OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 10:38:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars Episode 7: Set for 2015 Release  (Read 5075 times) Average Rating: 0
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #225 on: January 31, 2013, 05:19:18 AM »

He did do a really good job with the Star Trek reboot. It was actually a decent film.

And all he had to do was De-Trek it (by his own admission)  Angry  angel

Which from my point of view was a very good thing. Never did really get on with Star Trek. Deep Space 9, other than its soap opera on a space station episodes, was the only series I ever really enjoyed prior to the reboot. The less said about the films the better.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Happy 450th birthday, Mr. Shakespeare!

« Reply #226 on: January 31, 2013, 05:21:37 AM »

Well at least you picked the best Trek series to like, if you only like one  police
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #227 on: January 31, 2013, 05:49:34 AM »

Well at least you picked the best Trek series to like, if you only like one  police

It was the only one that seemed to eschew Gene Roddenberry's wholly unrealistic 'the future will be populated solely by happy atheists' idea. Cutting any sense of faith in all the characters always seemed to have made the whole setting seem sterile and wooden - literally soulless. That just never seemed particularly human to me. Luckily the Bajorans came along in DS9.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #228 on: January 31, 2013, 05:53:27 AM »

Since I didn’t like the last three all that much and abhor the remastered versions of the originals, I may skip this one altogether.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #229 on: January 31, 2013, 05:56:26 AM »

Another reason why I will probably skip it...after what he did to Star Trek.
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #230 on: January 31, 2013, 05:58:37 AM »

Since I didn’t like the last three all that much and abhor the remastered versions of the originals, I may skip this one altogether.

Obviously it's too early to say for sure (and it's Disney after all), but I'd give it a chance even so. As you probably could tell from my posts above, I never really thought much of Star Trek and hated the films but I'm really glad I gave J. J. Abrams' reboot a chance and am now looking forward to Star Trek into Darkness. If he can pull off something similar with Star Wars we'll get a decent film.

James

Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #231 on: January 31, 2013, 06:41:53 AM »

Obviously it's too early to say for sure (and it's Disney after all), but I'd give it a chance even so. As you probably could tell from my posts above, I never really thought much of Star Trek and hated the films but I'm really glad I gave J. J. Abrams' reboot a chance and am now looking forward to Star Trek into Darkness. If he can pull off something similar with Star Wars we'll get a decent film.

James

My guess is he is going for a new audience.  I have always enjoyed Star Trek.  I have watched the original series since I was a kid.  I was hesitant with TNG, but it turned out fine.  Voyager was ok as was DS9, but nothing to write home about.  The only movie I really didn’t like was the first one.  The latest was not a bad movie, but I didn’t like the story line at all and as a result, it sort of messes up everything from here on out.  Maybe I will watch it, but I don’t think so. 

As for Star Wars, the first of the last three was decent as a movie, but there was something about all of them I simply did not like.  Perhaps it was several things, who knows?  If that is any indication, combined with my displeasure with the last Star Trek, I am just not very high hopes for this next movie either.
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #232 on: January 31, 2013, 06:53:01 AM »

James

My guess is he is going for a new audience.  I have always enjoyed Star Trek.  I have watched the original series since I was a kid.  I was hesitant with TNG, but it turned out fine.  Voyager was ok as was DS9, but nothing to write home about.  The only movie I really didn’t like was the first one.  The latest was not a bad movie, but I didn’t like the story line at all and as a result, it sort of messes up everything from here on out.  Maybe I will watch it, but I don’t think so. 

As for Star Wars, the first of the last three was decent as a movie, but there was something about all of them I simply did not like.  Perhaps it was several things, who knows?  If that is any indication, combined with my displeasure with the last Star Trek, I am just not very high hopes for this next movie either.

You liked the Episode I best out of the prequels? We definitely differ in our attitude to Star Wars as well as Star Trek. The best prequel in my eyes was Episode III, mainly because it seemed to be getting a little closer to what the original three had been. I agree with you, though, about there being something wrong with them all - to me it was all too saccharine, polished and childish. I'm hoping J. J. Abrams might be able to make his one a bit darker - but it is Disney...

James

Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #233 on: January 31, 2013, 06:56:56 AM »

I liked KOTOR best from prequels.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #234 on: January 31, 2013, 06:58:17 AM »

Another reason why I will probably skip it...after what he did to Star Trek.
You mean actually make Star Trek watchable? Yup.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #235 on: January 31, 2013, 06:58:53 AM »

James

You liked the Episode I best out of the prequels? We definitely differ in our attitude to Star Wars as well as Star Trek. The best prequel in my eyes was Episode III, mainly because it seemed to be getting a little closer to what the original three had been. I agree with you, though, about there being something wrong with them all - to me it was all too saccharine, polished and childish. I'm hoping J. J. Abrams might be able to make his one a bit darker - but it is Disney...

James

I think one of the problems is, you actually can have too much CGI.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #236 on: January 31, 2013, 07:05:15 AM »

James

James

I think one of the problems is, you actually can have too much CGI.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #237 on: January 31, 2013, 07:22:45 AM »

I liked KOTOR best from prequels.

I don't disagree with you except that I'm not sure how valid it is to compare an RPG to a film. Now if they were to film some prequels set in the Old Republic, that's something I'd be very interested in.

James

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #238 on: January 31, 2013, 07:43:52 AM »

Quick question: If Luke goes completely over to the Dark Side, will his Sith handle be Darth Cestuous?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 07:44:29 AM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #239 on: January 31, 2013, 07:55:28 AM »

Quick question: If Luke goes completely over to the Dark Side, will his Sith handle be Darth Cestuous?

You mean, like he did around 10 ABY?

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 07:57:02 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #240 on: January 31, 2013, 08:17:53 AM »

Dark Empire. Wonderful series.

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #241 on: January 31, 2013, 12:41:16 PM »

Wait, someone liked the prequels??? I'm confused.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #242 on: January 31, 2013, 12:48:43 PM »

Wait, someone liked the prequels??? I'm confused.

I don't remember anyone going that far. The discussion between Kerdy and myself did involve some debate as to which of the prequels was least bad, however.

James

Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Happy 450th birthday, Mr. Shakespeare!

« Reply #243 on: January 31, 2013, 03:05:20 PM »

I liked III enough to buy it on DVD. That's as nice as I can be.
choy
Archon

« Reply #244 on: January 31, 2013, 03:56:07 PM »

Well, the problem with Episode I is that it is trying to set-up the entire series and provide a backstory for what we already know from the original trilogy.  So it became more story telling, more talking, etc.  Aside from Jarjar of course.  It did have its moments.  And I agree, III was pretty good because it had a darker tone and the story pace moved along quite well.  Episode IV could have been really bad had they thought about it as a setup for the trilogy, but I believe they approached Episode IV without the thought of making it into a trilogy.  In fact the original intro scrolling text never even called the movie as Episode IV.
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #245 on: January 31, 2013, 03:58:30 PM »

Well, the problem with Episode I is that it is trying to set-up the entire series and provide a backstory for what we already know from the original trilogy.  So it became more story telling, more talking, etc.  Aside from Jarjar of course.  It did have its moments.  And I agree, III was pretty good because it had a darker tone and the story pace moved along quite well.  Episode IV could have been really bad had they thought about it as a setup for the trilogy, but I believe they approached Episode IV without the thought of making it into a trilogy.  In fact the original intro scrolling text never even called the movie as Episode IV.

and in a way, that is exactly what endeared the movie to me, the fact that it was a simpler time and just provided background info, and not as dark as the others.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #246 on: January 31, 2013, 04:34:10 PM »

The series should have started with Anakin already a Jedi. There is such a thing as flashbacks and conversations that help to provide the back story. Also, they should have made Anakin this incrediblely likable and masculine kick-butt Jedi (who unexpecteldy turned to the dark side, like Othello), rather than the annoying man child we got. Oh well. Such is life.

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #247 on: January 31, 2013, 05:33:53 PM »

The series should have started with Anakin already a Jedi. There is such a thing as flashbacks and conversations that help to provide the back story. Also, they should have made Anakin this incrediblely likable and masculine kick-butt Jedi (who unexpecteldy turned to the dark side, like Othello), rather than the annoying man child we got. Oh well. Such is life.

Two problems with Anakin (especially in Episodes 2-3): The writing of George Lucas and Hayden Christensen who played him. I really hope Lucas will not be involved in the proposed movie.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
choy
Archon

« Reply #248 on: January 31, 2013, 05:53:12 PM »

I guess they want to portray him as immature and conflicted, which is what led him to the dark side.  I guess if he was very likeable and heroic and strong headed, it would have been less believeable that he would be lured into the dark side.

I wish they'll remake the original Trilogy but only to enhance the fight scenes.  Or maybe wait until CGI technology gets to the point that it can reproduce the original actors but remake the fight scenes.  After watching Obi Wan in episodes 1-3, the fight scene at IV looks pretty lame, even if you say that he is just stalling and not really fighting.  I mean, if Yoda can really bring it at 900 years old, I don't see why an older Obi Wan would be reduced to standing and striking.
choy
Archon

« Reply #249 on: January 31, 2013, 05:54:33 PM »

Two problems with Anakin (especially in Episodes 2-3): The writing of George Lucas and Hayden Christensen who played him. I really hope Lucas will not be involved in the proposed movie.

I don't know, I think in two Hayden's bad acting actually made Anakin's "spoiled child" image more believable.  He does look like some whiny kid who expects everything to be handed to him.
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #250 on: January 31, 2013, 08:13:50 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jow6UymR3Sc

^ This   

This user is no longer active.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #251 on: February 01, 2013, 01:16:44 PM »

I guess they want to portray him as immature and conflicted, which is what led him to the dark side.  I guess if he was very likeable and heroic and strong headed, it would have been less believeable that he would be lured into the dark side.

I wish they'll remake the original Trilogy but only to enhance the fight scenes.  Or maybe wait until CGI technology gets to the point that it can reproduce the original actors but remake the fight scenes.  After watching Obi Wan in episodes 1-3, the fight scene at IV looks pretty lame, even if you say that he is just stalling and not really fighting.  I mean, if Yoda can really bring it at 900 years old, I don't see why an older Obi Wan would be reduced to standing and striking.
It could have believable in the manner I described for two reasons. First, we already have awesome stories of great people who have fallen to evil, such as Othello. My favorite play by old Bill btw.
Second, we all know that even the most virtuous of us is able to fall. If this was handled appropriately, I think it would have been more believable than the flat story we got: Anakin always on the dark side. What is the difference between Anakin at the end of Episode III, and the Anakin we see killing sand-people in Episode II? There was no fall here. He was always an annoying jerk. The result is a borring story.

choy
Archon

« Reply #252 on: February 01, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »

It could have believable in the manner I described for two reasons. First, we already have awesome stories of great people who have fallen to evil, such as Othello. My favorite play by old Bill btw.
Second, we all know that even the most virtuous of us is able to fall. If this was handled appropriately, I think it would have been more believable than the flat story we got: Anakin always on the dark side. What is the difference between Anakin at the end of Episode III, and the Anakin we see killing sand-people in Episode II? There was no fall here. He was always an annoying jerk. The result is a borring story.

But isn't that the crux of the story?  That Quigon wanted to make him a jedi because of his potential and inherent capabilities rather than someone who is properly prepared for the life as a jedi?  I think many people can relate to that story of becoming something other than being qualified for that something.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #253 on: February 01, 2013, 04:41:17 PM »

But isn't that the crux of the story?  That Quigon wanted to make him a jedi because of his potential and inherent capabilities rather than someone who is properly prepared for the life as a jedi?  I think many people can relate to that story of becoming something other than being qualified for that something.
But it doesn't seem to square with Obi Wan's description of the situation in A New Hope. There, it seems that Anakin was described as some great Jedi, and that he and Obi Wan had a close friendship that included mutual respect. In the prequels we get a spoiled brat who treats his mentor horribly.

choy
Archon

« Reply #254 on: February 01, 2013, 04:52:46 PM »

But isn't that the crux of the story?  That Quigon wanted to make him a jedi because of his potential and inherent capabilities rather than someone who is properly prepared for the life as a jedi?  I think many people can relate to that story of becoming something other than being qualified for that something.
But it doesn't seem to square with Obi Wan's description of the situation in A New Hope. There, it seems that Anakin was described as some great Jedi, and that he and Obi Wan had a close friendship that included mutual respect. In the prequels we get a spoiled brat who treats his mentor horribly.

Well, do you really tell an orphan that his dead father was a jerk?

Remember in Return of the Jedi, Luke was calling Obi out for lying to him that Darth Vader killed his father.  Then Obi just went all philosophical on him.  So he was lying from the get go.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 04:53:42 PM by choy » Logged
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #255 on: February 01, 2013, 11:19:51 PM »

But it doesn't seem to square with Obi Wan's description of the situation in A New Hope. There, it seems that Anakin was described as some great Jedi, and that he and Obi Wan had a close friendship that included mutual respect.

Clone Wars.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #256 on: February 01, 2013, 11:43:31 PM »

Obi Wan lied
and people died!

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #257 on: February 01, 2013, 11:48:10 PM »

Really want to get the OG Star Wars Trilogy on Blu-Ray, but I'm so about the GREEDOHAN SHOT FIRST

– St. Ambrose of Milan
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #258 on: February 02, 2013, 12:24:12 AM »

Obi Wan lied
and people died!

You hush. Grrrrrr.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: