OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 01:00:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hate name  (Read 2196 times) Average Rating: 0
converted viking

« on: October 28, 2012, 03:49:55 PM »

Hi:

So here is the problem.  My given name is Norse and most defiantly pagan and when I was chrismated I took the name Seraphim.  I wish I could get folks at least at the church I am  member of to use it but for what ever reason they stick to the old name.  As a matter of fact I was visiting my daughter up in Virginia and at the church I  went to up there, the priest asked me what my name was. I gave him my chrismation name and was promptly asked, no what is your real name. Annoying. He did this in front of all of the parishioners.  

Seraphim
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 03:54:46 PM by converted viking » Logged
bergschlawiner

Sarisan

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 03:53:47 PM »

Norse pagan?  There are orthodox priests with such western names as Elliot or Jefferson or whatever and even a GC bishop named Judson.  I am sure that some consideration should be given going back to the Norse origins of Kiev-Rus.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 03:56:06 PM »

Hi:

So here is the problem.  My given name is Norse and most defiantly pagan and when I was chrismated I took the name Seraphim.  I wish I could get folks at least at the church I am  member of to use it but for what ever reason they stick to the old name.  As a matter of fact I was visiting my daughter up in Virginia and at the church I  went to up there, the priest asked me what my name was. I gave him my chrismation name and was promptly asked, no what is your real name. Annoying. He did this in front of all of the parishioners.  

Seraphim

if you really want people to call you by your chrismation name, legally change your name and no one can argue with you.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, you lack the proper φρόνημα

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 04:12:46 PM »

So here is the problem.  My given name is Norse and most defiantly pagan and when I was chrismated I took the name Seraphim.  I wish I could get folks at least at the church I am  member of to use it but for what ever reason they stick to the old name.  

Pagan names:

Theophilus

Justinian

Maximus

Olga

Demetrios

Apollos

etc.

If your god is too weak to sanctify a name, is he worthy of worship?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 04:14:20 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
converted viking

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 04:16:55 PM »

Norse pagan?  There are orthodox priests with such western names as Elliot or Jefferson or whatever and even a GC bishop named Judson.  I am sure that some consideration should be given going back to the Norse origins of Kiev-Rus.

Yes I can see your point but.   From the Old Norse name Einarr, derived from the elements ein "one, alone" and arr "warrior". This name shares the same roots as einherjar, the word for the slain warriors in Valhalla.
converted viking

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 04:19:35 PM »

[/quote]

if you really want people to call you by your chrismation name, legally change your name and no one can argue with you.
[/quote]

Very true, major hassle though. (-;
converted viking

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 04:21:07 PM »

So here is the problem.  My given name is Norse and most defiantly pagan and when I was chrismated I took the name Seraphim.  I wish I could get folks at least at the church I am  member of to use it but for what ever reason they stick to the old name.  

Pagan names:

Theophilus

Justinian

Maximus

Olga

Demetrios

Apollos

etc.

If your god is too weak to sanctify a name, is he worthy of worship?

OUCH !!!  OK  point taken.   Well done.    Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 04:23:34 PM by converted viking » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 04:39:51 PM »

Many saints had non christian names. St. Ansgar's name derives from the older Asgeirr, which means "spear of the æsir"

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 07:12:15 PM »

There was a certain Bishop Lucifer, whom some consider a saint.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer_of_Cagliari

Lucifer Calaritanus (Italian: Lucifero da Cagliari) (d. May 20, 370 or 371) was a bishop of Cagliari in Sardinia known for his passionate opposition to Arianism. He is venerated as a Saint in Sardinia, though his status remains controversial.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 07:12:39 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 07:17:40 PM »

Lucifer Calaritanus (Italian: Lucifero da Cagliari) (d. May 20, 370 or 371) was a bishop of Cagliari in Sardinia known for his passionate opposition to Arianism. He is venerated as a Saint in Sardinia, though his status remains controversial.

You learn something everyday.

What was up with that guy's parents, though?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 07:26:06 PM »

There's even a Cardinal Zen. I hope he can be Pope Zen one day.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 07:26:43 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, you lack the proper φρόνημα

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 07:28:33 PM »

OUCH !!!  OK  point taken.   Well done.    Thanks.

Always worth keeping things in perspective.  Wink

Sorry if that was a bit harsh, I was trying to bring out the conclusions we sometimes don't realize.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 07:30:01 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
converted viking

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 07:58:35 PM »

Thanks everyone for helping me get some perspective on this issue.   Hmmmmm, I wonder if I should use the handle Orthodox Vangarian? laugh
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 04:31:48 AM »

You learn something everyday.

What was up with that guy's parents, though?

It just means 'light bringer'. It's not necessarily got the satanic connotations in other languages that it does in English. For instance, in Romanian Luceafar is much more likely to be a reference to the morning star than it is to a demon.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 05:02:27 AM »

FWIW, Photophoros and its Slavic equivalent do not exist as Orthodox Christian names. Can't be a coincidence.
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 06:31:01 AM »

FWIW, Photophoros and its Slavic equivalent do not exist as Orthodox Christian names. Can't be a coincidence.

To the best of my knowledge, nobody's ever baptised Luceafar in Romania either, but I was replying only to the effect that it may not have had the connotations to his parents that it has to English speakers. Assuming that the morning/evening star connotation in Romanian is a common Latin one (which seems reasonable) it's quite possible that it looked totally innocuous to bishop Lucifer's parents (and they could quite easily have been pagan anyway). In fact, it could conceivably have been seen as a very positive name - a secondary meaning in Romanian is as an epithet for a man with exceptional qualities (according to the DEX - I've never heard it used as such myself). Having said that, Lucifer (which is effectively the same name in a slightly different form) does refer to Satan in Romanian, I just think it's interesting that a positive connotation remains, at least in part, in at least one romance language.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 12:02:46 AM »

Phosphoros would be the word in Greek and Danica in Slavic languages.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 12:10:02 AM by Jason.Wike » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 01:09:54 AM »

Be polite but firm. When people ask me what my real name is, I say, "Gebre Menfes Kidus is my real name. It's the name God gave me at my baptism, so that's the name I choose to go by."

If they disrespect your baptism name, they disrespect God. Never be ashamed of your Christian name! Smiley

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 01:28:20 AM »

My given name is... most defiantly pagan

So are the names of all of our saints (except for maybe the names that have a Jewish origin).

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 07:26:41 AM »

"Fósforo" is the Portuguese word for matches. Smiley

Does this mean everytime we light a match we burn a little demon's head? Cheesy

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 07:39:32 AM »

"Fósforo" is the Portuguese word for matches. Smiley

Does this mean everytime we light a match we burn a little demon's head? Cheesy

Interestingly enough, a now obsolete and old fashioned English term for a match is a lucifer too.

James
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 07:39:47 AM by jmbejdl » Logged

age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 08:53:13 AM »

Yes I can see your point but.   From the Old Norse name Einarr, derived from the elements ein "one, alone" and arr "warrior". This name shares the same roots as einherjar, the word for the slain warriors in Valhalla.

Then it's your task to sanctify the name Einarr! Become a saint and someday people will take it as a Christian name.

Because, while many saints may have taken Christian names, frequently they are known by their secular names in the Church.
choy
Archon

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 02:48:14 PM »

There's even a Cardinal Zen. I hope he can be Pope Zen one day.

That pales in comparisson to former Manila Archbishop (of Blessed Memory) Jaime Cardinal Sin
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2012, 12:53:22 AM »

If it's any consolation, I really dislike my baptismal name and wish I could exchange it for my secular name.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, 03:50:36 PM »

If it's any consolation, I really dislike my baptismal name and wish I could exchange it for my secular name.

Haralambos?
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2012, 06:56:46 PM »

Haralambos?

Hahaha, no, I suppose things could be worse.

It's Ioannis, which I don't mind all that much, but it invariably becomes "Yanni" or "Yannaki" *shudder*.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2012, 09:52:24 PM »

Haralambos?

It's Ioannis, which I don't mind all that much, but it invariably becomes "Yanni" or "Yannaki" *shudder*.

You could start only answering to Johann or Johannes or Juan or whatever John is in Japanese.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 10:45:12 PM »

Haralambos?

You could start only answering to Johann or Johannes or Juan or whatever John is in Japanese.

Everyone knows the Orthodox way of saying John is Ivan.
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 11:37:06 PM »

Tell the priest that you have abandoned your old, pagan name and wish to beknown by your Christian name. There should not be an issue---he is required to call you at Communion by your christian name. If there is a further problem discuss it with your bishop. I don't think it will get to that point. The importnat thing to rmember is that if you ever do make sainthood you will be called Saint (your pagan name) as that is how the church increases the saintly names of the church.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
converted viking

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2012, 11:26:23 AM »

Tell the priest that you have abandoned your old, pagan name and wish to beknown by your Christian name. There should not be an issue---he is required to call you at Communion by your christian name. If there is a further problem discuss it with your bishop. I don't think it will get to that point. The importnat thing to rmember is that if you ever do make sainthood you will be called Saint (your pagan name) as that is how the church increases the saintly names of the church.

Thomas

Hi Thomas.  My Parish priest and the deacon do use my Christian name.  The issue was what happened while I was visiting at another church and my fellow parishioners being more comfortable with my old name<apparently> . In hindsight I guess it is not a big deal and at least it has  provoked some thoughtful discussion here.

Seraphim   
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2012, 05:08:09 PM »

Haralambos?

Vanyuchka, Vanya, etc. No one goes by Ivan except the tsar, and then it's "Gosudar."

Everyone knows the Orthodox way of saying John is Ivan.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Nathanael

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2012, 06:08:31 PM »

There's even a saint Ahmed.

"Orthodoxy is the very nature of man" - Father Rafail Noica
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2012, 09:03:04 PM »

Hi:

Seraphim

Why don't we go one better and copy the error I made. Secretly resent Jewish people who have "Christian" names like John

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
converted viking

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2012, 10:09:10 PM »

Hi:

Seraphim

Why don't we go one better and copy the error I made. Secretly resent Jewish people who have "Christian" names like John

I'm sorry, I must be stupid as I don't get what you are trying to say.

Seraphim
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2012, 10:16:47 PM »

You could get a bowling shirt with a nickname on it. Then everybody would call you that. Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2012, 10:33:07 PM »

Hi:

Seraphim

I'm sorry, I must be stupid as I don't get what you are trying to say.

Seraphim

I am sorry for not being clear. I guess I was just saying we don't need to let a name become such an obstacle.

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2012, 11:59:54 PM »

I've asked obvious converts what their "real name" is, but it's always out of curiosity & to give me one more thing to connect to them with.

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
VarangianGuard

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2012, 10:43:45 AM »

ConvertedViking,

Be proud of your Norse name, mate.
Christians did not shun "Jol" (Yule), but they sanctified it.

I don't really get the idea why  Greek, Middle Eastern or Slavic names are more holy than other names. They were once pagan too.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2012, 11:13:40 AM »

I've asked obvious converts what their "real name" is, but it's always out of curiosity & to give me one more thing to connect to them with.

How do you tell when someone is an obvious convert?  I just want to compare notes.  Usually I know when they come up and their name is something like "Procopius" and they aren't wearing track pants with a leather jacket.  I find that a dead give away.
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2012, 11:47:08 AM »

Saint Olav's name was actually Ōleifr in Old Norse, which means "ancestor's heirloom". If St. Olav was okay with a pagan name, you will be okay. Smiley

Forgive my sins.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2012, 06:20:12 PM »

How do you tell when someone is an obvious convert?  I just want to compare notes.  Usually I know when they come up and their name is something like "Procopius" and they aren't wearing track pants with a leather jacket.  I find that a dead give away.

it's hard to explain.  If I see an African American whose name is "Seraphim" that's a dead give away.  But yah, interesting names are usually a give away no matter what the person looks like.  Even greek people with the name "Barsanuphios" are suspect in my book. 

Sorry, I don't really have an answer for you, but I do always say "oh common, what's your real name" which they arn't usually fans of.  I'm just trying to get to know them though. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
converted viking

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2012, 09:10:52 PM »

Thanks to all who responded to my post, there have been interesting discussions here and replies that have put me more at ease.

Einar aka Seraphim
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2012, 11:56:35 PM »

Someone is probably going to yell at me for this…but you could consider the Greek close equivalent of your name…which translates into English as "one who fights alone": Monomakhos.

Seriously don't worry over much about it. The germanic word God/Gott that we use without blinking an eye instead of Greek term Theos was in origin a generic term for demon/spirt. Consider the closely related English word giddy (original sense…a little bit possessed/out of one's normal mind)

My given name is Robert. It was once an epithet of the god Thor (means bright/shining with fame), but there is in Slovakia and neighboring Germanic coasts a St. Rupert from about AD 900 or so. Rupert/Robert same name…same origin. A name is what you make it (a rose is a rose)…fulfill the best possible meanings of the name by your life in Christ…the day may well come when you or another lone warrior are responsible for a convert in the following generation not having to ask if its a saint's name. It will be.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 12:06:43 AM by Seraphim98 » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: