OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 05:42:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars Episode 7: Set for 2015 Release  (Read 5311 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2012, 03:17:34 AM »

Doesn't Disney also own ESPN?
Yep.

They own more IPs than people think.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2012, 08:33:50 AM »

Leia is a Disney Princess now.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2012, 08:37:45 AM »

Disney will ruin the whole thing. They are going to turn it into a family-comedy without the serious depth and philosophical adventure that the original trilogy takes you through.

The philosophy, such as it is, was more of a device to drive the adventure. I don't think of Star Wars as philosophical.

Besides, midichlorians are now canon so the philosophy is just so much hot air. Oh George, not everything has to have a scientific explanation.
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2012, 09:04:35 AM »

Well, they could use Episode 7 to fix several of the problems of the prequel. Midchlorians being one of them. The excessive materialism of the era of Clone Wars could be one of the things clouding the vision of the Jedis, while the more spiritualized approach Yoda and Obi-Wan later acquired and passed on to Luke is the "new" way, and one that prevents the kind of blindness they previously had at least.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2012, 09:24:53 AM »

I can only wince as now this is going to go one of two ways:

1. Disney owns marvel comics now as well, and the Avengers rocked my socks.....hopefully Star Wars will too once again.

2. Starring Justin Beiber as Luke Skywalker, Co-starring Miranda Cogsgrove as Princess Leia, and Zach Galifianakis as Chewbacca..........

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2012, 09:50:07 AM »

Well, they could use Episode 7 to fix several of the problems of the prequel. Midchlorians being one of them. The excessive materialism of the era of Clone Wars could be one of the things clouding the vision of the Jedis, while the more spiritualized approach Yoda and Obi-Wan later acquired and passed on to Luke is the "new" way, and one that prevents the kind of blindness they previously had at least.
One can only hope.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2012, 09:54:30 AM »

I've got a concept- bear with me on this....

J.J. Abrams Star Wars lens-flared filled reboot!

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
age234
High Elder

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2012, 10:56:42 AM »

I could see them setting it 20-30 years later and have Luke, Leia, and Han be secondary characters, played by the original actors, handing the series to the next generation (much like the III to IV gap). Not sure if Ford would go for it after the Indy IV epic fail, but who knows.

Mark Hamill in particular has had pretty much no career since Jedi, so I'm sure he'd like to be involved.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 10:57:32 AM by age234 » Logged
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2012, 11:01:40 AM »

I could see them setting it 20-30 years later and have Luke, Leia, and Han be secondary characters, played by the original actors, handing the series to the next generation (much like the III to IV gap). Not sure if Ford would go for it after the Indy IV epic fail, but who knows.

Mark Hamill in particular has had pretty much no career since Jedi, so I'm sure he'd like to be involved.

He was the voice of the Joker in the Batman Animated series and some games. Some consider *him* to be the best Joker of all.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2012, 11:03:30 AM »

He was the voice of the Joker in the Batman Animated series and some games. Some consider *him* to be the best Joker of all.
Was thinking the same thing.

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2012, 11:06:10 AM »

I really enjoyed his role as Christopher "Maverick" Blair in the Wing Commander games. He really goes against type as a farmer turned fighter pil- waitasecond....

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2012, 01:08:50 PM »

I'd say they should cover with the Yuuzhan Vong War, Second Galactic Civil War, the Fate of the Jedi series or something between the FotJ and Legacy comics (the last one least likely).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 01:09:02 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2012, 01:14:27 PM »

I say Dark Empire series, then go into the Vong crisis. Good ole' violence in those two series.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2012, 01:18:30 PM »

I say Dark Empire series

The original actors are too old...

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2012, 02:32:15 PM »

I say Dark Empire series

Harrison Ford can never be tool old for anything! You take that back!!!!!  laugh laugh

PP

Gregory the Great
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2012, 03:20:02 PM »

I say Dark Empire series

Harrison Ford can never be tool old for anything! You take that back!!!!!  laugh laugh

PP

While I admired JJ Abram's reboot of Star Trek, I hope they don't develop a 'parallel' universe or time paradox as a plot contrivance to get us to accept new actors. I would think that moving things up two generations and referring to the old heroes of III through VI in the past tense would solve that issue. Since the entire story arc follows the hero myth track for better or worse with parallels to human history - such as the Roman Empire, the Enlightenment etc.... I could see another 'dark movie coming in VII where the restoration of the Republic at the end of VI leads to some sort of perversion of its goals as in the aftermath of the French or Russian revolutions with a new cast of rebels fighting again to regain freedom.  Something like that...all of this genre of film seems to follow that path so this is not a stretch. I think that the core audience of those who followed the novels and such will be disappointed but they won't reflect the bulk of the mass market Disney will seek to attract. So the next movie won't be a moody 'indie' film with a dark edge..... I just hope they are better constructed than Lucas' reboot in 1 through III and with better acting in the lead roles. He kept killing off the good actors for the most part....
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 03:21:29 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2012, 04:00:08 PM »

Am I the only one that didnt hate/enjoy I-III?

I liked the originals a lot better, of course, but the first three were good movies, at worst, in their own right.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2012, 04:02:24 PM »

I liked the originals a lot better, of course, but the first three were good movies, at worst, in their own right.

I didn't hate them - they were entertaining - they just could have been better? My son had a bootleg remix that was floating around the internet with the 'best' parts of the three mixed into one, coherent movie. They did tell a good story that way...
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2012, 09:15:57 PM »

I actually enjoyed episode III quite a bit, particularly for its grand guignol aspect. But I wouldn't say it's a good movie.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2012, 09:51:16 PM »

I rather enjoyed episodes I-III.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2012, 09:51:42 PM »

I'd say they should cover with the Yuuzhan Vong War, Second Galactic Civil War, the Fate of the Jedi series or something between the FotJ and Legacy comics (the last one least likely).

A movie of the Yuuzhan Vong War would be awesome.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2012, 10:07:20 PM »

Just read that representatives said the new movie will not be based on anything from the Extended Universe, but a completely new story.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2012, 10:23:05 PM »

Just read that representatives said the new movie will not be based on anything from the Extended Universe, but a completely new story.

Anathema!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2012, 10:25:01 PM »

Well then that must mean a completely different timeline, because everything else is locked down.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2012, 10:26:44 PM »

A Star Wars reboot?

I'm all for it.

new timeline too? May God grant it.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2012, 10:36:02 PM »

The Future of Star Wars Movies - Interview with George Lucas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyqlTi7lkhY

Disney's CEO on the Acquisition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIkqX5fG_tA
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 10:36:30 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2012, 12:01:25 AM »

Well then that must mean a completely different timeline, because everything else is locked down.

Or it could take place in an as-yet unrevealed planet, or "not be based on anything," might not mean literally unrelated to anything.

age234
High Elder

« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2012, 12:12:54 AM »

So glad to hear this!
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2012, 01:14:17 AM »

Old republic movies might be cool.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Gamliel
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2012, 01:32:03 AM »

So glad to hear this!
Perhaps an Orthodox missionary arrives in the galaxy? angel
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2012, 02:10:16 AM »

I've long said that KOTOR, KOTOR II, and the once-planned (until LucasArts scrapped it) KOTOR III would have made for an awesome Star Wars trilogy.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2012, 09:30:28 AM »

I've long said that KOTOR, KOTOR II, and the once-planned (until LucasArts scrapped it) KOTOR III would have made for an awesome Star Wars trilogy.
I agree. One of my favorite Star Wars Story lines. I was extremely disappointed when KOTOR III was dropped. I REALLY waned to know what happens next.

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2012, 09:48:12 AM »

Well, because it's Episode VII, they probably will use Luke, Han and Leia or their descedants, only they will not follow the Extended Universe stories.

Right now, most likely, they are just throwing different ideas around to see how the public reacts.

I agree. One of my favorite Star Wars Story lines. I was extremely disappointed when KOTOR III was dropped. I REALLY waned to know what happens next.

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2012, 09:58:41 AM »

It will be an original story not seen in the Extended Universe

(...) you should know that there is an official canon concerning the Star Wars universe. Those stories cover the years after rebel victory (i.e., after Return of the Jedi). It's written in a series of books called the Thrawn Trilogy, by author Timothy Zahn.
(...)
So is that the basis for Episode 7 or not? I've heard directly from LucasFilm and other sources close to the picture, and they say: Definitely not.
"It's an original story," a LucasFilm source tells me.
In other words, forget the Star Wars novels. Forget the graphic novels. Forget everything you think you know about what happens to Luke Skywalker. According to my sources, Episode 7 will literally be nothing you've ever seen or read before from the Star Wars universe.
http://www.eonline.com/news/358685/star-wars-7-plot-will-be-an-original-story-says-lucasfilm-source

It will probably have Luke, Leia and Han.
Mark Hamill: Oh my gosh, what a shock that was! I had no idea that George was going to sell to Disney until I read it online like everybody else. He did tell us last summer about wanting to go on and do [Episodes] VII, VIII, and IX, and that [newly appointed Lucasfilm president] Kathleen Kennedy would be doing them.
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/10/31/mark-hamill-star-wars-episode-vii-disney/

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2012, 11:08:04 AM »

I REALLY waned to know what happens next.

Try Star Wars: The Old Republic and Star Wars: The Old Republic: Revan.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Severian
I love making people who hate me hate me even more
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians

Partisangirl
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2012, 12:22:45 PM »

They're going to ruin it. I just know it... Sad

In solidarity with the "Nasara" (i.e. Christians) of Iraq and Syria

On hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact

NOTE: Some of my older posts may not reflect my current views
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2012, 12:24:18 PM »

I believe the appropriate expression is:

I've got a baaad feeling about this.

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2012, 12:37:22 PM »

I believe the appropriate expression is:

I've got a baaad feeling about this.
Good one.

On hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2012, 01:16:17 PM »

I will say however, unlike the laughable ridiculousness that was Episodes 1,2,&3 Lucas will have NO say in script writing, thank goodness....George Lucas is probably the most successful terrible script writer of all time.

PP

Gregory the Great
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2012, 01:16:38 PM »

You can't sink the Titanic any further.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2012, 01:19:08 PM »

I hope they die (not literally, maybe as a company) if they completely ignore Star Wars canon and contradict it.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2012, 01:24:19 PM »

You can't sink the Titanic any further.
Good point. But at least the Star Wars extended universe still has some pretty good stuff.

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2012, 01:47:46 PM »

I hope they die (not literally, maybe as a company) if they completely ignore Star Wars canon and contradict it.

From a business point of view it makes sense. Using the Extended Universe would put it in the "Book Adaptation" field. And the Extended Universe is no Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, nor a momentary fad like "50 Shades". As books, they don't seem to be good candidates to be sources of adaptations.

They will probably nod to the Extended Universe in some new character names, races and planets, some minor story arcs or scenes. But the storyline will be entirely different.

podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2012, 01:53:18 PM »

From a business point of view it makes sense. Using the Extended Universe would put it in the "Book Adaptation" field. And the Extended Universe is no Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, nor a momentary fad like "50 Shades". As books, they don't seem to be good candidates to be sources of adaptations.

They will probably nod to the Extended Universe in some new character names, races and planets, some minor story arcs or scenes. But the storyline will be entirely different.

I would agree with Fabio on that - in that way Disney will nod appreciatively to the Extended Universe  aficionado fans while being able to pen a tale better suited for a mass market, global audience....

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2012, 02:44:55 PM »

Extended Universe  aficionado fan
<----------------- like this guy.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 02:45:27 PM by primuspilus » Logged

Gregory the Great
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: