film to you that you'd really enjoy. It's called Grave of the Fireflies. Don't read the ending- it's a great surprise! But it's animated, so you know it will have a happy ending.  Smiley

88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #132 on: November 01, 2012, 11:09:11 PM »

I'd like to recommend a film to you that you'd really enjoy. It's called Grave of the Fireflies. Don't read the ending- it's a great surprise! But it's animated, so you know it will have a happy ending.  Smiley

Just read the ending, that is a crappy ending. Absolutely not worth watching.
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #133 on: November 01, 2012, 11:14:22 PM »

Its also the reason I don't get into watching TV series (except one, which never has an "ending" and death doesn't happen, well, except when it is unfortunately real). I've gone this whole time resisting the temptation to watch series like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones and Walking Dead because I refuse to get invested in characters if they just kill them off.

That is also why I'm so glad I didn't get into Lost until the very end, so that I wasn't invested into any characters dying, and while I was mad they killed off the main character, the ending was still happy.

Also, while it is a comedy, I'm glad I never got into Seinfeld because to end the series with them all going to jail is just stupid and pointless. I'm glad that as I grew up watching Friends, they didn't screw us over and gave us what we wanted, to see everyone together, married and happy.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #134 on: November 01, 2012, 11:20:58 PM »

I'm glad that as I grew up watching Friends, they didn't screw us over and gave us what we wanted, to see everyone together, married and happy.

'Cause that's what life is like.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: