OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 02:25:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox and Classical Education  (Read 280 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: October 29, 2012, 02:48:24 PM »

Are there any Orthodox elementary/secondary schools in the U.S., and do they use classical education/curriculum, like many Catholic schools seem to be doing these days?

DENVER — Like too many other Catholic schools, Our Lady of Lourdes experienced declining enrollment throughout the past decade. By 2008, enrollment at the pre-K-8 school had fallen to just 100 — too low to remain open if the trend continued.

Suddenly, the picture has changed and mere survival no longer reigns supreme, thanks to a recent switch to a classical education curriculum.

Principal Rosemary Anderson credits classical education — known to some as “liberal arts prep” — with upward enrollment and the school’s new enthusiasm.
Like other schools that adopt this mode of instruction, Our Lady of Lourdes’ new curriculum is based on the trivium, a method of learning that focuses on the teaching of grammar, logic and rhetoric. On its website, the Denver school notes that students educated according to this method scored an average of 100 points higher on their SATs in 2011.

“The classical method of education not only provides academic rigor, it also instructs and prepares the students to become independent thinkers … and equips students to be leaders in the community with their ability to communicate logically with their peers and colleagues,” the school website states.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
age234
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 02:54:49 PM »

There are Orthodox schools, but I don't know what curriculum they use. I do think classical curricula should be used more, in all schools.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 03:37:50 PM »

There are Orthodox schools, but I don't know what curriculum they use. I do think classical curricula should be used more, in all schools.

I think the classical method should be used in all schools. If we don't teach wisdom, then we are not creating learners, but rather, cogs for the machine.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: