OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 02:51:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Low Mass" (Mass without singing) in the Western Rite?  (Read 1665 times) Average Rating: 0
MichaelArchangelos

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer

« on: October 27, 2012, 03:22:09 AM »

In his book The Orthodox Church, Bishop Kallistos makes the point that the Divine Liturgy is not normally served on a daily basis and that there is no "low" Divine Liturgy, i.e. there is no version of the Divine Liturgy that doesn't have any singing. However, in Roman Catholicism and Anglicanism, there is a "Low Mass" or "Said Celebration" where the service is performed by the priest and maybe a server, but without any singing (although a Roman Catholic Low Mass can have hymns). My question is, does such a thing exist in the Western Rite? Do Western Rite churches ever offer a weekday Mass without any singing, or is a sung liturgy always insisted upon?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 12:41:20 PM »

I've seen it on church calendars in one WRO parish. "Low" masses have been done since the sixth century in the West. I don't really care for the practice, personally, but they were done in Orthodox times. They became more widespread later.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 01:25:17 PM »

I've seen it on church calendars in one WRO parish. "Low" masses have been done since the sixth century in the West. I don't really care for the practice, personally, but they were done in Orthodox times.

So was filioque Wink

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 01:46:19 PM »

I have heard on Mt. Athos and other places that monks that do daily services blaze through the petitions by basically saying the parts rather than doing a more formal chanting/singing which takes longer.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 01:51:48 PM »

Yes.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 06:21:04 PM »

I've seen it on church calendars in one WRO parish. "Low" masses have been done since the sixth century in the West. I don't really care for the practice, personally, but they were done in Orthodox times.

So was filioque Wink

Yes. And if you actually look into its history beyond the assertions of St. Photius, you will find that there was very little theological writing in support for filioque in the West, in the way of justifying its use, until after the schism. It was added to the creed, and then spread, but people did not appear to understand it and justify it over against single procession. If you can prove otherwise, I'd love to see it. Otherwise, it's a red herring.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 06:48:25 PM »

I've been to a WRO low mass.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 06:48:44 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
Christopher McAvoy
Never forget the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate & all persecuted christians!
Elder

Faith: orthodóxis, atque cathólice et apostólice fídei
Jurisdiction: Latin Catholic from the 12th c.

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 07:19:47 PM »

I've seen it on church calendars in one WRO parish. "Low" masses have been done since the sixth century in the West. I don't really care for the practice, personally, but they were done in Orthodox times. They became more widespread later.

I had read this elsewhere:

The nave belonged to all the people of the city, not just its government. Various groups crearted their own semiprivate spaces there by constructing chapels off the side ailes and by endowing altars. Bologna's duomo had at eight chapels, each supplied with a chaplain. Chapels multipied in cathedrals and larger churches throughout the 1200s. City and commercial corporations built them; wealthy families endowed them as replacements for the older capelle gentilizie in their own houses. This switch marks, perhaps, the older aristrocracy's integration into the new republican regime. Such chapels were tiny churches in themselves, separated from the aisle by an openwork iron or wooden grill, which left them visible to those outside. Inside, patrons found themselves in an intimate space, standing only a few feet from the altar.
Each chaplain was obligated to perform the Office and Mass, and in this age when the quiet Low Mass did not yet exist, he sang them. Sometimes worshippers at one chapel service would have been aware of them music coming from other parts of the building. If the singers tried to match each other in volume, morning in the nave would have presented visitors with a holy dissonance.

a quotation from: "Cities of God: Religion in the Italian Communes 1125-1325 by my friend, Fr. Augustine Thompson

Origins in the sixth century for low mass? That is the first time I have heard this assertion. I am certain that is untrue. The low mass was never made official until after the Council of Trent, circa 1550. The low mass is one of the well known contributing factors to degradation of latin liturgy since the reformation, I know of no positive advantages that it brought the church, only inevitably harm. The minimalist legalistic "low mass" mentality, a mentality that views the liturgy as a "mere obligation to be fulfilled" rather than something matching about in more obvious form the "heavenly liturgy on earth" paved the way for faithful acceptance of the reforms of Vatican II. The "Low mass" mentality paved the way for accepting that the "protestantization of roman catholicism" is a good and holy thing.

The origin of daily mass, now that probably does originate in the sixth century, perhaps thats what you were meaning to say.  
Daily Mass is not surprising given the more monastic/celibate context of bishops and post-4th c. latin rite priests (celibacy was required beginning at the end of 4th c.).

I don't think daily mass is an issue, and in the context of a married orthodox latin rite priest, they would not have daily masses anyway due to many reasons. Nearly all the reasons are identical to those of why an orthodox priest using the byzantine rite does not have daily mass.

An exception however, could be during the great forty day fast (Lent) and Advent times, when there is more incentive to have a daily mass.

I do not believe that Low mass is appropriate for any Church, anywhere, except as a rare exception during difficult circumstances, an emergency if such a thing exists.  The extent to which they occur is unfortunate and hopefully not going to continue into the future.
It's worth noting that ROCOR appears to have a stronger discouragement against the low mass than the Antiochians, though 90% of the WR Churches in both vicariates do not have them.  The ones I am thinking of that have had them are in Colorado, which we might say that is an example of them carring into an Orthodox an unnecessary element of their anglican past. The same churches tend to have many advantageous blessings also however, for example, when they do sing, which they usually do, they sing extraordinarily well !
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 07:36:08 PM by Christopher McAvoy » Logged

"and for all who are Orthodox, and who hold the Catholic and Apostolic Faith, remember, O Lord, thy servants" - yet the post-conciliar RC hierarchy is tolerant of everyone and everything... except Catholic Tradition, for modernists are as salt with no taste, to be “thrown out and trampled under foot
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 09:09:23 PM »

We did a low mass once, I forgot the reasnoing behind it. I felt kind of weird Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
militantsparrow
Laurence
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

militantsparrow
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 08:42:37 PM »

We have them periodically. 

"Yeah, the sparrow hath found an house..." -Psalm 84:3
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 08:49:01 PM »

I would only consider becoming a priest if there was no singing involved.

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 10:12:39 PM »

Though it was ER, I have been to what can only be described as a shouted liturgy. Would you consider the priesthood if that was on the table?

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 07:52:51 AM »

The Catholic Encyclopedia claims it as a medieval monastic development, arising out of the multiplicity of ordained monks and the requirement to say a daily mass.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 10:51:52 AM »

Though it was ER, I have been to what can only be described as a shouted liturgy. Would you consider the priesthood if that was on the table?

I fully endorse this new development.  When will the shouted liturgy begin to spread to other parishes?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 11:09:15 AM »

I fully endorse this new development.  When will the shouted liturgy begin to spread to other parishes?

We've mostly all been to a few of those with an awful chanter and a priest who couldn't sing in tune..... Smiley
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 06:03:42 PM »

We've mostly all been to a few of those with an awful chanter and a priest who couldn't sing in tune..... Smiley

My first Orthodox pascha consisted of standing around in a circle and reading the canon of St. John of Damascus. Awkward, but still Pascha. Smiley

Fr.Aidan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 09:11:01 PM »

Low Masses are known in the Orthodox East and in the Western Rite. However, the traditional view of them was that they were discouraged. At least in the 15th century, in England, it was considered quite disrespectful to do a low Mass, when you could chant a high or sung Mass. But monastics and hermits often had their low Masses in East and West.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: