OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 09:43:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about prayer ropes.  (Read 217 times) Average Rating: 0
CopticDeacon
Αναγνώστης(Reader) in the God-loving Diocese of New York and New England
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

St. Macarius, the Spirit Bearer, Pray for Us!

« on: December 02, 2014, 09:37:46 AM »

How do you guys transport ropes over 50 knots? I don't like putting them in my pocket. Wrapped around your wrist? What about the tassle? Do EO Christians bring their chotkis to church? Has anyone made wool ropes? Any tips because it's hard haha.  Thank you.

"I see the heavens opened up, and the Son of Man seated at the right hand of God"
-St. Stephen the Archdeacon and Protomartyr
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 01:40:21 PM »

I have never used a 50 knot prayer rope. 33 is my limit and I'm not even very good with that one. I recommend wearing it across your chest like this.

I have only ever seen one person wear a chotki to church and he was pretty hyperdox. Perhaps in other jurisdictions, it is more common.

Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 01:43:00 PM »

^LOL!!!!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 01:48:01 PM »

How do you guys transport ropes over 50 knots? I don't like putting them in my pocket. Wrapped around your wrist? What about the tassle? Do EO Christians bring their chotkis to church? Has anyone made wool ropes? Any tips because it's hard haha.  Thank you.

I've seen one person wear it around their wrist.

Yes, if you want.
It's there.
Some people do.  In my parish, the most and least hyperdox people wear them to church.  Visiting a ROCOR parish, it seemed everyone had them.  Visiting a GOA church, no one had them.
Monastics make them all the time.  There are instructional videos online.  Here's a whole website:  http://www.wattfamily.org/prayerope.html
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 01:48:21 PM by hecma925 » Logged

CopticDeacon
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 02:10:22 PM »

How do you guys transport ropes over 50 knots? I don't like putting them in my pocket. Wrapped around your wrist? What about the tassle? Do EO Christians bring their chotkis to church? Has anyone made wool ropes? Any tips because it's hard haha.  Thank you.

Yes, if you want.
It's there.
Some people do.  In my parish, the most and least hyperdox people wear them to church.  Visiting a ROCOR parish, it seemed everyone had them.  Visiting a GOA church, no one had them.
Monastics make them all the time.  There are instructional videos online.  Here's a whole website:  http://www.wattfamily.org/prayerope.html

Thanks everyone.  I know how to make them just fine but wool is more difficult than satin cord.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 02:10:51 PM by CopticDeacon » Logged

"I see the heavens opened up, and the Son of Man seated at the right hand of God"
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 02:11:56 PM »

Yes, if you want.
It's there.
Some people do.  In my parish, the most and least hyperdox people wear them to church.  Visiting a ROCOR parish, it seemed everyone had them.  Visiting a GOA church, no one had them.
Monastics make them all the time.  There are instructional videos online.  Here's a whole website:  http://www.wattfamily.org/prayerope.html

Thanks everyone.  I know how to make them just fine but wool is more difficult than satin cord.

#asceticism

CopticDeacon
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 02:13:01 PM »

Yes, if you want.
It's there.

#asceticism

#instamonk

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 02:19:57 PM »

Yes, if you want.
It's there.

#asceticism

#instamonk

Lol!

Have you tried writing to a monastery (where one of the handicrafts for sale are prayer ropes) and ask for any suggestions?

CopticDeacon
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 02:24:03 PM »

Yes, if you want.
It's there.

#asceticism

#instamonk

Lol!

Have you tried writing to a monastery (where one of the handicrafts for sale are prayer ropes) and ask for any suggestions?

That's a good idea. The coptic monastery I retreat to uses silk but I could write to Holy Transfiguration. I bought my wool rope from them. 

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek *and* Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 03:18:13 PM »

In Greece, popular practice across all ages and backgrounds is wearing a 33-knot one on the wrist. They are often sold at church fairs by visiting Athonite monks, who go on knotting more on the spot - fascinating to watch. I bet that most of the wearers don't know or don't care to use it for prayer, but at least it serves as a non-ostentatious bit of PDP. Cool

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
CopticDeacon
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 03:40:39 PM »

In Greece, popular practice across all ages and backgrounds is wearing a 33-knot one on the wrist. They are often sold at church fairs by visiting Athonite monks, who go on knotting more on the spot - fascinating to watch. I bet that most of the wearers don't know or don't care to use it for prayer, but at least it serves as a non-ostentatious bit of PDP. Cool

The way I think of it is that in church you should be in the prayers. Not using your rope. Unless you're at that spiritual point of constant prayer

CopticDeacon
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 05:09:19 PM »

UGH. The wool yarn just comes apart and rips and it's difficult to knot ughhh. Any help?

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 05:12:07 PM »

UGH. The wool yarn just comes apart and rips and it's difficult to knot ughhh. Any help?

Maybe it's the type of wool? 

CopticDeacon
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 05:26:54 PM »

Maybe it's the type of wool? 
No its because it doesn't slide through the knot very well so you have to pull on it  harder and is stays to wear very quickly. Instead of pulling it through with his fingers this one guy in a video uses some cone shaped wooden needle to pick it out then pulls.

CopticDeacon
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 05:41:16 PM »

A burnt toothpick is helping

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: