OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 03:00:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gifts for my Priest and the congregate  (Read 445 times) Average Rating: 0
MichaelofSN
What is even happening right now?

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« on: October 29, 2012, 10:00:16 AM »

Hello,

I am a catechumen with a VERY small OCA military community, and I, along with my wife and children, will be Christmated before Christmas liturgy.  My priest has devoted so much time to us, and is one of the coolest guys I know (my wife and I wait all week just for liturgy).  I'm not a gift guy; I don't like getting them, and I (normally) don't like giving them, etc... I'm terrible at it.  However, I really want to honor my Priest and Matushka and our congregate for all the personal time they've devoted to us.

My question is; what can I get my priest that will be meaningful to an Orthodox clergy?  I know so little about him because all we ever talk about is faith, which makes gift-giving difficult here.  I've thought about just having my wife ask him what Matushka would appreciate as a gift, and myself asking Matushka what he would appreciate.  Even that is difficult because he is paid well and does not want for much.  Ideas?

Also, is it even appropriate for the catechumen to give gifts to the families in the congregate?

Thank you in advance.

Warm regards,
Michael of SN

This jurisdiction: "Mmmmm hmmm!"
That jurisdiction: "Oh *know* she didn't!"
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 10:08:43 AM »

Gift card to an Orthodox bookstore or favorite restaurant?

As for the congregation, perhaps an icon? Or providing a nice lunch after your chrismation?

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 03:46:56 PM »

As for the congregation, perhaps an icon? Or providing a nice lunch after your chrismation?

Go for the restaurant option for your priest. As a PK I can tell you that most parish priests have more than enough books and icons and while he might appreciate another St. Vlad's or Holy Cross or whatever Bookstore gift certificate, Matushka would no doubt rather an evening out!  The lunch is a great idea.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 04:17:44 PM »

Go for the restaurant option for your priest. As a PK I can tell you that most parish priests have more than enough books and icons and while he might appreciate another St. Vlad's or Holy Cross or whatever Bookstore gift certificate, Matushka would no doubt rather an evening out!  The lunch is a great idea.
+1000. My sig-o is PK and is a church organist/chior director. Clergy and church workers usually don't need anymore religious books.

Proverbs 22:7
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 04:32:57 PM »

Who said anything about religious books?  Grin

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 06:43:53 PM »

If the priest has a family, maybe a gift card for a grocery store or warehouse club might be helpful.  If he doesn't have a membership to a warehouse club and there is one in your town, that would be a great gift so that it will help him to feed his family.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 06:46:16 PM »

Everybody likes candy.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 06:50:32 PM »

Yet to meet any Orthodox priest (married or monastic) who doesn't like good wine, good chocolate, and good coffee.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 07:52:02 PM »

Yet to meet any Orthodox priest (married or monastic) who doesn't like good wine, good chocolate, and good coffee.

I knew a Bishop or two who were fond of fine, single malt Scotch as well....
Tags: baptism  gifts  priest 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: