OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 09:12:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Shave November  (Read 477 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« on: November 14, 2012, 01:41:14 PM »

Is anyone else participating this year? I missed about a week before I realized it was that month.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 05:19:48 PM »

Me.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 06:52:08 PM »

No.
Ashman618
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 07:27:52 PM »

Shaving isn't one of my top list priorities anyway so what the heck I haven't shaved this month yet I don't think might as well
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 08:29:41 PM »

One reason TO shave.

Was disgusted by it when I heard about it from yuppie two years ago.

Immediately shaved.

This time of year, especially since I am hiking it a lot, I grow a beard.

If men menstruated, they would act a lot less like idiots.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:30:02 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 09:42:24 PM »

No Shave November is a thing?  What happened to a good old fashioned measuring contest?
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 04:32:45 AM »

Well I won't be shaving, that's for sure. I've had a beard since the summer (my wife finally gave in!) and I'm certainly not going to give her an opportunity to decide she preferred me without. I absolutely despise shaving (and that's the reason I grew the beard, not because I believe it to be more Orthodox).

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 08:53:21 AM »

u are supposed to get people to sponsor u and then give the money to some charity.
unfortunately, after this, the beard is shaved off.
i got excited last year, thinking that beards were becoming fashionable, but then realised it was some charity publicity stunt.
 Sad
i like beards!
especially on men.
 Wink
clever publicity stunt though, i can almost remember which charity it was for!
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 09:04:54 AM »

It's Movember. Movember is about raising money and awareness for prostate cancer. The beard goes, the moustache stays... correct? Or is this just a Canadian thing? I've never heard of No Shave November. Anyway, I now have a filthy little moustache as I've shaved everything but it. Pretty scary/silly looking. No money raising for me. Just an excuse to sport a stache for a short while (short enough to keep my marriage intact, hopefully). 

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 10:27:44 AM »

It's Movember. Movember is about raising money and awareness for prostate cancer. The beard goes, the moustache stays... correct? Or is this just a Canadian thing? I've never heard of No Shave November. Anyway, I now have a filthy little moustache as I've shaved everything but it. Pretty scary/silly looking. No money raising for me. Just an excuse to sport a stache for a short while (short enough to keep my marriage intact, hopefully). 

Regardless, it is gay.

Menstruation compensation.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 11:15:27 AM »

Regardless, it is gay.

Whatever you say.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 11:40:17 AM »

Movember is different from No Shave November. Movember is about growing a moustache for prostate cancer research and cure. No Shave November is just not shaving for the entire month of November.

No Shave November is a thing originating with college students and also some other younger adults. It can either be a competition to see how "manly" of a beard on can grow; or it can just be an excuse for the freedom to not shave for a while. Also, apparently some girls also participate, though this is sometimes in protest against their boyfriends or just as an excuse not to shave their legs or anything.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 11:43:42 AM by 88Devin12 » Logged
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 11:51:38 AM »

Regardless, it is gay.

You're just jealous cause your beards not as big as mine. Wink
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 12:48:06 PM »

Regardless, it is gay.

You're just jealous cause your beards not as big as mine. Wink

I confess... I sometimes suffer from beard envy, too.  Embarrassed

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 01:04:47 PM »

I think i'd give up a bit of my "beard" (or ability to grow one) for hair on the top of my head. Seriously, I'm 24 and the top of my head is seriously thinned out. I'm sure if I grow my hair out on my head and face, I'd probably add 10-20 years onto my appearance.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: