OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 03:04:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Studying Buddhism  (Read 1808 times) Average Rating: 0
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« on: October 30, 2012, 03:20:37 PM »

Hello, I'm taking the time to study the Buddhist religion ... Any tips? thanks.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 03:24:57 PM »

All I need to know about new age-y Americanized Eastern religions I learned from fortune cookies and 'Confucious says' jokes.

Otherwise, if you are interested in proper Buddhism, Iconodule I believe is the resident expert on Buddhism here.  I have read some on Tibetian/Mongolian Buddhism in reading about Baron von Ungern-Sternberg, and the biography on him - The Bloody White Baron, goes pretty in depth into it.  It is a lot different from the Strip Mall Buddhism you'll find in these parts.  Very interesting folks.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 03:36:01 PM »

I have tip.....

DON'T!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 04:07:15 PM »

You have several Orthodox Christian parishes within an hour's drive from you. I can't imagine there are Buddhist centers any closer. Get yourself more acquainted with the fullness of Truth first and then I'd be happy to talk comparative religion with you.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »

Hmm, I think that's the other way around.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 06:20:58 PM »

A good place to start (but not necessarily *end*) is Thich Nhat Hanh, and his Being Peace.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 06:21:43 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 07:00:06 PM »

I recommend the following:

What the Buddha Taught, by Walpola Rahula
Mindfulness in Plain English, and Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness, by Bhante Gunaratana
In the Buddha's Words - an Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon, compiled and edited by Bhikkhu Bodhi

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 07:00:45 PM by stavros_388 » Logged

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 08:05:40 PM »

Oh, and also The Way of the Bodhisattva by Shantideva, revised edition and translation by the Padmakara Translation Group.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 08:08:01 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 09:34:09 AM »

I've read about -Nirvana- as the Ultimate Reality but what about Heaven? Do we go through gradual stages of Heavenly Xperience ...

Is Heaven confused with Sky Dwelling?....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 09:35:43 AM by WPM » Logged
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 09:40:24 AM »

I've read about -Nirvana- as the Ultimate Reality but what about Heaven? Do we go through gradual stages of Heavenly Xperience ...

Buddhist "heavens" are more refined, more pleasurable/blissful realms of samsara.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 12:34:12 PM »

For those interested, this video include a koan between a rinzai master and his student. As far as i know, this has only been captured on video a few times in history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRDTBIJ3mFQ&feature=relmfu

And I'm sorry that most people in here won't be able to understand it.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 02:39:11 PM »

Read actual sutras?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 02:54:26 PM »

Buddhist "heavens" are more refined, more pleasurable/blissful realms of samsara.

So why leave?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 03:58:41 PM »

So why leave?
Because inhabiting the heavens (like inhabiting a physical body) has a time-limit. Eventually, the actions that brought you there lose their power, and you are re-born elsewhere (in the physical world, most likely). Only Nirvana-realization is eternal.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 05:24:44 PM »

So why leave?
Because inhabiting the heavens (like inhabiting a physical body) has a time-limit. Eventually, the actions that brought you there lose their power, and you are re-born elsewhere (in the physical world, most likely). Only Nirvana-realization is eternal.

You can't gain positive karma in Heaven?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 05:31:48 PM »

So why leave?

Not usually, because the heavenly realms give you everything you want, and you feel content and self-satisfied, thinking "Why should I do anything else? I like it here." Also, everyone else around you is in a similar state, so there's no one less fortunate to help, so you really can't perform positive, selfless actions.

The human world is the best place in which to realize Nirvana, because there is a rough balance of pleasure and pain: enough pleasure to cause you to seek for the pleasure-that-never-ends (Nirvana) and enough pain to keep you discontent with your present situation.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 05:35:32 PM »

So why leave?

Not usually, because the heavenly realms give you everything you want, and you feel content and self-satisfied, thinking "Why should I do anything else? I like it here." Also, everyone else around you is in a similar state, so there's no one less fortunate to help, so you really can't perform positive, selfless actions.

The human world is the best place in which to realize Nirvana, because there is a rough balance of pleasure and pain: enough pleasure to cause you to seek for the pleasure-that-never-ends (Nirvana) and enough pain to keep you discontent with your present situation.

Can you and Iconodule teach a Buddhism seminar please?

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 05:42:37 PM »

So why leave?

Can you and Iconodule teach a Buddhism seminar please?
Thanks for the vote of confidence.  Smiley

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2012, 05:50:45 PM »

So why leave?

Wow. Interesting.
Ashman618
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2012, 06:25:06 PM »

What happens when the entire universe converts to dark matter and there is no physical realm to be bodily reincarnated???
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2012, 06:44:10 PM »

What happens when the entire universe converts to dark matter and there is no physical realm to be bodily reincarnated???
This physical realm is not the only realm. There are multiple levels of spiritual realms that one may take birth in, even if the physical realm becomes un-inhabitable. Eventually, though, the physical realm will become habitable once again.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Ashman618
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2012, 09:09:40 PM »

Wonderful so I gotta come back no matter what just fantastic
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2012, 09:16:39 PM »

I find that Japanese Buddhism and Shinto tend to mix quite a lot, and I always thought it was interesting to study and read about.

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2012, 09:37:03 PM »

You don't have to come back. This life can be your last.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2012, 09:42:14 PM »

Is there a difference between enlightenment and nirvana?

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2012, 10:05:16 PM »

'Enlightenment' can mean anything, really, because it has Hindu, Buddhist, as well as even New Age meanings. Buddhists often speak of "awakening" to the Unborn (Nirvana).

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2012, 10:12:08 PM »

'Enlightenment' can mean anything, really, because it has Hindu, Buddhist, as well as even New Age meanings. Buddhists often speak of "awakening" to the Unborn (Nirvana).

How can nirvana be a state of eternal bliss if it is the cessation of the self's existence?

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2012, 10:30:39 PM »

How can nirvana be a state of eternal bliss if it is the cessation of the self's existence?
The separate self is your own creation. It's like you're clenching your fingers together to make a fist. Release the fist, open the hand, and you will see what was always true and already present. The cessation of the self is simply the cessation of one's own clinging and grasping (the 'fist').

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2012, 11:08:44 PM »

Pure Land Buddhism > all others

Wink
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Român Ortodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2012, 05:04:55 PM »

Does buddhism really work?

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2012, 05:23:11 PM »

Only if it's plugged in.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2012, 05:26:40 PM »

Only if it's plugged in.

It doesn`t seem to work for me, though i never seriously invested much into investigating it.. What books can you recomand about Buddhism and the path of Buddhism?

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2012, 05:28:43 PM »

Only if it's plugged in.

It doesn`t seem to work for me, though i never seriously invested much into investigating it.. What books can you recomand about Buddhism and the path of Buddhism?

A good place to start is Thich Nhat Hanh, and his Being Peace. Most of his books are pretty good.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2012, 05:29:16 PM »

Only if it's plugged in.

What did you expect it to do for you?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2012, 05:31:45 PM »

Bring him peace, maybe ; he seems so tormented !

I'll pray for you Azul.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2012, 05:36:47 PM »

In terms of cultivating calmness, most people would agree that Buddhist practice can work for some/many people, as do other, Christian forms of meditation and cultivation.

Whether Buddhism is a path to the total ending of suffering, and the realization of true joy, people will have different perspectives on that issue.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 05:39:29 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2012, 05:43:13 PM »

In terms of cultivating calmness, most people would agree that Buddhist practice can work for some/many people, as do other, Christian forms of meditation and cultivation.

Whether Buddhism is a path to the total ending of suffering, and the realization of true joy, people will have different perspectives on that issue.

well i am looking for purpose and cessation [from affliction,x,y.z]

Mahatma Gandhi
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: